Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2015 3:26:12 PM EDT
Figured I'd post this here, as Surefire seems to produce these in limited runs, and I don't see them crop up that often.

Just got of the phone with Surefire and ordered one MB556K-AUG, the discontinued AUG Muzzle Brake (non-SOCOM).  They apparently don't have too many left sitting around.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Figured I'd post this here, as Surefire seems to produce these in limited runs, and I don't see them crop up that often.

Just got of the phone with Surefire and ordered one MB556K-AUG, the discontinued AUG Muzzle Brake (non-SOCOM).  They apparently don't have too many left sitting around.

View Quote

Wow! How much was it? What is the difference between this one and the SOCOM?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]

I've been trolling for a SOCOM model for a long, long time.

Pure unobtanium.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The brake itself is $149.99.  

The legacy brakes are pretty similar to the SOCOM, just a different adapter mechanism for the suppressor.  As far as their compensating abilities, I'd say they exactly the same.

Legacy:
http://www.surefire.com/mb556k-sb-muzzle-brake-adapter.html

SOCOM:
http://www.surefire.com/sfmb-556-1-2-28.html
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been trolling for a SOCOM model for a long, long time.

Pure unobtanium.

View Quote

I said 'fuck it' and just used the regular SOCOM brake with the Ratworx adapter. Actually worked out well because the adapter pushed it far out enough on the 18" barrel to clear the CQC forend.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
18" barrel or Original CQC 16" barrel ???
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
18" barrel, thanks to PJs black friday sale.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It'd be nice if Steyr just had the US made barrels for the US market spec'd with a 1/2x28 thread.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It'd be nice if Steyr just had the US made barrels for the US market spec'd with a 1/2x28 thread.
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Exactly
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly

Yeah, but then there would have been all the "It's not AUTH-entic!" and "Thanks for the anti-freedom flash hider!" cries.  You can't win for losing in that game.

Richard
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Were there any fit issues with the 18" barrel with the Surefire Muzzle Brake + SOCOM556-RC Suppressor and the CQC Rail system?   How much clearance between the CQC Rail and the Suppressor?  I'm trying to make sure the 18" barrel is long enough before I buy one.  Thanks...

Pete
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm using a SOCOM 7.62 Mini suppressor actually. But no, no fit issues, the brake isn't big enough to cause any issues with taking the CQC forend on and off.

Only initial issue was that with hot-loaded ammo (Freedom Munitions new mfg 62gr), had about four stovepipes within four mags when suppressed, and ejection when suppressed was going roughly to the 1 o'clock position. I discussed the matter with an Austrian military guy on lightfighter, and he told me that on the current military models, the gas regulator no longer has an adverse setting. It goes normal, and then suppressed. The suppressed position is where the adverse setting normally is on the gas regulator, and is actually a larger hole than the normal setting. Sounds contradictory compared to how adjustable AR gas blocks are set up, I know. The idea is that that way, more gas gets vented out the side rather than being vented back into the action and overgassing it. He measured suppressed port for me and it came out to .101. I drilled mine out to .107 (only drill bit of that general size that was around the house) and test fired it yesterday. Ran five mags through at a fairly fast pace and had no issues. Having that suppressed setting pushed the ejection pattern back to 2 o'clock when suppressed, and no malfunctions at all.

I call it the Suppressable Marksman AUG. Or for short, the SMAUG.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Arrived last week, and just got it installed.  Holy cow was the factory flash hider a bear to get off.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Can I ask what back up sights you are using there?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Those are Magpul MBUS Pros.

Quoted:
Can I ask what back up sights you are using there?
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top