Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2015 12:34:03 AM EDT
Posted the link here in the Firearms deal alert forum.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_180/1745288_Steyr_AUG___Factory_42_round_mags_for__15.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Good find, I ordered a couple.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Hit!
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one even though I do not need any more magazines

Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up lazyengineer, although my CC says otherwise!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine too. Like I really needed 10 more mags..
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone wonder why they are dumping them now? Maybe Magpul is about to drop theirs?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Could be pmags coming soon.  Could also be bossman wanting to make room in warehouse for more products with higher turnover.  If they snagged these up from rsr last year, even at $15 they can make 100% in them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey look at that, they bumped it up a buck today. Still a deal, but it was $14.99 yesterday.  Glad I picked up a few yesterday!

I don't really need them, but at that price, might as well just store them somewhere separate, in case there's a theft/fire/boat accident...

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could be pmags coming soon.  Could also be bossman wanting to make room in warehouse for more products with higher turnover.  If they snagged these up from rsr last year, even at $15 they can make 100% in them.
View Quote

Supposedly there is rumor the PMags are coming out "soon" (heh).  But those are 30's, so you'd think vendors would be dumping the Austrian 30's in anticipation.  Funny thing about the 42's, in an AR platform, the 40's are a bit long and cumbersome. But in an AUG, they aren't.  The mag is tucked under your shoulder, and the 42 pretty much just as practical and handy as a 30.  A little extra weight, when fully loaded I guess.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Funny cause I ordered 10 today at $14.99 and it said they had 80 left not +100.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Funny cause I ordered 10 today at $14.99 and it said they had 80 left not +100.
View Quote

That is so weird.  It's listing as 100+ available, $15.99 right now.  

When these dry up, nominal retail is going to be a lot closer to $50 a crack for a 42 rounder.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#12]
They'll probably be out tomorrow by the time I get functioning but I'm okay on 42s.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up 10 and I don't even have an AUG.... Yet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View Quote

I would trust an AUG mag over a PMAG any day of the week
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I just went ahead and ordered and ordered ten for the stash. I started to edit to get another ten but I would have had to start completely over so I figured it was a sign to leave some for everyone else.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just went ahead and ordered and ordered ten for the stash. I started to edit to get another ten but I would have had to start completely over so I figured it was a sign to leave some for everyone else.
View Quote

Forrest

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
they keep tweaking their sale.  It's still $16/mag (as of a few days ago), but now, if you buy >10, you save 50 cents a mag.  10 mags is a lot of mags.  If you buy 100 then it's back down to their price earlier this week, of $15.  I have to ask, anyone getting that $1 discount??

Which probably gives insight though into why they are dumping them. If they hey are selling them by the hundred, I'm guessing it's time to move some inventory and clear up some floor space!  They're still making close to like, 50% markup even at $15.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#18]
100 mags isn't that many...
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#19]
283 available as of this post
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Not as good as last year's $6.32 price from Cheaper Than Dirt, of all places!

Mick
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I would like to see some pmags....    at this point, buying more plastic mags from the same mfg which were likely made in the same time frame just means they will age and crack at about the same time.

I also think you will see a transition to the STANAG platform if the Augs continue to be sold so there won't be much upside from hoarding mags in case of a ban.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#22]

I could say the same about Pmags.  

Or do you really think that the current AUG mags were nade in 1977?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would like to see some pmags....    at this point, buying more plastic mags from the same mfg which were likely made in the same time frame just means they will age and crack at about the same time.

I also think you will see a transition to the STANAG platform if the Augs continue to be sold so there won't be much upside from hoarding mags in case of a ban.
View Quote

Man me too - I've been waiting for those PMAGs for a long time now!  

As to the second part - I'm not aware of any AUG mags failing.  We have members using them since the 80's, with no issues reported.  I'm not so sure about there being a transition of AUG to STANAG stocks.  I sure hope not, it's a lesser stock (trigger and bolt release) designed to use a lesser mag (STANAG mags have weaker/thinner feed lips,and don't have constant curve).
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not as good as last year's $6.32 price from Cheaper Than Dirt, of all places!

