Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm happy to hear that this gun has been quite reliable.  I'm very interested in the 6.5 Grendel C model, but I don't know if I'll have the patience to search one out.  For me it might come down to whether I can find one of these before I can find a Desert Tech MDR, assuming those also prove reliable and reasonably accurate.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm happy to hear that this gun has been quite reliable.  I'm very interested in the 6.5 Grendel C model, but I don't know if I'll have the patience to search one out.  For me it might come down to whether I can find one of these before I can find a Desert Tech MDR, assuming those also prove reliable and reasonably accurate.
View Quote

My thoughts precisely.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My thoughts precisely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts precisely.

I'm in on the group buy on the mdr too so I'll post up thoughts about that when it arrives.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Things I don't like:
This list hasn't changed much since the very first time I held/shot the rifle. I still don't like the sling mounts. I spent the day hog hunting in the woods and the lack of QD sling mounts continues to baffle me. Even if you are not a QD sling person the sling that comes with the RDB isn't the best in the world. I could easily swap out to a nicer hook style sling but if you are a QD guy like I am then this will still irk you. The only other real downside for me is that the handguard retention pin gets very hot when the rifle is fired over a period of time. Wearing gloves will mitigate this but it is a design flaw that I would imagine could be fixed easily.

As far as the concern with the pin holding the hand guard on goes are you sure its pushed in all the way? I.E. you should feel a detent pop into place once its fully seated and its well back from flush with the hand guard on my RDB at least, and I can't reach the pin even if I try to force my finger into the hole for it.
I haven't noticed the heat at all from the pin while shooting.
Just an observation, the picture appears to show the pin almost on the outside edge of the polymer hand guard.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The pin is as far in as it will go. It isn't an issue really with normal shooting but after an entire day at the range or with rapid shooting the pin puts off some serious heat. As I have said in other places I am precious with my hands and despise hot things so maybe i'm just being girly about it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Haha, I see, I ended up putting a foregrip on mine anyways as the conventional rifle hold on the fore end given my size is less than comfortable and that negates the issue all together as my hand placement now misses the pin but it was never an issue for me.

I sure hope we see some aftermarket support for handguards to replace the factory one with something with rails or M-lok slots. Yes I'm looking at you Midwest Industries.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Only problems I have withe pin heating up are with my fingertips.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for doing this! I have been scouring for any info on this gun that I can find and their really isn't much about it.  I am really anxious to see how the 1:7 twist barrels do in the accuracy department (yours looks very promising)
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
next gun on my list is a bullpup. been reading and watching reviews on the RDB, seems a good gun for the price.

Kel tec's website http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifle/rdb MSRP is $1272.73 but notice the few places that are selling them, have marked them up anywhere from $300-700.

hopefully we can see them below MSRP once they go full production and flood the market.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
next gun on my list is a bullpup. been reading and watching reviews on the RDB, seems a good gun for the price.

Kel tec's website http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifle/rdb MSRP is $1272.73 but notice the few places that are selling them, have marked them up anywhere from $300-700.

hopefully we can see them below MSRP once they go full production and flood the market.
View Quote

Kel-Tec doesn't have the availability to flood the market. So long as their popularity doesn't skyrocket you might be able to find them at sane prices in a few years.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#11]
If the handguard retaining pin only secures the handguard, would a polymer pin be able to replace the metal pin?
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If the handguard retaining pin only secures the handguard, would a polymer pin be able to replace the metal pin?
View Quote

My concern would be that it would melt due to heat transfer from the barrel. It's nothing that putting some kind of heat resistant cap on the pin or making sure the pin seats further into the hole wouldn't fix though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Just keeping this out of the archives.

Has anyone seen a single example of the 1x7 guns? Supposedly only the initial run of 200 was 1x9 then full productions guns are supposedly 1x7 but I've yet to see a single example in the wild. It seems like they have yet to ship any new guns this year.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Has anyone seen a single example of the 1x7 guns? Supposedly only the initial run of 200 was 1x9 then full productions guns are supposedly 1x7 but I've yet to see a single example in the wild. It seems like they have yet to ship any new guns this year.
View Quote

As far as I am aware none of the 1/7 twists are out yet but apparently Keltec is gearing up for a run. However my information sources are the same as yours so who knows when that will be.

