Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2015 2:45:32 PM EDT
I have been going back and forth trying to decide to get an a1 or m1. My only issue with the a1 is I think it's probably a 223 ( I shoot mainly 556). What caliber is the a1?  Is it worth an extra 200 or 300 over an m1 ( the a1 will probably increase in value would be my guess)

Let me know what you guys think thanks

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you are over analyzing this.  I would be very surprised if you could not shoot 5.56 in an A1.  Especially since the A1 is going to be old and used, and probably has enough throat erosion to equal 5.56 anyway, even if it did start as .223 (Which I doubt).  

Rather, I'd use the fact that the M1 offers every advantage in appearance and function as the A1, with better functionality, coupled with lower price and likely better long-term parts availability, than the A1.  Unless you are a collect of exotic foreign 1970's military rifles (A fairly small club), there's no reason to get an A1 with it's outdated glass, over an M1 with modern glass and the ability to change out that integrated glass if something goes amiss.

So to answer your question, is an A1 worth 200 or 300 more over a new M1?  Hell No!  Is my answer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#2]
All AUGs are 5.56, period.

Your call on the A1 - while I wouldn't 'mind' having one, only you can decide if it's worth a premium over an A3 or A3 M1.  Note the A3 M1 price varies, depending on if purchased with a rail, or the 1.5x or 3x optic, so not sure which price of '200 or 300 over' you're going by.  Pete/Pjs has great pricing on the A3 or A3 M1.

The A1 may hold some small premium over current gen AUGs, but as a 'working gun' vs a pristine safe queen, personally I'd go with the M1 and shoot it, unless you really love the original optic.
If I had no AUG and was choosing today, I'd pick up an A3 M1.
Already having an AUG and 9mm conversion, my NEXT AUG will be an A3 M1, unless I get a great deal on another A3.  Sometime after that, if I come across an A1 at a good price, I may go for it, but YMMV/personal opinions vary, as always.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Agree with rtpguy.

I passed up an A1 AUG for $1700 (in probably good to very good condition). I had $1400 into my Sabre A3 (which I sold for $1800), and $1600 into a new (not Vltor-marked) A3 1:7. So $1200 in all told.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The only way I'd pay more for a used rifle that's going on 30 years old vs a new rifle (which has an actual warranty) is if I lived in a ban state that grandfathered the old one.

H
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

there's no reason to get an A1 with it's outdated glass, over an M1 with modern glass and the ability to change out that integrated glass if something goes amiss.

View Quote

Strongly disagree. The Swarovski glass is MUCH better.  I've compared the two side by side.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Strongly disagree. The Swarovski glass is MUCH better.  I've compared the two side by side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
there's no reason to get an A1 with it's outdated glass, over an M1 with modern glass and the ability to change out that integrated glass if something goes amiss.

This is just the sort of thing I was thinking about.  Is the m1 optic bad quality? Nothing worse then putting crappy glass on a quality rifle.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is just the sort of thing I was thinking about.  Is the m1 optic bad quality? Nothing worse then putting crappy glass on a quality rifle.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not compared the two side by side, so hobo's opinion should be given more weight.  

That said, the A1 scope is a 1.5X donut, whereas one of the more popular M1 options is with the 3X, which is a  donut with fine cross-hairs overly.  

While I like the 1.5X/donut concept for fast shooting at close range, I found over a few years that I pretty much never (ever) used my EOTech without the magnifier.  How I shoot my guns, I much prefer the optical advantage of the 3X with the precision advantage of a cross-hair, yet it's still relatively fast shooting with just 3X power, and snap shooting is still doable, with the donut.

As to glass quality, one risk with a 30 year old used rifle, is your glass and seals on your glass might not be in as good of shape as hobo's example was.  Though, if it were a US AUG, to be fair, that gun was probably babied for the last 30 years.  Which goes back to the point - if you want to buy a historically significant (not to very many) rifle, then you get to take on the added bonus of having to baby it, because it's not made any more.  If you get an M1, and it gets beat up, it's not so big a deal.  It opens up usage options.  Going to shoot at an event where the gun might get beat up?  Maybe 3 gun that involves grounding a rifle hard?  Maybe a muddy hunting event where you're dragging rifles in/out of a jeep (I can tell you that can beat up a rifle in a hurry)?  It's just mentally easier to take a replacable current production item, rather than something rare and historically significant.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:57:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd go M1 over A1 100% of the time since I'm not into collecting. The A1 is only worth more to collectors, not real shooters.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a USR.  It's an A2 that you can configure or just keep it in A1 configuration when you want the more traditional look.

