Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2014 7:25:51 PM EDT
Has anyone picked up any from these vendors and confirm that these mags are Austrian?
I know there are a bunch of (factory Steyr) USA made magazines floating around that are causing failures and/or are generally problematic.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone picked up any from these vendors and confirm that these mags are Austrian?
I know there are a bunch of (factory Steyr) USA made magazines floating around that are causing failures and/or are generally problematic.
Thanks.
View Quote

Bought 2 30s and 2 42s from 44mag.  Doesn't state where there were made.  Seem to feed reliably enough.  42's didn't drop free, but was an easy fix.    How do you tell, and what's the problem?

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Both CDNN and 44mag AUG mags are Austrian.
US mags do not drop free at all, at least for me they didn't...

Mick
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bought 2 30s and 2 42s from 44mag.  Doesn't state where there were made.  Seem to feed reliably enough.  42's didn't drop free, but was an easy fix.    How do you tell, and what's the problem?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.

Hopefully someone will jump in here with a pic of the difference, I used to have one from when the bad mags started showing up (which I can't find now) but if memory serves the feed lips are different somehow and they are marked differently?
I can't be sure but I read that people were sending them to Steyr and they exchanged them for Austrian manufactured mags.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hopefully someone will jump in here with a pic of the difference, I used to have one from when the bad mags started showing up (which I can't find now) but if memory serves the feed lips are different somehow and they are marked differently?
I can't be sure but I read that people were sending them to Steyr and they exchanged them for Austrian manufactured mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.

I read that the feed lips were thicker causing FTF, but Steyr claimed that these mags were manufactured here in the USA using their machines. So your guess is as good as any
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]
the feed lips on the US mags are thicker and their geometry is very different from the Austrians ones.  i bought some US made mags from Pete and had tons of FTF/FTE malfunctions in my AUG-A1.  went back to Austrian mags and all the problems went away

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:05:05 AM EDT
[#6]
While I've never had FTE/FTF issues with AUG mags, I have had issue with feeding a fresh round after a reload using the A3 bolt release.  I believe I have a mix of US/Austrian/Malaysian magazines and this lack of consistency has made me turn to the NATO stock and PMAGs.  It's a shame but there is nothing definitive on this subject and the amount of AUG mags out there with issues bugs me.  Yet, you'll always read AUG fan boys and apologists claiming the AUG mag is perfect and never has an issue... Sigh.  Let's be real about the limitations of our chosen platform boys.  No reason to lie to ourselves.  We're all 1.5k deep here at a minimum.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
While I've never had FTE/FTF issues with AUG mags, I have had issue with feeding a fresh round after a reload using the A3 bolt release.  I believe I have a mix of US/Austrian/Malaysian magazines and this lack of consistency has made me turn to the NATO stock and PMAGs.  It's a shame but there is nothing definitive on this subject and the amount of AUG mags out there with issues bugs me.  Yet, you'll always read AUG fan boys and apologists claiming the AUG mag is perfect and never has an issue... Sigh.  Let's be real about the limitations of our chosen platform boys.  No reason to lie to ourselves.  We're all 1.5k deep here at a minimum.
View Quote

Malaysian mags?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Malaysian contract mags came in via an importer apex? and were causing people some problems a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gen 2 Pmags had been documented to cause damages to BOTH Tavor and Aug bolts/carriers.
Gen 3 Pmags and Surefire 60 mags are not compatible with Beretta ARX 100/160

Fact is in spite of hundreds of manufacturers making STANAG mags for the AR platform, they are in some cases questionable for non-AR platforms. One has to try everything and stick with the reliable ones. You pointed out already what your problems are: you have a mix of different manufacturers for the same magazine. As such you need to test every one of them and discard the problematic ones. This method is true for all weapon platforms and any and all magazines regardless of age and manufacturer. Fanboy attitude will only get themselves killed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I see your frustration, but I think you're off a bit.

Right now there are 9,000+ A3 stocks in the US belonging to the public, not counting prior generation AUG's.
Assuming it is an "A3 bolt release" issue, if 1% of users of the A3 stock are having feeding issues during reloads that would be roughly 90 unhappy individuals with the A3 stock.

