Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2015 10:57:18 PM EDT
Been searching all over the net and found some guesses and speculation but nothing solid.
Has anyone converted there flat top to the idf? I have the mepro m21 with triangle reticle and would like to also use the mepro magnifier.  I would have simply purchased the idf model but I don't care for the bullseye reticle it comes with.

Seems Like all I would need is the idf mepro mounting base and the rear sight / magnifier mounting piece?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Fyi, the latest model US made IDF Tavors I've seen have the IDF triangle reticle.  You could change the railed version to the IDF model if IWI will sell the parts separately. I emailed them last year and they said it would be a while. The rear IDF BUIS and proprietary magnifier mount are an integral one piece "sleeve". It would replace or fill in the large opening on top of the receiver that's covered up by the picantinny rail, but it can be installed along with another small part which I forgot the name of.  You would also need the front BUIS parts, not a big deal if IWI sells them. The US IDF Tavor mepro m21 mount is different from the IDF issued tavor. The ITL/MARS sight was designed to mount directly to the tavor and cowitness with the BUIS. To use the IDF's picantinny m21's on the tavor they needed a railed interface.  US model tavor has an integral optic mount. The IDF use a short picantinny rail and flat top Mepro m21, which allows them to use the m21's on the tavor and m4 flat top carbines. Meprolight also makes the magnifier with the picantinny base. I wish they would have just made the U.S. Idf tavor with the short rail because it would have been easy to just remove it from the barrel assembly and install my MARS sight. Maybe IWI will make an IDF conversion kit".
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a Canadian site that sells the rear sight portion, I'll see if I can dig up the link when I get off work.  As for the front sight and m21 mount that's probably up to IWI.  I too would like to convert mine, but I experimented and got as close as I could with what I had.  I bought an extra top rail and chopped it, and then installed the gear head works front sight.  The front sights works perfectly with the stock rear buis.  Its not the same as the IDF model but it gives a close look.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#3]
You could also take the existing 1913 top rail "rail grabbers" and hex head screws that clamp to the gas/barrel assembly along with a drilled section of generic picantinny rail cut to length.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fyi, the latest model US made IDF Tavors I've seen have the IDF triangle reticle.  You could change the railed version to the IDF model if IWI will sell the parts separately. I emailed them last year and they said it would be a while. The rear IDF BUIS and proprietary magnifier mount are an integral one piece "sleeve". It would replace or fill in the large opening on top of the receiver that's covered up by the picantinny rail, but it can be installed along with another small part which I forgot the name of.  You would also need the front BUIS parts, not a big deal if IWI sells them. The US IDF Tavor mepro m21 mount is different from the IDF issued tavor. The ITL/MARS sight was designed to mount directly to the tavor and cowitness with the BUIS. To use the IDF's picantinny m21's on the tavor they needed a railed interface.  US model tavor has an integral optic mount. The IDF use a short picantinny rail and flat top Mepro m21, which allows them to use the m21's on the tavor and m4 flat top carbines. Meprolight also makes the magnifier with the picantinny base. I wish they would have just made the U.S. Idf tavor with the short rail because it would have been easy to just remove it from the barrel assembly and install my MARS sight. Maybe IWI will make an IDF conversion kit".
View Quote

I called them today, was told that they don't have the parts all are going into production rifles And I would also need the cocking handle subassembly, along with the rear sight/magnifier piece and IDF M21 mount like you mentioned. The representative I spoke with told me that the Israeli military is starting to replace the "idf" model with the flat tops for flexibility. I asked about a Canadian source for parts, he said that they get supplied straight from Israeli and they don't really have any communications with them.

What sucks is 10 minutes & and handful of parts  thats keeps me from the config i would prefer (this is why I will stay a faithful AR guy you can always get what you want). He did mention that the fist 500 idc's did have the bullseye & later version are the chevron reticles. I wish I would have known that then
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is a Canadian site that sells the rear sight portion, I'll see if I can dig up the link when I get off work.  As for the front sight and m21 mount that's probably up to IWI.  I too would like to convert mine, but I experimented and got as close as I could with what I had.  I bought an extra top rail and chopped it, and then installed the gear head works front sight.  The front sights works perfectly with the stock rear buis.  Its not the same as the IDF model but it gives a close look.  

http://i.imgur.com/uxyWrvh.jpg
View Quote

That would be great if we had a Canadian source that would ship these items to us>
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top