Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/21/2015 12:11:40 PM EDT
Installation instructions on page 4.

Extra parts were ordered and are available to anyone interested.
How many? I don't know. But they are currently available from Pete and Steyr.
---------------------------------------------

***Update 10/28, parts are out of customs and at Steyr in Alabama. You should be getting a call after the weekend if you haven't been contacted already.

Those looking for parts who are not on the list may want to contact Pete or Steyr.

----------------------------------

For those of you with a new 24" US made barrel or others that like rare and impossible to get AUG parts, this is pretty much a one time deal, keep that in mind.

The 24" US made AUG barrels were sold to us with a tulip flash hider and check nut. While they work well, myself and others were disappointed that the original LMG muzzle brake was not offered.

Steyr is doing me (and us, if you want in) a HUGE favor by running a special order for three specific Austrian AUG parts that have never been sold in the USA.
Steyr is handling all the importation and will be your source of payment and contact.

This is not a for sale ad. I am relaying information on items for sale direct from Steyr USA that only a handful of people know exist and even less are aware of the order being placed.
This is also not a group buy, this is you being added to a special order of unobtainable parts that Steyr is importing for me.
I have absolutely no financial interest or gain in this, I am paying exactly what Steyr is charging anyone else wanting in on this.
If no others end up buying from Steyr, my special order still goes through.

By myself and up to 5 (five) people there will be a 40% deposit, if more than 5 people want in, there may or may not be a deposit needed. That is all Steyr's call. Like I said they are the ones importing, selling, and shipping you these parts. I am merely passing on this info for others to get in on a one time only (as far as I understand) importation of an extremely small quantity of previously unobtainable parts.

Parts and prices - direct from Steyr:

- heavy duty barrel rail with bipod pin           1250010521

- muzzle brake LMG                                     1200010038
- counter nut to muzzle brake LMG              1250010039

I DO NOT KNOW IF SHIPPING WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR ORDER TOTAL. Assume it will, and if it isn't, be pleasantly surprised.

The "heavy duty barrel rail with bipod pin" is made to use the QD? Steyr heavy duty bipod (maybe others, I do not know). This is the same exact bipod rail that Uruguayan "snipers" employ. The bipod is NOT included, it is available here at your own expense: http://www.steyrarms.com/store/index.php/heavy-duty-bipod-for-steyr-ssg-08-and-elite-08.html

The muzzle brake and check nut are the same as what is on the LMG AUG. The check nut is specific to the muzzle brake, you need both.

You can choose to buy the heavy duty rail with bipod pin alone, or the LMG muzzle brake and LMG check nut combo alone, or all three. It's up to you, but Steyr needs to know before Wednesday 08/26/2015.

Your point of contact at Steyr is:

----
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I understand some will not think highly of the prices, but as with nearly everything Steyr there is a high cost associated with the quality due to manufacture in Europe, exportation, importation, transfer and sale of the part from Steyr Austria to Steyr USA, and subsequent markup by Steyr USA.

For those that have been wanting the LMG muzzle brake, here is your one and only chance (as far as I am aware).

For those wanting the special bipod rail, here is probably your only chance at owning one ever.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Any questions, please do not IM me or email me. Your point of contact is Eric Wood at Steyr Arms in Alabama.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Pictures from the internet:

muzzle brake and check nut:

rail with bipod attached (bipod NOT included):

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
1-in-9 twist?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1-in-9 twist?
View Quote

I don't think the barrel is included. Just the rail. I think that is why he prefaced everything with "for those of you who bought the US made 24" barrel".
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#6]
We taking bets on whether these will come in before or after the Manticore bipods?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We taking bets on whether these will come in before or after the Manticore bipods?
View Quote

I've given up on waiting. I've been using an A3 grip rail with a picatinny bipod. More accurate anyways.
With this barrel rail with bipod stud, I'm almost certain it is the same mount stud as the versapod, aics, etc that use the qd bipod pins.
Should be a better setup in my opinion, then with a LMG brake I won't really have any reason to wait for anything else 24" barrel related.

my opinion, yours may differ

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't think the barrel is included. Just the rail. I think that is why he prefaced everything with "for those of you who bought the US made 24" barrel".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1-in-9 twist?

