Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2015 2:00:48 AM EDT
I am wanting a new pup.

I have always wanted a PS90 and the ammo is easy to find and more reasonable than years back.
I love the small light size of it with a 50 round mag seems cool.

However the thought of a 9mm pup, suppressed with subsonic rounds just sounds like fun.
I know the Tavor cost a little more up front but ammo is cheaper, especially for subs,
The Tavor is definately heavier and has a long mag sticking out the bottom  compared to the lighter more streamline look of the PS90.
Optics options seem a lot more flexible on the Tavor.

Any way,  what do others think?
Which is the better system?
Which is more fun to shot?
Anyone shot either one suppressed?  Thoughts on either suppressed?
Would love to hear from people who have shot both.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If your willing to SBR I would go with the PS90 or one of the new POF MP5 clones

Otherwise the Tavor is the ticket

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an SBR'd PS90 and a Tavor in 5.56, I love both firearms, but the PS90 is really a joy to shoot. I have a low profile sight rail on it with a microdot sitting on top, the gun is so much fun to shoot steel with!

Ammo is pretty reasonable these days, I can get 50 round boxes of American Eagle for less than 20 a box somewhat regularly...

Both are solid options, but I'm having a lot of fun with my PS90. I've never shot a 9mm Tavor so I can't comment on that specifically.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish they made a PS90 in 9mm. Would not replace my Tavor in 556 but might satisfy my desire for MP5.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Think about it this way.  Where are you going to get your ammo when none is available?  Not much 5.7 out there.  The 9mm can be found about anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Is there any quality, defensive ammunition available for the PS90 to civilians?

I vaguely recall looking into one years ago, and I seem to remember not finding much I could get my hands on other than "plinking" type rounds.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that, it just turned me off at the time.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a PS90 and really liked it until ammo & mags became hard to get and expensive when I could find it. I sold it & do miss it, but probably wouldn't buy another as ammo & mags will probably become hard to find again.  

I have a TAVOR and it's a lot of fun, but it's in 556.  I thought about getting the 9mm conversion for it, but for a little more then the cost for the conversion kit I picked up a CZ Scorpion and it does what I wanted the TAVOR 9mm to do.  OK, I know it's not a Bullpup, but it's a fun weapon to shoot anyway.   It will be an SBR as soon as my Form 1 gets approved.

To answer your question, if it's either the PS90 or TAVOR, long run the TAVOR will be cheaper to run, so I'd go that way.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
9mm over the 5.7 unless penetration is your sole intent.
I had the hots for a PS90 until I had a chance to get some trigger time with one, I like the platform but the 5.7 is the biggest let down in a caliber I have ever fired.
I fired a little over 500 rounds of mixed ammo and the more I fired it the more I disliked it.

When ammo is hard to come by all the non-mainstream calibers dry up first including reloading components so shop accordingly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know why you guys are having so much trouble finding ammo for the PS90. Ever since American Eagle started making it the price has been dropping and I can find the stuff everywhere. Heck, I just bought a bunch from palmetto state armory at 18 dollars a box.

As far as defensive rounds, I would think the Hornady V-Max bullet in the SS197 round would get the job done. Especially when I have 50 of them ready to go!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you to everyone who has made comments.
My main purpose is just something for fun.  I think i am leaning towards the PS90,  well maybe more than leaning
I might have just purchased a take off black reticle ring sight with a Rem T3B already attached.
Hopefully i didn't pay too much for it.
Once it get the sight in my hand i will probably go a head and order an PS90 after i research the lowest price i can find online.
I still want a Tavor 9mm but it will have to wait a while i think.
I might also have snagged a white reticle sight with a Rem T3 attached for a great buy too.
I will have to play with both myself to see which is best, although most of the reviews i have read greatly favor the black reticle over the white.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My main purpose is just something for fun.  I think i am leaning towards the PS90,  well maybe more than leaning
I might have just purchased a take off black reticle ring sight with a Rem T3B already attached.
Once it get the sight in my hand i will probably go a head and order an PS90 after i research the lowest price i can find online.
I might also have snagged a white reticle sight with a Rem T3 attached for a great buy too.
I will have to play with both myself to see which is best, although most of the reviews i have read greatly favor the black reticle over the white.

View Quote

The PS90 is a poorly understood platform.  Ammo concerns are a non-issue.  Most ammo is available at your local gander mtn or cabelas, cheaper through mail order.  It has the same muzzle energy as the 9mm but much lighter.  I can carry twice as many 50rd boxes in a volume that is 80% smaller.  That goes a long way for a SHTF grab bag.  Portability, weight, and round effectivity makes the PS90 a no brainer for me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I would go with the Tavor 9mm.  I think it is a better platform over the PS90, but here are some ballistic results that may help:

PS90 16"

SS197SR round-  
40gr   2100fps   392ft/lbs

AE5728A round-
40gr   2050fps   373ft/lbs

Tavor 16"