In the meantime I'm still shooting mine and enjoying it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Has anyone seen a single example of the 1x7 guns?
Supposedly only the initial run of 200 was 1x9 then full productions guns are supposedly 1x7 but I've yet to see a single example in the wild. It seems like they have yet to ship any new guns this year.
View Quote

I haven't seen an example of any of their guns! RDBs are rare birds. I had hopes of one day owning an M43.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I haven't seen an example of any of their guns! RDBs are rare birds. I had hopes of one day owning an M43.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has anyone seen a single example of the 1x7 guns?
Supposedly only the initial run of 200 was 1x9 then full productions guns are supposedly 1x7 but I've yet to see a single example in the wild. It seems like they have yet to ship any new guns this year.

I've managed to find a CMR-30 and PMR-30 in the past month so they're getting out there, just not the RDB.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Best Bullpup all the way around IMO regardless of the money. The only thing it hasnt proven is longevity and i have no worries in that regard as mine has easily over 3k rounds with no sign of abnormal or even slightly accelerated wear.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#18]
even slickguns can't find any for sale
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Op, thank you for taking the time.  

Very happy to hear it is working well.  Very interested about its recoil impulse.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#20]
This seems very interesting as a full time suppressed gun.  How is it with blowback and such?  I really hate getting gas in the face
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#21]
MAC did a video where I think he shot his supressed. I don't have a supressor so I wouldn't know having said that there is no way for the gas to escape in the shooters face so I would imagine they are pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This seems very interesting as a full time suppressed gun.  How is it with blowback and such?  I really hate getting gas in the face
View Quote

I shoot mine suppressed almost exclusively.  There is NO blowback on this rifle and the adjustable gas makes for a very smooth operation. Short of a bolt action rifle, the RDB is the best suppressed performing weapon I have used, MUCH better-suppressed performance than the Tavor or the AUG. Its like the weapon was designed to be shot suppressed, its as quiet as my 16" AR with no piston pop. If they ever come out with a 300blk version...i would get that also
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Aeneas....GREAT THREAD!  Thank you for taking the time to do this.  I'm even considering buying one of these and I am NOT a Kel Tec OR a bullpup fan.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got to say all the things I've heard about the RDB have been very positive, it's beginning to make me want one over the (non-SBR'd) MDR. I'd love for these to hurry and hit production, after Kel-Tec meets the initial backlog, if they can sustain production levels, the street price on these should be pretty reasonable and should undercut pretty much all their bullpup competitors. It also looks to suppress a lot nicer than my Tavor that everyone complains is relatively gassy, though suppressor gas to face has never really bothered me much.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  Okay, that gives me something to work with.

It seems I'm going to need a 3.5 to 4" muzzle device...
Ugh.
View Quote

Golf ball launcher should get you there.  Heavy, but you should be able to get someone to turn it down a bit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Aeneas....GREAT THREAD!  Thank you for taking the time to do this.  I'm even considering buying one of these and I am NOT a Kel Tec OR a bullpup fan.
View Quote

Thanks when I have some time this summer I'm going to do a quick vid review of it but I'm still impressed thus far
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Golf ball launcher should get you there.  Heavy, but you should be able to get someone to turn it down a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Okay, that gives me something to work with.

It seems I'm going to need a 3.5 to 4" muzzle device...
Ugh.

KAK flash can?  Is this for CA or MI?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#28]
A faux xm177 moderator might get you there also
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  A faux xm177 moderator might get you there also
View Quote

Probably the lighter option.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:51:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That was the thing bushmaster put on 10.5" barrels, long ass flashider?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:52:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes - a non-functioning imitation of Colt's suppressor on the XM177 submachinegun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Aeneas, I am assuming that the full length rail under the fore end is molded directly into the fore end.....i.e., it is not removable?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Aeneas, I am assuming that the full length rail under the fore end is molded directly into the fore end.....i.e., it is not removable?
View Quote

that's correct. I've contacted kel tec because I wanted to order a couple more....I really wanted to make my own wood one and then paint and chop on another couple to see what I could do with them. However they told me that the only parts available are listed on their website and that the handguards are all being used for production rifles, which is fair enough but it would still be nice to be able to purchase spare parts (especially as production rifles seem to have vanished).
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
that's correct. I've contacted kel tec because I wanted to order a couple more....I really wanted to make my own wood one and then paint and chop on another couple to see what I could do with them. However they told me that the only parts available are listed on their website and that the handguards are all being used for production rifles, which is fair enough but it would still be nice to be able to purchase spare parts (especially as production rifles seem to have vanished).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're thinking exactly what I am thinking.  I am thinking of milling of the back 5/6 of the rail and then lining the fore end with carbon fiber.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#35]
When you talked to Kel-Tec I don't guess they happened to mention if they'd actually ship some production rifles this year did they? lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When you talked to Kel-Tec I don't guess they happened to mention if they'd actually ship some production rifles this year did they? lol
View Quote

No it was a lady on the other end of the phone she spent all of 10 seconds talking to me the hung up. That was a couple of months ago now though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes - a non-functioning imitation of Colt's suppressor on the XM177 submachinegun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Griffin makes one that is a reproduction of the xm177 mount, it is not the same inside being that the xm177 moderater was ruled a silencer, but is a functional linear comp.

