Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2015 8:47:03 PM EDT
While my fiancè and I were  out shopping for wedding decor I was able to go window shopping at the local gun shop.  There was keltec RFB in FDE on the wall for $1625, a better price than I recall seeing on one before.  I held it and it really grew on me.  Now it will be a few months before I can grab one with the wedding coming up so in the mean time would you guys share all things RFB with me....groups, accessories etc. I think the RFB will be a very cool hunting rifle so definitely hunting pics if you have them.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My thoughts?  Buy it and buy it now lest you be unable to find one when you're "ready".
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:36:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to but it now but that's not happening. Just closed on a house and getting married.  Fortunately the owner of the store said that they weren't having any trouble getting them in.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd love to but it now but that's not happening. Just closed on a house and getting married.  Fortunately the owner of the store said that they weren't having any trouble getting them in.
View Quote

Well as much as I like Kel-Tec, you have to be aware that "Kel-Tec availability" goes right along with "Jumbo Shrimp" so be sure you're prepared to pay GB pricing for it when you ARE ready to buy.  Congrats on all the other stuff btw
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well as much as I like Kel-Tec, you have to be aware that "Kel-Tec availability" goes right along with "Jumbo Shrimp" so be sure you're prepared to pay GB pricing for it when you ARE ready to buy.  Congrats on all the other stuff btw
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that, and I liked it so much I would pay more or just order it from this shop and wait.  But like I said this guy said they had a regular stock of them,  they had a black one and a tan one and 2 ksgs.  Do you have an RFB?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#5]
What barrel length did you fondle, I mean hold? Since you're about to get married. And you mentioned hunting so I'm thinking the 20"
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What barrel length did you fondle, I mean hold? Since you're about to get married. And you mentioned hunting so I'm thinking the 20"
View Quote

No. It was the shorter one 16.5" I believe.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one of the 1st generation RFBs. I had many plans for this rifle. First off, the magazine well won't accept drum magazines like the X Products 50rd drum magazine. The forward eject feed chute was too narrow and an empty casing expanded during firing and stuck in the chute. KelTec customer servie was great and they sent me (free of charge) a new, wider chute that I had to tap to get to fit. It did clear of the jamming issues. But, I also had some new DSA 25 rd FAL magazines that would not feed more than one round and then stovepipe every other round. I changed magazines to surplus FN FAL 20 rd magazines and it would function  correctly. For unknown reasons it would not function with any of the DSA magazines I had. The other issue I had with the RFB was the rifle took a while to disassemble. You had to push out 4 or 6 push pins, unfold the steel received from the flexing plastic frame and then you could disassemble the receiver parts (bolt group) for proper cleaning. Just too much. I sold it.

I am waiting for the Desert Tech MDR .308 bullpup rifle to hit the market early 2016. I paid $1,800 for my KelTRec RFB and the Desert Tech is estimated to retail for $2,500 (probably closer to $2,200 or $2,300 street price). The MDR will use MagPul SR25 20 and 25rd magazines and might even be able to accept X Products 50rd drum magazines (my Steyr Aug Nato rifle accepts the X Products 50rd drum magazines). The MDR has a forward empty casing ejection similar to RFB, but, directly at the ejection port instead of having to travel down the long chute of the RFB. Everything I have read about the MDR looks good and much better than the KelTec RFB. If I was you I would wait till 2016, save up a little more, and get the MDR. It looks like it's going to be a better bullpup than the RFB. Plus it's being made by Desert Tech, that's another plus over KelTec.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Keltec doesn't make a 20" barrel length. They only make 32" or 18". The Desert Tech MDR will be 16" or 19" barrel lengths and they will offer caliber change kits.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had one of the 1st generation RFBs. I had many plans for this rifle. First off, the magazine well won't accept drum magazines like the X Products 50rd drum magazine. The forward eject feed chute was too narrow and an empty casing expanded during firing and stuck in the chute. KelTec customer servie was great and they sent me (free of charge) a new, wider chute that I had to tap to get to fit. It did clear of the jamming issues. But, I also had some new DSA 25 rd FAL magazines that would not feed more than one round and then stovepipe every other round. I changed magazines to surplus FN FAL 20 rd magazines and it would function  correctly. For unknown reasons it would not function with any of the DSA magazines I had. The other issue I had with the RFB was the rifle took a while to disassemble. You had to push out 4 or 6 push pins, unfold the steel received from the flexing plastic frame and then you could disassemble the receiver parts (bolt group) for proper cleaning. Just too much. I sold it.

