User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dunno, I think a final average Tavor price is yet to be settled.  It's still relatively new.

Even after the panic ended, it was still selling for $1999 in late 2013.  Then $1900, 18, 17 and now 16.  That's not charity.

Ultimately the manufacturer may need to reduce it's price point for distributors...and so on down the line.  Time will tell.
View Quote

Eventually they will have to go lower. Right now they are selling well at their current price. Eventually most who want one at that price will own one. They'll still be people who want it, but they'll have to lower the price to tap into a broader market. Don't expect it to be less than $1,200 though. ARs are cheap because there is a lot of competition from many makers. This is the reason why Colt M4s have dropped below their $1099 price point. But I think $1,400 level Tavors can be expected. If they can lower it to $1,200 then they'll move a whole lot more.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Eventually they will have to go lower. Right now they are selling well at their current price. Eventually most who want one at that price will own one. They'll still be people who want it, but they'll have to lower the price to tap into a broader market. Don't expect it to be less than $1,200 though. ARs are cheap because there is a lot of competition from many makers. This is the reason why Colt M4s have dropped below their $1099 price point. But I think $1,400 level Tavors can be expected. If they can lower it to $1,200 then they'll move a whole lot more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dunno, I think a final average Tavor price is yet to be settled.  It's still relatively new.

Even after the panic ended, it was still selling for $1999 in late 2013.  Then $1900, 18, 17 and now 16.  That's not charity.

Ultimately the manufacturer may need to reduce it's price point for distributors...and so on down the line.  Time will tell.

Unless supply costs decrease, IWI would have to make the decision to lower their margin and, or more likely, lower the parts quality.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:33:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The reason I mentioned $1200 is that I'm broke as a mofo, and would have to sell at least one, if not both ARs to fund one. I could do it at $1600 - $1800, but all I would do is cover the cost,  but lose a caliber.

If they came out with a 6.8 conversion, I'd be more apt to do it. Still, my 6.8 is sort of special to me, and I don't think I could ever sell the Wylde, it has such a huge sentimental value that I could only part with it under dire circumstances.

Therefore, it's out of my reach at any price. If i had the cash, I would feel confident I made a great choice at the current going rate.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:35:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The reason I mentioned $1200 is that I'm broke as a mofo, and would have to sell at least one, if not both ARs to fund one. I could do it at $1600 - $1800, but all I would do is cover the cost,  but lose a caliber.

If they came out with a 6.8 conversion, I'd be more apt to do it. Still, my 6.8 is sort of special to me, and I don't think I could ever sell the Wylde, it has such a huge sentimental value that I could only part with it under dire circumstances.

Therefore, it's out of my reach at any price. If i had the cash, I would feel confident I made a great choice at the current going rate.
View Quote

IMO it is a great rifle and glad I have it, but if I could only have one it would be an AR.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:40:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thread morphed into what people think it’s worth but I was just answering the OP’s question, which was basically “will the price go lower”.

In this current marketplace I say yes.  That’s more a statement about the current market than the gun.

Based on other bullpup prices though, I'd guess Tavors will probably float around $1600-$1700 new over the long term.  

Like some mentioned, I'd just buy it used.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Or eventually when the sales taper off enough they can just introduce the X95 or another model that will take the market by storm, make them money, and keep the factory plenty busy.

IWI has a lot of desirable arms in their lineup that can make up for a tapering off of Tavor sales.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or eventually when the sales taper off enough they can just introduce the X95 or another model that will take the market by storm, make them money, and keep the factory plenty busy.

IWI has a lot of desirable arms in their lineup that can make up for a tapering off of Tavor sales.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I think you are correct.  Lowering the Tavor price point significantly could negatively impact the price points of their other guns when and if they come to the U.S. market.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it would depend on where in the market IWI can position or continue to position the Tavor.  Not all ARs are cheap, Noveske and Knights still command high prices because of their perceived value.  If IWI can position the Tavor in the market correctly, price will remain constant.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Unless supply costs decrease, IWI would have to make the decision to lower their margin and, or more likely, lower the parts quality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Amazing how the "supply" side of supply and demand works.  Supply isn't magic, and IWI doesn't strike me as a company that would trim QC to make a buck.

Tavors are not going lower than they are right now.  Dealer cost will not allow it, and neither will the supplier.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The standard distribution price  is reportedly at $1400. So I think they could conceivably drop down to an average of $1500 in the near term, depending on the dealers - even without IWI cutting prices.  

