Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2015 8:05:24 PM EDT
I recently bought a Tavor and I'm not sure what kind of optic for it,
red dot or low powered scope.
I really would like something that would hold up to SHTF situations.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you'll find supporters on both sides of that decision

One thing to consider, the cheek weld is higher on a Tavor than an AR, so lots of folks get risers or naturally higher optics to match the height of the stock BUIS
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll get lots of different opinions on this because there are so many variables between shooters, situations, and conditions.  SHTF can mean a lot of different things based on where you live, so you kind of have to define the "S" in SHTF.  I'm running an Eotech on my Tavor, as I see my Tavor as an excellent closer quarters rifle as opposed to my AR's which all have scopes of varying powers.  I don't think it's that a Tavor has no long range performance as far as accuracy goes, it's just that it's so good as a close quarters weapon, and I have other rifles.  I've been contemplating putting a 2-7 scope on my Steyr AUG, but I love the way it performs with the red dot that's on it.  Perhaps one of the decent illuminated reticle 1-6 scopes would cover more bases, but I've gotten to check a couple out that were mounted on AR's.  For me a good Aimpoint, Eotech, or other red dot has quicker acquisition over a 1-power scope, even with an illuminated reticle.  Like I said, however, people are different and so are their preferences.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Started out with a Comp M4 on my Tavor.  Never seemed right.

Then put an EXPS on it. Liked it more than the M4, it seemed right. So I got an Eotech magnifier. Really liked the setup.

Then I got the want to try an Acog on my Tavor. So it currently has a TA01NSN with reflex on it. Like it from playing around with it. Waiting on a mount before I zero it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I run an Aimpoint Pro on mine converted to 9mm. Dont really need magnification in this setup and will literally last years when on. Co witnesses perfectly with Factory BUIS.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I am running a primary arms 1x6 in high rings
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've gotten to see one of these on a friend's AR.  If I were going to a scope over a red dot style optic on a bullpup or carbine AR, I think this is the one.  It's a good value, relatively short, and has a good illuminated reticle.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]
How well do these scopes hold up to normal wear and tear?
Quoted:

I've gotten to see one of these on a friend's AR.  If I were going to a scope over a red dot style optic on a bullpup or carbine AR, I think this is the one.  It's a good value, relatively short, and has a good illuminated reticle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want a red dot & magnification selectable in one package take a look at the Elcan.
( Not inexpensive )

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Mepro RDS
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]

I was running an EoTech 516 on my Tavor but felt it was just too heavy for that weapon.
Decided on a Bushnell TRS25 1x25  3moa....

Love the Elcan but for the type shooting I do - I could not justify the cost.
I am shooting 100 yards/less - magnified optics are just not logical to me at that range.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I started out using older optics I already had:
Compact ACOG (TA50-4 • 3x24) with riser

I then added a Gear Head Works full Razorback rail (to get rid of riser)

and am using my Aimpoint CompML2 4 MOA (co-witness w/Magpul Pro MBUS)
...but I am going to get a Meprolight RDS
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I went with a Mepro21 and Primary Arms 3x magnifier in a "high" primary arms flip to side mount. Works great! It's always on and no batteries to worry about.

" />
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two Tavors. One is the IDF model with the Mepro M21 sight and the twist on MX3 magnifier. It's a pretty solid system for my purposes (up to about 250 yards max). My other one has the Mepro TruDot, which is such a solid optic that I bought a second one for my Scar. The dot is small and crisp and the motion sensor on the sight works well. Also, it runs on AA batteries, which are about as common as they get.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a 1-4 on at first. It worked fine. Switched to an Eotech EXPS for now. I like it but who knows if it will stay. Choosing a Tavor optic was hard decision for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I am trying a ACOG TA 31.  I like the 4x and the Bindon aiming works great for me. I have tried several optics with and without a riser. The AR in my avatar now wears an Eotech.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 3:21:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I stayed with the Israeli theme, and went with the Tru Dot RDS. Great optic, and just looks like it belongs on the Tavor.

Not the best pic.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#17]
EXPS
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a VORTEX SPARC on mine and I have absolute co-witness with my irons.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Comp ML3 4moa for me

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've beat the hell out of mine on three different ARs and have never had an issue. Well over 5k rounds behind one and never an issue.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Mepro RDS on mine. Love it.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to update my post above a bit concerning the Eotech I installed on my 16" Tavor.  I had seen Eotech's claims about the advantage of their 1MOA dot, but shooting around my house on my property...only in the 50-60 yard range...I hadn't noticed any real advantage over the 3 other red dot equipped rifles I have concerning accuracy and/or target acquisition.  Well, after making a couple of recent trips out to my local range for longer distances, I think I see the advantage...literally.  I bought this rifle as more of a CQC rifle, and indeed it excels in this area.  I have other rifles that are assigned to longer range use in AR15 and AR10 platforms.  However, it would be nice to feel more confident to 100 yards with a CQC rifle like the Tavor.  Well, at the 100 yard mark with the 1MOA Eotech, I can see the more pinpoint advantage in my sight picture.  And when I started firing more rapidly, I was definitely able to reacquire the target more effectively.  On my last trip earlier this week I also brought along my Steyr AUG with its Bushnell AR optic 1X red dot scope that is about a 2-3 MOA dot.  While quite usable, the more defined 1MOA dot on the Eotech was noticeably better for the longer range.  Closer in there seems to be no advantage/disadvantage.  At first I was a little put off with the circle around the red dot on the Eotech.  Yes, I had read the reason for that circle's fuzzy nature so I knew there was nothing wrong with the reticle.  However, the more I've shot my Tavor with this sight, I'm getting the usefulness of this reticle design.  Close in, you get a bigger "blob" if speed and acquisition are more important than pinpoint accuracy.  You just put the circle "blob" center mass on your close in target in milliseconds without worrying about the pinpoint red dot.  You can't miss that red circle reticle in a quick, throw-your-rifle-up type of situation.  Yes, I've been playing "commando" at our local range...LOL!  I also love the way the red circle perfectly co-witnesses with the circle in my iron sights on the Tavor.  I run my Eotech on its existing mount and don't use a riser.  Shooters will vary a lot on this optic height issue.  I have no issue with cheek weld and eye-to-optic acquisition at this standard height.  And the rifle is already stupid tall to me, so I don't want to add to that.

