Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2015 1:13:21 PM EDT
Hope you guys can help me out for the final decision. My plan is to get rid of anything I got and just keep 2 identical rifles.

The SIG 553* or the Tavor?

* SIG rifle = original swiss made rifles, I live in europe.

When you open up a SIG 55x rifle you see the BCG rides on steel rails. So we have steel on steel contact which is great for long term service/durability.

This is not the case with the Tavor. It has an aluminum internal rails which the BCG rides on. Here we got Steel on Aluminum contact which is less great compared to the SIG setup. But I want to hear Tavor owner if they have experience any issue with this setup. Tavor owner in this case = who have shot their rifles extensively. Wear and tear of the aluminum rail are to be expected, but are they self limiting or is the wear just something that keeps going until the internals are destroyed completely? I know SCAR rifles have this setup as well, but the wear on the aluminum is self limiting. How is this for the Tavor?

Second thing is, what are the most common replacement parst for Tavor? I know its built like a tank, but everything man-made breaks so spare parts are alfa omega in any rifle IMO.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got probably 3k rounds through mine and its going strong!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
They're different rifles suited for different purposes. What are your plans with these rifles?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Sort of apples and oranges. The SIG is an older design but far higher quality in my mind. Hard to beat Swiss SIGs but again, its a bit dated. Id go with the SIG...probably the bigger consideration for you is magazine availablity where you are.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Steel to aluminum contact really does not mean anything as far as longevity for the common user, think about all the widely used military arms that use steel-alloy actions that have exceeded any round count you could possibly expect to see as a civilian

M16/M4
SR-25 / M110
FN SCAR L/H
Beretta M9
Sig P226/228/229
Steyr AUG / F88
TAR-21 / MTAR

I would just pick the one you like the best

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The Tavor isn't even in the same price range as the 553, and it shows. I have both. The Tavor isn't anything exciting. It gets the job done, and is reliable. The 553 oozes quality, and I would grab that over the Tavor anyday. I wouldn't consider it outdated, either; it's an upgraded 552. There really isn't any comparison. The only downside is that you have to be careful with Sig mags. While I haven't had any problems, I've heard that a local police department had issues with dropping or banging loaded mags. They ended up with 30 rounds on the floor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]

With a Tavor - no worries, concerns with a steel BCG operating inside a hardened aluminum receiver....

Two different designs, two different military grade weapons....

One word - preference....
Both wil continue to operate well beyond the limitations most civilian shooters would put them through...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The only thing I don't like about Sig's is they are really heavy.  Which unfortunately the TAVOR doesn't really beat as much as you might hope.  So might as well stick with the SIG.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#8]
two is one and one is none...keep both
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:13:47 AM EDT
[#9]
A good hard anodized surface is harder than many steel surface finishes. Hard anodizing converts the surface of the aluminum to Aluminum Oxide which is what the grains on sand paper are made of. As long as the under lying aluminum in not stressed from impacts hard anodizing surface can last a very long time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Both the Tavor and SIG have Cold Hammer Forged Barrels with 1/7 twist....

I think the 553 is a beautiful firearm...but at $4k ......??

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Many good replies! I appreaciate it.

The thing is I think my SIG 551 is a bit front heavy. But I for sure do not think it is outdated. When I take my 551 apart it is obvious that this weapon has a lot of "brain" put to it. From an engineering perspective I have not seen anything like this yet. But the weight is annoying.

I know Tavor is a bit little beast. But the balance is much better. IMO its better to have a little bit heavier but well balanced than light and "bad-balanced".

I can get the magazine for Tavor, no problem. However I wonder why people criticize SBR for its performance but everybody seems to love the 552/553 which is way shorter than forexample MK18 and no one criticize a sub-compact SIG???

The little 8.9inch barrel of SIG 553 really annoys me. I would love to have the 553 if the ballistic performance was better. The Tavor with 18inch barrel is just as long as the SIG 553 SB extended! I think that is a huge plus!

Anyway my biggest concern is the Alu to Steel contact, but I guess you right. Even the SCAR has this feature.

Back when I had AR15 I had a bunch of spareparts. How is the Tavor? I see one member here has 3K through his gun, but did you have any replacement parts during the 3K? I mean is Tavor in general known for breakage? Common wear parts just like the AR15?

I know for sure that SIG 55X series are designed to really last a life time.

Maybe I sell my 551 and buy 2x Tavor!

