Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2015 12:11:53 PM EDT
Featured/reviewed in July American Rifleman.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The article is on the Rifleman website too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Not much to the article
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think I have ever seen a American rifleman article that said anything negative ever.

I like the accuracy reports they do but wonder if there are any shenanigans with that, any M1 owners want to chime in on the groups they got?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think I have ever seen a American rifleman article that said anything negative ever.

I like the accuracy reports they do but wonder if there are any shenanigans with that, any M1 owners want to chime in on the groups they got?
View Quote

I find American Rifleman to be the only mainstream gun rag that ever says anything negative...
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#5]
As to "American Rifleman", some of the lack of serious negativity in reviewing currently produced firearms might also have something to do with the fact that there's not nearly as much "junk" out there.  Even the Highpoint guns are remarkably reliable and perform decently at their pricepoints...despite the derision from many gun snobs.  Usually I'll take an American Rifleman writeup over many of the other magazines out there.  Honestly, I think I get more "review" info from a few of the excellent blogs and online sources that are available today, but I'd rate "AR" as my favorite overall "rag".
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
American rifleman if just an ad magazine for guns. They write zero negative reviews.

Having said that, I'm contemplating switching my A1 F/A host to an A3 host. Problem is that to make the change would cost around $3800, as I would have to first buy the host, then the F/A parts. This is according to Pete, who btw, is super knowledgable and helpful.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:32:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine's pretty darned accurate.  If you can control the trigger and keep the weak 3X on target, you can get 2 MOA groups pretty easily, and under 1.5 MOA with good handloads.  Sometimes as low as 1 MOA (like with good 75 gr loads), but that's not what I'd call typical.  Obviously crap off-the shelf ball shots worse than that.

Article understates the trigger though.  It sucks.  It has a long creep and a 10 # break.  They act like that's no big deal, it is.  I had to order a 2020 Sear, which did pretty much eliminate the creep, and dropped it down to about 7.5#, which is still really high, but getting rid of the creep is vital to getting good shots.

Don't know why they had jams, but I hear that can happen with a brand new AUG.  Broken in, they run like an Austrian watch.  Mine has never jammed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I still have t read it but don't most mags "praise" the reviewed item so they can keep getting/sometimes keeping the reviewed item?
The only mag I've seen bash something is Gun Tests and I've dropped it due to cost.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I still have t read it but don't most mags "praise" the reviewed item so they can keep getting/sometimes keeping the reviewed item?
The only mag I've seen bash something is Gun Tests and I've dropped it due to cost.
View Quote

This is pretty much true.  For many/most technical and mechanical review print magazines, advertising is the life blood.  That can put a real dent in critical reporting in many cases.  That's why I tend to like the blogs and such a little more...but...even they often have to rely on receiving "free" weapons to test, so it's a vicious cycle.  Hey...maybe these internet forums are really the best source of info...LOL!...once you wade through all the chaff.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Much truth, but American Rofleman is better than most.  You have to learn how to interpret the articles.  They'll say things like "serviceable accuracy", but then tell you the actual data, of 5 MOA.  They put enough info in there, that if you pay attention, you can decide for yourself.  Id say the ARifleman article is actually pretty correct I. Both content and commentary, with the exception that they state  the stock trigger is pretty good. Fortunately, they then print the actual weight (see what they did there? ;)). Compared to a TAVOR trigger it is, but even a bad AR trigger is better than a stock AUG trigger.  The good news is it can be improved, for about $30- $100 into a pretty decent trigger.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Two stage trigger takes some getting used to. After a while, it's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I have fired my aug and I have fired my Tavor but there was almost a month between.
My daughter in law wants to go shooting  so if that works out I will bring both and compare. Also, my youngest wants to go, too! I knew her boyfriend would be a good influence.

I will make a sincere attempt to read the article over the holiday weekend!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top