I am waiting for the Desert Tech MDR .308 bullpup rifle to hit the market early 2016. I paid $1,800 for my KelTRec RFB and the Desert Tech is estimated to retail for $2,500 (probably closer to $2,200 or $2,300 street price). The MDR will use MagPul SR25 20 and 25rd magazines and might even be able to accept X Products 50rd drum magazines (my Steyr Aug Nato rifle accepts the X Products 50rd drum magazines). The MDR has a forward empty casing ejection similar to RFB, but, directly at the ejection port instead of having to travel down the long chute of the RFB. Everything I have read about the MDR looks good and much better than the KelTec RFB. If I was you I would wait till 2016, save up a little more, and get the MDR. It looks like it's going to be a better bullpup than the RFB. Plus it's being made by Desert Tech, that's another plus over KelTec.
View Quote

I didn't know desert tech was making a 762 bullpup for '16 I will have to look into this further.  Don't mind saving a little more and not having to buy fal mags would offset some of the cost for me as well
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I just watched military arms channels video on the MDR, never paid much attention to it before because I thought it was 223 only.  Wow I may be going for the MDR it looks like a better built rifle and I won't have to add new 308 mags to my stockpile (I already have ar10, m1a and hk91 mags that's enough)  the best part is I have some time to save
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you mind sharing the name of the shop that regularly has them in stock?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I always get a chuckle out of folks who point out KelTec's troubles with initial production models then announce how they're waiting on reliability from vaporware.  Yep, the MDR looks cool, but how many production models will it take THEM to get the gun right?  They've only shown what 6-8 iterations of the rapid production protoypes and nothing coming off an actual assembly line yet.  

FWIW, my RFB is a 2nd gen and it has run absolutely fine so far.  YMMV of course.  Oddly enough, the "big boys" have production hiccups too - see R51, MPX, etc.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I always get a chuckle out of folks who point out KelTec's troubles with initial production models then announce how they're waiting on reliability from vaporware.  Yep, the MDR looks cool, but how many production models will it take THEM to get the gun right?  They've only shown what 6-8 iterations of the rapid production protoypes and nothing coming off an actual assembly line yet.  

FWIW, my RFB is a 2nd gen and it has run absolutely fine so far.  YMMV of course.  Oddly enough, the "big boys" have production hiccups too - see R51, MPX, etc.
View Quote

I'm still not totally turned off to the RFB and my interest in the MDR has more to do with it taking P-Mags LR308 mags and caliber conversions than any of the issues that have been mentioned with the RFB. The good news is maybe by the time I save up the cash the MDR will be on the market and I'm sure there will be some comparisons and reviews of the two together since they are the only 2 308 bullpups on the market.

Also how would one tell the difference between a gen I and get II RFB?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Go to GB. There are many highly rated sellers selling for $14-1500+shipping.
Ask/specify that it's a gen II. You are covered if it's a new purchase.

Dammitt, I can see me talking myself into one. In the name of research. For the forum.
The sammichmaker broke her ankle on Thursday and we see the surgeon this morning; do you think research will fly? At least until she's back on her feet then I'd be out on my ass!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also how would one tell the difference between a gen I and get II RFB?
View Quote

Gen1 has a "slotted" gas adjustment with two places to use the rim of a cartridge for leverage to turn the knob.
Gen2 has a "holey" gas adjustment with several places to use the point of a bullet for leverage to turn the knob.

Gen2 has been out for many years, so anything factory new should be Gen2 but worth confirming with sellers of course.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dammitt, I can see me talking myself into one. In the name of research. For the forum.
View Quote

I run a Bushnell Elite 1-6X on mine and it's a hoot.  Personally I've had great luck with KelTec cust svc.  Showed up at the factory one day many years ago to pickup some accessory or another for my dad's P11 and they gave it a complete walk-through and upgrade while I waited.  Yeah, they're constantly slammed and yeah feces occurs sometimes, but my experiences have been overall good.  FWIW, never once did they ask if I were the original owner.

To be clear, I'm not slamming the MDR, just saying that any student of history who expects perfection will suggest waiting a couple years after release for the bugs to get worked out.  Early adopters are the beta testers - always, because production is different than prototyping - always.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's fine. Keep chuckling. I was more than happy to get rid of the RFB. I waited two years to get one of the first "vaporware" (as you like to call items that are delayed hitting the shelves) FNH Scar H .308 rifles. FNH is a well established and respected brand, so I knew the quality would be there, even though it was "vaporware"! And, the FNH "vaporware" did not disappoint. It is reliable and accurate "vaporware." The Keltec, not so much and it didn't meet or even approach my expectations. And the RFB was also "vaporware." I had to wait over a year before I could find one for sale ("vaporware"!!!!!!!)  I added my AAC 240SD suppressor and it was fine suppressed. It just refused to use any magazines over 20 rds reliably. That was totally unacceptable. The design prevented even the insertion of X Products 50rd magazines. That was another problem. Now, if I wanted to file off about an inch of the plastic on the stock it would accept the drum magazines. You can keep your "vaporware" RFB and I'll wait for the MDR, juts like I did the FNH SCAR H ("vaporware").
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll wait for the MDR, juts like I did the FNH SCAR H ("vaporware").
View Quote

Just to add one point to that fine rant - the SCAR was delivered to military customers for beta testing long before it was seen in civilian hands, and I seem to recall many published reports on the production iterations it went through on the path to civilian sales.  AFAIK, there are no military customers for the MDR, so like most other new firearm products, the first production runs (think "beta tests") will go to civilians.  Note also that vaporware with a $$$,$$$,$$$ contract with Uncle Sniffles has a bit more push than vaporware which must survive on the open market.  (BTW, the term "vaporware" is generally understood to mean a product which is announced and/or advertised but for which availability slips substantially and/or never materializes.)