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The thing is I think my SIG 551 is a bit front heavy. But I for sure do not think it is outdated. When I take my 551 apart it is obvious that this weapon has a lot of "brain" put to it. From an engineering perspective I have not seen anything like this yet. But the weight is annoying.

I know Tavor is a bit little beast. But the balance is much better. IMO its better to have a little bit heavier but well balanced than light and "bad-balanced".

I can get the magazine for Tavor, no problem. However I wonder why people criticize SBR for its performance but everybody seems to love the 552/553 which is way shorter than forexample MK18 and no one criticize a sub-compact SIG???

The little 8.9inch barrel of SIG 553 really annoys me. I would love to have the 553 if the ballistic performance was better. The Tavor with 18inch barrel is just as long as the SIG 553 SB extended! I think that is a huge plus!

Anyway my biggest concern is the Alu to Steel contact, but I guess you right. Even the SCAR has this feature.

Back when I had AR15 I had a bunch of spareparts. How is the Tavor? I see one member here has 3K through his gun, but did you have any replacement parts during the 3K? I mean is Tavor in general known for breakage? Common wear parts just like the AR15?

View Quote

I don't find the 14.3" OAL barrel 551 to be that terribly heavy. Compared to my AUGs, yes. But compared to other conventional designs I just don't find it to be bad. If you like the 55x series and already own a 551, maybe consider getting a 553 as a shorter little brother to your 551. I don't know how it is in Europe; in the US the availability of Tavor spare parts is nonexistent. Having a bunch of spares for you platform of choice, in my opinion is very important. Also, until you spend a decent amount of time behind a Tavor (or any other new to you platform), I wouldn't rush out and wholesale change platforms. Out of curiosity, why the desire to totally consolidate on one platform?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Spare parts for the Tavor are non existent......?

How so?

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't find the 14.3" OAL barrel 551 to be that terribly heavy. Compared to my AUGs, yes. But compared to other conventional designs I just don't find it to be bad. If you like the 55x series and already own a 551, maybe consider getting a 553 as a shorter little brother to your 551. I don't know how it is in Europe; in the US the availability of Tavor spare parts is nonexistent. Having a bunch of spares for you platform of choice, in my opinion is very important. Also, until you spend a decent amount of time behind a Tavor (or any other new to you platform), I wouldn't rush out and wholesale change platforms. Out of curiosity, why the desire to totally consolidate on one platform?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm...tough choice. I really like the 553 SOW. In Europe we can get firing pin and other minor stuff, but not bolts. As for "to totally consolidate one one platform", well I don't have a desire to own a bunch of guns. Thats just simply not me. I want something that is reliable and durable and once I have found it I just buy 2X!

I always buy my favourite guns twice. The spareparts sucks. At the moment I have the options of ...

Brand new SCAR 17 FDE or Black. BUT no spareparts! :-( Not even an extra magazine. That sucks!

Brand new TAVOR 15inch Israeli version. BUT no spareparts! Sucks again!

Brand new Steyr AUG A3, alot of spareparts!

Brand new SIG 553-2SP SOW wiht welded picatinny rails. Alot of spareparts!

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hmm...tough choice. I really like the 553 SOW. In Europe we can get firing pin and other minor stuff, but not bolts. As for "to totally consolidate one one platform", well I don't have a desire to own a bunch of guns. Thats just simply not me. I want something that is reliable and durable and once I have found it I just buy 2X!

I always buy my favourite guns twice. The spareparts sucks. At the moment I have the options of ...

Brand new SCAR 17 FDE or Black. BUT no spareparts! :-( Not even an extra magazine. That sucks!

Brand new TAVOR 15inch Israeli version. BUT no spareparts! Sucks again!

Brand new Steyr AUG A3, alot of spareparts!

Brand new SIG 553-2SP SOW wiht welded picatinny rails. Alot of spareparts!

