Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2015 9:58:04 AM EDT
If so, which did you prefer?
Got good pics of the 1.5x?
I've seen good pics of the 3x, but not the 1.5x.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I had both.  Selling the 3x.  I personally found the 1.5x more suitable for my needs and easier to look through.

But, from what I have heard from Pete, the 3x models are out selling the 1.5x models 2 to 1.  So many it seems prefer the 3x scope.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had both.  Selling the 3x.  I personally found the 1.5x more suitable for my needs and easier to look through.

But, from what I have heard from Pete, the 3x models are out selling the 1.5x models 2 to 1.  So many it seems prefer the 3x scope.
View Quote

What does the recticle look like in the 1.5x, and how much cheaper is it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
3X is too slow to use at short range, which is why a 1X dot is preferred for CQB type applications.
Yes, you can mount a MRDS on top of the 3X.

If you are talking 1X, then there are better choices than the Steyr 1.5X, which doesn't have any illumination, eg. Aimpoint Micro.

If Steyr wanted to up the ante with respect to the optic, they need to develop a rugged 1-3X or 1-4X built in with illuminated reticle....

Mick
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have looked through both of them.  I cannot think of a reason to buy one of these unless you are after "the look".  There are much better optic options available IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Runs about $100 cheaper.  Reticle is a thick circle in the middle, with the 4 crosshairs coming out from it.  Personally, I like it, as it is similar to the original Aug A-1. Plus I find I can see the reticle very easily and quick with both eyes open.  

With the 1.5x scope and the 18" barrel, Shooting it, at 25m, to sight in, shooting from standing, unsupported, was making nice 1" groups.     1.5" groups, shooting at a pretty good pace.

Been taking it out Coyote hunting and no issues seeing and shooting out to 200 meters.  Scope is built like a tanks as well, so good for the field.

I have two Augs now, both the same.  But, going to swap out the scope on one, and put on the short rail and a Meprolight 21.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven't done both, so can't compare directly.  I have the 3X on mine.

I will say I had a 1X EOTech and a 3X multiplier on my M4 prior to this.  And found I never - ever - used the EOTech without the multiplier.  My usage was typically range accuracy shooting and field hunting, while on foot, and a little bit of snap shooting.  I needed the higher magnification for the hunting mostly for it's better ability to glass a target and see if a stump is really a stump, or something else.  Which is why I went with an 18" 3X AUG.  I like it.  The glass is very good quality, and the reticle is a fine cross hair with a donut of death dark circle around it.

Should I ever get into 3 gun style usage seriously, I will just throw a cheap MDS on top, it is why the rail is there in the first place.  If you are sure it is going to be a dedicated 3-gun type gun, then a 16" and 1.5X is probably the way to go, and just sort of hope for the best on target acquisition and fine shooting at stuff further out and in the woods.  I value the more general purpose performance that an 18" 3X gives.  And yes, I wanted the look.  Simple as that, I wanted the look.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with you on the 18" barrel.  And your photos is what required me to go with the 18" barrel, as just looks better. Plus, having compared the two I liked the weight and balance better on the 18" barrel.   Plus you get a bit better ballistics, and with the 18" barrel, you are still several inches shorter overall that an AR platform with a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The 1.5x is the same optic that was an option on A1/A2's and some A3 scopes.
I have that 1.5x optic and like it over the donut of death.
Also have the 3x optic. Like any 3x it isn't good for anything up close, but it is great magnification at longer distance.

One thing about the 1.5x Steyr optics is that while an aimpoint is a more modern optic, the extra .5x magnification gives an extra boost that a reddot can't offer. The ranging on the reticle is also a plus.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want, there is always the option to get the long rail M1 and put a Steyr 1.5x on it...
Another with an 18" barrel.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top