Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#1]
100 yard line:   55 gr ball light load - using the 200 yard zero.
Group size was 1.8 MOA extreme spread, and 0.841 AtC.  But the data of interest here is the offset, and we see that it has about a 1.2 MOA vertical offset.  Meaning that a 200 yard zero has the rifle hitting a little over an inch high at 100 yard, which is pretty good.

A different lot of 55 ball, a touch hotter, using the same 200 yard zero as that light ball ammo:
1.2 MOA (0.54 MOA extreme spread).  1.2 MOA vertical offset - same as other (as expected)

(62 gr - no data)

75 gr match at 100 yards, using the 200 yard zero.
1.6 MOA, 0.662 MOA AtC
Offset was 2.5MOA vertical.  

100 yard line conclusions:
-The 55 gr ball loads both had the same point of impact as each other - as expected.  
-The 55 gr ball loads both high by about 1.2 inches, which is expected for a 200 yard zero, and pretty good.
-Interestingly, the 75 gr, had about the same 200 yard point of impact as 55 ball did, and used the same zero.  But here at 100 yards, the rounds went high - with 2.5 MOA vertical offset - twice as high as the 55 ball went.  All I can guess is that the gun is recoiling more with the heavier bullet, causing more muzzle rise before it leaves, but that it so happens that slower/heavier 75's arc back down to the same POI as the faster 55's do at 200 yards.  But you do see the difference at the 100 yard line.  Note this isn't something calculators show - they don't take account that heavier bullets recoil more, and often have the muzzle pointed higher than lighter bullets do - you have to put rounds on paper to see this.  The good news is that 2.5 inches high is still going to be a hit on most targets at 100 yards - but not necessarily all.  If shooting at a squirrel, you could go high with a 75 gr bullet using a 55 gr bullet's 200 yard zero.  Yet, if you shoot at that same squirrel at 200 yards, you'll likely hit it with both (if you do your part).  Interesting.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
50 yard line data - using 200 yard zero from the light 55 gr ball.
1 MOA extreme spread, 1/2 MOA AtC.  Verticle offset is 0.2 inches, or about 0.4 MOA.  Meaning a zero at 200 yards is pretty close to a zero at 50 yards.  Interestingly, there's about .8" (1.5 MOA) horizontal offset.  Not sure why, but I'm guessing the 200 yard zero actually has wind on it, and wind effects pretty much go away this close.

Other lot of 55 ball (slightly hotter)
0.67 MOA, 0.294 MOA AtC.
Vertical offset was 0.3" low (0.6 MOA).  So basically as before the 200 yard zero is hitting pretty close to zero here at 50 yards.

62 gr ball - no data

75 gr match at 50 yards (200 yard zero)
Interestingly the group size was pretty bad.  not sure why, I've heard that long match bullet can wobble at short range, and don't settle out until they get out there a bit, so who knows.
2.4MOA extreme spread, and 1.1MOA AtC
1.2" (2.2 MOA) vertical offset.  This was interesting - a lot more vertical offset than I was expecting for just 50 years.

50 yard line conclusions.
-For the 55 ball, the 50 yard zero is pretty close to the 200 yard zero.  We also see that apparently the wind was enough to be pushing the bullets to the side at the 200 yard line today.
-75 gr match still has a pretty significant vertical offset at the 50 yard line, when using the 200 yard zero.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
25 yard line results (using 200 yard zero)
55 gr ball light load.  1 hole group.  Ok it's 2 shots at 25 yards, so a little hard to get smug about group size here - but still, it does look nice :)
Not reporting the performance data - it's a 2 shot group.  Point is to see the offset.  Which is 1.2 inches low, or around 4.5 MOA.  We are close enough now that we are seeing the effect of the barrel being so much lower than the optic here.  

The other 55 ball load showed the same results, and no data for the 75 or 62 loads at this range.  (kind of a bummer actually, since 75 gr behavior was so different than 55 at the <200 yard line, wish I hadn't run out by the time I made it to the 25 yard line).

Conclusions at the 25 yard line:  
[div style='margin-left: 40px;']-The 200 yard zero isn't that bad - impact is only about 1.5" low.  For anything other than very small game, straight hold isn't going to be that bad.  

Overall conclusions:

-Zeroing 55 ball at 50 yards is basically the same as zeroing at 200 yards.  And that zero will give direct hold impact within 1.5" of hold for everything from about 25 yards out to about 200 (probably 225 ish) yards.  That's why I like the 200 yard zero, it gives a tight impact-to-hold, over about 200 yards of span.  Compared to the more popular 300 yard zero, which tends to zoom too high at 100 yards for my tastes.
-55, 62 and 75 gr loads all have pretty similar 200 yard zero.  And 62 isn't greatly different than 55 gr at 100 yards either.  However, 75 gr loads tend to shoot higher than 55 gr loads at 50 and 100 yards - should the common 200 yard zero be used.
-The AUG isn't a half bad little shooter.  Accuracy hovered around 1 to 2 MOA for the handloads, and sometimes even better.  This was with a simple 3X scope, and the less than perfect AUG trigger - though I used a NeuTrigger on this day, which helps.
-Total round count to date through the AUG: 200

Next tests will be to focus more on the snap shooting and speed.  It may be a while before I get to that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:06:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Today I tested some different mag pouches.  An AUG 30 round mag fits in the same slots as an AR Mag fine, using this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939189814/midwayusa-4-magazine-pouch-ar-15-and-ak-47-rifle?cm_vc=ProductFinding

A 42 round fits as well, but the velcro won't close, making that not ideal.

