Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2014 11:35:17 AM EDT
I have had this rifle less then 24 hrs and thinking about cutting to 14.5 and re thread to ether 1/2 or 5/8 for suppressor use. Also so many brake/FH options.

Other option buy a used barrel cut retread. I like this option best.

Who sells the tulip f/h?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You can get the tulip FHs from Pete - http://www.pjs-steyraug.com
He may also have some useful info on cutting the barrel down - been thinking about doing this myself down the road, and pinning on an AAC FH/suppressor mount, but I've seen a few comments about potentially needing some gas system 'adjustment' in changing barrel lengths.
I really wish Steyr would make 14.5" barrels available..
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He may also have some useful info on cutting the barrel down - been thinking about doing this myself down the road, and pinning on an AAC FH/suppressor mount, but I've seen a few comments about potentially needing some gas system 'adjustment' in changing barrel lengths.
View Quote

My buddy had a 14.5 and said the gas and flash sucked. On a factory 14.5 I would still deal with the thread pattern and I prefer not spending the cash on a. Surefire and from the net they have the only direct mount in the aug threads. I would run my YHM on it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
AAC makes a blackout flash hider in 13x1 if you have an AAC can or SilencerCo Saker that can mount to the 51 tooth AAC mounts.  Someone used to re-thread muzzle devices but I think they quit - Ratworx maybe?  Ratworx does still carry a 13x1 to 1/2x28 adapter which would work, but is not the most elegant solution in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
AAC makes a blackout flash hider in 13x1 if you have an AAC can or SilencerCo Saker that can mount to the 51 tooth AAC mounts.  Someone used to re-thread muzzle devices but I think they quit - Ratworx maybe?  Ratworx does still carry a 13x1 to 1/2x28 adapter which would work, but is not the most elegant solution in my opinion.
View Quote

Yep, this.  
Here's the link, gets cheaper with the typical midway coupon/discount codes when they have 'em..
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/354765/advanced-armament-co-aac-blackout-flash-hider-51-tooth-ratchet-suppressor-mount-556mm-m13x1-lh-thread-steyr-aug-steel-matte
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would run my YHM on it.
View Quote

YHM lists a mount for the AUG, YHM-3102-M13LA.

I don't understand why the barrels made in the US for the US market don't have 1/2x28 thread pitch, would make much more sense.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't understand why the barrels made in the US for the US market don't have 1/2x28 thread pitch, would make much more sense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would run my YHM on it.

Thank you, I missed this I was just there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:29:00 AM EDT
[#7]
It wouldn't be an AUG with 1/2 x28 pitch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My buddy had a 14.5 and said the gas and flash sucked. On a factory 14.5 I would still deal with the thread pattern and I prefer not spending the cash on a. Surefire and from the net they have the only direct mount in the aug threads. I would run my YHM on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

your buddy is wrong. the flash isn't bad and I don't know what he is talking about the gas. the factory barrel is 13.77 inches  not 14.5 . I run mine full auto and no problems with gas or flash
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

your buddy is wrong. the flash isn't bad and I don't know what he is talking about the gas. the factory barrel is 13.77 inches  not 14.5 . I run mine full auto and no problems with gas or flash
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe I may have mistakenly called it 14.5on the barrel when they are <14 . I do think his perception is his reality when it came the flash and gas. I will confirm with him on this. He is in his 70's and gas been shooting the AUG since the A1 and has quite the AUG collection. Again I am knew and have little experience with them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't worry about it. Not everyone knows every nuance of the AUG.
Here's another one for your noggin. The 16" barrel is… wait for it… actually ~16.5".  
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#12]
whats the point of going to 14.5" with a rifle thats already as compact as an AUG?  esp with the trouble of having to SBR it...
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry about it. Not everyone knows every nuance of the AUG.
Here's another one for your noggin. The 16" barrel is… wait for it… actually ~16.5".  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
whats the point of going to 14.5" with a rifle thats already as compact as an AUG?  esp with the trouble of having to SBR it...
View Quote

I understand your point I'm a 02/07 SOT so it's a non issue, I will end of doing this as a post dealer sample.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a factory 14" Aug barrel and I wanted to use a surefire suppressor, so I had a Mp7 flash hider re-threaded and pinned on...

http://youtu.be/zh_ncS0fCSY
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a factory 14" Aug barrel and I wanted to use a surefire suppressor, so I had a Mp7 flash hider re-threaded and pinned on...

View Quote

who  re-threaded the flash hider?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know, right, who'd want more sales?

"It wouldn't be an AUG with 1/7 twist."

"It wouldn't be an AUG with NATO mags."

"It wouldn't be an AUG with bolt release."
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why should the AUG have an AR15 thread pitch?

How does an AR15 specific thread pitch equate to more sales?

The AUG uses 13x1, other firearms use their own TPI standards. An AK with 5/8x24 wouldn't be right, nor would an MP5 with 1/2x36.

1/7 twist barrels for the AUG have been around since the 80's. NATO mags would go with the NATO stock which is from the A1/A2 era, and bringing up a bolt release is silly when all standard A3's have one.
Maybe I'm not seeing your point???

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marvin Pitts re-threaded it, pinned, and welded it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I got the FH from YHM added the suppressor. Sound good not great but good.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#21]
How do you like that fh? Was it hearing safe with that can? Looks great btw
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I just bought an aug, and I wanted Steyr mag model but I'm probably a minority. I got board with ar's and ak's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top