Alternatively, if  IWI  scale up production, the economies of scale could allow them to make a reduction in the distribution price.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
IWI US has not changed the price of the TAVOR SAR one penny since launching in March 2013, and we have no intention to change now.

All price drops you see in the market are due entirely to cuts in price from either our wholesale distributors or the FFL dealers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IWI US has not changed the price of the TAVOR SAR one penny since launching in March 2013, and we have no intention to change now.

All price drops you see in the market are due entirely to cuts in price from either our wholesale distributors or the FFL dealers.
View Quote

Ok wow, thanks for answering.

The distribution price is $1400 (according to an article I read).  So depending on the dealers, the price might conceivably come down to $1400-1500, but never below that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The distribution price is $1400 (according to an article I read).  So depending on the dealers, the price might conceivably come down to $1400-1500, but never below that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

According to WHAT article, pray tell?  And did that tell you where in the supply chain that price was quoted?  Because dealers aren't paying that low, or I would have saved a stack of cash on my personally owned Tavor.

IWI is above reproach for any prices, IMO; I'm just impressed they could assemble and sell that many guns in 1 year.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1400.00 might be wholesalers cost : Dealer is closer to 1500.00 . I have looked it up to see . The Wholesale distributor makes 5% from the dealer and the Dealers that are honest make 10% . My first Tavor was 1689.00 with sales tax in June of 2013 because my Dealer treats everyone fair. I just bought another and paid the same price. So where you see them now is where they are going to stay. Any Dealer selling below 1600.00 must need to clear out Inventory:
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought one for 2k when they first came out. This was right after sandyhook and there was a real possibility of another ban dropping on us. As others have said get em now while you can. That is unless you can see into the future!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I purchased mine in March of this year.  $1750.00 out the door. No regrets!

To anyone on the fence, Get one NOW!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I purchased mine in March of this year.  $1750.00 out the door. No regrets!

To anyone on the fence, Get one NOW!
View Quote

Yeah, I paid $1800 with shipping for mine, and don't have any regrets at all. Blows my mind that people think this is a $1200 rifle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm about to write the check for the AUG m1.  Will prices come down more?  Maybe... but they do seem to have come down quite a bit already, I have more than enough money in the bank (income not so much... but plenty in the back), 3-4 ARs I'm going to sell anyway, and with 594 hanging over our heads in this state....

Anyway, have always wanted one since I was a little kid.  Will need to build up another whole head of steam for a Tavor though.

*Another issue with the AUG is making my mind up over A3 (cheaper) or M1 (more expensive, but with the scope that best resembles the original A1 sexiness), and also 16", 18", or 20".

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I paid $1630 for mine (FDE 16.5'').  

HOWEVER the Geissele trigger was another $350.  So I actually ended up spending $1980  overall (minus an optic).  

But  with the geissele it's my favorite gun ever now,  and it'll see more use than my ARs
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I paid $1,350 for mine.  OK, it was used but looks like it wasn't shot at all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I paid $1640 for an OD 16" back in September.  I think it is fair - I'm not entirely happy with the trend towards $1500+ new rifles but I understand the AR/AK world benefits from economy of scale along with time on market.

After surviving the AWB, Obama Panic #1, Obama Panic #2, and the Sandy Hook Shitstorm, I tend to follow the "if it is worth it to you, get it when you can" rule.  The release prices of $2000+ were absolutely more than I was willing to pay.  Not worth it to me at that price.  Getting to pick my preferred color at $1640 though - good enough.  There's a slight chance it may get cheaper but mostly likely it'd be a black model, which I didn't want.  With the variability of the current administration, their willingness to issue EOs to cut off imports as political punishment (see: Russia), and their hostility towards Israel, the risk of a huge cost increase is pretty high.  When it hit my comfortable enough point, I jumped.

I'm not sure I need the fancy triggers yet, so no extra cost there.  I survived the FS2000 trigger, the Tavor isn't that bad.  Just heavy.  I have other rifles with tuned triggers if I need to go to extreme precision.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Take the extra spring out, triggers an absolute joy! Seriously, may consider a Geiselle down the road if the price comes down and I've got cash to burn but I'm more than happy with the OEM one...
ETA: now the gas in the face shooting suppressed is another story, think I need one of those MI ejection port covers
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I paid $1640 for an OD 16" back in September.  I think it is fair - I'm not entirely happy with the trend towards $1500+ new rifles but I understand the AR/AK world benefits from economy of scale along with time on market.