I'll also add that I have a slight astigmatism in my right (shooting) eye.  I shoot with corrected lenses which pretty much eliminates it, but I can see the faintest, tiny bloom at the top of my dot.  The smaller, more defined dot in the Eotech minimizes that bloom, so for me this was another benefit.  People are different, conditions can vary, and preferences can vary.  I can see the advantage for my situation in the 1MOA dot in the Eotech when I shoot out to 100 yards or further.  This has really only become more evident the more I've used it.  I guess it just confirms the old adage about first impressions not always being the do-all, end-all.  There are tons of excellent optics out there, and I highly doubt any of them can check every "box" for every shooter.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Specter Dr

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I went back to the ACOG w/Razorback rail

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#25]

EoTech for me.
I picked the model (516) with the 7mm raised base and it works fine for cheek weld.

I thought about a 1-4 variable but want less "bulk" on top of the rifle.
And the Eo still allows the use of BUIS, without having to remove the optic.

SHTF situation is very broad and speculative - your results my vary.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I began with a TA-33 in a high Bobro mount, it was the same height as the irons, and life was good. But something felt wrong. Perhaps because I already have some pretty handy 'go to' rifles, I wanted this to stay true to form and have since switched to a Meprolight M-21. It looks right, co-witnesses irons, and is actually a pretty darn neat optic. I was very impressed with how bright it was in darkness. Fiber-optic shortcomings notwithstanding (the whole being in the dark and glassing something bright leading to reticle washout), I am very pleased with it.

Having said all that, if I were made of money, and looking for some general purpose setup I'd likely go with a 1/4x Elcan DR. Those are pretty neato.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I experimented with a number of optics.  Ultimately I've settled on an Eotech XPS2 .

I have an aimpoint pro and it works great, I just prefer the look of the eotech on the Tavor.

A good red dot like those two can be used effectively out to 300 yards (beyond if you are well skilled).
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Neither my Docter micro dot on a riser, or Eotech were high enough.

I also ended up going with my Sparc, because it came with multiple options for mounting height. The high mount with the extra shim seems to work best for me.

[Not sighted in yet.]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I originally got the ELCAN for the TAVOR, but now it sit's on my SBR.  Currently the TAVOR wears an M-21.  I like the RDS, but with my astigmatism, any not getting any younger eyes, the M-21 seems to work better right now.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I run an Aimpoint Pro on mine converted to 9mm. Dont really need magnification in this setup and will literally last years when on. Co witnesses perfectly with Factory BUIS.

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o481/trentcam/WP_20150526_16_54_25_Pro_zpshqjfqw7n.jpg
View Quote
How did you fit Hi-Power MkIII grips on your CZ75?

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I went with a Mepro21 and Primary Arms 3x magnifier in a "high" primary arms flip to side mount. Works great! It's always on and no batteries to worry about.

http://<a href=http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee308/JoniLozano/Tavoroptics_zpsgane5bod.jpg</a>" />
View Quote
I ended up putting a Mepro 21 on mine, and I really like it. Honestly, I prefer it over the Comp M4 I have on my AR.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Eotec 512 & Vortex magnifier

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I started out using older optics I already had:
Compact ACOG (TA50-4 • 3x24) with riser
http://i.imgur.com/rp9K6O0.jpg
I then added a Gear Head Works full Razorback rail (to get rid of riser)
http://i.imgur.com/A64ZoXp.jpg
and am using my Aimpoint CompML2 4 MOA (co-witness w/Magpul Pro MBUS)
...but I am going to get a Meprolight RDS
View Quote

Sorry to go off topic, love all the optics here but what foregrip is that???
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sorry to go off topic, love all the optics here but what foregrip is that???
View Quote

A•B Arms T-Grip
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Many options out there.  I personally will get the Leupold VX•R 1.25-4x20mm with a AD-RECON Scope Mount and have flip up caps on the objective and a Leupold Custom Dial System (CDS) made for the bullet I was shooting.

Leave the objective cover closed when using it as a RDS and open when you need magnification.  Change your batteries every year.   Peace!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I decided on a elcan specter DR and several other tests.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o481/trentcam/WP_20150526_16_54_25_Pro_zpshqjfqw7n.jpg

Came that way from AIM. Havent goteen around to new grips yet on the CZ.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm running a Holosun , that's who makes the PA reddot . mine it the size of a T-1 and has T-1 mounts with solar power back up to the 50000 hour battery life.2 moa dot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I had an EOTECH EXPS2 on mine for a while.  The "E" model with the built in base raises the sight, and works well on a Tavor.  I moved my EXPS to my Colt 6933.  Have a Vortex Spitfire 3x on the way to try on the Tavor.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#40]

The EoTechs with the taller sight base work best.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top