Someone said an AUG 42 is the same length as an AK 30.  So I checked:

Turns out, it really is a lot closer than I thought.  The AUG 42 is about a quarter inch longer.

So, I tried an old AK chest Rig:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SURPLUS-CHINESE-TPYE-81-AK-CHEST-RIG-AMMO-POUCH-31270/826626306.html
And sure enough, it does fit:

But pretty snug.

There is tension on the keeper in fact.  So it's not ideal in the AK chest rig, but does fit and it does clasp.

By the way, to the age old question of: "How many Mags do I need?".  The answer appears to be before us.  For a long time, 3 30 round mags plus one in the gun was enough.  I know some folks like to buy many dozens of mags, but for the longest time, if you had 4 quality 30 round mags, you were pretty much set - and so the Chinese and Vietnamese ordinance departments thought as well.  I have never needed more than 4.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#6]
How many mags do you need?  

Well, lets take a look at "combat load outs" I have carried.   Then ask yourself, if you are a civilian, do you need even close to that?  

Basic load out when was in the US Army = 210 rounds.  Six thirty round mags in two ammo pouches, plus one with the rifle.  This was standard issue when I was in a Ranger Bat.

When in Kosovo, for my go to rig, had 8 Thirty round mags for the M-4 in a  tactical tailor vest.  Plus had the Beretta with two spare mags.  

When  I was in Iraq = 9 thirty round mags on the vest, plus one mag in the rifle.  One 15 round Mag for the SIG 226, and 3 extra mags as backup.

For awhile was carrying the M249 SAW in Iraq. Had 200 round with the SAW, one extra 200 round box attached to myself, and had 6 thirty round mags on the vest as well (found these heavy duty steel, made in Singapore mags we had, worked flawlessly in the SAW, and in a pinch were quicker to reload if you had to compared to loading another box of linked 5.56mm)  

For Law Enforcement personnel I trained in Cambodia, doing border patrols in protected areas combatting illegal loggers, poachers, drug traffickers?  One thirty round AK mag loaded with 25 rounds is what most of the conservation rangers had. That is it.   For me, one thirty round mag for a AR-15 and one twenty round mag in reserve.    For the military police or border patrol police or RCAF attached, their load out was as above - three AK mags plus one AK mag in the pouch.

In other words, 2-3 mags for most civilian self defense applications will be more than over kill.  For a civilians  "bug out bag" for the AUG - I think a AK mag pouch chest rig with three 30/42 mags would be more than adequate.  Plus a trusted side arm with a couple mags and don't see any issue.   Hec, for a bug out bag, I would spend more money and space in a ruck for medical supplies, toilet paper, water pure tablets, and food than I would ammo.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I see a difference between how many mags you may need vs how many you should have.

You only need one pair of shoes, but how many shoes do you have?

10 mags minimum per gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't know how this morphed from group tests to magazine possession; anyhow:

Greatly appreciate and thanks to all those who post accuracy tests (especially the 200 yard tests), but, as others have also posted in the past:

PLEASE

For those not already doing it, consider shooting more meaningful group tests; five shots minimum, with ten shots total on one group even better.

Much like 50 yard testing, three shot groups really don't provide much to judge from.  NRA tests with five, five shot groups, and averages them.

Once read an article where the author tested six .308 rifles; fired one 3 shot group from each, then ranked them for accuracy.  
Six guns tested on less than one box of ammo!

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know how this morphed from group tests to magazine possession; anyhow:

Greatly appreciate and thanks to all those who post accuracy tests (especially the 200 yard tests), but, as others have also posted in the past:

PLEASE

For those not already doing it, consider shooting more meaningful group tests; five shots minimum, with ten shots total on one group even better.

Much like 50 yard testing, three shot groups really don't provide much to judge from.  NRA tests with five, five shot groups, and averages them.

Once read an article where the author tested six .308 rifles; fired one 3 shot group from each, then ranked them for accuracy.  
Six guns tested on less than one box of ammo!

View Quote

True, but it was done more as an indicator then a definitive performance trial.  As it so happens, I did about 3 or 4 five shot groups at 200 with the 55 ball load that day, all giving about the same performance results.  The purpose of the tests really was to monitor point of impact affects of different loads at different ranges, and simple 3 shot groups were adequate to get the degree of data I wanted for that analysis.  For this gun, this ammo, and these goals - it was good enough.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Target Sports is having a good sale on this case - though it doesn't come with all the pockets pictured, just the 3 mag item.