After surviving the AWB, Obama Panic #1, Obama Panic #2, and the Sandy Hook Shitstorm, I tend to follow the "if it is worth it to you, get it when you can" rule.  The release prices of $2000+ were absolutely more than I was willing to pay.  Not worth it to me at that price.  Getting to pick my preferred color at $1640 though - good enough.  There's a slight chance it may get cheaper but mostly likely it'd be a black model, which I didn't want.  With the variability of the current administration, their willingness to issue EOs to cut off imports as political punishment (see: Russia), and their hostility towards Israel, the risk of a huge cost increase is pretty high.  When it hit my comfortable enough point, I jumped.

I'm not sure I need the fancy triggers yet, so no extra cost there.  I survived the FS2000 trigger, the Tavor isn't that bad.  Just heavy.  I have other rifles with tuned triggers if I need to go to extreme precision.
View Quote
This is the part that cannot be restated enough.

Lest anyone need a reminder, try to buy a Saiga right now.  Oh wait, department of commerce strikes again!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lest anyone need a reminder, try to buy a Saiga right now.  Oh wait, department of commerce strikes again!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Related to this, is it reasonable to assume that the AUG's which are made in the USA now, are more secure from a hostile EO than Tavor, and so less priority to taking advantage of current availability?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I got to pick up my OD 16.5" Tavor today and I can't figure out why I didn't buy one sooner.  I paid $1659 shipped to my dealer plus $30 for the transfer and would do it again in a heartbeat.  Sure prices may go lower still but, now having run around with mine all night long, I'm really glad I got one while I could.  I'd have been furious if I happened upon how nice they were AFTER they were no longer available (not to say that is soon in coming, just always a possibility).  It points like its an extension of my own body, I cannot wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#28]
You'd think some of these companies would build proper factories in the US and start churning out all the parts here. We have a massive gun industry and culture and I recall reading that the US consumer market buys more of these firearms than most military contracts.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You'd think some of these companies would build proper factories in the US and start churning out all the parts here. We have a massive gun industry and culture and I recall reading that the US consumer market buys more of these firearms than most military contracts.
View Quote
You'd think, but I'm sure all the OSHA BS, taxes, permits, and insecurity surrounding the current POTUS administration make setting up a factory a losing gamble.  Same reason the ammo companies aren't expanding to make .22lr, and they already have the overhead, distribution, markup, materials, logistics, and human capital figured out.

Though if these bullpup companies do, I'm dropping my name in the hat.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#30]
On a local gun forum one guy just sold his for $1200 (16.5" FDE Version) …. Was like new in the box
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

They prefer military contracts, because they get a set number of guns ordered - and there's none of the unreliability of selling on the civilian market. The military contracts are more profitable and lower risk for that reason.

For a military customer, they get an order for 30,000 rifles, and just deliver it.

Whereas in the civilian market, the demand is always fluctuating, and also the numbers sold are unlikely to be as high.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Whereas in the civilian market, the demand is always fluctuating, and also the numbers sold are unlikely to be as high.
View Quote

Then you have a certain old hag politician whose life work has been to legislate away "Assault Rifles" from the American public, that doesn't inspire confidence for a foreign company that could lose it all with the stroke of a pen.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Related to this, is it reasonable to assume that the AUG's which are made in the USA now, are more secure from a hostile EO than Tavor, and so less priority to taking advantage of current availability?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of others have already commented in regard to the AUG being mostly imported parts, but as far as my risk matrix goes...  Israel is a specific thorn in the side of the administration.  They are a lot more likely to be "punished" for taking care of business in their backyard.  The AUG is largely produced in Austria, which really doesn't offend anyone.  It would likely be part of a larger scale attack on firearm/component imports where everyone would be screwed.

I would say the AUG is more secure in that regard, but overall, an EO would be easy to nail them all with.  Just Israel a more likely target of sanctions because of whatever tiff tiff Obama is having with the Israelis at the moment.  Easier to justify a single EO with a specific goal than something broad like "all imported parts are non-sporting".
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#34]

I don't think the legislation, if it ever comes, would be country specific. It would just be a kind of general ban on imports of a certain type of firearm.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top