Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OK, I tested the AUG without the can. I shot 20 rounds of XM855 and 20 rounds of XM193 (all rapid fire). All functioned. BUT, I noticed the spent brass was ejected at 12:30 to 1 o'clock position. I have another AUG* and it ejects the XM855 and XM193 brass at 2-3 o'clock position (consistently). I think it is fair to say that the AUG I tried the can on IS overgassed.

I will call Ratworx tomorrow (or email) to get their thoughts.

If the port hole in the AUG barrel is too large then I'm not sure there is anything I can do, short of getting a new barrel. If the gun functions without the suppressor, I'd imagine that Steyr would not be interested in replacing or addressing. I suppose I could ask Ratworx to send me parts with smaller holes. But then I may have more of my original problem with spray on my hand on the forward grip. I wish there was some way to fix the barrel.

I'll let ya' know what Ratworx suggests and how this story continues.

*I know you're thinking, "why don't you try the suppressor on your other AUG?" No dice. That AUG is pure perfection; my pride and joy. I shoot better with that gun than any other (and nearly shoot as accurately with the other AUG). I would rather save and buy another AUG than make any change or adaptations to my fav.
View Quote

you could try what TheRat did in that LF thread did and open up the port on the regulator so that more gases escape out the vent hole

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sounds to me Steyr wants to make sure the new AUGs run on weak Russian ammo and have taken a page from the AR market and oversized the gas port.
View Quote

except that the gas port has been the same size since the AUG-A1 going back to the 80's, before Russian .223 was even a thing (assuming its drilled to the correct size in this case)

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Sent an email into Ratworx. Got an email back in short order. They asked me to send in the whole rifle and can, and they will get it running.

That's some pretty damn good service if you ask me. I'll keep everyone updated.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Please do. A can that works well on an AUG is worth my $$.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Any updates on this?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I sent the can 3 and a half weeks ago. I emailed last week and they said they are still working on it. I appreciate that they're taking the time to address it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Just heard from Al. They manufactured parts just to fit my rifle's needs. Sent the parts to be heat treated and will send all back to me when they get it back. Awesome service.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I've heard good stuff about the Rats.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Just got it back!! Ratworx made custom parts just for my AUG, and then sent it back to me in a new rifle case. How awesome is that?! I can't wait to get this to the range. Sadly, I won't be able to this weekend. I'll post a range report and video when I do.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking forward to hearing how it performs
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#12]
229 days assuming this time it works... OP you have to win some kind of prize for patience!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I forgot to mention that Ratworx hasn't charged me a dime for the custom parts they made for my gun.

Patience is the name of the game for anything NFA. Ratworx are the only folks making an AUG specific suppressor, and the fact they took the extra time and effort to ensure my rifle set-up runs is great customer service if you ask me. Can't wait to get er' to the range.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:26:01 AM EDT
[#14]
What parts did Ratworx make?

Looking forward to your report; I want one of those too!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool, I hope you do a detailed video! I'm interested to see the db reduction you'll get.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#18]
If playinARound gets/gives a good report I may just sell a Tavor and buy a Rat can!
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Just waiting for that update..................
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just waiting for that update..................
View Quote

Well hell!
I thought you were the update.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Soooooooo how is it now?  How do you like it?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Unfortunately, I think the OP sold it.

I've had a couple of conversations with the guys at Ratworx lately and they are are great people to work with. As soon as I can move some stuff I will be placing an order for one of these!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I finally got to shoot mine with the modified gas tube.  With the first tube it was very over gassed, unreliable and ejected randomly from 12 to 6 o'clock.  Lots of double feeds.  Now it ejects at a consistent 3 o'clock and runs perfectly.  There are no longer huge amounts of gas and carbon pushing past the butt plate.

Since I only had to send in the gas tube I tried it after plugging the gas tube port in the can with a 1/8" pipe plug. Nooope.  Too loud.  I am glad to have the tube back on. It's a lot quieter.  If it were only lighter it would be perfect.  I still prefer the RATWorx can to any other on the market for the AUG.  Now I just need a bipod.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top