BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So...... about that .308 version. looks like 16 and 19" will be the options.  Curious BBL lengths.  19"?  I was leaning more towards a 20", or maybe even a 22" if it were to be offered, for .308.  Since .308 is about power.  An BBL length = power.  An bullpup = short, so a 22" Bullpup .308 would be about as awesome a as you could get!

View Quote

The goal was the shortest overall length and still remain complaint.  At this stage of the game, I'm not sure they want to cannibalize their SRS sales just yet.  ;-)
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#2]
The MDR forearm should be either M-Lok or Key-mod compatible IMO.

Full-length/long picatinny side-rail systems are a bit dated nowadays.

My .02
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My .02
View Quote

IIRC, it was either in something that was said at SHOT (in one of the videos) or more likely one of the recent MDR centric FB posts (as an answer to a question) that the forearm was M-Lok and the rail sections were connected via that method.  It makes sense to make it M-Lok rather than Key-mod because Key-mod isn't very polymer friendly based on the design specs.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

IIRC, it was either in something that was said at SHOT (in one of the videos) or more likely one of the recent MDR centric FB posts (as an answer to a question) that the forearm was M-Lok and the rail sections were connected via that method.  It makes sense to make it M-Lok rather than Key-mod because Key-mod isn't very polymer friendly based on the design specs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .02

If the report is correct having a M-Lok compatible forearm would be great.

I'm in for a 19" MDR Echo in .308 with a 6.5 Creedmoor conversion barrel.

Thx
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .02

Thx

You'll probably be waiting a while for the 6.5 Creedmore as the initial production has been (at least as of SHOT 2015) allocated to 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51mm guns.  I'm not a big fan of the 6.8SPC, but when they do offer that conversion, I hope they use the LWRC Six8 mags that Magpul developed rather than normal 6.8 mags.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Im a big fan of DTA, and the MDR has some really innovative features but I dont see the MDR unseating the AUG or the Tavor. To start with, absent another panic, the market is fairly saturated both in bullpups and military style rifles in general. Assuming initial cost of $2000, I just dont see what it brings to the table for the average joe to make the jump. Bullpup guys, shooters, collectors may take the plunge. AUG/Tavor owners? Your average joe who just wants a rifle to take to the range, teach their kid to shoot, or have it handy if the time comes?

Average joe doesnt care about 7.62 conversions(that add several hundred $$$ to the price), hell I dont really care about 7.62 anymore and I have more disposable income and time than a lot of people. It lacks the longevity and real world performance history that the AUG/Tavor have. And lets face it, right or wrong, battle proven designs are what average joes want even though their usage patterns will never come close. I dont think they will get many converts from the mature bullpup designs either.

Now if they manage to bring it out around the street price of a Tavor or AUG then people might be more inclined to take a chance on an as yet "untested" design. Im left wondering who their target market is. The air is getting thin at the $2k range. All that being said I definitely fancy one in 6 or 6.5 CM!
View Quote

I doubt that the mdr is intended to dominate the bullpup market. That isn't the point, the srs is also very expensive in its class, savage and remington make much cheaper options, but dta does just fine with its smaller market for a very high end product. IIa guessing that is what they are aiming for with the mdr, a smaller group of sales, but at the high end. Ferrari doesn't sell a ton of cars, but they do just fine, same principle.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You'll probably be waiting a while for the 6.5 Creedmore as the initial production has been (at least as of SHOT 2015) allocated to 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51mm guns.  I'm not a big fan of the 6.8SPC, but when they do offer that conversion, I hope they use the LWRC Six8 mags that Magpul developed rather than normal 6.8 mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .02

Thx

I can wait for the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, that's why I'll get it in 308.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd be interested at 2 grand for a .223/.308 convertable and 1600 for a dedicated 556.

I'd probably sell some stuff and get one of each.

I'm just worried that the first gen guns will have issues not caught in R&D.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd be interested at 2 grand for a .223/.308 convertable and 1600 for a dedicated 556.