Mick
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#25]
well I already have more mags than I could possibly ever wear out and I realize the ones being sold today aren't mfg in the 70s.   However, having lived in AZ and TX most of my life, I have seen plenty of plastic age out and crumble in all sorts of uses.  Some exposed to UV light and some not.

at this point the only reason to buy more is to hoard them for potential resale in a ban.   I think one reason Augs haven't been very popular is the proprietary magazines.    Before magpul you could say the Aug design was much better than STANAG, now the gap has been closed considerably.

also consider given the current cost of mags in the US, each AUG owner must have 20x plus mags for his gun, this isn't looking favorable regarding their future value in case of a ban.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
well I already have more mags than I could possibly ever wear out and I realize the ones being sold today aren't mfg in the 70s.   However, having lived in AZ and TX most of my life, I have seen plenty of plastic age out and crumble in all sorts of uses.  Some exposed to UV light and some not.

at this point the only reason to buy more is to hoard them for potential resale in a ban.   I think one reason Augs haven't been very popular is the proprietary magazines.    Before magpul you could say the Aug design was much better than STANAG, now the gap has been closed considerably.

also consider given the current cost of mags in the US, each AUG owner must have 20x plus mags for his gun, this isn't looking favorable regarding their future value in case of a ban.
View Quote

Funny thing about a ban.  20 becomes none.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm guessing this is just random thoughts being put forth as 'facts' - why would the AUG NOT continue to be sold in the US?
Steyr has had decades to 'transition to STANAG' and has chosen not to.  
While I'm perpetually amazed that they haven't bothered to update their NATO stock...ever...(except possibly for the not-available version Maleante posted a pic of not too long ago), it seems they've decided long ago that the consumer market for AUGs is of little value to them, they are happy with the marketshare they have today, or some other reason (used to think it might be mag sales/$, but that wouldn't be valid 'right now' anyways) has them uninterested in refining their NATO stock - which yes, I also believe would lead to higher consumer sales if they ever did, but I'm not Steyr's CEO...
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm guessing this is just random thoughts being put forth as 'facts' - why would the AUG NOT continue to be sold in the US?
While I'm perpetually amazed that they haven't bothered to update their NATO stock...ever...(except possibly for the not-available version Maleante posted a pic of not too long ago), it seems they've decided long ago that the consumer market for AUGs is of little value to them, they are happy with the marketshare they have today, or some other reason (used to think it might be mag sales/$, but that wouldn't be valid 'right now' anyways) has them uninterested in refining their NATO stock - which yes, I also believe would lead to higher consumer sales if they ever did, but I'm not Steyr's CEO...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said "think", not that I have a red hot phone to the CEO of Steyr and we talk shop every other Sunday at the country club...

Steyr has flip flopped with US sales for as long as I can remember.  The interest in TAVORs seems to be 10x that of Augs.   I wouldn't be surprised at anything Steyr did from redesigning a new STANAG compatible stock to just leaving the market entirely.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#29]

….. help me out, I'm confused.  The factory AUG mags are awesome.  I am fond of PMAG's, but I do not understand why people would prefer a PMAG over the factory Austrian mags?
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sooooo…. what is the shelf life in a Steyr magazine?  

How do you come to the conclusion that Steyr mags all came from the same mfg, during the same time frame?  Looking throughout my stash of AUG mags, I can EASILY separate them into four different groups, in regard to manufacture markings and minor design differences.  Some were purchased second hand, some came with a new Sabre Defense A3, some came with a recent production VLTOR A3.  

I wouldn't want a STANAG AUG.  Seems silly, and counters the design of the rifle.  It isn't broke.  Maybe SIG should redesign their P220 to accept 1911 mags?  
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#31]
The ones I got 44Mag look just like the other 42 rounders that I have:
made in 2012, has that part number on the side (oddly no decimal points in the string like my 30 rounders), has a KK mark in a shield and seems to be a little more glossy of an exterior than the 30 rounders.

Would anyone know what mags I should be looking for that will crack, split, etc.?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Because I have bought all my mags since the ban panic from either manventure or 44mag and they are all from the giant lot RSR purchased when they cleaned out Steyr USA of all mags in an attempt to corner the Aug market if a ban took place.

I would guess the ones on the market now are all probably from the same lot.   I heard the lot was approx. 44k mags.   Given Aug could only sell 2k Sabre Augs and most of the Augs before than are now safe queens, you are talking about an immense surplus as I doubt they have sold more than several thousand Augs since production has restarted with the VLTOR receivers.

Never said PMAGs were better, but once PMAGs came out, STANAG mags got a lot better to the point where the difference between Aug mags and STANAG mags are close enough in function that 99% of people don't care anymore.

Also the majority of gun buyers see an Aug on the wall of the LGS and the LGS has Aug mags for $45 apiece.   They then look at the Tavor and see it takes STANAG mags which means they can already use their existing mag pile for another gun.

Trust me, I own plenty of guns with weird ass mags, I know the fine details of AR-180 and M11 mags. However, alot of people only want to stock a few mag types, like Glock and STANAG.

More importantly if a mag ban ever takes place and you can still buy rifles, nearly all or all new Augs produced from that point onward will take STANAG mags assuming Steyr is still in the market.   There will be little to no upside in hoarding Aug mags.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks to the OP.  Grabbed a handful of mags.  Some 42s and some nice green 30s!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:32:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I said "think", not that I have a red hot phone to the CEO of Steyr and we talk shop every other Sunday at the country club...

