Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2015 3:16:47 AM EDT
or will it not work w/ the gas system or soemthing?

Also,  can eithe rweapon be lightened up a bit?   Can much weigh tbe taken off the barrel of either gun or are the barrels already pretty light?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#1]
You might try adco for barrel fluting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
can either one be cut to 14.5" w/o messing up the gas system and without going below 26"?

for a surefire flasjhhider mount.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I had adco turn one of my barrels down .625 if memory serves.  I think it took about half a pound off.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
can either one be cut to 14.5" w/o messing up the gas system and without going below 26"?

for a surefire flasjhhider mount.
View Quote

Nope.

With the Tavor you might be able to get the barrel to 14.5 and keep the overall length 26" if there is an extra thick butt plate available, but it's already a long LOP so I don't think it would be comfortable unless you have really long arms.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had adco turn one of my barrels down .625 if memory serves.  I think it took about half a pound off.
View Quote

aug or tavor?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes you can cut down a Tavor barrel as long as the flash hider you use gives you a minimum barrel length of at least 16.5 inches in order to maintain minimum overall length. Many guys have already done it and I haven't heard of any function issues ...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes you can cut down a Tavor barrel as long as the flash hider BEING PERMANENTLY ATTACHED gives you a minimum barrel length of at least 16.5 inches in order to maintain minimum overall length. Many guys have already done it and I haven't heard of any function issues ...
View Quote

fixed it for you
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#9]
The factory 14" AUG barrel has a differently sized gas port than the 16" and 20"
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The factory 14" AUG barrel has a differently sized gas port than the 16" and 20"
View Quote

I believe they are angled also so a whole different animal
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:25:50 AM EDT
[#11]
The rule for SBR is barrel no shorter than 16" and must be an overall length of 26" right now my 16" Tavor as she sits is 26.25 I believe. Leave it be.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]
i was asking in technical terms, if a permmatach job is too short for the gas system on either gun, assuming we all understand the NFA
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

fixed it for you
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes you can cut down a Tavor barrel as long as the flash hider BEING PERMANENTLY ATTACHED gives you a minimum barrel length of at least 16.5 inches in order to maintain minimum overall length. Many guys have already done it and I haven't heard of any function issues ...

fixed it for you

I figured that was just common sense ...
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Teh barrel is already pretty light, there isn't much you could take off of it.

Most the weight is in the bolt, gas system, and receiver.

[ETA]  referring to Tavor.  The AUG can have a bit shaved off the barrel if you really want.

View Quote

My MSAR E4 had a fluted barrel.   I always thought it made it balance a little better than my Aug.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fixed it for you

You'd be surprised
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Of course, the best bet is simply to call IWI US and ask them.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
aug or tavor?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

aug or tavor?
AUG

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FYI, the Styer AUg should not have the barrel chopped- it runs on a narrow gas envelope and it seems to have issues with the barrel being chopped (as mentioned, gas ports were drilled at a 45 degree angle on the 14.5" abrrels)

The Tavor should be OK- the standard CTAR Tavor has a 15" barrel, and as I recall the X95 has a 13" barrel and uses the same gas system, so in theory you should be good to go.

Of course, the best bet is simply to call IWI US and ask them.
View Quote

I trust your knowledge abotu the aug.  Thx for that.

I thought the x95 gas block was nearer the breech.  Of course, it is hard to say for us as no one really has therem here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#20]

......leave it alone
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:52:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Minimum overall length (OAL) is what gets you on the Tavor.  For example just reducing the thickness of the butt pad will drop the carbine into the NFA region even if the barrel is untouched.

-- Chuck
View Quote

hence "permattach"
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Why bother ? 1.5 inches is not enough lenght for the trouble!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why bother ? 1.5 inches is not enough lenght for the trouble!
View Quote

I take it you're not an Asian guy...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Exactly why I sold my ar  pistol, Aug was shorter and retained the advantages of 16 barrel
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#27]
You also need to look past barrel length; look at how long the rifle extends beyond the pistol grip and compare a 16" bullpup to any runt gun, er, SBR or 14.5" AR and the the bullpup is definitely shorter (unless you're using something like a 7" barrel or so, and even then it might be a toss up).
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You also need to look past barrel length; look at how long the rifle extends beyond the pistol grip and compare a 16" bullpup to any runt gun, er, SBR or 14.5" AR and the the bullpup is definitely shorter (unless you're using something like a 7" barrel or so, and even then it might be a toss up).
View Quote

to the threaded muzzle, an AR is about 26" OAL w/ an 8.5" barrel w/ the stock in either position 2 or 3, which is where most people use it.  Some butts are longer.  I think the basic M4 type stock is like 7" long and collapses flush w/ the back of he RE and w/ that in position 2, a 9-9.5" barrel would be just about 26"

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I cut the barrel on one of my MSAR E4's to 13.5" and perm-attached a Noveski Flaiming Pig bringing the OAL to 16 1/8".  I did it just for the hell of it and to see if it would work without any modification to the gas port (and because I had an extra barrel).  It runs just fine, in fact it runs 100% with zero gas  port modification.  That may be because the flaming pig produces a fair amount of back pressure.  My guess is if it works on the MSAR then it would work on an AUG without modification.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I cut the barrel on one of my MSAR E4's to 13.5" and perm-attached a Noveski Flaiming Pig bringing the OAL to 16 1/8".  I did it just for the hell of it and to see if it would work without any modification to the gas port (and because I had an extra barrel).  It runs just fine, in fact it runs 100% with zero gas  port modification.  That may be because the flaming pig produces a fair amount of back pressure.  My guess is if it works on the MSAR then it would work on an AUG without modification.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/MadDogDan/media/DSC00378_zpsea61cf28.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/DSC00378_zpsea61cf28.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/MadDogDan/media/DSC00379_zps63e29201.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/DSC00379_zps63e29201.jpg</a>
View Quote

The flaming pig was designed to increase back pressure a standard FH would not net the same results
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top