View Quote

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I really want to see how they're going to successfully create a structurally durable .308/5.56 that is truly "convertible".  I'm not saying it can't be done, but this is a challenging engineering feat...shooting two notably different calibers of varying energy levels out of a platform that isn't too heavy or too light for one caliber or the other.  I have an AR15 and a pair of AR10's.  Shooting these rifles over time, you get why they are not built on the same platform.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]

A 7.62x39 bullpup that takes Kalashnikov magazines is what I was hoping for with this one.  There's still no such thing except that goofy kit with the eight inch tall front sight on it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I really want to see how they're going to successfully create a structurally durable .308/5.56 that is truly "convertible".  I'm not saying it can't be done, but this is a challenging engineering feat...shooting two notably different calibers of varying energy levels out of a platform that isn't too heavy or too light for one caliber or the other.  I have an AR15 and a pair of AR10's.  Shooting these rifles over time, you get why they are not built on the same platform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With what's been shown (on various videos from SHOT 2014 and 2015, as well as the writers' preview last fall), this really shouldn't be an issue.  The platform is sized (magwell length) for .308, and the mag well spacer drops down from the top.  It would be no more difficult than converting a standard 5.56mm AR to 9mm or .22LR.  Their goal is ~7lbs IIRC.  

Given that they have the experience on the SRS and HTI, I'll trust they know what they're doing and check my skepticism at the door.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm curious how the ejection port cover works and how you can quickly check and assess the chamber for problems.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm curious how the ejection port cover works and how you can quickly check and assess the chamber for problems.
View Quote

It takes all of about a second or so based on the video from SHOT 2014.  IIRC, it slides back and then opens and you have a normal ejection port like you'd see on an AR-15.

Here's a video that will show how quick and easy it is...about the 2:23 point.  This was back when they were showing it off...

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A 7.62x39 bullpup that takes Kalashnikov magazines is what I was hoping for with this one.  There's still no such thing except that goofy kit with the eight inch tall front sight on it.
View Quote

Actually, there is. Or was.
The Norinco 86s. Only about 2,000 were imported. You can still find therm out there, for around $2,000. I had one, but had to sell it.
It even takes the drum mags.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

With what's been shown (on various videos from SHOT 2014 and 2015, as well as the writers' preview last fall), this really shouldn't be an issue.  The platform is sized (magwell length) for .308, and the mag well spacer drops down from the top.  It would be no more difficult than converting a standard 5.56mm AR to 9mm or .22LR.  Their goal is ~7lbs IIRC.  

Given that they have the experience on the SRS and HTI, I'll trust they know what they're doing and check my skepticism at the door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. They are some gifted folks for sure.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It takes all of about a second or so based on the video from SHOT 2014.  IIRC, it slides back and then opens and you have a normal ejection port like you'd see on an AR-15.

Here's a video that will show how quick and easy it is...about the 2:23 point.  This was back when they were showing it off...

https://youtu.be/Zr_E2m7_TRg?t=2m20s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/Zr_E2m7_TRg?t=2m20s

Thank you!

Sounds like all they need to do now is add rails to the MDR-C so people can run a light and laser and it will be good to go.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Norinco 86s. Only about 2,000 were imported. You can still find therm out there, for around $2,000. I had one, but had to sell it.

<a href="http://s756.photobucket.com/user/vanvideo/media/arfcom%202/type86s_zpspgce0mtt.jpg.html" target="_blank"></a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s756.photobucket.com/user/vanvideo/media/arfcom%202/type86s_zpspgce0mtt.jpg.html" target="_blank"></a>

I wonder how well that reloads with standard 30's (photo looks shorter than a regular 30.  A 20 or 25?).  I seems like the pistol grip is going to crowd getting the caming started on trying to quickly put in a fresh 30 round AK mag.  And... is that an AUG foregrip??
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:32:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I suspect this rifle will never make it to the market.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:13:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?

It's not like Desert Tech is a new company and they have working prototypes, some gun writers have already been invited out to shoot them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I too am a little nervous but it's just because of how ambitious this rifle is. I'm worried the quick change optional barrels will go the way of the ACR and be vaporwear, and if it does come out it'll be 3k+. Having said all that, it looks almost finished, and is touted as being the same. Like a few months away 'finished'.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Promises does not equal product that you can purchase.