Speer GD +P round-  
124gr   1354fps   505ft/lbs

CorBon +P round-  
90gr   1751fps   613ft/lbs
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The PS90 is a poorly understood platform.  Ammo concerns are a non-issue.  Most ammo is available at your local gander mtn or cabelas, cheaper through mail order.  It has the same muzzle energy as the 9mm but much lighter.  I can carry twice as many 50rd boxes in a volume that is 80% smaller.  That goes a long way for a SHTF grab bag.  Portability, weight, and round effectivity makes the PS90 a no brainer for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Exactly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly

I need to respectfully disagree with the ammo is a non-issue point;  while that may be true today, it wasn't a year or two ago.  Now granted all ammo was hard to get, the 5.7 ammo took longer to return to shelves than 9mm.   Also, I feel, and it's just a feeling not a proven fact, that the 5.7 ammo will come under increased scrutiny as it's known as a body armor pricing round, think the Green Tip goat rodeo we just went through.  If that is the case, 5.7 ammo dries up.

Two other points to consider are the business & ballistic sides.

Business side:  when another assult on ammo happens, and it will, manufactures will concentrate on producing ammo used most and is cheaper to produce.  It's the whole profit thing, there are more 9mm sales than 5.7 so the profits are in the 9mm.  So when SHTF, 9mm will be easier to get than 5.7.  Receny history has proven that.

On the ballistics side, a few posts up illustrates some of the advantages of the 9mm over the 5.7.  It goes back to the 45 vs. 9mm comparison for the millitary side arm.  Do you want knock down power or velocity?  Ok, the 9mm isn't known to pack a punch, but vs. the 5.7 it does.

I can't argue your point on mag capacity or storage, the PS90 wins there, but your weight agrument kinda defeats itself on the ballistics side.

Now the OPs question was on a Fun Gun, for that the PS90 wins, but for when SHTF, I feel the 9mm is better than the 5,7, so Tavor wins, for me.  Of course this is a personal call and everyone needs to make their own call.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The PS90 is a unique engineered gun that IS fun to shoot but to me its just an exotic plinker.

A standard Tavor with a 9mm conversion is light years ahead of the PS90 for practical use and availability of ammo , mags, etc.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I need to respectfully disagree with the ammo is a non-issue point;  while that may be true today, it wasn't a year or two ago.  Now granted all ammo was hard to get, the 5.7 ammo took longer to return to shelves than 9mm.   Also, I feel, and it's just a feeling not a proven fact, that the 5.7 ammo will come under increased scrutiny as it's known as a body armor pricing round, think the Green Tip goat rodeo we just went through.  If that is the case, 5.7 ammo dries up.

Business side:  when another assult on ammo happens, and it will, manufactures will concentrate on producing ammo used most and is cheaper to produce.  It's the whole profit thing, there are more 9mm sales than 5.7 so the profits are in the 9mm.  So when SHTF, 9mm will be easier to get than 5.7.  Receny history has proven that.

On the ballistics side, a few posts up illustrates some of the advantages of the 9mm over the 5.7.  It goes back to the 45 vs. 9mm comparison for the millitary side arm.  Do you want knock down power or velocity?  Ok, the 9mm isn't known to pack a punch, but vs. the 5.7 it does.

I can't argue your point on mag capacity or storage, the PS90 wins there, but your weight agrument kinda defeats itself on the ballistics side.

Now the OPs question was on a Fun Gun, for that the PS90 wins, but for when SHTF, I feel the 9mm is better than the 5,7, so Tavor wins, for me.  Of course this is a personal call and everyone needs to make their own call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

If I would use a tavor, I would just use my 5.56 Tavor. No need to go with a crappier round at the same form factor.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I would use a tavor, I would just use my 5.56 Tavor. No need to go with a crappier round at the same form factor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly

Far cheaper training. Far quieter when suppressed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want a suppressed 9mm, go with a locked action (ie a POF or MKE MP5 clone, the Sig MPX when it comes out), not a loud blowback.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am wanting a new pup.

I have always wanted a PS90 and the ammo is easy to find and more reasonable than years back.

However the thought of a 9mm pup, suppressed with subsonic rounds just sounds like fun.
I know the Tavor cost a little more up front but ammo is cheaper, especially for subs,
The Tavor is definately heavier and has a long mag sticking out the bottom  compared to the lighter more streamline look of the PS90.

View Quote

Why not save a couple hundred bucks and go with a 9mm AR??
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would go with the Tavor 9mm.  I think it is a better platform over the PS90, but here are some ballistic results that may help:

PS90 16"

SS197SR round-  

AE5728A round-

Tavor 16"

Speer GD +P round-  

CorBon +P round-  
View Quote

You missed one of the best 5.7X28 loads...the SS198LF, out of the PS90 it clocks around 2.600 fps. It's readily available, it's what my FsN is loaded with.

I hate referring to it but the Fort Hood shooting has shown what the round is capable of, in addition the .U.S. Secret Service trusts it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am wanting a new pup.

