Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2014 11:07:02 PM EDT
Hey, guys.  Just picked up my new Steyr Aug M1.  This thing is the cat's meow.  Seriously.  It meowed.  Only problem is my optic's reticle is canted and because it's integrated into the housing I wasn't sure how to rotate it.  Any directions posted on this anywhere?  Of course it's not mentioned in the manual.  Maybe this is a ridiculous question even, I dunno.  Thanks for your help.

Update: Has to be sent in to factory. Pete gave me his hookup to call at Steyr. Keeping fingers crossed it'll come back swiftly.

Final update: Steyr sent me the optic and a return label for the canted Otto. It would have arrived in 2 days, but required a signature and after missing ups twice I finally received it. New scope is gtg and they included two mags for the trouble. Thanks, Steyr. All right in the world again. Now, to shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#1]
well that's not good!  Please post how this turns out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Be more specific. 1.5x or 3x optic?
Did you confirm it was canted, and by about how much? 2°, 7°, 19°, 45°?
Can you take a picture?

This isn't something you can fix on your own, this is a send it back to Steyr for service type issue.
The good news for you is that Steyr has excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:36:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you take a picture?

This isn't something you can fix on your own, this is a send it back to Steyr for service type issue.
View Quote

Kind of what I feared. Can't take a pic because I'm hiding it from the wife right now. It's certainly noticeable though, probably between 5-10*. 3x optic.

Bummer. Luckily it's so cold this week I wasn't planning on getting out anyways. Guess they'll be getting a call.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:56:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Ouch, I hope  they fix that quickly.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:41:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it's supposed to be slightly canted? PJs pic shows the reticle on his site as such. Anyone notice there's being similar to that?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're referring to the 3x optic pic where it's obviously not straight, that was my "excellent" photography skill that resulted in a bad but clear picture. My 3x (which is the gun that pic came from) is not canted.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you're referring to the 3x optic pic where it's obviously not straight, that was my "excellent" photography skill that resulted in a bad but clear picture. My 3x (which is the gun that pic came from) is not canted.
View Quote

Yeah, Pete just let me know it's supposed to be straight. He gave me his hookup over at steyr so I can get it fixed. Hoping for a quick turnaround.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, Pete just let me know it's supposed to be straight. He gave me his hookup over at steyr so I can get it fixed. Hoping for a quick turnaround.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for letting us know - always to hear of good service
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#9]
This is why I haven't ordered one yet.
I am the only person I know that is plagued by canted open sights, optics, and barrels when ordering sight unseen.
Maybe I'll just get the railed version and add my own scope or sight?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is why I haven't ordered one yet.
I am the only person I know that is plagued by canted open sights, optics, and barrels when ordering sight unseen.
Maybe I'll just get the railed version and add my own scope or sight?
View Quote

Steyr said they'd just send me back a brand new optic and housing once I sent them mine.  They're sending me a shipping label.  Not too big of a deal except the inconvenience of spending this much dough and having to wait a couple more weeks to shoot it.  Tried talking them into throwing in one of the high rise rails for my troubles, but they didn't seem too keen on the idea.  Maybe a mag or something.  The only other gun I've had an issue with out of box was a S&W Shield had the sear deactivation lever incorrectly installed.  I didn't really even have to send that back but I did anyways, and that was only a $350 gun.  Little upset only because of the $$$ involved here, but whatever, they'll replace the optic and get it back to me ASAP I'm sure.  Other than that, I'd say it's instantly become my favorite rifle even being just out of the box.  Haven't shot it, but trust me, this AUG screams AWESOME.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting,  my ret is perfect.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting,  my ret is perfect.
View Quote

Apparently so is everyone else's...just not mine.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I will say my 3x m1 I bought from Pete has some sort of debree inside the tube almost like a black flake of paint. It was on the lense the first time I took off the lense caps. I cycled the action a few times and whatever it was seems to have migrated else where in the tube. It wasn't visible anymore so I didn't lose any sleep over it.

Just sayin.. I've sighted it in and it's all fine, but there is something in my optic tube.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#14]
How early are your augs?  Mine is in the 1st 60
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Number 21.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Number 21.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Number 21.

lower...
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I guess it will be something to keep an eye on.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine is number 200 with a 3x scope.  I actually thought my reticle was slightly canted when I first looked through it but I quickly realized it wasn't.  I just had my held slightly tilted to the side when I shouldered the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Mine is number 200 with a 3x scope.  I actually thought my reticle was slightly canted when I first looked through it but I quickly realized it wasn't.  I just had my held slightly tilted to the side when I shouldered the rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought maybe it was just me,too. Then I took it off the receiver, rested it flat,  and it was indeed canted.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Double double.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I thought maybe it was just me,too. Then I took it off the receiver, rested it flat,  and it was indeed canted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope it gets fixed quickly, a canted ret would drive me crazy!   so far my only complaint is they left off the SF rail (I would prefer all rails be on there). I asked Steyr USA if they could get me a SF scope but they didn't know.  Im trying Steyr Mannlicher now, I doubt it will work but Ive had good luck with FNh & Beretta spa in the past.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

lower...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Number 21.

lower...

How do you tell which one it is?  8USAXXX, where the XXX is the number?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#23]
From 1USA001 up to 7USAxxx was all A3 AUG's.

The M1 AUG started at 8USA001.

xUSA is the series, xxx is the production number associated to that series. Together xUSAxxx is the serial number.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
From 1USA001 up to 7USAxxx was all A3 AUG's.

