BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I own a Tavor and my father ownes a AUG... So I can give my impressions on both

Balance - AUG
While both rifles weigh around 8 pounds, and both have roughly the same LOP, the AUG seems to balance better in the hand.

Charging Handle - Tavor
The AUG charging handle is a real knuckle buster, I like the fact that you can lock the bolt with the AUG charging handle, but I still like the location of the Tavor charging handle better.

Tigger - AUG
The factory trigger on the AUG is better than the Tavor, however the Tavor does use a all metal tigger pack that can be worked over, and has aftermarket triggers available such as the Super Sabra or Tav-D. So my personal choice still goes to the Tavor, however if I was forced to use a rifle in factory configuration the win would go to the AUG.

Sling Mounts - Tavor
The factory limited rotation QD sling attachment points are pretty self explanatory.

Rail - ???
The Tavor sports a full length rail with a integrated set of BUIS with Tritium front, which is pretty awesome... I find that most American optics need a riser to get the proper cheek weld. My TA31F Acog was almost unusable on the Tavor for me using the standard TA51 mount, and my EoTech 512 was too low to use comfortably.  I did however find that my Aimpoint in a lower 1/3 mount sat perfectly... The AUG on the other hand has several rail length options to fit the users needs, which sit at a good height for proper cheek weld. So both have their strong/weak points.

Magazines - Tavor
While some consider AUG mags "superior" to AR15 magazines, with the introduction of PMAGS I find this to no longer be true at all. In fact I think the Tavors ability to use every type of AR15 magazines from from USGI, to Lancer, and Troy Battle Mags to be a huge plus considering how cheap and available they are. If Magpul would bring AUG mags to the US market at <$20ea it would be a great advantage...

Mag Release - Tavor
Some people don't like the trigger style mag release on the Tavor, to me its very natural.

Safety- Tavor
I don't have a problem with cross bolt safeties, but I still prefer a thumb safety

Muzzle Attachments - Tavor
The Tavor uses standard 1/2x28 vs the 13x1-LH on the AUG... Which for me is a no-brainer

Gas System - AUG
The Gas system on the AUG is adjustable, while the Tavor is not so...

Breakdown - Equal
They are both stupid easy with no tools required

Barrel Change - AUG
The barrel on the aug removes in a matter of seconds, which would be awesome with a .300blk barrel

Twist Rate - Tavor
I have always preferred a 1x7 twist over the 1x9 that the AUG has, but thats personal preference

Aftermarket Support - Tavor
From triggers to rail options, the Tavor has a broad selection of aftermarket parts and accessories

Conclusion
While I do not regret getting my Tavor, I do find that the AUG balances much better for me and just feels more natural. But in reality you can't go wrong with either... I eventually will end up buying a AUG A3 M1 NATO with a 1.5x optic to satisfy my own craving for a AUG, so my advice is GET BOTH.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have owned an MSAR, FS2000, and a Tavor.  

The MSAR was a great rifle and would definitely use for a go to rifle.  The only thing I didn't really care for was the forward grip, but that is just my own personal opinion. I like having the option on the Tavor to change it up or eliminate it all together.

I believe all three rifles are proven reliable in the real world.

I picked the Tavor as my go to rifle because it was just more comfortable all around for me.  I liken it to choosing a handgun. It doesn't have to be the most expensive weapon on the market it has to be comfortable so you will use it.

I don't care much for Glocks because of the grip angle. Doesn't mean it isn't a fine firearm. Just not what I prefer.

I think either an Aug or a Tavor would be a great choice. The overall bull pup design lends itself well to tight quarters and home defense..
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 4:03:02 AM EDT
[#3]
IDF!! Need I say more?!?!
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ever shot a Baby Eagle 9mm?  Worst POS I've ever owned.  Only 9mm that would regularly jam.   IDF doesn't automatically mean awesome.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The IDF did not exactly design the Baby Eagle.  It is a CZ-75 clone, so CZ is to blame for that failure.

Quoted:

Ever shot a Baby Eagle 9mm?  Worst POS I've ever owned.  Only 9mm that would regularly jam.   IDF doesn't automatically mean awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The IDF did not exactly design the Baby Eagle.  It is a CZ-75 clone, so CZ is to blame for that failure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The CZ75 is a solid design.
If the Baby Eagle is a bad design it isn't CZ's fault that it someone tried to copy the design and failed.
That reasoning would hold Ferrari culpable for the Fiero/Ferrari clones that are junk. It just doesn't work that way...
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:55:08 AM EDT
[#7]
do quick reaction/CQB drill/type handling in urban structure setting(tight corners) and see which one points better more naturally.

Under stress (e.g., just woke up from interrupted sleep). looks won't matter but natural handling will.

Best wish!

Quoted:
So I'm looking for advice on my first ever bullpup and possibly the only one for a while (have a bunch of other guns on my wantlist!)

I'm set on 223/556 but am curious what ARFCOM things is king.  

Gun will most likely hangout near where I sleep and the purpose will be primary HD rifle for me.  I'm mostly between the AUG and Tavor but if anyone has a compelling argument for the FS2000 I'd love to hear it!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
My vote's obvious

Only problem with a 40rd mag is going prone

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:14:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Have all three. Tough choice. All great rifles. If FN was still supporting and supplying parts for the FS2000 as vigorously as they once did, I could just as easily choose it over the AUG and Tavor.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't care for my FS2000 after a couple years of ownership.

It wasn't 100% reliable, tended to jam up every few hundred rounds with no discernible cause.

It was goofy looking, frankly.

Limited in mags it could accept.

Piss poor iron sights.

Breakable charging handle.

Limited sling mount options. Plus the gas port blasts your sling and burns it.

Unable to mount a light unless you use a dremel on the handguard or buy the factory rail that is literally almost as wide as a railroad tie.

It was a fun gun that got a lot of attention, but my AR/AK did everything better. I cant speak to the AUG and TAR
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The IDF did not exactly design the Baby Eagle. It is a CZ-75 clone, so CZ is to blame for that failure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
The IDF did not exactly design the Baby Eagle. It is a CZ-75 clone, so CZ is to blame for that failure.

Quoted:
Quoted:

They fucked up the cloning process though.

Your wrong..
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I would love to see Glock in the Bullpup game. A 5-6 pound max 10mm for hunting would be sweet. I seriously doubt we'll ever see it though, even in 5.56. Other than that--Tavor baby!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wonder how many people smacked themselves in the face with that CH...

AJ
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wonder how many people smacked themselves in the face with that CH...

AJ

if they smack their self in the face with that, how do they charge an AR?

way to add to the conversation.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top