Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe this HK style flashhider would work for you, it says it is 3.875"

http://mfiap.com/i-11649019-super-sale-mfi-hk-g28-dmr-style-muzzle-brake-3-875-long-in-1-2-x-28-tpi.html

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Is that a real flash hider, or is it just for appearances?
Would that work for the RDB, assuming the RDB has AR15 type threading dimensions?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Would that work for the RDB, assuming the RDB has AR15 type threading dimensions?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't know how well it works...It appears that it should fit.  

Our you could see if you can find a machinist to make you a really long A2. I keep seeing that there is a guy that goes by Moses over at Fal Files that used to make custom muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Our you could see if you can find a machinist to make you a really long A2. I keep seeing that there is a guy that goes by Moses over at Fal Files that used to make custom muzzle devices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is he still around? Do you know of his website or email?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I think he is the guy that has mosesmag.com
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
deleted post
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, I decided to go with the Veriforce Tactical Slim Pig muzzle brake.

https://www.veriforcetactical.com/product/ar-15-slant-cut-flash-hiding-slim-pig-cone-for-5-56/

The slim pig has an OAL of 3.25" which means I would need to add another .25"
of a washer or spacer to get it to the total OAL for my needs.

It has an AR15 thread pitch.  Does the RDB have a compatible thread pitch?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Cool.

So at this point, my main issue is finding an A2 style compensator/flashhider that is 3.5" long.

I've been googling all afternoon looking for one and nothing has come up, besides a few that are over 5"
which is not acceptable for me.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way to obtain one is to have one custom made to this specification.
View Quote

Just get a fake XM177 moderator, have it pinned & welded, and then saw off the extra once you get it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  Okay, I decided to go with the Veriforce Tactical Slim Pig muzzle brake.

https://www.veriforcetactical.com/product/ar-15-slant-cut-flash-hiding-slim-pig-cone-for-5-56/

View Quote

You told us the RDB has a standard A2 flash hider.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Okay, I decided to go with the Veriforce Tactical Slim Pig muzzle brake.

It does.. Why is that relevant? I don't see why the muzzle device I posted here wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's my concern.

The veriforce tactical slim pig muzzle brake is made of T6 Aluminum.

I'm worried that it might be too weak of a metal for a muzzle break.

I asked the guy on the phone and he said that it wouldn't have any issues,
but I'm still worried about it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's my concern.

View Quote

I think you'll be alright. I wouldn't expect 1000 years of life out of it but even so i think you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think you'll be alright. I wouldn't expect 1000 years of life out of it but even so i think you'll be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my concern.

Do you think it is strong enough to get pinned and welded to a barrel? It will infact be permanently fixed to the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:04:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Okay. My gunsmith asked me some questions.

What is the length of threading from the shoulder of the barrel to the
end of the barrel?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Okay. My gunsmith asked me some questions.

What is the length of threading from the shoulder of the barrel to the
end of the barrel?
View Quote

I'm not going to be in a position to answer that any time soon I'm afraid. I'd probably contact kel tec and ask them
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It does.. Why is that relevant? I don't see why the muzzle device I posted here wouldn't work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

B/c you're asking if the RDB has a compatible thread pitch.  The RDB has a standard A2 flash hider, ergo, it has a standard thread pitch.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do you think it is strong enough to get pinned and welded to a barrel? It will infact be permanently fixed to the barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Here's my concern.

Can you weld a steel pin to T6 aluminum?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Here's my concern.

I don't know. That's why I'm asking here.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Do you think it is strong enough to get pinned and welded to a barrel? It will infact be permanently fixed to the barrel.

I'm not a welder, but I don't think you can.  Your other route is silver solder - you might call and ask the vendor if that can be silver soldered.  Otherwise, you'll be needing a steel muzzle device.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:44:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Okay. I have a flash hider on custom order from Moses. I hope it's what I need.

I just ordered my RDB yesterday. It's paid for. It's now mine! I just need to get the muzzle device attached when it comes
in so I can take it home.  

I didn't check to make sure that's it's 1/7 twist rather than 1/9 twist. I'm sure it is 1/7. I hope so.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 2:04:35 AM EDT
[#21]
The way I figure is if it looks like Hillary is close to winning the election, then the already hard to find RDB will become non-existant.
Even though Keltec seems to be putting out more of them, they almost certainly will never be able to keep up with a panic.

Might as well get them now while they are abundant and cheap.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The way I figure is if it looks like Hillary is close to winning the election, then the already hard to find RDB will become non-existant.
Even though Keltec seems to be putting out more of them, they almost certainly will never be able to keep up with a panic.

