Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2015 6:52:12 PM EDT
I don't know why, but lately I have had an itch for a bullpup. Specifically, an AUG. I have never even handled one, much less shot one, but I'm somehow intrigued by them. Been reading reviews and watching videos, but I'd like to hear from you all - actual users - on your opinions and experiences with the Steyr AUG A3. How do they handle compared to, say, an AR? Are the mags as durable as PMAGs? How reliable are the AUGs? Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Love mine.  Mags are indestructible, and easy to load.

So far, the only malfunctions I have experienced have been from cases bouncing off my lips and back into the chamber when I tried shooting left handed ( mainly curious to see if it would hurt...it's distracting for sure).

Accuracy is better than I am.  I've been running m193 exclusively, and grouping about 2-3 inches at 100 yards off a sandbag using an Aimpoint.  Most of my shooting is done much closer and faster on flipper targets, and in that role it's the best gun I've ever owned.  I haven't tried it past 100 yards, so can't comment on accuracy at range.

My only real gripe is how hot it gets.  After burning through a couple of hundred rounds, it takes a while to cool down enough that I feel comfortable to put it back in the case.  Next time I shoot, I'm going to try removing the barrel to see if it cools down faster that way.  I can't believe that never ocurred to me before to try that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I started out a few years ago with a couple of MSAR bullpups(Aug copy). Wish they were still in business never had a problem.
Finally got me an A3 a while back. works great and if you look around you can find mags pretty cheap. I still have a
couple of AR rifles, but they don't get used much anymore. There are a couple of pictures here somewhere, just search my name.
The only thing I have against my AUG, is that by the time I put an ACOG on it I have more in the AUG than both MSAR bullpups.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Compact, fast, and rugged...super rugged. I have ran 1000s of rounds threw mine and never had anything happen but a bang..buy one and never look back... They are fantastic...

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Love mine! Must get the 9mm kit as well now before they're all gone
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:31:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I think that ship has sailed buddy.

I have an aug. Also have an msar(as said before, fantastic rifle)for sale but love my aug, for all the reasons listed above.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#6]

I got my first AUG in 1988 (A1 Green 20")
Picked up a slightly used A3 a few months ago.

The AUG continues to amaze me in its design.
The overall design and use of polymers continues to amaze me....especially it's a design from the 70's

The mags are very durable and as of late very affordable.

Comparing the AUG to the AR? In terms of....?
Both are very accurate and effective infantry weapons.
But two very different designs......

The AUG handles a lot faster on a timed range (competition)or CQB type of warfare.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I went with the A3 CQC model from Pete.  I can't be happier about it.

Btw, I only using the Steyr mags and can't destroy them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess what I meant in comparison to the AR was in terms of how easy it was to transition from use of an AR to an AUG.  So far, I'm liking what I hear and see.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Transition from ar to aug is easy.... Don't transition.... When I pick up a new rifle be it Tavor, Aug, fn2000, Kriss, Uzi, mpx whatever I never tell myself..ok how can I run this like a ar... I grew up with the American sweety in my hands so at first I would try and use its feel to help me learn the new platform... That's were most go wrong.. When you buy your aug.. Just start playing with it at the range.. Think of it as a beautiful woman... Pretty much guns are a metal form of a woman to all us arfcomers... We wanna touch and feel every part of her before we see what really clicks and makes her purr.. my advice on the aug is accessories really dictate how you run the gun... If you run certain optics will decide if you charge her knuckles up or down. . If you add a switch back charge handle which are a amazing upgrade or if you wanna keep it original.. They all Change the way you run her to help blend the gun to ones body type and shooting style..They are truly a different breed then the ar and have a totally different feel then their American brother in arms.. But once you get the feel of how she runs in your hands the way you shoot personally you will fall in love with the design and function just like we all did.. I remember the first time I shot outta a truck with one or opened a door while still keeping the rifle in my shoulder with easy... They are a amazing design..sorry about the paragraph just have a deep love for the Aug and also Tavor...super pumped another arfcomer is joining the pup family

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know why, but lately I have had an itch for a bullpup. Specifically, an AUG. I have never even handled one, much less shot one, but I'm somehow intrigued by them. Been reading reviews and watching videos, but I'd like to hear from you all - actual users - on your opinions and experiences with the Steyr AUG A3. How do they handle compared to, say, an AR? Are the mags as durable as PMAGs? How reliable are the AUGs? Any input would be appreciated.
View Quote

I've been shooting my AUG at our local rifle match for about a year. My take is:

1) Handling is better than an AR as the balance is better, the controls are better placed, and the controls are designed to allow operation with cold hands or wearing mittens.

2) The AUG mags are at least as durable as Pmags. I shoot with a guy who has been shooting his original AUG for 20 years (he's burned out the barrel and accuracy went to hell) and he's yet to break a mag. He has broken some small parts of the rifle itself, but the broken parts are all contained in the standard factory spares kit.

3) My AUG had been pretty much totally reliable. I've induced a stoppage by folding the CH on a barricade while shooting and by coving the ejection port with my hand while firing off side. I have seen short stroking with Tula when it's cold, but turning the gas regulator to 'adverse' fixed that.

4) Firing off side is a bit problematic. I use my hand as a case deflector when shooting left handed, it keeps the cases out of my mouth and eyes, but doesn't make for a steady hold.

6) The design is very conservative. No steel moving parts wear touch aluminum: there are steel inserts for the op rods, barrel trunnion, barrel support, CH latch, and gas piston support. This makes all contact points steel on steel.

7) Barrels can be changed in seconds while hot without ever touching metal.  Probably more important for full auto support weapon fire but it is nice. Removing barrels and swapping had never resulted in and POI change that I've seen.

AJ
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I jammed up one bad shooting tula . Case had to be hammered out.
If there is little breeze the fumes will make you gag.

But i also want one
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess what I meant in comparison to the AR was in terms of how easy it was to transition from use of an AR to an AUG.  So far, I'm liking what I hear and see.
View Quote

The AUG is so simple. I find it very easy to shoot. In reality if you're at all mechanically inclined and a gun guy, it is not difficult to transition between multiple platforms.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Do they really have a big problem with steel cased ammo?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That always seems to be a hit or miss problem, no matter what rifle your firing.
I've seen guys complain their AUGs dont like it, Tavors dont like it, ARs dont like it, etc. Then the next post will have a guy saying his rifle digests the steel cass stuff just fine.

I think as long as you keep your chambers relatively clean from lacquer build up any gun will shoot steel cased ammo.

I was able to shoot steel wolf 556 in my A3, though I did have to use the "adverse" gas setting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:13:49 AM EDT
[#15]
AUG is good!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:53:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Both my old school A1 and A3 eat up steel.... Russian .223 is underpowered though and shoots a little dirtier....
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:53:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 4 page thread talking at length about it, is currently right below this one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Lots of good info in that thread, thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top