At the moment there's about 22,000 ± a couple thousand AUG's with the US public. Take away about 2,000 for owners with the NATO stock, which is a high estimate, that leaves about 20,000 AUG's that accept an AUG mag in the USA.
Assuming it is a magazine problem, with an "amount of AUG mags out there with issues" large enough to frustrate people, how many people should it affect if the amount of mags out there with problems is troubling?
One percent of ~20,000 is nearly 200 unhappy and frustrated individuals. 5% = 1,000 frustrated people, 10% = 2,000 and so on...

During my time on this forum, the bullpup forum, and other smaller sites, I've never read more than a small handful of complaints on AUG mags and the A3 stock. If there were more than 20 complaints total I would be very surprised.

There's a guy on bullpup forum with the same exact problem as you have, assuming you're not the same person, that would make two very frustrated and unhappy individuals with both the A3 stock and the AUG magazines. "Fan boyism" aside, I just don't see the problem being as widespread and prolific as you made it out to be.

Yes the USA mags suck. Yes the Malaysian mags suck, And yes, we're all invested into the AUG at a high price - but if the "limitations" you suggest were more than a statistical outlier, these problems would be all over the forums and even someone like myself would seriously reconsider the money I've dumped into the AUG...

I'm glad found a solution and are now happy with NATO mags.
Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you want mags that work with the NATO stock, then use USGI mags.  PMAGs will fit, but they aren't to the same spec; otherwise they'd fit all the guns that have a STANAG magwell.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#12]
OK guys; after much searching I was able to find pics (again) of the US made magazines that are defective.  You can tell the difference by looking at the 10 digit code and the 30, 20 and 10 cartridge count numbers.  All will have a square indention molded around them and this is REAL easy to see.
From what I read these were only made for a short time but how many were made and where they were sold I was not able to find.

I went through my mags again to triple check as I have not fired all of them and they are all Austrian.  

If anyone has purchased AUG mags from CDNN or 44MAG please let me/us know what you got and any info on the customer service and/or shipping cost would be helpful as well.
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Dammit. It appears that I have 20 US made Aug mags. Do they all have problems? Or should I call up Steyr and ask them to replace them all? Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK guys; after much searching I was able to find pics (again) of the US made magazines that are defective.  You can tell the difference by looking at the 10 digit code and the 30, 20 and 10 cartridge count numbers.  All will have a square indention molded around them and this is REAL easy to see.
From what I read these were only made for a short time but how many were made and where they were sold I was not able to find.

I went through my mags again to triple check as I have not fired all of them and they are all Austrian.  

If anyone has purchased AUG mags from CDNN or 44MAG please let me/us know what you got and any info on the customer service and/or shipping cost would be helpful as well.
Thanks guys.
View Quote

Links/pics?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought the 42 rd mags do not drop free, only the 30 rd?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought the 42 rd mags do not drop free, only the 30 rd?
View Quote

They don't as delivered.  Sand down the front dot a tiny bit, and then they will.  Better then 30's, because heavier.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Steyr replaced mine with Austrian mags when I called them...

Mick

Quoted:
Dammit. It appears that I have 20 US made Aug mags. Do they all have problems? Or should I call up Steyr and ask them to replace them all? Thanks!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#18]
US made (notice the square or box indentation around the numbers)...

Still looking for feedback from a CDNN or 44MAG customer as I want to pick up around 30 mags and want to make sure they are Austrian.  I would hate to spend the $$ and then have to hassle with trying to return them.
ANYONE bought any from either vendor?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:40:12 AM EDT
[#19]
The US mags are long gone. It shouldn't be something to worry about.
The last US made mags for sale happened nearly two years ago and were clearly advertised as such.

But if buying from an individual you may want to confirm origin.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:11:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have never personally seen one of these magazines with my own eyes much less fired one but I have read reports ranging from 'they sort of work' to 'I would trade this rifle for a baseball bat right now' so I don't want to be stuck with any.

Try contacting Steyr, I have read they exchanged mags for others.

From where did you acquire these mags (so others may avoid them)?

Best wishes and enjoy your weapon!

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:25:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The last US made mags for sale happened nearly two years ago and were clearly advertised as such.
View Quote

Thank you for the info sir; are you able to elaborate?

