BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still, I wish I could purchase this pack from Ratworx as I enjoy dealing with them.
View Quote

Try calling them - see if they can install an HTM if you provide the hammer pack.  That's what I did originally - and I provided A3 hammer packs FTW!    Worked out to about the same price as the "new" offering and I got to keep the hammer pack guts as spares....
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Try calling them - see if they can install an HTM if you provide the hammer pack.  That's what I did originally - and I provided A3 hammer packs FTW!    Worked out to about the same price as the "new" offering and I got to keep the hammer pack guts as spares....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still, I wish I could purchase this pack from Ratworx as I enjoy dealing with them.

I did.  They wouldn't do it.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess ratworx doesn't want to upset the steyrs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess ratworx doesn't want to upset the steyrs.

Well to be fair, if they sold out of the HTM-branded modules they may just not have any to sell.  I did this a couple years ago when there were HTM modules and no available bare hammer pack frames....
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, I'm thoroughly confused about trigger upgrades for my new STEYR AUG A3.

The Neu Trigger
The Trigger Tamer
The Ratworx 2020 sear

Then I see there is a $400 Steyr AUG PRECISION TRIGGER pack which simply replaces the stock trigger pack, but apparently is also made by Ratworx.

Can anyone help me understand what each one offers and does?

I'm most interested in bringing the trigger weight down to something more comparable to a mil spec AR.
Thanks

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Neu Trigger
The Trigger Tamer
The Ratworx 2020 sear

Then I see there is a $400 Steyr AUG PRECISION TRIGGER pack which simply replaces the stock trigger pack, but apparently is also made by Ratworx.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Neu Trigger
The Trigger Tamer
The Ratworx 2020 sear

Neu Trigger - adds a polished stainless steel surface to the OEM sear, which reduces friction a fair amount, lightening the trigger, lessening the 'stacking' and provides a cleaner trigger break, same trigger break and reset behavior as OEM.  Nice for an 'instant' improvement for $30.
Trigger Tamer - not sure if this has been discontinued or not, but basically reduces the combined spring force applied to the pack, which lightens the felt trigger tension.  Same OEM break and reset lengths/behavior.  
2020 Precision sear, sold by Ratworx - removes the full auto 'extended travel' which exists in the semi-auto packs, effectively reducing the break and reset distances significantly.  As a side effect of the coated, aluminum replacement sear, also reduces friction slightly vs an OEM trigger pack.
'Steyr precision trigger' - also created by 2020 Precision, originally called the Hybrid Trigger Mod, or HTM.  Guts the OEM trigger pack and replaces it with basically an AR trigger.  Approx 5-6# trigger pull, I believe can swap out for other AR trigger components, cleaner and shorter break and reset vs OEM trigger.  Only downside is in the current incarnation, it's done with an earlier trigger pack, without the stock bolt release piece, so you'll have to release the bolt via charging handle only, or use your A3 pack to put the HTM guts into.
Quoted:
I'm most interested in bringing the trigger weight down to something more comparable to a mil spec AR.
Thanks

In an ideal world, you'd find someone w/each setup and try each.  I didn't notice a huge difference (from memory) in 3 gun scores between the Neu-Trigger, 2020 sear, and HTM, but the latter two 'felt' the best, IMO, including for typical double-tap head shots, etc.
Short of that, get the HTM/'Steyr' pack if you really want an AR 'feel' trigger, although I wouldn't say the 2020 sear is a real 'downgrade' in comparison in real use.  At this point, I can't really say which I prefer...may need to wait for me to pick up another hammer pack and a second AUG to do some back to back time between the two.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, that was incredibly helpful, thanks so much.

The last mystery is how STEYR describes the HTM/Precision pack.

They state:
This trigger pack fits the STEYR AUG MODELS A3, A3 M1, A2 and A1( EXCEPT NATO VERSION).

Now, does this mean it will not work with the A1 NATO version?

Or does it mean it will not work in any NATO version of the A3, A3 M1, A2 and A1?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you read the thread I linked on the first page of this one?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Now, does this mean it will not work with the A1 NATO version?
Or does it mean it will not work in any NATO version of the A3, A3 M1, A2 and A1?
View Quote

It means you'll have to swap a NATO Bolt Hold Open into the pack to use it with ANY NATO AUG.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ummm, you know it's just a swap of the BHO right?  Same hammer pack, $20-ish part and shazaam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No NATO-compatible trigger pack. Don't feel as bad for going to the 2020 TSM now.