Steyr has flip flopped with US sales for as long as I can remember.  The interest in TAVORs seems to be 10x that of Augs.   I wouldn't be surprised at anything Steyr did from redesigning a new STANAG compatible stock to just leaving the market entirely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This has not always been Steyrs fault given the political issues/import bans that have forced Steyr a few times since it was first imported - to bite the bullet.
My numbers are sketchy and if PJ reads this he will def know but IWI-US has distributed/solld  as many
Tavors in its first year...what it has taken Steyr to do in about 3 decades of either being imported or being produced domestically.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Just checked the site again, looks like they dropped it back down to 14.99 for the 42 rounders again.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I guess they're not happy with the movement. Or lack thereof.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I got 25 mags now...that's a nice number..or should it go to 30?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Does anyone wonder why they are dumping them now? Maybe Magpul is about to drop theirs?
View Quote

Good possibility, they show this pic on their website...

They are currently out of stock at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://www.44mag.com/images/uploads/mag575_600.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's been up for almost half a year now.  Though, I am interested.  The MagPul construction is certainly later generation, and should be tougher than the already tough (thick) Steyr mags.  Supposedly some folks have reported an AUG mag can jump a round upon over-aggressive insertion (Though I'm curious if anyone has ever had that happen with an Austrian mag).  And I would hope if that were true, then MagPul incorporated something in their design to decrease that.

Truth be told though, I kind of like the cooler waffle look of the Steyr mag, and the ability to direct see the round count, rather than the limited Magpul window.  That, and Magpul isn't making a 42.  Well... they aren't making a 30 either, at the rate this has been going.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's been up for almost half a year now.  Though, I am interested.  The MagPul construction is certainly later generation, and should be tougher than the already tough (thick) Steyr mags.  Supposedly some folks have reported an AUG mag can jump a round upon over-aggressive insertion (Though I'm curious if anyone has ever had that happen with an Austrian mag).  And I would hope if that were true, then MagPul incorporated something in their design to decrease that.

Truth be told though, I kind of like the cooler waffle look of the Steyr mag, and the ability to direct see the round count, rather than the limited Magpul window.  That, and Magpul isn't making a 42.  Well... they aren't making a 30 either, at the rate this has been going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree on all points. Why buy the Magpul one when the original Steyr is plentiful, cheap (relatively) and already the (arguably) best polymer mag on the planet? Plus, as noted, it looks cooler.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't know when is enough really enough. I have 20 of them now....

really thinking if it goes down to go to hell and get 20 more.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Won't ever buy a magpul Aug mag for one reason. They look too damn similar to my m4 mags, and in a rush or in the dark I'll grab the wrong mag. The waffle Aug mags look great, are cheap, and are damn easy to identify as hey I'm an Aug. I already ran into this issue with the g36 magpul mags. No more of that shit again.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I agree on all points. Why buy the Magpul one when the original Steyr is plentiful, cheap (relatively) and already the (arguably) best polymer mag on the planet? Plus, as noted, it looks cooler.
View Quote

Well two come to mind - assuming Magpul produces different capacities eventually:
1) 20rd mags (e.g. old MSAR STG) protrude less for much easier bench shooting
2) lower capacity mags for freedom-restricted states
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heard of this on Austrian and Australian AUGs. Neither of the guys liked the AUG for trigger and reliability reasons. The Austrian much preferred other weapons, including the L85 and STG58.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Heard of this on Austrian and Australian AUGs. Neither of the guys liked the AUG for trigger and reliability reasons. The Austrian much preferred other weapons, including the L85 and STG58.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had some rounds pop out of my MSAR mags during firing. This started after I installed a buffer for the bolt carrier. I guess the buffer induced some additional shock or movement or bounce to pop rounds. Incidentally this was an issue with the bigger mags like 30 and 42 rounders.

It made me wonder if the Steyr mags would be better, provided they can be modded to work in the MSAR.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have a source backing this up?
I've seen posts in various places around the net from former Austrian and Australian soldiers giving the AUG thumbs up, and 'reliability' has never been brought up as an issue the AUG has that I've seen.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:37:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Nobody talks about it much including Austrians.

They dealt with it and that was it.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#48]
So today I jacked a full 30 and a full 42 into the magwell as hard and fast and as hard as I could without trying to break something.  Nothing jumped out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:30:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So today I jacked a full 30 and a full 42 into the magwell as hard and fast and as hard as I could without trying to break something.  Nothing jumped out.
View Quote

iirc, a round has to be under the right feed lip for it to happen as well as having the date code on a certain side of the mag (not sure if it was right or left)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top