FlyingNut says he has 20 of them so I hope he comes back on soon to let us know where he got them...

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#22]
So those really inexpensive AUG mags from Manventureoutpost, were they Austrian or something else?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I purchased 35 mags from Manventure and none of them have the square around the numbers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Just checked my order from CDNN and no brackets
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#25]
The US made mags are loooong gone. They were made by sabre defense and sold years ago.

About two years ago when mag prices were stupid expensive, Pete sold a small amount of US made mags he had. They were advertised as US made mags, not Austrian, and there weren't very many of them sold. Back then, those last few mags were a screaming deal for AUG mags. Not too long ago a $35 AUG mag was a good deal. Ten years ago and longer ago, AUG mags were basically gold bars.

As he bought the last mags from sabre defense, those were the LAST to be sold. Everything sold before that was back around 2009...

Hence, anyone fretting over their newly purchased or soon to be purchased mags being US made shouldn't worry. All the mags out there right now are Austrian. The mags that were dirt cheap last year were from the 65.000+ mags that RSR bought from Steyr, who imported them from Austria.

FWIW, I bought ten of the US made mags to use as parts and to induce malfunctions like others had reported years ago. The springs, followers, and baseplates are perfect. It's the bodies that are "out of spec".
The few times I've used them, I've not had any malfunctions with them - but still consider the mag bodies to be "junk" due to not being the same "spec" as Austrian mags. The mags were also pretty dang tight in the stock - definitely do not drop free without using a dremel to sand them down.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, bought from both and they are confirmed Austrian manufacture...

Mick

Quoted:
US made (notice the square or box indentation around the numbers)...

http://i60.tinypic.com/n1vtpx.jpg

Still looking for feedback from a CDNN or 44MAG customer as I want to pick up around 30 mags and want to make sure they are Austrian.  I would hate to spend the $$ and then have to hassle with trying to return them.
ANYONE bought any from either vendor?
Thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#27]
[
I have never personally seen one of these magazines with my own eyes much less fired one but I have read reports ranging from 'they sort of work' to 'I would trade this rifle for a baseball bat right now' so I don't want to be stuck with any.

Try contacting Steyr, I have read they exchanged mags for others.

From where did you acquire these mags (so others may avoid them)?

Best wishes and enjoy your weapon!
View Quote

I received my US made mags from Pete back when he was selling them for $20/each. Fortunately, I've got another 45 Austrian mags thanks to the ManVenture blowout :)
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes, bought from both and they are confirmed Austrian manufacture...

Mick
View Quote

Thanks! I just bought 8 x 42 round mags after reading that.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#29]
So the cdnn 30 rd are Austrian, right?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a mix of US and Austrian magazines.  I have not had a single problem with the US magazines.  They all run fantastic.  Out of my 27 magazines, I think 8 of them are US.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes...

Mick

Quoted:
So the cdnn 30 rd are Austrian, right?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Did anyone get in on the buy from Numrichs(sp?)? I bought a bunch. They were translucent green and really dusty. I will check my stock and report back after the first; last family member just went into the nursing home so I'm batting cleanup!

If mags I bought from Pete have the square then I contact Pete, correct?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Pete will probably try to put you in touch with Steyr. I'm going to call Steyr after the holidays. If I don't get anywhere, I'll consider calling Pete.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#34]
The 30 rounders from CDNN have "12.00.05.0001" and a "90" over a "7" inside a circle.  The number string was not inside an indented box, but was raised off of the mag body.
I couldn't find any other info on them?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 5:51:26 AM EDT
[#35]
I called Steyr and they asked me to test fire all my US made mags, and they would be more than happy to replace any that malfunctioned.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The 30 rounders from CDNN have "12.00.05.0001" and a "90" over a "7" inside a circle.  The number string was not inside an indented box, but was raised off of the mag body.
I couldn't find any other info on them?
View Quote

You have Austrian mags.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Great.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Trying to decide how many mags is the right number....  

So here's what I'm thinking: You need a bare minimum of 5 mags as a working set.   For carbine classes, apparently that's all you need, but some say it can be nice to bring as many as 10 or so, so that you don't have to reload mags while there.  