High praise indeed for Desert Tech Research (or whatever their name is this year) that you rank their financial stability, manufacturing capacity, and engineering prowess with FNH, I certainly had no idea they had that kind of provenance!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Still like mine, gen 1, had it since they first year they came out, but it's a bit chunky to lug through the woods if you're doing a lot of walking.  I've taken it hunting a few times, but I'm back to my bolt gun and 300blk suppressed AR.
I have shot a few 2-gun matches with it just for giggles.

Yes the PEPR is backwards, those mount nuts will chew up your knuckles using the charging handle

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Still like mine, gen 1, had it since they first year they came out, but it's a bit chunky to lug through the woods if you're doing a lot of walking.  I've taken it hunting a few times, but I'm back to my bolt gun and 300blk suppressed AR.

Yes the PEPR is backwards, those mount nuts will chew up your knuckles using the charging handle

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/ARFCOM%20stuff/IMG_20140219_181329_431.jpg

View Quote

While I have used a number of the Burris PEPR QD mounts on 5.56mm ARs, I wasn't sure how the PEPR QD mount would stand up to 7.62x51mm, so I used a cheap Chinese knock-off CCOP (non-QD) for mounting the 1-6 scope on my Gen2 RFB (probably made in the same Chinese factory that the Chinese manufactured Burris PEPR mounts are made in).

I hadn't thought about mounting it 'backwards' to avoid knuckle damage, so thanks for this...

Forrest

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/ARFCOM%20stuff/IMG_20140219_181329_431.jpg

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/1238840_10101294661654588_25733683_n.jpg?oh=3071cb9647cff183d20078ea876080d6&oe=5663C6C8
View Quote

Excellent looking rifle,  the rfb didn't seem too heavy compares to other battle rifles,  I just like the compactness of it mainly for walking cut overs where the brush is thick
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While I have used a number of the Burris PEPR QD mounts on 5.56mm ARs, I wasn't sure how the PEPR QD mount would stand up to 7.62x51mm, so I used a cheap Chinese knock-off CCOP (non-QD) for mounting the 1-6 scope on my Gen2 RFB (probably made in the same Chinese factory that the Chinese manufactured Burris PEPR mounts are made in).

I hadn't thought about mounting it 'backwards' to avoid knuckle damage, so thanks for this...

Forrest
View Quote

The normal PEPR is a tank, it should stand up to just about anything.
The QD version doesn't seem to be too highly recommended, but I'm not playing musical scopes, so I don't need to pull it off in a hurry...
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Excellent looking rifle,  the rfb didn't seem too heavy compares to other battle rifles,  I just like the compactness of it mainly for walking cut overs where the brush is thick
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/1238840_10101294661654588_25733683_n.jpg?oh=3071cb9647cff183d20078ea876080d6&oe=5663C6C8

I usually sling mine across my back with a 2 point, same as an AR if I'm doing a lot of walking and need hands free, less to snag when pushing through the brush.
Still plenty quick to bring it to the front and shoulder, and I'm not going to be shooting weak side in the woods with a slung rifle, so no issues there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've done the same "backwards" trick with the GG&G QD rail sections on several guns.  No issues to date - with mounts or knuckles (now that lever is on "off" side).

FWIW, my go-to mount has become the GG&G QD rail plus Burris Signature Zee rings - easy to remove scope during cleaning or storage/transport or whatever and the signature rings leave scopes unmarred no matter what!  (Not to mention I've had a couple rifles over the years on which the offset inserts saved my bacon.)
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I guess as long as the mount doesn't have build in MOA it really doesn't matter which direction it faces.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#26]
RDTCU,  what muzzle device is on your RFB by the way?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:11:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
RDTCU,  what muzzle device is on your RFB by the way?
View Quote

It's a YHM Brake mount for the suppressor, I leave the SSS Brake Shield on it when not using the suppressor, cuts down on the blast face.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I ended up getting two of them.  I had an FDE version on order for over a year but bought the black one in early 2013 for slight premium at the time.  With all the craziness going on back then, I was thinking it was like now or never.  An FDE version finally became available, so I picked up that one as well - dollar cost averaging, right? :)  I still haven't fired the FDE one yet.  The black one is more accurate than I am with a 3x9 scope and M80 ball.  I plan on using a higher power scope along with better ammunition to see how well it can do.  Sorry for the bad cell phone pic, but I'm glad this thread got me to take them out of the safe again.  It looks like I have some surface rust to take care of!

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I really liked my RFB when I had it.

I did notice on reloads if the rifle was tilted up it jammed. I ran it a couple of times in three gun matches and it worked really well but I had to reload it muzzle down to keep it from jamming.

I really regret selling it, and would pick one up again if I had the chance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top