FYI, here's what an 18 looks like in it

This looks more like a case for a 20" BBL AUG, but it fits good all the same.  For owners of 16" AUG's, I'd look at 28" cases.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Installed a Giles Wilderness Tactical sling. $13 for a pretty cool sling: How could I say no?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/111569230925

Mixed emotions on it.  It's a heavy weight sling (for already a heavy gun), and is more complicated than simple strap.  And can get underfoot if you're not familiar with it (which I'm not).  But it's also pretty neat, because you can hang the rifle by your side in a patrol mans hold with this sling, and still shoulders very quickly.

I mounted it on the right side of the rifle, to keep it from interfering with cocking operations.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Fired 50 rounds at 50 yards.  Some ball reloads, some IMI M193.  No failures of any kind.  Typical 50 yard performance was similar to this:

Cleaned the rifle.  Which basically consists of cleaning the barrel, gas cylinder and gas piston.  Rest of gun stays so clean, it doesn't really need anything.  Heck, even that was optional - I'm pretty sure this is one of those rifles you can run hundreds if not thousands of rounds between cleanings.

Total Round Count: 250
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:58:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Target Sports is having a good sale on this case - though it doesn't come with all the pockets pictured, just the 3 mag item.
http://www.targetsportsusa.com/images/Product/large/54117.jpg

FYI, here's what an 18 looks like in it
http://i59.tinypic.com/1nzo7b.jpg

This looks more like a case for a 20" BBL AUG, but it fits good all the same.  For owners of 16" AUG's, I'd look at 28" cases.

View Quote

Here's a review of the perfect case for a 16" AUG:
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=7218.0

I ordered one off Amazon based on that review; cost me just a little over $60.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Yesterday's range results,
ammo was 62gr Carl Gustof

The 1st target was from a bench rest @ 100yds, the 2nd was standing double taps @ 50 yds

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh my.  If I read that right, that's a 30 shot string with an extreme spread of about 2" at 100 yards.  That's exceptional.  I can barely do that with match ammo in a 5 shot string.  Apparently I need to find some of this "Carl Gustof" ammo!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Oh my.  If I read that right, that's a 30 shot string with an extreme spread of about 2" at 100 yards.  That's exceptional.  I can barely do that with match ammo in a 5 shot string.  Apparently I need to find some of this "Carl Gustof" ammo!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

we've got a thread going on it here...http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/649168_Carl_Gustaf_NATO_5_56X45__223_62grn.html

it runs hot and is smoky but AUG users have had no problems

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

3.5" with 3 fliers (6.5"-7" with the fliers)
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:29:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those two shots way off to the left are part of that group?   Ouch.  Funny thing about fliers, you never know when the next one is going to be.  After reading up on the Carl Gustof ammo - not a chance.  A steel jacketed bullet over a steel core, with no soft lead layer to take the deformation; fired at high pressure?  Barrel life must be measured in the hundreds of rounds, rather than thousands!  Forget that, especially since it's not even cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:44:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Those two shots way off to the left are part of that group?   Ouch.  Funny thing about fliers, you never know when the next one is going to be.  After reading up on the Carl Gustof ammo - not a chance.  A steel jacketed bullet over a steel core, with no soft lead layer to take the deformation; fired at high pressure?  Barrel life must be measured in the hundreds of rounds, rather than thousands!  Forget that, especially since it's not even cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its a copper jacket with 7n1 type hard soft penetrator. As for the flyers I assumed they are mine but I was sharing the 100yd bench with other people so who knows.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#20]
2/8/2015 - fired 10 rounds of IMI M193 ammo at 50 yards.  no failures of any kind.  Zero seemed close enough

Total Round Count: 260
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I was on the edge, then another member of AR15.com got one, to my exact specs of interest - and posted this picture.  

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag167/jeffro556/augstump2_zps5ca70179.jpg

(Photo stolen from 62GMC: come to Texas and beers shall be had)

By they way, they only made 200 of the 18" BBL's, so glad I did it this way, as waiting could have been costly.

-The quick-change barrel removal.  LOVE this.  OK, doubt I'll ever have multiple barrels,

-The 1/9 twist rate.  This is a raging debate, but the fact of the matter is my intention for this gun is to shooting 55 gr FMJ up to 75 gr Match bullets.  I have no intention of shooting extra long tracers in arctic conditions, and 1/9 stabilizes 75 gr.  1/9 is more inherently accurate with a broader spectrum of 55 and 62 gr bullets than 1/7 (excessive RPM's cause bullets with an imperfect 2nd Moment of Inertia (i.e. cheap) to wobble and corkscrew in flight)

View Quote
Next time I'm ever down in TX, I'll have to remember the offer.

Only 200?  Now I'm even more glad I got one.  I wonder if they're going to make more.

I still want the 24" w/ bipod too.  Looks sweet.

Mainly 55 and 62 for me.  I've had it out shooting only a few times so far, and wasn't able to spend a lot of time, so I still need to get it sighted in.  (Terrible I know)  Once the weather gets a bit nicer, I'll see what groups I can manage.  

One thing I plan to fix so far on mine is to do just a tad bit of rounding of the safety switch corners with a file.  That thing has some sharp edges.  Make it a little more in line with the smoothness of the rest of the rifle.

