Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 8:27:16 PM EDT
My MSAR E4 is a great rifle. I also have a bunch of Magpul Gen3 mags that I use with my AR's. In looking at the MSAR, it appears that all is needed to get the Gen3s to fit is remove a small amount of material from each side of the mag well. As anyone tried this? Would I need to do any other modifications to the stock?

I know I can grind the insertion lab on the mags but I would prefer to just modify the stock and be done with it so I can use any mag I happen to have.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:52:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My MSAR E4 is a great rifle. I also have a bunch of Magpul Gen3 mags that I use with my AR's. In looking at the MSAR, it appears that all is needed to get the Gen3s to fit is remove a small amount of material from each side of the mag well. As anyone tried this? Would I need to do any other modifications to the stock?

I know I can grind the insertion lab on the mags but I would prefer to just modify the stock and be done with it so I can use any mag I happen to have.
View Quote

Tried it, but aborted the job.

I got to a point where I felt too much material was being removed from the stock and the Gen 3 mags still weren't releasing freely.

I just traded all my Gen 3s for Gen 2s and called it a day. Didn't want two different kinds of mags around that didn't work in both my ARs and MSAR.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:37:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I was going to try filing the over-insertion tab on a mag today,might hold off now that I read this.I always heard you should modify the cheapest part first..I will measure a Gen 2 vs. a Gen 3 and figure something out maybe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a few Gen 2s but the majority of my magazines are GI for a reason. They work in everything that takes AR mags.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I had an E4 and Gen 2s worked just fine with no modification, i think you are best off just trading your 3s for 2s.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#5]

GI Mag

Gen 2 Pmag

Another option is the Magpul E-Mags.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I modifed several Gen 3 mags for my E4 stock.  Wasn't hard at all.  I recommend just using a hand file.  Maybe took 3 minutes a mag.  Doesn't effect the mags for use in my AR's one bit.
Plus this gave me 40 roundrs for my E4 which is what I alway wanted any way!!  

I took enough off each side to fit freely and it still functions as an over insertion tab for a AR15 as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top