Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 8:20:50 AM EDT
Took the Tavor out for a second time yesterday.

The first range trip the rifle functioned perfectly with 20 round Gen 3 Pmags and M855.

Yesterday, with the same magazines and the rifle in a relatively clean condition, the Tavor functioned 100% for approximately 40 rounds with M855. After that, the rifle consistently failed to chamber a round from the magazine or would short stroke failing to strip a round from the magazine. (This magazine and ammunition combination cycled 100% in my Colt AR.)

After that issue, I switched to PMC ammunition and the rifle began to cycle reliably but the bolt would not lock open on an empty magazine.

My initial thought was that the follower in the 20 round magazine was not moving fast enough to keep up with the Tavor's action. I plan on trying some USGI 30 round magazines next time out.

Any other suggestions/things I should be looking at?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I had similar issues with mine when using steel case ammo.

I couldn't figure mine out and ended up selling it so good luck.

I would try some 30 round pmags too.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If you continue having issues, call IWI. They will take care of you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Took the Tavor out for a second time yesterday.
The first range trip the rifle functioned perfectly with 20 round Gen 3 Pmags and M855.
Yesterday, with the same magazines and the rifle in a relatively clean condition, the Tavor functioned 100% for approximately 40 rounds with M855. After that, the rifle consistently failed to chamber a round from the magazine or would short stroke failing to strip a round from the magazine. (This magazine and ammunition combination cycled 100% in my Colt AR.)
After that issue, I switched to PMC ammunition and the rifle began to cycle reliably but the bolt would not lock open on an empty magazine.
My initial thought was that the follower in the 20 round magazine was not moving fast enough to keep up with the Tavor's action. I plan on trying some USGI 30 round magazines next time out.
Any other suggestions/things I should be looking at?
Thanks
View Quote

Clean it and look for something broken
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine wouldn't feed steel case very well either, which eventually led to me getting rid of it, sounds about like the same story as the guy above.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Do any of you with issues try contacting the manufacturer before getting rid of it? This isn't a common issue.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do any of you with issues try contacting the manufacturer before getting rid of it? This isn't a common issue.
View Quote

Especially IWI they have top notch customer service.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I already had an AUG and figured I'd give the Tavor a shot with the assumption I was only going to keep one.  I figured out pretty early on that I preferred the AUG, then when the Tavor had issues with steel I parted ways with it.  Possibly a break-in issue, but I wasn't really feeling it in comparison to the AUG anyway.  I tried to like it but wound up pretty disappointed.  

Here's a pic before I got rid of it.  It's a good looking rifle, but my preference heavily leans for the AUG if given the choice between the two.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top