I'd like to get a 10 rnd mag for bench shooting too.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#22]
im partial to pelican cases
AUG CQC A3
breaks down nicely and the 10 mags fit perfectly.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Ordered a RatWorx 2020 sear - might as well since one was available.  Installation wasn't what I'd call a snap,  but doable.

So like everyone says,  the creep and reset are massively better.   But for reasons I don't understand,  the weight went back up - to about 8# 5oz or so.   That's pretty heavy.  
Neu was around 7# (still heavy)

I haven't decide which is the better trade.   To be honest,  I'm kind of leaning towards Neutrigger.  But I'll try this on the range and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I have one of each, in both of my 18" Augs. To be honest, I cannot feel the difference - both are an improvement over factory trigger.  But, i would advise getting the Neu-trigger since cost is substantially less, much much easier to install and does pretty much the same thing as far as i can tell.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have one of each, in both of my 18" Augs. To be honest, I cannot feel the difference - both are an improvement over factory trigger.  But, i would advise getting the Neu-trigger since cost is substantially less, much much easier to install and does pretty much the same thing as far as i can tell.
View Quote

That's kind of my advice.  They are both much better, and Neu is a lot more cost effective.

I guess I can tell the difference between Neu and 2020, but the trade off is really close.  The thing I don't get, is why the heck is 2020 heavier than the Neutrigger?  Ok, the Neutrigger has a thickness to it, and a slick polish to it, which apparently is helping somehow with the weight (and also in theory adds slightly to the creep though).  So why didn't they just change the dimensions and polish 2020 a scosche more, to give you the advantage of the lighter Neutrigger, combined with their better creep control?  I'm tempted to put a Neutrigger on a 2020, but from what everyone says, combining trigger mods is a really really bad idea, so I haven't.

On another note, the AUG spare parts kit I ordered with the trigger, has an extractor that looks like it was cast is someone's garage.  Appalled that someone did something funny here, I pulled apart my AUG, and sure enough, same thing.  Steyr apparently has decided that lumpy cast extractors are indeed the way to go.  It works, so I guess that's all that matters.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's kind of my advice.  They are both much better, and Neu is a lot more cost effective.

I guess I can tell the difference between Neu and 2020, but the trade off is really close.  The thing I don't get, is why the heck is 2020 heavier than the Neutrigger?  Ok, the Neutrigger has a thickness to it, and a slick polish to it, which apparently is helping somehow with the weight (and also in theory adds slightly to the creep though).  So why didn't they just change the dimensions and polish 2020 a scosche more, to give you the advantage of the lighter Neutrigger, combined with their better creep control?  I'm tempted to put a Neutrigger on a 2020, but from what everyone says, combining trigger mods is a really really bad idea, so I haven't.

On another note, the AUG spare parts kit I ordered with the trigger, has an extractor that looks like it was cast is someone's garage.  Appalled that someone did something funny here, I pulled apart my AUG, and sure enough, same thing.  Steyr apparently has decided that lumpy cast extractors are indeed the way to go.  It works, so I guess that's all that matters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too have the 2020 mod in my NATO AUG.  I can definitely live with this trigger now.  However, I too have thought about the Neutrigger mod, but I figured the 2020 negated this option as I hadn't heard anyone speak about it.  So...has no one tried an NT in combo with a 2020?  I just figured there was some dimensional issue introduced by the 2020 versus the OEM unit...but maybe not.  I don't think combining trigger mods is a no-go in itself as long as they don't contribute to an unsafe condition.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Fired around 70 rounds through my AUG today.  Both 200 yard shooting, and run & gun shooting.  

200 yard shooting went well.  It's remarkable how well this gun holds zero, even after pulling the barrel out and putting it back in.  I'll post a photo, but happy with the groupings.

The run and gun is a new realm for me, and man that stuff is fun.  But I don't really know the normal system.  I put out 8 targets at about 25-30 yards.  A brought a 16" light weight profile M4 and my AUG.

Course of fire was to load 15 rounds each into two mags.  Start a timer.  Engage double taps on each target at distance (with obviously only 1 round on the last one).  Then drop mag, grab second mag, and run to 10 yards, load, and repeat.

The M4 had a 2.5X Primary Arms CQB scope.  It's a great scope for this.

The AUG had a 3X, and for this type shooting, I can see how the 1.5 has the appeal. Because I was just a second or so slower with the AUG, it does take a bit longer to acquire the next target and recoil recover, than a lighter power.  The 8# AUG trigger doesn't help, even with the 2020 sear.  But wow, what a rush, double taping is fun.  Mag reloads weren't really an issue, I didn't even notice it.

The M4 had a light weight profile barrel, and that sucker heated up and was smoking in no time.  The AUG barrel really never got that hot, and never smoked.  

Total round count: 330

Edit to add, updated with photos from the range:

3 shot groups, but even so, I'm pretty impressed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#29]
You will be MUCH FASTER with a true 1x optic, whether it be an Aimpoint, or a 1-4 or 1-6 variable set at 1x.
It is this style of shooting which stops me from getting an AUG optic, and sticking with the rail only version.

