Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2015 12:46:49 PM EDT
How heavy are these barrels? I know they don't support a bipod so, I'm hoping they don't mess up the off-hand balance.  The thought of a 24" barrel in a package the size of a fixed stock 16" barreled AR-15 is enticing if the ergonomics and balance aren't messed up.

How do the 24" barreled AUGs work in the real world'?  Too nose heavy?  Too slow to transition?  Is the velocity gain worth while?

TIA,
Sid

p.s.  Underwhelmed with 16" ballistic performance on coyotes and looking for more oomph on random <100lb hogs
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Are these the barrels Pete was selling 6-8 months ago?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Aside from some more velocity.
I don't think I could get anymore use out of that ..that  I couldn't get our of a 20...

Barrel accuracy is not always relative to length...
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How heavy are these barrels? I know they don't support a bipod so, I'm hoping they don't mess up the off-hand balance.  The thought of a 24" barrel in a package the size of a fixed stock 16" barreled AR-15 is enticing if the ergonomics and balance aren't messed up.

How do the 24" barreled AUGs work in the real world'?  Too nose heavy?  Too slow to transition?  Is the velocity gain worth while?

TIA,
Sid

p.s.  Underwhelmed with 16" ballistic performance on coyotes and looking for more oomph on random <100lb hogs
View Quote

You could get the factory rail that replaces the front grip and use a bipod if it's too front heavy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You could get the factory rail that replaces the front grip and use a bipod if it's too front heavy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA,
Sid

maleante posted this a while back.

I think that's a slick set up!

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:07:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an original 1/7 24" with bipod and a new 1/9 24" barrel. A year ago there was a lot of talk and pictures of a bipod design for these new 24" barrels. While the new bipod looks neat, I'll buy one to "have" but not use. The 24" barrels are more accurate without the bipod. Like the picture above I also use the grip rail and a bipod on a Special Receiver.
I wonder if this AUG will be your only AUG, I personally don't think that a 24" barrel is the way to go on your only AUG. The barrel is just too long. It isn't a good length for much more than stationary situations.
Don't get me wrong, I like the 24" barrel and it nails steel plates where I aim, but it isn't an ideal barrel length for someone's only AUG.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 16" barreled AUG.  The longer barrel would be for better performance on hogs.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like more of an ammo issue. What ammo are you using and at what distances are you seeing poor performance?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds like more of an ammo issue. What ammo are you using and at what distances are you seeing poor performance?
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
MK-262 @ 100yds.

Ice Picks on coyotes too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a 16" barreled AUG.  The longer barrel would be for better performance on hogs.
View Quote

Ive never had a problem with any 5.56 out of a 16" ar

Including mk262
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Including mk262
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Including mk262

The boars here are really tough and nasty.  Had one 80# that I had to lung punch and leave.  Head shot with 45ACP was not effective.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Mk262 is still yaw dependent for fragmentation
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Aside from some more velocity.
I don't think I could get anymore use out of that ..that  I couldn't get our of a 20...

Barrel accuracy is not always relative to length...
View Quote

I saw a study that compared velocities out of 10, 14.5, 16, 20, and 21.5 inch (the last was out of M17S) barrels. I think it said that after 22? or 24? the friction was actually counter productive.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/STG_77/24%20AUG/100_5676_zps50b828d6.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA,
Sid

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/STG_77/24%20AUG/100_5676_zps50b828d6.jpg

Which country is this?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The boars here are really tough and nasty.  Had one 80# that I had to lung punch and leave.  Head shot with 45ACP was not effective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Including mk262

I live and hunt in Texas.

Never had a problem.

Has this happened multiple times?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Which country is this?
View Quote

Uruguay

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Never had a problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Including mk262

Never had a problem.

Yes.  Piglets are pretty easy, sows and boars are hard to put down.

Sounds like MK-262 isn't a good choice for my rifle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Including mk262

Never had a problem.

Have you tried federal fusion?

M193 is nothing to sneeze at either
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#19]
There is always the 20" also. Those balance near perfect and get you some more velocity over the 16".

AJ
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA,
Sid

Talked to Steyr Mannlicher in Austria and I was able to get the part numbers for those parts seen in the pictures - "heavy duty barrel rail with bipod pin" and the original LMG muzzle brake.

Soon...
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Including mk262

Never had a problem.

I'm interested in learning more about your rifle performance on Coyote's and Hogs in general.  I'm not sure BBL length is your source of troubles, it might be ammo selection for the Coyote's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Talked to Steyr Mannlicher in Austria and I was able to get the part numbers for those parts seen in the pictures - "heavy duty barrel rail with bipod pin" and the original LMG muzzle brake.

Soon...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA,
Sid

Soon...

Parts now orderable for an extremely limited time period.

http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=8692.msg84827#msg84827

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/449984_AUG_24_barrel_special_order___time_sensitive_deal_from_Steyr.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Are the 24's for sale now or are they vapor ware, Do they sell the barrel in a 1/7? 1/9 is too slow . . . .
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Are the 24's for sale now or are they vapor ware, Do they sell the barrel in a 1/7? 1/9 is too slow . . . .
View Quote

http://www.steyrarms.com/store/index.php/aug-a3-factory-stock-black-w-fore-grip.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The US made 24" barrels are all 1/9. I think Pete still has some.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top