Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2015 3:02:22 PM EDT
I'm waiting to see the X-85, so not bashing... but for a while Tavor was all the rage, now there are very few threads in here. What's the current price for Tavor's now that the new has wore off the demand?

Do you think demand has been satiated, or is it the economy?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
They've been out for a while, so I'm guessing the demand has ebbed.  Not a lot of new accessories at the moment, though I'm sure a few things will be announced at the bullpup shoot in a few weeks.  The range of accessories is pretty limited anyway, so there's not a lot to talk about.  Even the different handguards look pretty similar.  

Prices seem to have settled around $1600 for new, slightly less for used.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I'd guess some of the "hub-bub" has died down due to market saturation.  However, it probably indicates another element.  What percentage of posts about specific guns on this site involve complaints or issues?  I don't have the answer, but silence can also indicate a lack of issues to some degree.  For more activity on the Tavor and other bullpups, I'd go over to the Bullpup Forum.  It's a good source of info here, but really the primary focus of this site is some other gun that seldom gets talked about.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
It's like the new car you wash and wax when new and then you drive it and clean it when it actually gets dirty
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The only two complaints that come up repeatedly on the Tavor are that the charging handle can get bumped, pushing the rifle out of battery; and that if you run it suppressed a lot gas gets in your face.

Other than that it's all subjective quibbling about Ford vs Chevy, this aftermarket accessory or that, and who has the best gun cleaning technique.  I think some people have run the Tavor without cleaning at all and it keeps on eating everything... fwiw
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your comment covers exactly what happened.

The Tavor was hot property.  Then IWI said they would be making a semi X-95 for the U.S.  and it seems they knocked the wind out of their own sales on the full size Tavor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm waiting to see the X-85, so not bashing... but for a while Tavor was all the rage, now there are very few threads in here. What's the current price for Tavor's now that the new has wore off the demand?

The Tavor was hot property.  Then IWI said they would be making a semi X-95 for the U.S.  and it seems they knocked the wind out of their own sales on the full size Tavor.

This was certainly part of it.  Another was the announcement of the LE program and LE pricing.  Nobody wants to buy a gun in this economy unless they think they are getting a great deal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The LE deal wasn't that great IMO
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know...  I still get huge giggle face when I shoot mine, especially on steel at odd angles (read: bank shots).  And I have no remorse that they're selling for $100-150 less than I paid for mine.  I've gotten a year and a half of enjoyment out of it.  Hell, I might buy another one just to piss off the liberal twats.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking about ordering one from CDNN, but the "tons of gas in the face when shooting suppressed" has me rethinking that.  Will have to look into this X-95 you guys are talking about....

Current price from CDNN is $1575 for black.

Having that short an OAL while retaining a 16" barrel is tempting.

ETA:  So would I be correct to assume the x-95 will have the same gas issue and the same trigger as the Tavor?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine is still pretty much the only 5.56 rifle i shoot. I'll probably pick up the X95 when it comes out though but i do love my tavor.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I also think there is some anticipation for Desert Tech's upcoming offering, the MDR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The reason I have not got a second is that I would have to have a 3" muzzle brake welded on due the this States poorly worded law that all semi auto riffles need to be over 29" luckily I got a 16.5 before the law.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]

The only complaint I have about mine, is that it's always empty.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was thinking about ordering one from CDNN, but the "tons of gas in the face when shooting suppressed" has me rethinking that.  Will have to look into this X-95 you guys are talking about....

ETA:  So would I be correct to assume the x-95 will have the same gas issue and the same trigger as the Tavor?
View Quote

I shoot mine suppressed exclusively and never thought the blowback was bad. Definitely less than my AUG and similar to most my ARs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I shoot mine suppressed exclusively and never thought the blowback was bad. Definitely less than my AUG and similar to most my ARs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.  I was thinking about checking out Mac on Mil Arms Chan... knew he did some suppressed shooting with the Tavor.  Good to hear some first hand feedback.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:06:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I shot one at the range in Frisco.

Neat rifle, but no way would I take one over an AR.

Too heavy, imo.

Txl
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:29:59 AM EDT
[#17]
sbr suppressed (300BO)   or tavor suppressed?     hard to decide!   need input!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:50:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The gas issue is overblown. I shoot mine exclusively suppressed and it;s not a problem. A cheap little side plate bought aftermarket fixes it right up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:56:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I still want a Tavor
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:58:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
sbr suppressed (300BO)   or tavor suppressed?     hard to decide!   need input!
View Quote

Get both? Tavor obviously doesn't suppress as well as a blackout rifle, so it's kind of two separate niches.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd wait for the X-95.
Charge handle is farther back.
AR type mag release.
Designed for suppressed shooting.
Lighter,bettler bolt release,two grip options.
If the price is right they'll sell a lot of them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd wait for the X-95.
Charge handle is farther back.
AR type mag release.
Designed for suppressed shooting.
Lighter,bettler bolt release,two grip options.
If the price is right they'll sell a lot of them.
View Quote

I too am waiting for the X95 but I will take the MDR-C if it comes out sooner.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The gas issue is overblown. I shoot mine exclusively suppressed and it;s not a problem. A cheap little side plate bought aftermarket fixes it right up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with these guys. There is a little gas, but nothing dramatic.