I already have 4 AR's plus a M16 with a 9mm 7" DOE upper that I run suppressed so dont need another AR set up.
I just want another bullpup.  I dont have a Tavor or a PS90.
I know the Tavor 9mm will cost me more up front but cheaper ammo than a PS90 which is cheaper upfront but more expensive ammo.

PS90 seems like a very light , small package with 50 rounds of fun.
A FDE Tavor in 9mm with my suppressor with some 147gr subs seem like fun too.
I'm still torn.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you want a suppressed 9mm, go with a locked action (ie a POF or MKE MP5 clone, the Sig MPX when it comes out), not a loud blowback.
View Quote

...Or for cheaper,I can buy a Tavor conversion that lets me train with the same platform but cheaper ammo, and is still ridiculously quiet.this isn't a hypothetical. I have one and use it for this.And it's far from loud.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I have both the PS90 (actually, I have two PS90s - one SBR and one not) and the Tavor in 5.56. I think the PS90 is probably the most fun, unique weapons systems I've ever had the pleasure of shooting, thought it is widely misunderstood by the general public.  I've always maintained that the PS90 is, at its core, a pistol designed to be shoulder fired. Now, I know that sounds like the BATFE's definition of a rifle, but the cartridge, range and intent of the PS90 is plainly for extreme CQB and was never intended to replace an intermediate rifle, like an AR. It is basically a handy, small-sized PDW for rear-echelon troops and serves the same general function as an UZI or MP5/UMP, though more elegantly and with higher capacity, IMHO. Obviously, I like the system, but my expectations are tempered based on its intended use.

On to the Tavor. Mine is the IDF model and, as stated, is in 5.56. I've shot the 9mm and it's quite allot of fun. However, all things considered, its very large for a 9mm as it's clearly not a sub-gun chassis. This is markedly so when compared to the PS90 and even more so when compared to a PS90 SBR.  I've looked at the 9mm Tavor with the Manticore Arms/Ratworx suppressor and, while a very cool bit of engineering, it's much larger and bulkier than the standard Tavor.  To me, the 9mm Tavor SAR is a training rifle due to the size, and not truly meant for CQB. I'm sure it's been used and is more than capable, but the rifle was clearly not purpose built as a sub-gun.

My recommendation is the PS90. Even if you never SBR it, it's allot of fun. Plus, you can put on a Huntertown Arms shroud and use a suppressor, which is pretty cool. Lastly, PS90's are currently hovering around $1K, but FNH is prepping to raise the MSRP on all of their guns in the near future. Just some food for thought.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Tavor 9mm

Especially if you have a 9mm AR15
SAME MAGS
Also...
Have you seen the rat worx/manticore suppressor for the Tavor 9mm?
YouTube it

I used to want ps90 but lost interest when they restricted the ammo
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I would go for the PS90.  I don't like the idea of shooting 9mm in a firearm built for 5.56.

I own a PS90 and it's a cool little gun.  I'm going to send off my forms in a couple weeks to SBR it.  The ammo is small and handy and I have no doubt it will get the job done.  Rapid shooting in an easy to control firearm with 50 rounds on tap makes me feel fuzzy inside.

For a 9mm carbine I like the MP5 line.  It's classic and shoots well suppressed.  Check out the POF line if you're interested.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would go for the PS90.  I don't like the idea of shooting 9mm in a firearm built for 5.56.

View Quote

Why? What's the problem with it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You missed one of the best 5.7X28 loads...the SS198LF, out of the PS90 it clocks around 2.600 fps. It's readily available, it's what my FsN is loaded with.

I hate referring to it but the Fort Hood shooting has shown what the round is capable of, in addition the .U.S. Secret Service trusts it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS90 16"

SS197SR round-  

AE5728A round-

Tavor 16"

Speer GD +P round-  

CorBon +P round-  

OK...

SS198LF round-
27gr   2600fps   405ft/lbs

Still not a major improvement.

Also, if you got a subsonic 5.7x28mm:
40gr   1050fps   98ft/lbs

9mm subsonic:
147gr   1050fps   360ft/lbs

It sounds like the OP wants a fun gun (of course, aren't they all???) so none of this data really matters in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:49:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a 9mm aug and love it. Next I'm getting an mp5k clone when the mke guns come in and I'll get a ps90 this year. Oh and cans for both. The more I shoot pistol caliber Sbr's the more I become addicted !!!  Where I live none of the ranges are over 200 yards but I have access to a really nice outdoor range with a sweet setup for pistol caliber weapons. I love the steel targets!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly

To counterpoint:

1.  Sorry, but ammo drying up should play no role in a platform decision.  Anyone is just plain stupid for not keeping an ample supply on hand if there was any shortage.  Ammo is available now.
2.  5.7 ammo is not undergoing any scrutiny.  Fact.  Not an issue.
3.  When SHTF, no ammo will be available regardless of caliber. You are stuck with what you have.  See point #1.
4.  9mm vs 5.7 velocity and energy comparison is a wash in CQB/short range environment
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top