There is nothing the AUG optic does that isn't done better with other optics. Great 1980-90's technology, but outdated now.
If Steyr want to go to the next generation, then they need to build a 1-3 or 4x ruggedized, illuminated optic, with NV settings.

Mick

Quoted:
Fired around 70 rounds through my AUG today.  Both 200 yard shooting, and run & gun shooting.  

200 yard shooting went well.  It's remarkable how well this gun holds zero, even after pulling the barrel out and putting it back in.  I'll post a photo, but happy with the groupings.

The run and gun is a new realm for me, and man that stuff is fun.  But I don't really know the normal system.  I put out 8 targets at about 25-30 yards.  A brought a 16" light weight profile M4 and my AUG.

Course of fire was to load 15 rounds each into two mags.  Start a timer.  Engage double taps on each target at distance (with obviously only 1 round on the last one).  Then drop mag, grab second mag, and run to 10 yards, load, and repeat.

The AUG had a 3X, and for this type shooting, I can see how the 1.5 has the appeal. Because I was just a second or so slower with the AUG, it does take a bit longer to acquire the next target and recoil recover, than a lighter power.  The 8# AUG trigger doesn't help, even with the 2020 sear.  But wow, what a rush, double taping is fun.  Mag reloads weren't really an issue, I didn't even notice it.

The M4 had a light weight profile barrel, and that sucker heated up and was smoking in no time.  The AUG barrel really never got that hot, and never smoked.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You will be MUCH FASTER with a true 1x optic, whether it be an Aimpoint, or a 1-4 or 1-6 variable set at 1x.
It is this style of shooting which stops me from getting an AUG optic, and sticking with the rail only version.

There is nothing the AUG optic does that isn't done better with other optics. Great 1980-90's technology, but outdated now.
If Steyr want to go to the next generation, then they need to build a 1-3 or 4x ruggedized, illuminated optic, with NV settings.

Mick

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mick

Quoted:

I agree. I run a super sniper 1-4x on my aug and wouldn't have it any other way unless steyr made an optic specifically in 1-3/4x. The 3x is nice but up close you have too much magnification and the 1.5 is too little magnification for long range shots...
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#31]
8/1/2015 update.  Fired 50 rounds of various handloads and factory loads.  No failures of any kind.  Performance details and notes below.

High Power service rifle targets set up at 200 yards, fired from a bench in 5 shot groups.  Used the integrated 3X scope that comes with the A3M1.  A photo of the view is shown below.

(inverted, these pictures are tough to do with an iPhone)

Interestingly, the reticle seemed a bit fuzzy at home in short range, but was extremely solid and clear at 200 yards today.

Frankly, these groups should be taken with a grain of salt.  It was difficult to allign that low power scope well and hold on target at 200 yards with that trigger.  I suspect these groups are more of a limitation of the user ability to hold, than the loading and AUG itself.  But to report it anyway, this is the Average of multiple groups fired:

55 gr Hornady ball with 23.6 gr IMR3031: 1.5 MOA, (0.55 MOA Avg2Center)
Wolf Gold 55 ball: 2.0 MOA, (0.68 MOA  A2C)  (Link to photo of one of the groupings)
American Eagle 50 gr Varmint: 1.9 MOA, (0.70 MOA A2C) (Link to photo of one of the groupings)
All 3 ammo's had essentially the same point of impact

For more data: single string of 5 shot results of some additional loads tested
75 gr Hornady match handloads with RE15: 1.85 MOA; (0.713 MOA A2C) - impact was ~ 1 MOA higher than 55 ball loads. (Link to photo of grouping -  not3 higher point of impact compact)
80 gr Sierra Match King - long single-load National Match loads: (4.2 MOA, 1.5 A2C) (one shot missing, later found on next target) ~ 3 MOA higher than 55 ball loads. Link to photo of grouping - note poor accuracy and high PoI)
36 gr Barnes solid handload with Re12: 2.5 MOA, (0.864 A2C).  ~ 3 MOA lower than 55 ball loads.

As a side note: The heavier the bullet, the more the brass was found to the side.  The lighter the bullet, the further to the rear the brass landed.

Conclusions:
-Wolf Gold and American Eagle varmint 50 gr loads were both good rounds at about 2 MOA accuracy. (Considering both can be had for about 30 cents right now, either are recommended buys to stock up.)  They did not outperform the indicated 55 gr Hornady handload though. (I had expected the American Eagle to do so, but then, this may just be shooter limitation).
-Heavier rounds (i.e 75 and 80 gr) impact higher at 200 yards (likely due to recoil lifting the muzzle).  
-The AUG 1/9 BBL stabilizes 75 gr bullets just fine, but does not stabilize the 80 gr bullet sufficiently for it to group (no surprise - though they weren't keyholing - which I was half expecting).

Total round count: 380
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#32]
you should try out the ADI/Australian Outback 69gr SMK load ( I know, i post this group a lot)

10 rounds

20" AUGA1; 1:9

1.5x factory optic, plain donut of death reticle

ADI 69gr

100 yds

and i think those heavier bullets are hitting higher because they have much higher ballistic coefficients than the lighter rounds you were shooting

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#33]
8/17/2015 update.  Fired 60 rounds in scenario drills.  No failures of any kind.

