User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interfan is using Stahlwille wrenches, I've no experience with them but if they work then overall it's probably the best option.

See his post here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/473983_Aug-barrels-.html#i4729023
View Quote

I was pretty skeptical when they arrived as the wrenches didn't look THAT thin, but a quick test-fit says they're good to go!
Just for redundancy, here are the wrenches I ordered from Amazon after reading Interfan's report:
Amazon Product
  • Can be used with socket tools, extension bars, ratchets or torque wrenches
  • Chrome plated

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C11RYKK?tag=vglnk-c102-20
"Stahlwille 10-17X19 Steel Double Open End Spanner, 17mm x 19mm Diameter, 220mm Length, 42mm Width"
Part #: 10-17x19, $22.xx/ea from Amazon at posting time.
A quick measurement on my el-cheapo digital calipers says they're 0.266" or 6.77mm thick at the 19mm jaws, and that's really about all you could reasonably fit on the check nut flats.

No time to actually attempt removal, but wanted to post the thickness and order info for anyone else looking.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was pretty skeptical when they arrived as the wrenches didn't look THAT thin, but a quick test-fit says they're good to go!
View Quote

Today I gave the wrenches and removal techniques a test run on my 1:7 barrel - which has been patiently awaiting installation of its 51T muzzle device.  The short version is torch the thing until it starts smoking (this took a LOT longer than I thought it should have) and keep torching it until it STOPS smoking (this also took a LOT longer than I expected).  Then you can probably wrench it apart in a barrel vise with two of those Stahlwille wrenches.  I tried the maleante "step on the wrenches" technique but only after torching it the first time (didn't start smoking) so probably not a fair test - or I'm just a lightweight  On this barrel, the flats of the check nut and flash hider were only 10-15 degrees apart, so also probably not an ideal case for the two-wrenches-and-a-fat-guy method either.  YMMV of course, but use the blue wrench LIBERALLY until you get smoke coming off and don't quit until she stops smoking.

ETA:
Over lunch I repeated on the 24" barrel - everything that's been said about that beast so far is true!  I didn't get more smoke coming off with the second torch pass, but after doing so I was finally able to get things to break loose with the two-wrenches-and-a-fat guy stand on the thing technique.  Maybe my luck is bad, but the flats angles on this barrel were the same as the other - providing nowhere near the separation maleante shows:

His looks like about 60 degrees vs my 15!

Regardless I got the wrenches flexing and broke things loose, then was able to wrench apart.  I might have permanently discolored that flash hider by slightly over-torching

I departed from maleante's advise slightly on assembling the muzzle brake though.  I bottomed out the check nut and aligned the brake as he specified, but I skipped using thread locker and in fact found that the muzzle brake didn't seem to move for me when I tightened the check nut.  I'll try running it like this and figured I can always go back and redo with thread locker later.

Huge thanks to maleante for putting this buy and fantastic guide together!  I guess I have to break down and buy the bipod now....
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh, and this is probably a maleante question too: what's the most correct VFG to attach to the rail? And where?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know that there's a correct vfg, but I know what you mean. The only country I know of that uses this setup up is Uruguay. They use AUG A2's with 24 inch barrel and this bipod setup, in a DMR role.I can't say for sure. But it looks like in 3 of the 4 photos I've seen online, they're using this or something similar: https://usa.caagearup.com/svgg-short-vertical-grip-picatinny . There's a couple pics on the first page. But the clearest pic, it appears the guy is using something else. But his hand is covering it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
All accessories are 15% off at Steyr including this complete kit.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top