Ummm, you know it's just a swap of the BHO right?  Same hammer pack, $20-ish part and shazaam.

I wasn't aware that you could actually buy trigger pack parts - can you/from whom?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wasn't aware that you could actually buy trigger pack parts - can you/from whom?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No NATO-compatible trigger pack. Don't feel as bad for going to the 2020 TSM now.

You can buy anything with money.
That particular NATO stock elongated bolt hold open piece is sold by Pete.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
While I don't disagree conceptually, we don't exactly have a lot of data to go off....  One problem report and the mfg says "Don't use it"?  Hard to know if that's a "Gee, we analyzed this and decided it's not going to work!" or just "Gee, we don't know why this guy's having problems, so let's just tell him not to do that."

So far it seems like a sample size of 2, with 1 failing and 1 not failing.

FWIW, next opportunity I'll take all 3 of my HTM packs out to the range and try them in the 9mm to see if we can get the sample size up.

ETA: this is using the 9mm stock in 9mm mode.  I honestly don't recall if I snugged the trigger rods up against the hammer pack or not.  I know one of my stocks came with 1/8" or so of slop in the trigger rods, but I don't remember which one.  It was no big deal, but I suppose if someone instead had 1/8" of overrun such that the relaxed trigger had pressure on the pack/sear that could be a *BIG* problem....though also easily fixed.
View Quote

Did you make it out to the range and get some more time in on them?
I'm using the HTM for 9mm and .223/5.56, just using the 5.56 stock for both.  (I sometimes use the Steyr brass catcher, which doesn't work with the 9mm stock, and easier to keep one 'complete' rifle + conversion parts in my pack vs + second not-needed stock).

I did adjust my trigger bows when I first got the HTM...since then, I've probably got 500-1K 9mm through the conversion with the HTM...had a single issue to date with the HTM, otherwise flawless.  I had one instance in a match where the 9mm HTM didn't reset the trigger fully..tap/rack/bang and finished the stage and the rest of them, and another few matches since w/out issues.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At this point, I can't really say which I prefer...may need to wait for me to pick up another hammer pack and a second AUG to do some back to back time between the two.

View Quote

I recently had four HTM hammerpacks. Sold them and now I'm down to one, the original HTM hammerpack I had. Roger at 2020 did me a huge favor and modified an ALG ACT trigger that works extremely well in the HTM. It brought the measured pull down to a slick 3.75#.

From my experience, the 2020 TSM is better for me than the HTM. The HTM with ALG parts I have is a very nice hammerpack but I really don't like the way it feels compared to the TSM.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10-4, thanks.  

One of these days I'll pick up a second AUG, probably an A3 M1, and if going new from Pete, was thinking to get a green stock, maybe NATO, maybe not...leave one set up for 9mm full-time and the other in 5.56.
I'd run the HTM in one, and the 2020 sear in the other for some back and forth for giggles, as I just can't tell a definitive speed or accuracy difference between the two, while either has some minor improvement at distance shots vs OEM, and better follow-up shots, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did you make it out to the range and get some more time in on them?
View Quote

No I was actually out today with them but helping a noob took all the time and the 9mm AUG stayed in the case  I will try again soon...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I recently had four HTM hammerpacks. Sold them and now I'm down to one, the original HTM hammerpack I had. Roger at 2020 did me a huge favor and modified an ALG ACT trigger that works extremely well in the HTM. It brought the measured pull down to a slick 3.75#.

From my experience, the 2020 TSM is better for me than the HTM. The HTM with ALG parts I have is a very nice hammerpack but I really don't like the way it feels compared to the TSM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At this point, I can't really say which I prefer...may need to wait for me to pick up another hammer pack and a second AUG to do some back to back time between the two.

You've got the advantage of swapping between both in a single session with multiple AUGs, which is exactly why I want to eventually do the same.  I may try just bringing both packs and swapping them out in the same stock and configuration and doing some timed drills or similar next time at the range.  For me, either is a good improvement.

I'm guessing you prefer the shorter reset on the TSM?

