Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2015 10:03:49 AM EDT
I'm looking into acquiring an optic for a Steyr AUG 3 and looking at the Vortex VIPER PST.

Wondering what the best mount is for it providing the best cheek weld/eye relief combination?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone? Anyone?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on how high you like your scopes.

Just make sure any nuts, levers, or other fasteners are or can be moved to the right side. Your knuckles will thank you.

AJ
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
This option only works on the A3 model.  You may want to have a look.
http://www.ratworxusa.com/?q=node/508
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the tr3g rails. It is extremely light. The height is good too as you can use rings only instead of a mount.
I believe rtp is using or used seekins precision rings with good success.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Heres my A3 nato with the tr3g. Puts the scope at the perfect height for me.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/ovD9zNll.jpg
View Quote

Nice setup. What scope are you using?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got the Bushnell ar223 on it. The tr3g gives the A3 a classic AUG feel and look.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This option only works on the A3 model.  You may want to have a look.
http://www.ratworxusa.com/?q=node/508
View Quote

Is this the 2020 rail that was legendary, never to be produced again or am I confused?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the Manticore Talon, looks like they might still have some, not sure as it says backordered:

http://www.manticorearms.com/Talon-AUG-A3-Scope-Mount-MA-8200.htm
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Vortex 2" cantilever is a better choice. The Talon is terribly overpriced.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Just my opinion, FWIW;

I ended up disliking a magnified optic on my AUG A3. Made weak side shooting very, ah, interesting. Plus, I didn't like how much weight it added to the rifle.

Ended up sticking a Vortex SPARC micro dot on it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just my opinion, FWIW;

I ended up disliking a magnified optic on my AUG A3. Made weak side shooting very, ah, interesting. Plus, I didn't like how much weight it added to the rifle.

View Quote

We'll see how the Vortex works out. The AUG is not my main self-defense/home defense SBR, so it is more for fun than anything else.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Optic height for the AUG and any rifle can be highly preferential, but it appears that 1.5 inches from the top of the pic rail to the center of the optic is about the general minimum for the AUG...and actually/probably most combat-style rifles.  Most 1.5" mounts are usually referred to as "high" mounts.  I try to keep the scope as low as possible while maintaining good cheek weld and head/eye position.  The medium 1.25" mounts didn't work for me on the AUG...and most other rifles like my AR's and the Tavor...1.5" mounts fit me.  On the crazy tall classic AUG optic and some of these other tall rails, you do need to be aware of some things depending on how the rifle will be used.  Taller than 1.5" rail-to-optic center mounts...or off the rifle top if using one of these aftermarket riser rail systems...will push the optic quite high in some cases.  If you use the rifle in a tactical class/school or simulated combat situations, the optic can be easier to bang into things or be a problem in shooting under or against obstacles.  I realize the original AUG design sticks that optic up in the stratosphere even though it's a narrower optic, but you really don't see that as the optimum setup today on most real combat/tactical environment situations.  But again...optics are highly preferential and people are built differently to achieve cheek weld, so you may not works best for you until you try different setups.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We'll see how the Vortex works out. The AUG is not my main self-defense/home defense SBR, so it is more for fun than anything else.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just my opinion, FWIW;

The Vortex PST Viper line is a good optic in itself, (have one in an ADM Recon mount on my 16" Recce AR) it just makes the AUG feel a bit heavy and I like to be able to shoot all my rifles from weak side. So only a red dot will let me accomplish that on my AUG.

You might also look into the Primary Arms 4x ACSS scope. I tried mine on my AUG for shits and giggles. It works pretty well, except for the whole shooting from left hand thing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Aimpoint pro on mine ... Never looked back.. WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Just a note:

This is not a thread about optics for the AUG, but a thread about **mounts** for a magnified optic.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Vortex 2" cantilever is a better choice. The Talon is terribly overpriced.
View Quote

Looks like a nice mount, you used the mount "backwards" to bring the optic back for eye relief correct?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, mount it "backwards" for that purpose.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/ovD9zNll.jpg
View Quote

You might want to mention what height rings you're using - the rail is higher than the OEM A3 rail, and I believe also higher than the AUG mil. height rail, so it needs shorter than 'typical' rings in most cases, IIRC < 1" height rings.

I like the 2020 Precision rail, and would likely be running one if not running a Talon currently.  I may wind up picking one up at some point - I like the Talon, but as someone mentioned, variable mag. optics and support-side shooting can be a bit 'challenging' in various classes, so I wouldn't mind swapping out my VX6 with an Aimpoint micro now and then..if I eventually go that route, I'll pick up another (shorter) set of Seekins Precision rings - good quality, and no bolt heads protruding out the side.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got my optic mounted and the Vortex 2" cantilever is perfect. I was able to get it positioned for perfect eye relief precisely as I shoulder the rifle.

Frankly, it's way, way cool.

Vortex Viper PST with the Vortex mount. An affordable way to go, unless, you know...you go overseas to kill the bad guys for a living, etc. Then Uncle Sam will provide anything/everything your little heart desires by way of gear.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like the Manticore Talon, looks like they might still have some, not sure as it says backordered:

http://www.manticorearms.com/Talon-AUG-A3-Scope-Mount-MA-8200.htm
View Quote

It looked familiar so I went rummaging; I have two.

IM me if someone needs one. I'm going to pass puting one on my cqc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top