Did some drills involving 50 yard off-hand shooting, followed by running up to 10 yards reload, and rapid engagement.  Used mostly 55 gr ball loads, and full 30 round magazines, and partial 42 round magazines.  Observed that off-hand the AUG was able to accurately hit plate sized targets at 50 yards quickly, with the scope working well, and that distance being about the zero-distance of the scope (a 200 yard zero crosses close at 50 yards too).  

Found the gun to handle very well during running, with the free hand able to easily extract the fresh magazine from a pocket, while the main hand stabilized the well balanced rifle while afoot.  Reloads went smoothly.  Did not experience any issues getting magazines to seat quickly and reliably, nor any issues of round jumps upon insertion.  Though did have a round pop out when I dropped a loaded mag on the concrete - not a concern.  

At 10 yard engagement, all shots went low.  Which is not surprising, since the bore is ~3" below the scope.  Shot recovery is also slightly slower at 10 yards, than it would be with a lower power scope.  I tried point firing (unaimed) super-rapid fire into one of the targets, figuring 4 super quick trigger pulls at 10 yards would equal 2 quick but slightly aimed shots.  I figured wrong.  (this isn't a platform issue, so much as shooter technique/learning issue).

This is the funnest style shooting ever.  Rifle put away without additional cleaning or lubrication.

Total round count: 440
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
8/1/2015 update.  Fired 50 rounds of various handloads and factory loads.  No failures of any kind.  Performance details and notes below.

High Power service rifle targets set up at 200 yards, fired from a bench in 5 shot groups.  Used the integrated 3X scope that comes with the A3M1.  A photo of the view is shown below.

(inverted, these pictures are tough to do with an iPhone)
http://i61.tinypic.com/2507dxt.jpg
Interestingly, the reticle seemed a bit fuzzy at home in short range, but was extremely solid and clear at 200 yards today.

Frankly, these groups should be taken with a grain of salt.  It was difficult to allign that low power scope well and hold on target at 200 yards with that trigger.  I suspect these groups are more of a limitation of the user ability to hold, than the loading and AUG itself.  But to report it anyway, this is the Average of multiple groups fired:

Wolf Gold 55 ball: 2.0 MOA, (0.68 MOA  A2C)  (Link to photo of one of the groupings)
American Eagle 50 gr Varmint: 1.9 MOA, (0.70 MOA A2C) (Link to photo of one of the groupings)

75 gr Hornady match handloads with RE15: 1.85 MOA; (0.713 MOA A2C) - impact was ~ 1 MOA higher than 55 ball loads. (Link to photo of grouping -  not3 higher point of impact compact)
80 gr Sierra Match King - long single-load National Match loads: (4.2 MOA, 1.5 A2C) (one shot missing, later found on next target) ~ 3 MOA higher than 55 ball loads. Link to photo of grouping - note poor accuracy and high PoI)
36 gr Barnes solid handload with Re12: 2.5 MOA, (0.864 A2C).  ~ 3 MOA lower than 55 ball loads.

As a side note: The heavier the bullet, the more the brass was found to the side.  The lighter the bullet, the further to the rear the brass landed.

Conclusions:
-Wolf Gold and American Eagle varmint 50 gr loads were both good rounds at about 2 MOA accuracy. (Considering both can be had for about 30 cents right now, either are recommended buys to stock up.)  They did not outperform the indicated 55 gr Hornady handload though. (I had expected the American Eagle to do so, but then, this may just be shooter limitation).
-Heavier rounds (i.e 75 and 80 gr) impact higher at 200 yards (likely due to recoil lifting the muzzle).  
-The AUG 1/9 BBL stabilizes 75 gr bullets just fine, but does not stabilize the 80 gr bullet sufficiently for it to group (no surprise - though they weren't keyholing - which I was half expecting).

Total round count: 380
View Quote

Mine groups like that, but at 100 yards.
Does your barrel have any wiggle to it?
Mine does, but I've been told it is normal.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you say" groups like that, but at 100 yards": you are aware results are posted as MOA?  So yes, that would be expected for yours to have similar MOA groupings at 100 yards.  On the other hand, if you are suggesting your rifle is shooting ~4" 5-shot groups at 100 yards (WITH GOOD AMMO), then yes, something is amiss with your rifle.  Have a friend who is a known-good rifleman try it, and have him use several brands of good quality ammo to do so.   If your rifle can't beat 2.5 MOA on average with any good quality ammo at all, then I would contact Steyr.  (obviously if you are using crap like Wolf Steel or 62 gr ball ammo - then this does not apply)

As to wiggle, I haven't really noticed any.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#36]
9/7/2015 updated.  Fired 100 rounds of CCI Lawman M193 + 5 rounds of Wolf Steel.  No failures of any kind.