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Today I installed the factory Steyr Precision Trigger Pack into an A3M1. I find it a very worthwhile upgrade from the OEM trigger pack that came with the A3M1: take up is short and smooth, trigger brakes cleanly at a measured 4.5 lbs, and reset is also very short allowing quick follow up shots. I am willing to give up the bolt release for this type of performance.

The Precision Trigger pack is not inexpensive, listing for $389 plus shipping. However, Geiselle Super Scar triggers are not priced significantly less.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Today I installed the factory Steyr Precision Trigger Pack into an A3M1. I find it a very worthwhile upgrade from the OEM trigger pack that came with the A3M1: take up is short and smooth, trigger brakes cleanly at a measured 4.5 lbs, and reset is also very short allowing quick follow up shots. I am willing to give up the bolt release for this type of performance.

The Precision Trigger pack is not inexpensive, listing for $389 plus shipping. However, Geiselle Super Scar triggers are not priced significantly less.

View Quote

I did a five-minute Dremel job on an A3 pack tonight to mill down the two ribs in the bottom of the housing that prevents the HTM from working. Now the HTM fits perfectly inside the A3 trigger housing. If you pull the HTM guts out of the A1 trigger housing and compare it to an A3 housing, you can see exactly how much of the ribs you will need to remove. After I was done, I put the guts from the A3 pack in the A1 HTM housing, and it appears that it will still work, although it's probably never going to go back in any of my AUGs.

I used one of the flat-ended cylindrical steel cutters on the Dremel on a fairly high speed, carefully working the material away until it was flush. It's good to have a razor blade to cut off the plastic residue that melts and builds up on the edge of the rib. But like I said, it was a 5-minute job.

Edit: I also noticed that whoever milled the A1 pack for the HTM had removed a bit of the rounded cove area where the bottom rib meets the higher level. I did the same thing just to make sure it would fit in the A3 pack like it did in the A1 pack. I wish I would have taken photos, but it's the slightly coved area between the bottom surface with the serial number and the upper platform with the other rib that you need to mill back. You'll know what I am trying to explain when you see it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe the odd man out here, but I don't have any difficulty at all with the stock trigger on my A3.  

I had a huge problem with the Tavor trigger though.  That had to get replaced with a Geissele.

But the AUG's stock trigger for me is....   Just fine.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe the odd man out here, but I don't have any difficulty at all with the stock trigger on my A3.  

I had a huge problem with the Tavor trigger though.  That had to get replaced with a Geissele.

But the AUG's stock trigger for me is....   Just fine.  

View Quote

Preference and personal assessment is just that...personal.  But just so a potential AUG and/or Tavor customer will be sure to give real consideration to the OEM trigger in these two rifles, please know most shooters consider the triggers on these two rifles to be "bad"...and probably most of those actually consider them horrendous.  I'm no trigger action snob.  Just last week some of my bolt rifle buddies demeaned me for saying how nice the trigger was in a friend's Ruger American Rifle.  Have you tried that rifle's trigger?...pretty damned nice for a low priced, off-the-shelf rifle.  So I'm not that finicky.  Anyone considering buying a Tavor or AUG should find one and dry fire it.  Now...there are some fixes for both rifles, so it shouldn't keep one from buying either rifle just as long as one realizes they can live with the stock triggers...or not.  These are expensive rifles.  It's good to know ahead of time that you can live with the stock trigger or know you'll need to pony up some more bucks for an upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Sure, the entire thread is about personal assessment.  Mine is that the stock AUG trigger is acceptable and the tav's is not.  

Everyone who buys either gun still has the opportunity to try the stock trigger first.  

I agree that trying one out is by far the best way to assess.   I bought the AUG after dry firing it.  Owning a tav and an FS2000 The AUG was far better than I had imagined it.   Best of the three as far as factory stock trigger goes.  

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

While I don't disagree conceptually, we don't exactly have a lot of data to go off....  One problem report and the mfg says "Don't use it"?  Hard to know if that's a "Gee, we analyzed this and decided it's not going to work!" or just "Gee, we don't know why this guy's having problems, so let's just tell him not to do that."

FWIW, next opportunity I'll take all 3 of my HTM packs out to the range and try them in the 9mm to see if we can get the sample size up.

@Pburkott: What ammunition were you using?  Did you try different types?  I think I only ran UMC green box in mine because that's what I've had the most of most recently.