Sometimes I like having rails, RDS optics and suppressors.  Other times, the light weight portability of the A1/A2 really makes the rifle what it is.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get a USR.  It's an A2 that you can configure or just keep it in A1 configuration when you want the more traditional look.

Sometimes I like having rails, RDS optics and suppressors.  Other times, the light weight portability of the A1/A2 really makes the rifle what it is.
View Quote

This, but an M1 does all that too - albeit with the slightly goofy-looking optic currently available.  Easier rail/optic swap on the A2/USR but I've heard complaints of them getting loose over time - guess I don't swap mine enough to be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]
From my arm chair I've only had one A1 that needed some gas port TLC after gazzillion million rounds. I've personally have not heard of any scope issues nor related internet chatter.  I've seen ads for european aftermarket scope makers that make A1 scope tubes. Not sure if that is still available. A1 can be updated with the little updates except  for the "do it all rail".

Go for the real deal Austrian home model, just have the cash ready and don.t be afraid to make an offer,  You can do very well if your patient. Gunbroker can be a good resource. Every now and then a Police model gets sold under value.  

The donut of death has worked well for these folks;           (from Wiki )

Djibouti[43]
Ecuador[31]
Gambia[31]
Hong Kong: A1 variant used by Special Duties Unit of the Hong Kong Police Force.[citation needed]
Hungary[citation needed]
Indonesia: Komando Pasukan Katak (Kopaska) tactical diver group and Komando Pasukan Khusus (Kopassus) special forces group.[44] Also used by Brigade Mobil special forces group of the Indonesian National Police, including Detasemen Khusus 88 counter-terrorist unit.[citation needed]
Ireland: Standard service rifle of the Irish Defence Forces. Army Ranger Wing special forces use Steyr AUG A2 and A3.[45][46][47]
Italy: Carabinieri special forces: Gruppo di Intervento Speciale and 1st "Tuscania" Regiment[48]
Kazakhstan: Used by SWAT teams.[49]
Luxembourg: Standard infantry rifle of the Luxembourg Army. The HBAR version is also employed as the section support weapon. The Unité Spéciale de la Police intervention unit of the Grand Ducal Police employs the AUG A2 variant.[51]
Malaysia: Made under license from Steyr by SME Ordnance.[52] Local production of the AUG rifle series started in 1991[53] with a joint production with Steyr that started in 2004.[54][55] Lawsuits from Steyr emerged when Malaysia decided to withdraw from joint production.[56]
Morocco[31][43]
Netherlands[1]
New Zealand: In service since 1988. The first 5,000 weapons delivered were manufactured in Austria by Steyr Daimler Puch. The majority of weapons now in service are the Australian ADI-made Austeyr F88 variant. It is called the IW Steyr (Individual Weapon Steyr) in service of the New Zealand Defence Force.[57] The Defence Force is currently (2014) seeking a replacement for the Steyr AUG after concerns about its performance in Afghanistan.[58]
Oman[31][47]
Pakistan: Used by Special Services Group,[59][60] Special Services Group Navy, Frontier Constabulary,[61][62] and Airport Security Force (ASF).[63]
Papua New Guinea: F88 variant.[31]
Philippines: Used by the Scout Rangers.[64]
Poland: JW Grom special forces group.[65][66]
Saudi Arabia[43][47]
Serbia: 72nd Reconnaissance-Commando Battalion.[42]
Republic of China[31]
Thailand: Used by special forces.
Tunisia[31][47] AUG was chosen since 1978 to be the Primary weapon of the Tunisian Army, The first regular unit to be issued with the AUG A1 was the GTS, later on, the leadership started to arming the National Guard with Sturmgewehr 58 (FN FAL) and the Army with the AUG A1/A2/A3 variants, including the Army's Special Forces.
Turkey: Maroon Berets and Police Special Operations Department.[67]
United Kingdom
Falkland Islands: Falkland Islands Defence Force.[68]
United States: U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.[69]
Uruguay: Received 7,000 Steyr AUG A2UR rifles (with the A1 model sight and Picatinny rail) to be used by the Uruguayan infantry battalions.[70]
Venezuela: Used by SEBIN.[71][72]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#12]
What is an A1 worth now a days?   Saw a green one at a pawn shop for $1525.   Condition is 90%.   If it had been closer to excellent, I would have bought it on the stop.   Or if I didn't already have an A3.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What is an A1 worth now a days?   Saw a green one at a pawn shop for $1525.   Condition is 90%.   If it had been closer to excellent, I would have bought it on the stop.   Or if I didn't already have an A3.
View Quote

I found a nice police gun for $1900 about a year ago.   Perhaps you could negotiate the price of that green gun down a bit.  You are on the right track in my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top