This is for a rail for AUG barrels.
And also AUG LMG muzzle devices.
Not a barrel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've given up on waiting. I've been using an A3 grip rail with a picatinny bipod. More accurate anyways.
With this barrel rail with bipod stud, I'm almost certain it is the same mount stud as the versapod, aics, etc that use the qd bipod pins.
Should be a better setup in my opinion, then with a LMG brake I won't really have any reason to wait for anything else 24" barrel related.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't disagree (especially on the vaporware) but I always liked the look of the classic - I shoulda bought that one LMG barrel Pete got in last week, but I dawdled too long.  I'm just going back and forth on LMG brake alone or grip rail too.  I should probably go ARFCOM and "get both" I know
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump as the end is near.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm just going back and forth on LMG brake alone or grip rail too.  I should probably go ARFCOM and "get both" I know
View Quote

I broke down and signed up for the whole kit...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Taking down the contact info now.
Our product should be here for Christmas hopefully.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I broke down and signed up for the whole kit...
View Quote

Good choice for something that may never happen again.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#14]
keeping this alive, pardon the bumps
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]
FYI the bipod is back in stock.

I haven't been contacted about the remaining parts yet, but it might be worth going ahead and snagging the key component!

Does anyone know what grip they are using in the Uruguay photos?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
FYI the bipod is back in stock.

I haven't been contacted about the remaining parts yet, but it might be worth going ahead and snagging the key component!

Does anyone know what grip they are using in the Uruguay photos?
View Quote

Steyr must have been given a good deal on the TDi grips, because that's what they use on rails.

On sale for $17

black

green

tan

I don't know of any other store that sells these, but I have ordered from MS auto arms in the past without any problems.

It's also the same grip that Steyr uses on the A3. And apparently the same brand for the grip that Thales sticks on the F90.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I just discovered this post

Can I still get in on this????

not seeing the  LMG 1200010038 brake on your link?

the rail the bi-pod mounts to is the standard A3 grip rail?  correct?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#18]
You could call Steyr and ask, but I'd assume that they ordered extras to sell aside from those who wanted in.

The parts are not on the website, the only part they have is the bipod. The rail is not the A3 grip rail, it is almost the same, but has a bipod stud sticking out the front. The regular A3 grip rail will not work, which is why the muzzle parts and rail are being brought in.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#19]
so ....

$349.00 h. duty rail
$125.00 m brake
$45.00 counter nut  
$475.00 bi pod

= $994.00      

plus the cost of the 24 " H barrel  that most of us paid aprox. $550.00

did you guys get any discount on this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks about right.

I wonder how the accuracy will be: I know the original LMG setups were not known for accuracy because of the barrel-mounted bipod. This setup seems like it might have pretty good potential in that regard.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#21]
And another month rolls bye.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#22]
So, can someone who has the new 24" AUG barrel comment on the accuracy and increased range. Is it worth spending all the money?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#23]
not really just greater fps
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Black Friday Sale

AUG 24" LMG barrel Black Friday Sale $350.00 @ Steyr U.S.A. and other barrels lengths discounted also. FYI. Free shipping also.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Keeping it alive
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:22:34 AM EDT
[#26]
liven the dream
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Any word on these? I have a $400 bipod in hand that's useless without the rail
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I've not heard anything yet. Once I do, I'll update this.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maleante, do you know the lenght of the bipod legs that goes with with setup.

I did some research and these bipods seems to be made by a German or Austrian company called Fortmeier and not Steyr.
They are available in 3 different lenghts:

H171 (171mm I would assume)

H184 (184mm I would assume)

H210 (210mm I would assume)

http://www.vikingtactics.de/Fortmeier-Bipod/

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I did some research and these bipods seems to be made by a German or Austrian company called Fortmeier and not Steyr.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, thanks for the link. I knew that they were made by someone else, but did not know there were different lengths. That price is pretty dang good compared to Steyr - AND it comes with a picatinny adapter.
I don't know the length that Steyr sells as I don't have one yet.
You actually could use any type of bipod that accepts the stud, but the Steyr type bipod is more "correct".