View Quote

Spare parts are so important in any firearm you will be shooting frequently, especially if it may be used as a defensive firearm.  When you say that the AUG and SIG have a lot of spares, can you get barrels, bolts, and other critical components?  If so, that makes these the clear winners.  If you are set on a bullpup, the Steyr AUG is really a phenomenal platform.  I am a big fan of Euro rifles and have a FNC, SCAR-16s, FN FS2000, FN PS90, AUG A2, AUG A3, multiple SIG 551s, a 552 and 553.  The AUG is my clear favorite of all these platforms.  It is so compact, and made even more compact by removing the barrel.  It is accurate.  It is reliable.  It has great magazines.  The trigger is not good, but it is also easy to learn to shoot it well.  I say stick with the 55x series or go with an AUG.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep your sig, and buy an Aug. You have no idea how lucky you are to buy factory 55x series guns that are not abortions of its original design.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Steel to aluminum contact really does not mean anything as far as longevity for the common user, think about all the widely used military arms that use steel-alloy actions that have exceeded any round count you could possibly expect to see as a civilian

M16/M4
SR-25 / M110
FN SCAR L/H
Beretta M9
Sig P226/228/229
Steyr AUG / F88
TAR-21 / MTAR

View Quote

Not to pick nits, but the AUG doesn't have steel running on aluminum anywhere in the design. The op rods run on steel bushings swaged in the receiver, the barrel locks into a steel insert and has another steel insert at the front. The gas piston had a steel bushing in the receiver as does the CH latch.

Now plastic on plastic, that the AUG has in plenty.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not to pick nits, but the AUG doesn't have steel running on aluminum anywhere in the design. The op rods run on steel bushings swaged in the receiver, the barrel locks into a steel insert and has another steel insert at the front. The gas piston had a steel bushing in the receiver as does the CH latch.

AJ
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M16/M4
SR-25 / M110
FN SCAR L/H
Beretta M9
Sig P226/228/229
Steyr AUG / F88
TAR-21 / MTAR

AJ

Agreed.  There's less steel/Al rubbing on the AUG that their is in an AR.  And I've never heard of an AR wearing out due to steel/al rubbing.  This is a non-item.  In an AR, the steel bolt carrier rides in an aluminum receiver.  In the AUG, the bolt carrier has a little wheel on the top, which is the only moving piece of steel that touches aluminum.  Everything else is steel on steel inserts.  In both cases, it's a non-item (unless you went with a piston driven AR, but that's another topic).  There are accounts on here of full-auto rental AUG's running over 100,000 rounds with no breakages and very little maintenance.

My opinion, your best choice OP is the AUG - by quite a bit.  But exotic has it's appeal, and since AUG's are apparently more common where you are, I can see how having a TAVOR would have a better cool-factor appeal.  Heck, that's part of why I picked the AUG over the TAVOR, here in the US.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#19]
The little wheel on the back of the bolt carrier actually runs on the plastic of the stock.

And I totally agree that wear usually isn't a problem on well designed modern rifles.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Sig 553 if I could have the short barrel.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#21]
If I could get my hands on real deal Swiss made rifle... that's an easy decision. Sig easily.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:27:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Is the Tavor in Europe similar to the Tavors available in the US?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#23]
The AR runs a steel bolt in an aluminum receiver. No problem.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I would suggest that you go with the Tavor if you are looking for a compact rifle for CQB, I wold also trust it a bit more in very dusty conditions, but that is probably not a consideration for you.
You may want to see which one you shoot well, I don't know how the two compare accuracy wise so that may be a consideration.
Really no wrong choice here.

ETA - Re read your post and you can get a bolt spares kit for the Tavor for around 50 USD, it fits nicely in the grip.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The AR runs a steel bolt in an aluminum receiver. No problem.
View Quote

Carrier. Steel bolt carrier. The bolt itself makes no contact with the aluminum receiver.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#26]
SIG. Can you get a 551? With the stock folded it will be roughly as compact as a 15" Tavor I would think. Obviously when in a shooting position, it will be longer. But I think a 14" or so barrel isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I guess I underestimated the built and performance of my SIG 551 (taking it for granted).

I decide to keep the 551 and just buy another rifle. The AUG is very appealing due to the spareparts. And yes I can get bolts and barrels for both AUG and SIG. The Tavor not so much, unless I order two barrels.

The European imported Tavor is not like the US. We have the rifles that is closest to the Israeli military versions. The recoil spring can be replaced without replacing the whole BCG and it comes in 15inch barrel CTAR variant. Very cool!

Tavor has very long LOP compared to my 551 with the swiss made collapsible stock (which by the way is ROCK solid compared to the review I have seen for the US ones).

551 folded is actually shorter than Tavor.

BTW: I have an spare 551 stock which I want some picture uploaded for sale here. Do we have a sale section here?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Good plan. The 551 is a great rifle. As is the AUG. You are making the right decision to go with the platforms having the most spare parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top