As for the lack of 'buzz' I'm not sure that means much. The Tavor has been out for a while, so maybe the new car smell is gone, but I still shoot mine plenty.
It was the first bull-pup I ever held, let alone owned.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#24]
IMHO it may not currenty be the shiny new object out right now, however it has catapulted the bullpup conversation more than any other offering only because of its AR magazine comparability, which has drawn some AR owners over to bull pups. At least those fence sitters not willing to shell out extra cash for specific magazines. I'll admit that was one criteria I looked at when I saw the Tavor but to be honest when I bought one it has changed my perception on bullpups to where I now regard the design as a forward-thinking rifle that fits a troublesome nitch the AR could not achieve - ballistics in a SBR package for a dual purpose CQB and longs range rifle.

As you 5.56 shooters know, barrel length is essential to terminal ballistics, so those 14.5" barrel guys trying to find a short barrel rifle with CQB qualities in 5.56 are only degrading their ballistic effectiveness for the sake of gaining a shorter rifle. The Tavor gained popularity by offering good 5.56 ballistics (18" model especially) in a SBR size with AR magazine compatibility. So even though some of the bandwagon crowd may be excited about the X95 on the horizon, the Tavor has its place as an IDF battle-proven platform very few bullpups can join in that exclusive club.

If you think it is too heavy, run some CQB drills with it - you may think differently. The Tavor shoots like a dream and IMO feels like an extension of your arm when against your shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#25]
It takes quite a bit of repetition to get over the AR-15/M16ism most of us are use to, but once you do, it is pretty good system.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm still buzzed.  The new Omega helped that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think price to. $1600 isn't too bad, but they've got most of the early adopters. $1200-1300 and it will move some more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I was at a steel challenge match yesterday and I and another guy showed up with 9mm Tavors.  Both of us also had the Geissele trigger pack.  I also had the trigger bow in mine.  Some of the other people at the match mentioned that they were thinking of getting one.  So, my take is that the big rush is over but there will be continued sales.  Also times with the Tavors looked good in the overall results.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#30]
i still want one, but four years worth of divorce and custody battle has kept me out of the market.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#31]
It's not completely gone....I just ordered one.  

Wasn't willing to pay the premium to be one of the first adapters but you'll still see steady sales from guys like me if the prices stay where they are or go down further.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#32]
It was only last year when I read that they shipped their 20,000th unit, effectively triple their anticipated demand. Obviously, a lot of shooters wanted them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I like the Tavor, but with the switchable ejection of the ARX, I'm waiting to see what Beretta might potentially do in the future.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I still want a Tavor
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They have shipped about 40,000 guns and have built more than that- firsthand numbers from when I was at their Harrisbug facility about 2 months ago.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was only last year when I read that they shipped their 20,000th unit, effectively triple their anticipated demand. Obviously, a lot of shooters wanted them.

They have shipped about 40,000 guns and have built more than that- firsthand numbers from when I was at their Harrisbug facility about 2 months ago.

Sven
Manticore Arms

Pretty soon everything they have is going to sell out in days. Not solely IWI, but everyone. I imagine that companies who can afford to have already started stocking up in anticipation.

Anyone waiting for later to buy a tavor or other firearm should consider buying sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms

That sounds like a lot although I don't see many on at my public ranges, rifle matches or carbine courses.  Just anecdotal, I know.
I wonder if the majority of these are just going to collectors.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That sounds like a lot although I don't see many on at my public ranges, rifle matches or carbine courses.  Just anecdotal, I know.
View Quote

40,000 evenly divided among the 50 states would be about 800 rifles per state, if that helps put it into perspective.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Pretty soon everything they have is going to sell out in days. Not solely IWI, but everyone. I imagine that companies who can afford to have already started stocking up in anticipation.

Anyone waiting for later to buy a tavor or other firearm should consider buying sooner rather than later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms

Why is this?  Is there some kind of catastrophe I have somehow missed?
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

40,000 evenly divided among the 50 states would be about 800 rifles per state, if that helps put it into perspective.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not legal in CT or NY, so it's 833.3333333 rifles!
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that changes everything!  
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's an election coming up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh that!  Silly me, I forgot!  Since CT has already gang-raped gun owners, we here behind the lines tend to overlook how political consequences will impact free states.

Yes, I am sure the Republicans will put up the worst possible candidate, and Hillary will win, bringing the Democrats back into the majority with her coat-tails.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm currently weighing pros n cons  of a tavor or perhaps an AUG vs. 300BO or 556 sbr.  Will be putting a can on it as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms

Any of you know how that compares with the other bullpups numbers wise.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I'm buying another one as soon as I can

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms

You are in CA... probably a lot more folks buying the non gimped version.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 3:25:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms

Blows them away, I believe. Even when the Tavor was at 20,000, they'd surpassed the number of Augs sold in decades.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Blows them away, I believe. Even when the Tavor was at 20,000, they'd surpassed the number of Augs sold in decades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms

When the tavor was at 20k, the AUG was at 20k. That was a year or a year and a half maybe two years ago.

If I had to guess, I might think that the AUG's are produced at a quarter (or less) the rate of the tavor.

With so many niche weapons from IWI in such a short period of time, I think time will tell if their strategy is successful longterm. Again if I had to guess with Steyr, either their sales don't support the IWI production rates or they are actively avoiding brand dilution.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#50]
well idk about buzz but i'm looking to buy one now haha.

I didn't like my first one from the preorder, hoping to try another one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top