Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2015 2:59:05 AM EDT
i guess you can change barrels in like 15 min on the current one, but i think i heard that the newer x95 has qd barrels.  I guess that i am wondering if it would be easy to switch back and forth between 9mm and 5.56 or it one may as well just have a whole other gun in 9mm....

also, i found on a bullpup forum, where iwi has an acct, that the x95 should be on the market late this year, the one w the 16" barrel.  They also said that eventually the nfa version will be sold on the civi market too.  

I prefer factory SBRs but it might be worth it to do a cut and permmattach rather than doing another tax stammp. could go from 16..5" barrel to 14.8 probably.  But I do like a 13" barrel for 5.56....   is the barrel on the x95L thick enough to make a new shoulder?

Thx.

also, are there any adjusttable gas blocks for a tavor that can moderate the gas impulse at all?

http://www.israel-weapon.com/default.asp?catid=%7B6D9367DF-6A8D-4020-8E19-A7322FFCA668%7D
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the barrel attachment system on the X95 is very similar to the standard Tavor, not QD.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe the barrel attachment system on the X95 is very similar to the standard Tavor, not QD.
View Quote

This is my understanding, too. Quick-change barrels are certainly nice to have, but I think the Tavor's changes out easily enough that it'll do for most users. (I mean, it's a semi-auto rifle, not a SAW or LMG.)
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is my understanding, too. Quick-change barrels are certainly nice to have, but I think the Tavor's changes out easily enough that it'll do for most users. (I mean, it's a semi-auto rifle, not a SAW or LMG.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay.

what i am getting at is whether i would be just as welll to get a whole new gun if i wanted a 9mm version..  Or, might it be possible to just get smething like a whole upper reciever group with the barrel and bolt along w a mag well block so that one could very easily and quickly change chamberings without a loss of zero like an AR with a spare upper half.  Can it work like that?  The serialized part is the lower w the pistol grip and FCG?

Also, is the od of a barrel large enough to make a new shoulder on a cut and permattach job?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

okay.

what i am getting at is whether i would be just as welll to get a whole new gun if i wanted a 9mm version..  Or, might it be possible to just get smething like a whole upper reciever group with the barrel and bolt along w a mag well block so that one could very easily and quickly change chamberings without a loss of zero like an AR with a spare upper half.  Can it work like that?  The serialized part is the lower w the pistol grip and FCG?

Also, is the od of a barrel large enough to make a new shoulder on a cut and permattach job?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay.

my theory is that if i get a 556 tavor, it woukd be just as well to get a 9mm version too so i am not adding another gun with another manual of arms that requires more training.  I am trying to keep iplatforms to a minimum.  The theory of the 9mm version would be as a very quiet weapon always for use with a suppressor and subsonics for late night pest control or perhaps a HD weapon that is easy on the ears, though i would prefer 556 for that role generally.  

or, i could just get another system entirely for a 9mm but i really loke the idea of the 9mm tavor to go w the 556 version and i would have to get the x95 w the 11" barrel as the older tavor cant go that short.  an x95 w 11 bbl and 9" suppressor would sttill be shorter than a colt commando w stock ~ position 2.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

okay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay.

The serialized part of the Tavor/X95 is a metal receiver inside the stock. There is no quick way to swap calibers back and forth, the easiest solution is to buy two guns.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
here is a good disassembly  vid
https://youtu.be/SkQ05rl8aZE

changing the barrel doesnt look too bad but it is not something thatt can just be done spontaneously post haste and i see there is no analog to swapping upper halves on an ar15.  

I guess the answer is to get both, one for mauradding raccons in 9mm and another for homee invaders in 556

i guess a guy could have two complete guns and swap sabra trigger packs btwixt them to save some $ lol
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]
one final ?, has anyone successfully cut the current US tar barrel froom 18 to 14.x", or is the gas system just not in the right place for it?

Thx
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

here is a good disassembly  vid

https://youtu.be/SkQ05rl8aZE

changing the barrel doesnt look too bad but it is not something thatt can just be done spontaneously post haste and i see there is no analog to swapping upper halves on an ar15.  

I guess the answer is to get both, one for mauradding raccons in 9mm and another for homee invaders in 556

i guess a guy could have two complete guns and swap sabra trigger packs btwixt them to save some $ lol
View Quote
There is a barrel/bolt/mag/mag well kit for the Tavor, I would imagine there will be the same for the x95 at some point.  Not "quick change", but substantially cheaper than buying two guns.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I just want them to offer one in 6.8 SPC II. if they do that, I'm in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
have they sold any complete 9mm TARs or just the kits?  i suspect it may be a very long time till they sell a 9mm x95
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
have they sold any complete 9mm TARs or just the kits?  i suspect it may be a very long time till they sell a 9mm x95
View Quote

Yes, you can buy a complete Tavor in 9mm
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Looking forward to their release, in whatever configuration.

More I think about it, if they come 16" I'm best off leaving it that way, never cared to form 1 something unless the barrel is going ~11" or less, especially with the option of 14.7+pinned muzzle device.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:50:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I switch back and forth between 9mm and 5.56 all the time in my Tavor. Takes like 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#14]
How much practice did it take you to get it down to 15 minutes?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Once? First time took me closer to an hour because I was figuring it all out and watching videos, and overall taking my time. Changed it back to 5.56 a week later and was at right around 15 minutes. Change it back and forth every few weeks when need dictates and that's the average time. Once you know what to do and how to do it, it's not difficult or time consuming.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Once? First time took me closer to an hour because I was figuring it all out and watching videos, and overall taking my time. Changed it back to 5.56 a week later and was at right around 15 minutes. Change it back and forth every few weeks when need dictates and that's the average time. Once you know what to do and how to do it, it's not difficult or time consuming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know; I'm saving up for that kit now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top