The M1 AUG started at 8USA001.

xUSA is the series, xxx is the production number associated to that series. Together xUSAxxx is the serial number.
View Quote

Somebody already had #27 when I ordered mine.  Bastard whomever it is!  Still waiting on my return label from Steyr and still desperately wanting to shoot this rifle.  I assume they couldn't get anyone to send me one via email as I haven't seen it.  Snail mail it is, better see it in the box next week. Guess I should've just shipped it priority myself and eaten another $11 if I wanted it faster.  Getting antsy over here.  It's too pretty not to shoot!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Kind of what I feared. Can't take a pic because I'm hiding it from the wife right now. It's certainly noticeable though, probably between 5-10*. 3x optic.

Bummer. Luckily it's so cold this week I wasn't planning on getting out anyways. Guess they'll be getting a call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you take a picture?

I hide guns from my wife all the time too... Lol
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Well shit, I'm unlucky too. #24 3x.  Canted counter clockwise. The 12 and 6 post is at 11 a d 5. Pete says he'll get on it and I believe him. Just pretty damn pissed at whoever I should be pissed at!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:07:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well shit, I'm unlucky too. #24 3x.  Canted counter clockwise. The 12 and 6 post is at 11 a d 5. Pete says he'll get on it and I believe him. Just pretty damn pissed at whoever I should be pissed at!!
View Quote

Same issue. Steyr is sending me a new one. I missed signing for it today. Guess it's a problem with early adoption of the new optic but I'd think it would be hard to miss in QC. Guess they're just used to the circle reticle on the 1.5x. Hard to mess that one up. As long as steyr takes care of it I'm ok, but it was a bit of a letdown. I'll get over it once I shoot it I have a feeling. Will update tomorrow Once replacement is confirmed good to go.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:39:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow, sorry to hear this, I think I am going to wait a few months before I order one, hopefully they get the bugs worked out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:11:23 AM EDT
[#29]
So #21 & #24 have cant issues, no issues with earlier or #58+ so far.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#31]
My s/n is under 60, no cant at all, no other defects at all and has functioned perfectly.

AUG = two thumbs up and a swirl
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just got of the phone with Steyr.

Weeks ago they cracked the whip on their CQ department in Austria.

Only a hand full of the early M1s had the canted reticle problem, problem has been taken care of.

Steyr has always been great with their customer service and will continue to be.

Thanks,
Pete Athens / Pja
704 668 7973
www.pjs-steyraug.com
www.steyrauga3cqc.com

View Quote

I had to call them today and they are going to send me a shipping label. Sure wish you could get them to throw us a rail(in case it happens again), or a couple magazines or something for the troubles. Just something to make up for it. Something to show that they care, and to make me like them. Yes, they are fixing it for free-ish, but now I have errands to run during my workday because of them

ETA: Pete has given me excellent service, but so far Steyr hasn't. So we'll see.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Same issue. Steyr is sending me a new one. I missed signing for it today. Guess it's a problem with early adoption of the new optic but I'd think it would be hard to miss in QC. Guess they're just used to the circle reticle on the 1.5x. Hard to mess that one up. As long as steyr takes care of it I'm ok, but it was a bit of a letdown. I'll get over it once I shoot it I have a feeling. Will update tomorrow Once replacement is confirmed good to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God damn UPS! Some reason Steyr sent this with over 21signature required. Day 1delivery attempt, someone was home, upon knock went to open the door and driver is driving away already...wtf? Day 2, someone home all morning, had a 45minute window between 1:3p and 2:15 where no one was here. Attempt made in that window. Mother Fucker! Starting to feel like he's my nemesis delivery man ala" Funny Farm".
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Replacement optic received and GTG.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Only a hand full of the early M1s had the canted reticle problem, problem has been taken care of.

Steyr has always been great with their customer service and will continue to be.

Thanks,
Pete Athens / Pja
704 668 7973
www.pjs-steyraug.com
www.steyrauga3cqc.com

Hey Pete any chance of getting a scope (or housing) that has all of the SF rails?

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks,
Pete Athens / Pja
704 668 7973
www.pjs-steyraug.com
www.steyrauga3cqc.com

View Quote

Was there ever any word on how many early units may have had canted sights? Perhaps a serial number range...
Or was it a one off defect?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:00:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not sure if the SF scope that we see in pictures is available. Steyr made a few different variations and then stuck with one. I will check on it.

Looks like only a couple of AUG M1s under serial number 40 had a canted optic.

Thanks.
Pete
View Quote

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Big Brown just dropped off my receiver with new straight optic on it. Just a couple days for the turnaround, but I had to take time off work to make it happen. I guess I can't complain too much, it's fine now and will be getting sighted and run through it's paces ASAP.  

Has anyone heard what manufacturer makes these scopes yet? Swarovski and Kahles are the only Austrian optic companies I can think of.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Big Brown just dropped off my receiver with new straight optic on it. Just a couple days for the turnaround, but I had to take time off work to make it happen. I guess I can't complain too much, it's fine now and will be getting sighted and run through it's paces ASAP.  

Has anyone heard what manufacturer makes these scopes yet? Swarovski and Kahles are the only Austrian optic companies I can think of.
View Quote
meopta I think.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Aren't they from the Czech Republic?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#43]
My M1's serial number is in the 30's and had a slight counterclockwise cant to it.  I swapped emails with Pete and he suggested that I call Styer. I got a guy named Herbert - very cool thick accent. I had to send my optic in up front for them to inspect it.  No offer to pick up postage. A couple of weeks later Herbert called me to say a new optic is about to be shipped.  The new optic was all straight - but they chose to keep my lense caps.  It has been several weeks since all this happened.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:19:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Aren't they from the Czech Republic?
View Quote

Yup
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top