Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2015 6:41:07 PM EDT
I'm thinking of mounting the WML just left and as far forward of the front sight as I can reach with the Thorntail 1913 offset mount. Does anyone know if this will interfere much with the charging handle?  Backup front sight is an accepted casualty. I don't have the mount but all the rest. I shoot with my thumb over the charging handle and this would be a natural placement, though I wish someone made a lower profile handguard since I don't want all the empty space under the barrel.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are some pics....not a WML, but an APL.   Thre is not that much room up there using the Thorntail.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, that's terrible photography! Kidding and thanks for the pics!  I think I'm sold on it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
seattlite, will your front sight still fold up?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
seattlite, will your front sight still fold up?
View Quote

I can't remember...Thorntail and APL are off the rifle so I can't easily check.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of mounting the WML just left and as far forward of the front sight as I can reach with the Thorntail 1913 offset mount. Does anyone know if this will interfere much with the charging handle?  Backup front sight is an accepted casualty. I don't have the mount but all the rest. I shoot with my thumb over the charging handle and this would be a natural placement, though I wish someone made a lower profile handguard since I don't want all the empty space under the barrel.

Thanks for any help.
View Quote

Have you not considered a different handguard with an internal weaponlight? Midwest Industries has an extended keymod handguard and a Primary Arms weaponlight (700 lumen)/ MI light mount combo kit that works well. Everything is out of the way and you can mount the momentary switch where you choose.

The mount will fit a 1" dia. light, so if you want, you can mount a weaponlight that is 1" around at the front and affix it inside the handguard. This way, the light fits flush with the mount and nothing protrudes. You would need to make sure that the light was available with a momentary switch.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I just dislike the handguard being so big. If they made handguards for the AR that big, people wouldn't be buying them. I think I just got really used to the C clamp type grip with the AR too much. I have a feeling the X95 will be a smaller circumference handguard when it eventually gets here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#7]

I don't like the big handguards they make for the Tavor. I also don't like the idea of taking everything apart to change batteries. Here is what I came up with.

Factory handguard. Change the batteries from the front. Uses factory button.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys running the lights in the handguards, how is the shadow pattern when in use?  Seems like it would put it right in your primary sight line.  Any issues with this?
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]

I do have a bit of shadowing. I would say the above setup does not.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I have zero shadowing with my setup. Nice clean 360 degrees of light. It all depends on how it is mounted and what light source you use.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have zero shadowing with my setup. Nice clean 360 degrees of light. It all depends on how it is mounted and what light source you use.
View Quote

Will a Scout light work in that handguard?
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would have to measure the diameter at the point you intended to mount it. There are two different mounts sizes available: 1" and 1.125" (1 1/8"). The Primary Arms light that MI sells as the light package is the one I have. It sits in a 1" mount. The bezel of the light is 1.25" and the body is 1". If the Scout model you have has a body size of 1" or 1 1/8", you will have to mount it like mine. If the bezel is 1" or 1/1/8", then you could mount it flush with the extended handguard.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1235

Here is a picture of one I found with a flush mounted light. The downside is that you are going to get a shadow because of how far it sets back from the end of the muzzle device.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:34:33 AM EDT
[#15]
twpayne75,

Is that a scout light?  How did you go about this? I saw one done similar before it might be the closest I'll get to low profile.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
twpayne75,

Is that a scout light?  How did you go about this? I saw one done similar before it might be the closest I'll get to low profile.
View Quote

It is a Scout light. I had to Dremel out some of the inside of the handguard to get it to sit down in there. Then I filed down the factory activation switch which is basically just a hole filler on ours until I could get the pressure switch behind it. Be back with an internal picture in a moment.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#17]

From when I was fitting everything.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I see how you did it now. Very nice. Did you use the pre-existing handguard hole for the scout screw(s)? How hard was it to get the angle correct so the light was pointing the correct direction?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#19]

I ended up switching again. The shadowing was getting on my nerves. I like this setup much better.

I did use the factory hole to hold it. From the outside only the front had been altered.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/twpayne75/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150102_220034_zpsixtcptl8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/Mobile%20Uploads/20150102_220034_zpsixtcptl8.jpg</a>

I don't like the big handguards they make for the Tavor. I also don't like the idea of taking everything apart to change batteries. Here is what I came up with.

Factory handguard. Change the batteries from the front. Uses factory button.
View Quote

Nice. That's what I did too. Only I used the latched button from a SR-07 instead of momentary.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top