Also, the Wolf steel fired fine.  I won't make that regular food for it, but it was laying around.  Tested the Grenade setting (Actually, since steel doesn't spring back quite like brass, I did this on purpose to get a decent chamber impression, via that steel casing).  As expected, it was difficult to extract the fired steel casing by hand, but using the mortar technique, it popped out just fine.  Turned gas setting back to normal, and fired the rest of the steel and other ammo.

Observed that the Lawman seemed to be shooting low at just 50 yards.  This frustrated me, as I thought the rifle was zeroed for 200 yards, which equaled 50 yards - as demonstrated in prior posts to this thread.  To recap, prior testing showed that 55 ball had the following arc for a 200 yard zero (which it was supposed to still be at):

25 yards - 4.5 MOA low (~1.2" low)
50 yards - ~ spot on
100 yards - 1.2 MOA high (~1.2")
200 yards - ~ spot on.
(note this was as fired from sandbags with front of rifle being supported under the stock - not with the vertical fore grip, which contacts the barrel)

So my expectation was that at 50 yards I would be spot on.  But my 50 yard offhand shooting was all coming in low, maybe 2-3" low.  So I did a spot-bench style shooting, this time resting the gun on the vertical fore-grip. Confirmed, the CCI was hitting 4 MOA (2") low at 50 yards.  To check, shot at 100 yards, and there it was hitting 2 MOA low.  Not as terrible, but that's still ~3.5 MOA lower than it should have been hitting at 100 yards, per my above prior data and nominal expectation from ballistic charts and experience.

THEN, I remembered that (as posted prior in this thread even - geez), the CCI Lawman naturally shoots lower in this AUG.  So another string was shown at 100 with different ammo, and this was about 1.5 MOA low.  So still low.  Somewhere the gun zero drifted down by 2-3 MOA.  This annoys me, but perhaps I just need to have a beer and relax, since this was mostly with non-typically used ammo that's I know moves around a lot.  So I'm probably over-analyzing this.  I'm not sure if this is normal, if it has to do with using the VFG as the rifle rest, or what.  To do: return to the range with my more typical 55 ball, and see where the zero really is, at 50 and 100 yards (200 if time allows).  

Rifle has been cleaned and now and has 2 more clicks of vertical elevation on.  (which I need to confirm how many clicks = how much MOA).  Upon cleaning, noticed the foam bore cleaner turned blue to a degree, indicating there was a good amount of copper fouling in that barrel from this outing.

Total round count: 545

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#37]
you can't expect a different load to have the same POI as what you zero'd with.  bullet BC, velocity, even temperate differences will all come into play.  you may also be pulling down slightly on the vfg when you fire
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#38]
9/13/2015 updated.  Fired 75 rounds of various loads.  No failures of any kind.

Conducted a serious of bench tests at 200 yards in order to determine point of impact as a function of ammunition fired.  This was done in part because I observed M193 hitting almost 4 MOA lower than my own 55 gr ball handloads on a prior outing.  Test results (Shown below) indicate this result is consistent and not likely an indicator of zero-drift.  Results are discussed in depth in a separate thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/451151_Steyr_AUG_point_of_impact_study___results_summarized.html

(note, target is for 200 yards, and grids are in inches.  MOA is roughly half the number of grids)

Total round count: 620
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Fired 30 rounds of mild ball and 75 gr match ammo.  No failures of any kind.

Observed the above mentioned zero's are still fairly true.  Double checked zero's and photographed dial sight settings, as a reference for sight settings when shooting in the future.  Also, did the semi-common trick of rigged up some Velcro on the side, and a more Velcro on a small piece of plastic - as a stock-store-able case deflector.  I can't say I care for left hand shooting an AUG, as your cheek weld is still weird.  But it worked.  Did some run and gun shooting as well - close range.  In comparison to an M4, the recoil/return to fire of an AUG was really pleasant.  It wants to get back on target and is really easy to squeeze of shoots while on your feet and moving around.  Downrange performance wasn't any better, just felt more fun with the AUG.

For bench testing, a shorter AUG magazine than the 30 is serviceable, but at times a shorter 20 round would probably be better.   Rifle still not cleaned, and put away that way.

Total Round count: 650
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#40]
9/21/2015 update:  Fired 30 rounds of mixed Wolf and 75 gr reloads.  No failures of any kind.

Today wanted to Chronograph some more ammo in the 18" BBL.  

Wolf Gold: 3040fps
75 gr mild handloads: 2533

The handloads are ridiculously slow, even though the recoil is considerably more pronounced.  I'll be adjusting that load.  

Wolf Gold is decently close to expectations.  Perhaps around 50 fps less than I would have anticipated.  For reference, the CCI Lawman (which is basically M193) chrono'd at a zippy 3200 FPS out of the AUG in prior tests, or about 160 FPS faster than the Wolf Gold.

Total Round count: 680
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:01:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

9/21/2015 update:  Fired 30 rounds of mixed Wolf and 75 gr reloads.  No failures of any kind.

Today wanted to Chronograph some more ammo in the 18" BBL.  

Wolf Gold: 3040fps

75 gr mild handloads: 2533

The handloads are ridiculously slow, even though the recoil is considerably more pronounced.  I'll be adjusting that load.  