So then it comes down to 30's and 42's.  I like the shorter 30's for general use - heck a lot of times I just load 5 rounds into it.  But if I were in a carbine class, 3-gun, or such, 42's will have a nice capacity advantage.  This is where it gets interesting.  Between CDNN and 44mag, you can get Austrian originals of either for around $20 each.  Not bad.  

But, that inventory is apparently over-stock from panic induced production.  Once that's gone, restock prices are more in line with what you see from all other retailers, which is around $45/mag.  Ouch; but wait: with MagPul's entry we should be able to get PMag AUG 30's for $20 - meaning a nice longer-term high quality supply chain at good prices.  So that's encouraging.  But I have not heard a peep about MagPul making 42's.  Soo.... I'm thinking now might not be a bad time to focus on the 42's - especially since 44Mag seems to have those priced even lower than the 30's.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#39]
really depends how many you need, I have got mostly if not all mags with black plates.  I have a green rifle, I will likely order several from 44mag that have the green plates just beacause.   Think I will have just under 20 aug mags then, that will be plenty.

And being plastic, if they do become brittle due to age, it will happen to all of them regardless of how many I have so I don't see the need to hoarde them.   Also, i do plan to get several magpuls when they are available, again just because.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I should be good for a while! I really can't tell any difference between a 30 and 42 while shooting, moving, etc. If I could do it all over again I would have all 42's and just one 30. A local place has 42's for $22.99, I'll buy them all if they still have them in February.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#41]
It'll be march before us Ohioans can use 31+ round centerfire mags in non NFA weapons.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I just received 8 42rd mags from CDNN, they look great.

They are around the same size as a 30rd 7.62x39mm AK mag, just straighter. A fully loaded 42 round magazine is lighter than a fully loaded AK mag.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I got six 30 rd mags recently.   Four had the "90" over "7" mold mark on the right hand side and two had the same mold mark on the left hand side of the mag.
Funny thing is that the four with the mark on the right would launch the top round in the mag (only when a round was feeding from the right feed lip) when loaded into the gun, bolt locked back of course.  When the top round was under the left feed lip then the mag loaded into the rifle without a round jumping out of the mag?

The two with the mold mark on the left loaded fine, with the top round under either feed lip.  42 rd mags were 100%.

I loaded all of the mags into the rifle using a beer can grip and didn't do any hollywood-style loads by slapping the bottom of the mags?
Anyone noticed this strange happen-stance, too?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#44]
I checked my Numrichs mags and none have the boxed number, just lots of dust.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I got six 30 rd mags recently.   Four had the "90" over "7" mold mark on the right hand side and two had the same mold mark on the left hand side of the mag.
Funny thing is that the four with the mark on the right would launch the top round in the mag (only when a round was feeding from the right feed lip) when loaded into the gun, bolt locked back of course.  When the top round was under the left feed lip then the mag loaded into the rifle without a round jumping out of the mag?

The two with the mold mark on the left loaded fine, with the top round under either feed lip.  42 rd mags were 100%.

I loaded all of the mags into the rifle using a beer can grip and didn't do any hollywood-style loads by slapping the bottom of the mags?
Anyone noticed this strange happen-stance, too?
View Quote

I received six more 30 rd  mags (two from Steyr and four from CDNN).  Of the six received three had the mold mark (90/7) on the right side and three on the left.
Two of the right side mold mark would do the above - any round under the right feed lip pops out when loaded into an open bolt gun.  The left side mold mark mags work fine.
So far, only one mag with that right side mold mark (out of six with the right side mold mark) will load without popping the top right round out.  All six with the left side mold mark and the two 42 rd mags work 100%.  Not liking the fact that only a little over 50% of my 30 rd mags give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:04:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Any idea where I can purchase Green followers and floor plates for the Steyr mags?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:20:04 AM EDT
[#47]
By the way, I found a new 42 round black MSAR mag in my box, it looks crudely similar to the Steyr, the lugs, lips and shape.. does anyone recall whether they function in the Steyr Aug ?

My Aug's for posterity :)

NATO model
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/gocargo/August/AugNATO_zpsa228998f.jpeg

A3 model
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/gocargo/August/AuggreenA3_zpsa87ea4b1.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top