ETA: this is using the 9mm stock in 9mm mode.  I honestly don't recall if I snugged the trigger rods up against the hammer pack or not.  I know one of my stocks came with 1/8" or so of slop in the trigger rods, but I don't remember which one.  It was no big deal, but I suppose if someone instead had 1/8" of overrun such that the relaxed trigger had pressure on the pack/sear that could be a *BIG* problem....though also easily fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not exactly confidence inspiring about the trigger pack.  

@Pburkott: What ammunition were you using?  Did you try different types?  I think I only ran UMC green box in mine because that's what I've had the most of most recently.

Ok, I owe Purkott an apology!

Took all 3 packs to the range today - 2 Ratworx-sold-and-installed HTM packs in A3 donor packs, 1 Steyr-sold HTM-type module in A2 pack.

Started with the HTM pack I've used since Day 1 in my 9mm - ran 50 rounds flawlessly.  Swapped to the HTM pack I've used flawlessly for 1000s of rounds in my .223 - had doubling within the first magazine.  Swapped to the new AUG "precision" pack - same results, doubling within the first magazine.  Swapped back to the "good' pack and put another 100rds through flawlessly.  Proving once again the old adage that it's "Better to be lucky than good" :(  Apparently I got lucky in the pack I purchased to use in my 9mm gun.

So if I've added up the reports in this thread correctly (going from memory) we now have 3 failing and 3 working in 9mm, so I concur - the pack as-is should not be purchased solely for use in a 9mm AUG.

Talked it over briefly with my 'smith - he also suspects hammer-follow, and suggested one could use something like a Jard adjustable trigger and probably set the disconnector engagement to solve the problem.  I likely will NOT experiment with this as I happen to have a 1:1 ratio of "9mm packs" to "9mm AUGs" but I toss it out there for the hive-mind.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#23]
So, the Steyr AUG precision trigger pack doubles on the 9mm kit but works correctly with the 5.56/.223 configuration?

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Took all 3 packs to the range today - 2 Ratworx-sold-and-installed HTM packs in A3 donor packs, 1 Steyr-sold HTM-type module in A2 pack.

Started with the HTM pack I've used since Day 1 in my 9mm - ran 50 rounds flawlessly.  Swapped to the HTM pack I've used flawlessly for 1000s of rounds in my .223 - had doubling within the first magazine.  Swapped to the new AUG "precision" pack - same results, doubling within the first magazine.  Swapped back to the "good' pack and put another 100rds through flawlessly.  Proving once again the old adage that it's "Better to be lucky than good" :(  Apparently I got lucky in the pack I purchased to use in my 9mm gun.

So if I've added up the reports in this thread correctly (going from memory) we now have 3 failing and 3 working in 9mm, so I concur - the pack as-is should not be purchased solely for use in a 9mm AUG.

Talked it over briefly with my 'smith - he also suspects hammer-follow, and suggested one could use something like a Jard adjustable trigger and probably set the disconnector engagement to solve the problem.  I likely will NOT experiment with this as I happen to have a 1:1 ratio of "9mm packs" to "9mm AUGs" but I toss it out there for the hive-mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not exactly confidence inspiring about the trigger pack.  

Interesting - aside from a single instance of 'dead trigger' (trigger failed to reset), I've got a good # of rounds through mine in 9mm with the HTM/Steyr Precision w/out issue.
I'm planning on swapping the guts into an A3 pack shortly, to get back the bolt release.

Has 2020 weighed in at all on this issue?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#25]
These packs are now gone from the Steyr website. Any plans to have these back?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Let me guess someone called steyr to complain about doubling 9mm with trigger pack.
Now trigger pack removed totally from Steyr's website. Great
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Let me guess someone called steyr to complain about doubling 9mm with trigger pack.
Now trigger pack removed totally from Steyr's website. Great
View Quote

Possible, but likely that supply was exhausted - I seem to recall "limited run" or somesuch language there originally.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#28]
They probably just sold out. There were only about a hundred.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Seems like a person good with machining could mill the channel in and replace the BHO with an A3 BHO if one really wanted to...
View Quote

Even Wiley E. Coyote could do it....
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/451453_A2_to_A3_hammer_pack_conversion.html
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top