Wolf Gold is decently close to expectations.  Perhaps around 50 fps less than I would have anticipated.  For reference, the CCI Lawman (which is basically M193) chrono'd at a zippy 3200 FPS out of the AUG in prior tests, or about 160 FPS faster than the Wolf Gold.

Total Round count: 680
View Quote

do you have any velocity info for rounds out of the AR you used in that POI test?  it would be interesting to compare velocities between the AUG and the AR (even though the AUG barrel is 2" longer)

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you pick up your AUG spare parts kit?
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RATWORX.  Pete has them too.  Availability can be spotty, just check back from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#44]
10/17/2015 update: Fired 100 rounds of mixed reloads, 3-gun style.  No failures of any kind.  

Had to adjust sights 1 click left.  But then, this could have been due to the mixed ammo.

A couple usage observations:
1) Observed that if ease the bolt close, rather than let fly, it can fail to go into battery (common to most guns - no surprises).  Tried testing the "forward assist", by rotating the handle up, and pushing forward.  But that didn't work, maybe I misunderstand, and it does not work that way.  In any event, we finally just pulled the bolt back about half way, and let it go, then it closed.  No issues there.

2) One usage item of note, hurt my left thumb this week in a biking incident (it'll be fine).  The AUG mag release is quite left-thumb dependent.  So to change mags on the run, had to use right hand instead, using the fingers wrapped under the mag release, and then shake out the mag.  It actually worked quite well, as the mag's drop free.  But if the mag stuck, that could have been an additional moments delay.

Total round count: 700

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#45]
try using the spine of the fresh mag to work the mag release
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#46]
This thread has motivated me to pull the trigger (pun intended) on an AUGA3M1 with the high rail in mud. Got the LEO price from the dealer and it will be here next week. My plan is to put a T1 in a TBD LaRue mount on it and also buy "HK" or "Micro" irons as back up. Surefire 300U as the light and VTAC sling as the sling. I want to do something similar with keeping a log / diary as I put the rifle through its paces. I also want to put an IR laser on it and try some NVG shooting. I hit both CDNN and 44 mag for magazines. Do you prefer the 30 or the 42 rounders?
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This thread has motivated me to pull the trigger (pun intended) on an AUGA3M1 with the high rail in mud. Got the LEO price from the dealer and it will be here next week. My plan is to put a T1 in a TBD LaRue mount on it and also buy "HK" or "Micro" irons as back up. Surefire 300U as the light and VTAC sling as the sling. I want to do something similar with keeping a log / diary as I put the rifle through its paces. I also want to put an IR laser on it and try some NVG shooting. I hit both CDNN and 44 mag for magazines. Do you prefer the 30 or the 42 rounders?
View Quote

Neat!

I use 30's.  I like the 42's and the fact they are cheaper than 30's, but what I actually find myself using more, are the 30's.  I think if you get 6 30's and 4 42's, you're set for life.  More won't hurt.  If you get 3 30's and 2 42's, you'll be fine.  Less then that is a little tight.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Neat!

I use 30's.  I like the 42's and the fact they are cheaper than 30's, but what I actually find myself using more, are the 30's.  I think if you get 6 30's and 4 42's, you're set for life.  More won't hurt.  If you get 3 30's and 2 42's, you'll be fine.  Less then that is a little tight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neat!

Thanks. I tend to go overboard on Mags so i'll probably end up with 30 or so!!!!

Have you shot yours prone yet? im curious if the 42s interfere with going prone or if you can mono pod it and still stay low?
once my rifle gets here im going to try various LaRue mounts for the ideal height. im thinking the Micros are the best height for irons.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#49]
11/08/2015 update: Fired 85 rounds of mixed reloads, 3-gun style. I ammunition induced no fire, when it's primer fell out during cycling.

A friend was having a difficult time with his M4, due to his loads (misfires, FTE, etc).  We tried them in my AUG, and on the second shot, the live primer fell out of his bad reload, and cause a failure to fire upon pulling the trigger.  I always wondered what happened in an AUG if a primer pops out.  Basically it's no big deal in an AUG, it doesn't end up locking the gun up, which can happen in an AR.  But, as good as the AUG is, they don't tend to fire if the round is missing its primer.

(After about 5 rounds, gave friend the rest of his ammo back).

Total round count: 785
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Great update and here's where I sit with mine. It's an AUG A3M1 long rail in the mud color. I added Troy micro HK buis and a T1 in the LaRue 660HK mount. I experimented with this mount, the regular height LaRue mount and the lowest T1 mount LaRue makes . The HK was perfect height and also allows the best cheek weld for me. I also mounted a VTAC padded along in coyote. Light is an X300U. I'm debating on if I want o remote switch it to the vertical grip. Spent the weekend practicing mag exchanges and dry fire up drills. I can get perfectly prone with the 30 round magazines. With the 42 it works like a mono pod but if I cant the weapon I can get as low as my kit allows. Shooting it either Wednesday or Thursday this week. Plan on zeroing it and then running various drills with it - navy qual, MEUSOC drill and etc. want to shoot about 600 rounds or so.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top