ETA: http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk/cleaning-kits.html

Review of phoenix bipod

Fortmeier bipod

It looks like apart from leg length, there are two mounting choices, one secures the stud with a set screw/hex wrench from above the bipod body and the other uses a "handle" beneath the bipod body to secure it to the stud.

I guess the two shorter options that mount BENEATH the barrel are the quick release versions? While the above barrel mount uses the set screw?

Phoenix bipod:

Steyr bipod:
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Any word on these? I have a $400 bipod in hand that's useless without the rail

Paging Rivaltm!
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll have a look in a few days; I don't have the thing handy at the moment.

I will say it's a well constructed piece.

I wonder what the hold up is on these parts. I can't imagine how this would be a complicated order on Steyr's end.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wonder what the hold up is on these parts. I can't imagine how this would be a complicated order on Steyr's end.
View Quote

They are probably waiting until the 40' shipping container is full, then everything will show at once.

H
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They are probably waiting until the 40' shipping container is full, then everything will show at once.

H
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

H

That's pretty much what it is. They used to fly parts in but not anymore. There are certain parts being made right now over there, that until they make it in the sea container, that container doesn't go anywhere...

Still waiting patiently.

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Interesting, thanks for the link. I knew that they were made by someone else, but did not know there were different lengths. That price is pretty dang good compared to Steyr - AND it comes with a picatinny adapter.
You actually could use any type of bipod that accepts the stud, but the Steyr type bipod is more "correct".

Review of phoenix bipod

Fortmeier bipod

It looks like apart from leg length, there are two mounting choices, one secures the stud with a set screw/hex wrench from above the bipod body and the other uses a "handle" beneath the bipod body to secure it to the stud.

I guess the two shorter options that mount BENEATH the barrel are the quick release versions? While the above barrel mount uses the set screw?

Phoenix bipod:
http://nebula.wsimg.com/2df355e8d6d58a73c42389993bb4e2f8?AccessKeyId=112B3C806796FD392DA9&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Steyr bipod:
https://steyrarms.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/910x320/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/h/photo_1__1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Review of phoenix bipod

Fortmeier bipod

Phoenix bipod:
http://nebula.wsimg.com/2df355e8d6d58a73c42389993bb4e2f8?AccessKeyId=112B3C806796FD392DA9&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Steyr bipod:
https://steyrarms.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/910x320/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/h/photo_1__1.jpg

I am wondering this myself by looking at the design it seems logical to assume so.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I might be able to get hold of an original bipod, nut & muzzle brake, does anyone know what this will be worth on the maket? Or let me refhrase the question what would anyone here be willing to pay for this?
This is not the full barrel assembly but just what I mentioned above.

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I might be able to get hold of an original bipod, nut & muzzle brake, does anyone know what this will be worth on the maket? Or let me refhrase the question what would anyone here be willing to pay for this?
View Quote

I have an original 24" lmg barrel and the new 24" barrel. Assuming the check nut and muzzle device are the same should give a second hand price of $100ish (or whatever someone will pay).

The original bipod will not work on the new barrels. They are not cut the same - won't work.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have an original 24" lmg barrel and the new 24" barrel. Assuming the check nut and muzzle device are the same should give a second hand price of $100ish (or whatever someone will pay).

The original bipod will not work on the new barrels. They are not cut the same - won't work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank for the clarification, then I won't look getting that bipod besides the new setup is probably much better.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Month of May bump
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Another bipod picture for reference.

New SSG 08 M1.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#41]
June Bump
Missing a few key items here.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Monthly bump.

It'd be nice to see these before a year passes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Is Steyr going to restock the 24" barrels?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is Steyr going to restock the 24" barrels?
View Quote

I've found Steyr customer service to be very responsive with questions, so you can ask them. Pete looks to have them in stock, http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/augusrparts.html
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Last I checked, some of the parts are in. Still waiting on everything else to come in.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Hey maleante...do you find a 24" barrel for 5.56 to shoot much different than a 20-incher?  I've been toying with the idea of one of the 20" barrels for my AUG since I have a 16" Tavor that I'm happy with at that barrel length.  