Might as well get them now while they are abundant and cheap.
View Quote

That was my plan.   I bought one now as an election insurance rifle.   Very pleased with it so far.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:24:57 AM EDT
[#23]
To owners,

What is the best procedure to do initial gas tuning for the RDB?
My owner's manual didn't have detailed information, it stated that when the rifle has cycling issues, simply continue opening the gas setting until the rifle fires properly,
then open it up one more click for reliability.

Is this what you do?  Would it be better rather to open up the gas real wide, then lower the gas until it does not eject, then open it up two more clicks for
reliability?

Just wondering.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To owners,

What is the best procedure to do initial gas tuning for the RDB?
My owner's manual didn't have detailed information, it stated that when the rifle has cycling issues, simply continue opening the gas setting until the rifle fires properly,
then open it up one more click for reliability.

Is this what you do?  Would it be better rather to open up the gas real wide, then lower the gas until it does not eject, then open it up two more clicks for
reliability?

Just wondering.
View Quote

I left mine as it was out of the box and it ran everything flawlessly. When I tried to shoot steel and it wouldn't cycle I opened it up two more clicks I think but then I put it back to factory as I never shoot steel cased usually. I wouldn't mess with it until you get some rounds down range. Like I said mine has cycled everything brass cased with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Hmm, okay.  What sort of ammunition do you typically fire?  I normally shoot walmart bulk packs of 62 grain xm855.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#26]
PMC XTAC 5.56 55gr but I've shot all sorts through there
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey...just lurking but how many rounds through the gun? I have read almost the whole thread but no mention of round count?
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#28]
At this point? I stopped counting after 2500...I know I've put over 3 1000 round boxes of PMC XTAC through it and probably another 1500-2000 rounds of other misc ammo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#29]
My gun shop called today. My RDB is ready for pickup. Going tomorrow to get it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
At this point? I stopped counting after 2500...I know I've put over 3 1000 round boxes of PMC XTAC through it and probably another 1500-2000 rounds of other misc ammo.
View Quote

How many malfunctions would you estimate you've had with the rifle?   And were the malfunctions corrected by changing the gas setting?  I'm interested because I have one on order.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How many malfunctions would you estimate you've had with the rifle?   And were the malfunctions corrected by changing the gas setting?  I'm interested because I have one on order.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can tell you exactly because it has been so few:

2 FTE's with Steel cased ammo before adjusting the gas setting etc.

1 FTF with brass cased ammo which turned out to be a mag issue.

Now let me through in a caveat:

about 3/4 of the rounds through the rifle have been off the bench or in range conditions with slow shooting. Other than the hog hunt, 1 range trip and a few woods walk I've done very little rapid firing or testing in extreme conditions.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Aeneas2020, I created an 'Aftermarket mod idea' thread in the bullpup forum for people to toss around ideas for future aftermarket products for the RDB.
You have some fairly solid experience handling the RDB, you should chime in there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I love my RDB, my favorite rifle and I got a boatload of them.  Best balance of everything I'm looking for
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Aeneas2020, I created an 'Aftermarket mod idea' thread in the bullpup forum for people to toss around ideas for future aftermarket products for the RDB.
You have some fairly solid experience handling the RDB, you should chime in there.
View Quote

I'll head on over and chime in. I'm going to do some mock up handguard designs at some point I think too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Okay. I just brought my RDB home today!! It's exciting!

So far, it feels very light, easy to handle. Dry firing the rifle, the trigger is extremely crisp.  I just noticed a pin protruding from the bump in the gas adjustment wheel.  Is it supposed to be flush? It looks like it's sticking out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Okay. I just brought my RDB home today!! It's exciting!

So far, it feels very light, easy to handle. Dry firing the rifle, the trigger is extremely crisp.  I just noticed a pin protruding from the bump in the gas adjustment wheel.  Is it supposed to be flush? It looks like it's sticking out.
View Quote

Mine sticks out
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#37]
That's a relief! I put 200 rounds through mine today. It had no issues except during gas tuning. It's such a fun rifle!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#38]
So I'm just wondering. Has anyone decided to mount a buis on their RDB yet?  I'm actually shopping for a buis for my RDB and am wondering what would be appropriate given the RDB's short sight radius.  I imagine short sight radius can be resolved with finer buis sights, maybe a smaller, more narrow front sight post and rear sight aperture?  Heck, pistols have very short sight radiuses and some can hit precise targets beyond 50 meters with them!
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top