Also,KAK came out w an extra long flash can, 5". It is a aluminum, which is no problem for durability was it doesn't contain ports or vents that deal with pressure, it is just a cone, but I don't know if it can be permattached
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  Griffin makes one that is a reproduction of the xm177 mount, it is not the same inside being that the xm177 moderater was ruled a silencer, but is a functional linear comp.

Also,KAK came out w an extra long flash can, 5". It is a aluminum, which is no problem for durability was it doesn't contain ports or vents that deal with pressure, it is just a cone, but I don't know if it can be permattached
View Quote

Silver solder?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#39]
So...my local shop has a lot of black rifle type stuff and they stock a lot of cans and bullpups, too.  The did NOT have an RDB in stock.

What they DID have was an RFB.  So....I checked it out.

Guys...I have AWLAYS hated Kel Tec.  I looked at them as the Tec 9 makers of the twenty first century.  Every Kel Tec I EVER looked at, seemed VERY interesting from a manufacturing perspective.....but the workmanship was always shit. I also always thought that if they stepped up their materials science a bit, their designs, if made right, would actually have some merit.  So, I have always seen Kel Tec as "not so serious" about making good guns...more like guys with interesting manufacturing ideas that don't know shit about how firearms REALLY need to be made.

If the RFB is any indicator.....Kel Tec has SERIOUSLY stepped up their game.  Holy shit....now, mind you I need to shoot one for a few strings, but DAMN I was SERIOUSLY impressed.  The RFB was utterly the most rock solid bullpup I have ever felt.  I was REALLLLY expecting the forend plastic to be super chincy but it was VERY stable.  

....the action was not only smooth but positive and solid as all hell.

...and the trigger.....best bullpup trigger I have very pulled.  Hands down.  It was fantastic.  The only reason I did not walk away with it is that I don't want to worry about buying MORE, DIFFERENT mags for a new gun....AND....I felt that in .308 that it would beat me like a puppy.

THAT being said...I am on the list to view an RDB when one comes in.  I will check it out and give my impressions...but if they keep this up.....they just very well may make me a convert.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So...my local shop has a lot of black rifle type stuff and they stock a lot of cans and bullpups, too.  The did NOT have an RDB in stock.

What they DID have was an RFB.  So....I checked it out.

Guys...I have AWLAYS hated Kel Tec.  I looked at them as the Tec 9 makers of the twenty first century.  Every Kel Tec I EVER looked at, seemed VERY interesting from a manufacturing perspective.....but the workmanship was always shit. I also always thought that if they stepped up their materials science a bit, their designs, if made right, would actually have some merit.  So, I have always seen Kel Tec as "not so serious" about making good guns...more like guys with interesting manufacturing ideas that don't know shit about how firearms REALLY need to be made.

If the RFB is any indicator.....Kel Tec has SERIOUSLY stepped up their game.  Holy shit....now, mind you I need to shoot one for a few strings, but DAMN I was SERIOUSLY impressed.  The RFB was utterly the most rock solid bullpup I have ever felt.  I was REALLLLY expecting the forend plastic to be super chincy but it was VERY stable.  

....the action was not only smooth but positive and solid as all hell.

...and the trigger.....best bullpup trigger I have very pulled.  Hands down.  It was fantastic.  The only reason I did not walk away with it is that I don't want to worry about buying MORE, DIFFERENT mags for a new gun....AND....I felt that in .308 that it would beat me like a puppy.