In my AR's I have a 24" SS match bull barrel and a 20" SS barrel that's a fluted lighter profile.  While both shoot lights out, I didn't really get any better accuracy out of that 24" artillery piece.  Earlier this year I pulled that 24" and made a different rifle out of it.  

I'm wondering since 20" was about the ideal for an AR15, if you really gain that much with a 24" AUG barrel.  The improved accuracy in longer barrel 5.56/.223 rifles seem to be bolt action which seems logical.

Just curious and claiming no real knowledge as it pertains to the AUG.  I actually like the looks of the AUG with a 20" barrel, and I'm assuming...hopefully...a slight increase in accuracy.

Now, I ask this with the assumption that you had shot, owned, or at least knew of any experience with the 24" barrel and its accuracy.  If not, please excuse.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#47]
As 5% or less of my shooting is done at a range or even on a bench, it's hard for me to quantify exact differences. Maybe one day but I'm much too busy with life at the moment...
If I were back in TX, I would have loved to meet up with lazy as quantifying accuracy seems to be more his forte.
What I can do is give my observations on two FN 24's and an Austrian 24 compared to both Austrian and US 16's, 18's and 20's.
Between the 24 and 20 there is a definite difference in maneuverability of the gun. It feels like a tetherball pole is sticking out of the stock. Weight distribution and balance is totally different. Unwieldy would describe it well.
The 24" barrels are originally meant for the LMG and have heavier profiles as such. They're great barrels and  as accurate as the 16 and 20's in my use. Without the muzzle end bipod of the Austrian 24, the gun shoots more consistently and arbitrarily tighter groups. I had a bipod on an A3 rail for the FN 24" barrel and it hit every piece of steel or target I aimed for. Waiting on these new parts currently.
In my nearly total offhand shooting, I can't see any perceivable differences in accuracy between any of the barrels I have (and I have many multiples of them all).
The 24 will definitely have more velocity, but accuracy - not sure, probably not.
There is one thing of note that should be your takeaway. Without bipod, the difference between a 16 and 24 barrel is about 600 grams (1.3 pounds). That feels like 15 pounds hanging on the end of the barrel after a couple magazines. Difference between the 20 and 24 is roughly 300 grams. One other piece of info on the 24 is that your overall length jumps up to about 35".
I really like the 20" AUG's, especially as an A1 but I also have 20's as A3's and M1's. It's a nice barrel length, and what the AUG was designed for. I do have to say though that if I could only have one, it would be a 16" A1.
The above rambling incoherency might not have helped, but hopefully it doesn't confuse any either...
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Not confusing at all...exactly what I was looking for...thank you.  Since asking you this earlier, I went back and did some more research, finding some additional info.

I kind of got the impression from some of those sources that the 18" was as good or better than the 20".  LOL!...more info, less clarity.

Do you have any observations or experience between the 18 and 20?  I didn't see clear evidence what the twist rate was for the 18 and 20.

I wouldn't mind a 1:7 or 1:8 if available.  My 16" 1:9 AUG shoots my home loaded 68g BTHP's amazingly well...my 75g's just OK.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I have 3 of the 18" barrels. One is on a CQC and that gun is by far the smoothest shooting AUG of them all - likely due to the added weight of the rail system. Once again, my particular shooting style doesn't lend to a good understanding of which barrel length is more accurate than another. I can notice small differences but due to almost always being offhand shooting, the "data" is junk to rely on or to make any sort of assumption.

The 18 and 20 are very similar feeling and weight is about the same. Pointability is easier as the 18 swings tighter than the 20 obviously. Twist on both is going to be 1/9.

I'm fairly confident that Steyr never does another run of 18" barrels. Or if they do it won't be for many years. The 18's took too long to sell. If you want one and come across one for sale, buy it without hesitation.

There is some rumbling about changes coming to the AUG barrels. People want different threading and more twist rate options. Who knows what the near future will have.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Many thanks for those insights.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top