All of these new companies talk about how their gun is going to be modular, they're going to offer every single caliber, conversion kits, tons of accessories, integral suppressors, HDMI inputs, bluetooth, etc.  Promise after promise.  It never happens.  If they actually make it to production, they might sell a few thousand rifles of the initial design, but after that it'll poop out.  Your 6.8 model will be relegated to "coming soon" on the website for 3 years before the company goes bankrupt.  

The costs to research, test and produce reliable quality product is huge.  Just the machining costs are nearly insurmountable if you don't have enough volume to justify the tooling.  The only way they will offer all the calibers, kits, variants, etc. is if they charge a ton of $$$$$$$ for each rifle, essentially made-to-order, and if it costs much more than the competition it's already dead in the water.

There are simply too many other real, proven products produced by legitimate companies with military contracts for this to be worth considering.

If a custom, sometimes finicky curiosity is your thing, then yeah it'll be great.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I really don't see Desert Tech as having the same operating ethics as Bushmaster or MSAR.  They already have the barrel swap system pretty much perfected and it works in every SRS or HTI rifle they sell.  Also, DT isn't just some "new company", they've been around for quite a few years and have built up a respectable track record for quality and capability.  

If you want to start pointing fingers, point it at Magpul for being seduced by the jackals at Bushmaster.  Anyone who has watched the company for any amount of time knows they never fully or adequately support something they didn't develop.  It happened with the .308 that they brought out, it happened when they bought the company that offered long action (.300WM and larger) AR pattern rifles, and until recently, it happened with the Carbon 97.  As for MSAR, the blame for any ills experienced by the company can be laid at the feet of the owner.

I don't think Desert Tech would have participated in the hype around the MDR, invited certain industry insiders to test it, and generally present the rifle as the iPhone of the flip phone AR world if the rifle wouldn't be able to produce and if they weren't going to be able to produce.  Again, I think they're smart enough to know how much blowback they'll get if this goes south.  Look at the recent press releases for how they're moving to accommodate what the (vocal) public wants; additional calibers, a pistol caliber conversion, and a .22LR conversion.  

Ambitious?  Yes, certainly.  Doable?  Absolutely.

When you compare DT to Bushmaster and MSAR it's like comparing Mercedes to a Lada and a Yugo, respectively.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Funny how a rifle that hasn't even been released to the public is already creating "camp" mentality...LOL!  I hope it does make the market and that it's a big hit.  If it's released, and it appears to deliver on its promises, I bet I'll buy one...barring NASA moon launch prices.  I love bullpups.  I already have an RFB, AUG, and Tavor.  Did I mention I love bullpups?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I really don't see Desert Tech as having the same operating ethics as Bushmaster or MSAR.  They already have the barrel swap system pretty much perfected and it works in every SRS or HTI rifle they sell.  Also, DT isn't just some "new company", they've been around for quite a few years and have built up a respectable track record for quality and capability.  

If you want to start pointing fingers, point it at Magpul for being seduced by the jackals at Bushmaster.  Anyone who has watched the company for any amount of time knows they never fully or adequately support something they didn't develop.  It happened with the .308 that they brought out, it happened when they bought the company that offered long action (.300WM and larger) AR pattern rifles, and until recently, it happened with the Carbon 97.  As for MSAR, the blame for any ills experienced by the company can be laid at the feet of the owner.

I don't think Desert Tech would have participated in the hype around the MDR, invited certain industry insiders to test it, and generally present the rifle as the iPhone of the flip phone AR world if the rifle wouldn't be able to produce and if they weren't going to be able to produce.  Again, I think they're smart enough to know how much blowback they'll get if this goes south.  Look at the recent press releases for how they're moving to accommodate what the (vocal) public wants; additional calibers, a pistol caliber conversion, and a .22LR conversion.  

When you compare DT to Bushmaster and MSAR it's like comparing Mercedes to a Lada and a Yugo, respectively.
View Quote

Fair points, I think recent history with new stuff has left me and others pretty jaded.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fair points, I think recent history with new stuff has left me and others pretty jaded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just remember...Desert Tech isn't Bushmaster and has a track record for quality that Shrubmaster's directors would shiv their own mothers to have...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone heard anything recent on the ETA?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

This can't come soon enough now. I have an MDR sized whole in my gun room just waiting to be filled.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Dammit. Thanks for sharing.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top