THAT being said...I am on the list to view an RDB when one comes in.  I will check it out and give my impressions...but if they keep this up.....they just very well may make me a convert.
View Quote

Some people have said the tfb is a fine rifle. The ones I've handled have always had good fit and finish. However iirc they were plagued by a finicky gas system and some other issues, plus the usual lack of after market kel tec support. They definitely feel more solid that my rdb but my rdb has been 100% reliable and dead nuts accurate every time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#41]
The thing I noticed in the vids was that the gas tube seemed to have an awfully short working distance.  The other thing, interestingly, was that in each case, the gas port diameter appeared to be too small....so everyone was having to open the gun wide up to get it to run.  You think Kel Tec would have erred a bit further to a larger diameter since the gas system is VERY adjustable.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The thing I noticed in the vids was that the gas tube seemed to have an awfully short working distance.  The other thing, interestingly, was that in each case, the gas port diameter appeared to be too small....so everyone was having to open the gun wide up to get it to run.  You think Kel Tec would have erred a bit further to a larger diameter since the gas system is VERY adjustable.
View Quote

I think that's why they did such a thorough job on the RDB gas system. It will be interesting to see if at some point they decide to do a larger RDB in 308 as I don't think they are still producing RFBs.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#43]
For those that are too lazy to read:

Please note I am not a pro reviewer so take this for what it is.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I really want one of these.....they need to get them rolling out and priced sub $1000
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:39:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I really want one of these.....they need to get them rolling out and priced sub $1000
View Quote

I keep hearing keltec wants to undo their reputation of making 5 guns a year, if that holds true (lol), given an MSRP of 1270 I wouldn't be surprised if it settled at around 1k eventually. From everything I'm hearing, this is quite a lot of rifle for that....if they can produce in volume to meet demand.

Unfortunately, given their track record, I won't hold my breath. But the KSG did finally meet demand, so maybe they're getting better after all.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Okay, I need to confirm something. I am close to buying an RDB, but there are several hoops in my state which I need to jump
through in order to do so.

When I order it, I need to have a muzzle device in hand, basically a compensator, that is long enough to bring the rifle's OAL up to 29" in order to receive the rifle
from the FFL.  Basically, I need to have the exact measurements ahead of time, just to be able to receive the rifle from the FFL, because once it is delivered to my FFL, he
then must permanently install the muzzle device before transferring it to me. So I have to be absolutely certain about the measurement before I order.

Can someone who owns this rifle double check the length of the rifle, just before the point at which the compensator is added?

I need to know basically, how long the compensator needs to be in order to bring the rifle up to 29", and I need to know this well before I order the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#47]
This is very odd.

I called Keltec today to get direct technical info on the RDB and even the customer service reps gave
me different answers to the rifle's OAL length, depending on which person I spoke to.

The website lists the RDB as having an OAL of 27.4" but that doesn't say if that's with the factory flashhider or without it.
If it is with it, then how long is the flashhider so I can substract it, or how long is it without the flashhider?

One rep said the OAL for the RDB is just under 29" with the flashhider, 27.4" without it.

Another one said the rifle is 27.1" without the flashhider, 27.4" with it, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

One of the persons I spoke to even used measuring tape to measure a barrel he had next to his desk, but that was
the barrel when removed from the rifle, which doesn't offer me the information I need.

I don't understand. If someone asked me about the overall length of one of my personal rifles, I could carefully measure
it and provide a very exact figure. I don't understand why this is so difficult.

So far, Aeneas2020 is the only person from whom I've heard an exact figure, I just
want to double check that to confirm, before I order the rifle.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Okay, so update.

Since it seems the RDB uses a standardl A2 Birdcage flashhider, I would just measure the length of the flashhiders on my Tavor and AR15.
They both came to a hair over 1.75"  

I substracted that from the website listing of 27.4" OAL and it came to just over 25.5" which is what Aeneas202 told me that he measured.

So that pretty much confirms to me that I need a 3.5" compensator.  

Can the handguard be removed fairly easily from the RDB in order to pin and weld a muzzle device?
I doubt Keltec would do this for me as they seem to be pretty busy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Okay, so update.

Since it seems the RDB uses a standardl A2 Birdcage flashhider, I would just measure the length of the flashhiders on my Tavor and AR15.
They both came to a hair over 1.75"  

I substracted that from the website listing of 27.4" OAL and it came to just over 25.5" which is what Aeneas202 told me that he measured.

So that pretty much confirms to me that I need a 3.5" compensator.  

Can the handguard be removed fairly easily from the RDB in order to pin and weld a muzzle device?
I doubt Keltec would do this for me as they seem to be pretty busy.
View Quote

The handguard comes off by pushing out one pin
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Cool.

So at this point, my main issue is finding an A2 style compensator/flashhider that is 3.5" long.

I've been googling all afternoon looking for one and nothing has come up, besides a few that are over 5"
which is not acceptable for me.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way to obtain one is to have one custom made to this specification.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top