Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 5:16:25 AM EDT
So I took the new Tavor to the range yesterday.  Shooting XM 193 I was doing the battlesight zero on the iron sights and the new Aimpoint PRO.  It took a while to dial in the Aimpoint.  Not sure why but it was done.  I have a 100 yd zero.

The Tavor is not the most accurate weapon in the world, but that is partially due to: my old eyes, a red dot optic and the XM 193 ammo.

It is suitable for its purpose.  Oh...the trigger is heavy as reported and I will fix that in the future.

What I really like is that the Tavor is so easy to break down for cleaning.  It takes 5 minutes.  The AR takes me at least 30 minutes.  This is important to me.  After 80 rounds, the bolt was clean.  Only the piston was really dirty and not really very dirty at all.  Of course the chamber and bbl were easy to clean.  I use a bore snake on all my weapons.

There was some discussion about soft cases for the Tavor.  At the LGS I picked up a case that is perfect.  It is the Blackhawk Discreet Weapons Case 29 inch long, with model number 65DC29BK.  

I will try some other ammo soon.  I will shoot some M855, 69 grain and 75 grain match and see how it goes.  I suspect it will be more accurate than the 55 gn XM 193.  The Tavor has the 1/7 twist.

Also a better trigger will help I suspect.  But the trigger is manageable.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#1]
i had a similar experience. I am working on the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You can remove the reset spring and lighten it up the pull by a few pounds.  Some people have reported reliability problems after doing but I haven't so far.  I also haven't dropped it in the dirt or beat it to hell so YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
68 grain Hornady bullets will take care of that accuracy, a least it did for me YMMV
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#4]
sorry the trigger is atrocious...  makes an Aug or HK seem fairly decent by comparison.  Heck, a staple gun has it beat.   Will see if a trigger upgrade makes it worth keeping.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]
My Timney trigger may not be the best on the market for the Tavor but it pulls at 3.5 pounds exactly what I like in my ARs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:38:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Thinking my Steyr AUG "may" be going to the marketplace soon to fund an OD 16" Tavor.

Good rifle - but the Tavor just has more to offer.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:51:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the post!

My opinion,  I love the size and handling of the Tavor.
But the accuracy is iffy and the trigger is just wretched - to the point that the gun will never be accurate with that 10+ lb dog of a trigger.
for $2k, not worth it. (Though still kind of want one )

As to cleaning : my opinion again - if you are cleaning your AR more frequently than every 500 rounds you are wasting your time.   Indeed, you can go a couple thousand easily if you spray some oil on the bolt while the dust flap is open.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:19:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the post!

My opinion,  I love the size and handling of the Tavor.
But the accuracy is iffy and the trigger is just wretched - to the point that the gun will never be accurate with that 10+ lb dog of a trigger.
for $2k, not worth it. (Though still kind of want one )

As to cleaning : my opinion again - if you are cleaning your AR more frequently than every 500 rounds you are wasting your time.   Indeed, you can go a couple thousand easily if you spray some oil on the bolt while the dust flap is open.
View Quote

They're a lot closer to $1600 than $2k.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can remove the reset spring and lighten it up the pull by a few pounds.  Some people have reported reliability problems after doing
View Quote

Could you please point me at any links regarding "reliability problems" .  I was going to remove that spring, but I hadn't heard anything negative about this (until now).

Thanks,
L
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thinking my Steyr AUG "may" be going to the marketplace soon to fund an OD 16" Tavor.

Good rifle - but the Tavor just has more to offer.....
View Quote

I handled one over the weekend and I have to agree; my CQC and spare 20" barrel may be heading for the block as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#11]
The Tavors sweet spot is definitely in the 69gr area. Trigger isn't the best but gets better once you've put a few rounds down with it. I've managed to get respectable groups with it and my 4moa Aimpoint, so don't think it can't be done.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Could you please point me at any links regarding "reliability problems" .  I was going to remove that spring, but I hadn't heard anything negative about this (until now).

Thanks,
L
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can remove the reset spring and lighten it up the pull by a few pounds.  Some people have reported reliability problems after doing

Thanks,
L

It's touch and go. Best bet is to remove the spring and try it out. Some have trigger reset issues, some never have any problem at all. I left mine in, because I don't think the trigger is as horrible as people act like it is.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Tavors sweet spot is definitely in the 69gr area. Trigger isn't the best but gets better once you've put a few rounds down with it. I've managed to get respectable groups with it and my 4moa Aimpoint, so don't think it can't be done.
View Quote

Agreed,  just takes a little practice time
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I left mine in, because I don't think the trigger is as horrible as people act like it is.
View Quote

I feel the same. I don't think the trigger is all that bad. Can it be improved? YES
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I feel the same. I don't think the trigger is all that bad. Can it be improved? YES
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I left mine in, because I don't think the trigger is as horrible as people act like it is.

Same here. I do not have any issue with the trigger at all. Additionally, I have no issues with accuracy either. Mine does very well with M193. I also had no problems zeroing my optic (VORTEX SPARC). It is baffling to me why so many guys have so many issues with the TAVOR. It is a very well designed and well built weapon system. It functions exactly as it is suppose to. The trigger is designed to provide a proper reset if when used in a not so friendly environment (sand, mud, water, etc.). It seems like a lot of new TAVOR owners are spoiled by their light trigger ARs. Frankly, I use mostly the standard mil-spec type triggers in my ARs and I have no problem transitioning from shooting the AR to the TAVOR. It just takes a bit of practice. After a couple range trips, good to go.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Because many AR triggers aren't that great to begin with so the comparison point is already pretty low to begin with...  Its fine for some battle rifle from the 1950s to have a meh trigger, but in the 21st Century I expect a lot better.

It may be an issue where all the hype can't live up to the reality, and with the Tavor there was a lot of hype.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#17]
You know, over my lifetime I have fired hundreds and hundreds of different types of guns. From semi auto, to full auto suppressed.  From belt fed to bolt action. From revolver to auto loader. From MBR to Sub-gun to crew served. I myself own over 100 rifles and handguns.  

I have experienced countless different conditions in which to fire a gun. From out at the gun range, to hunting small game.  From plinking in the dirt pit, to running a carbine or handgun course. I have experienced 100+ degree desert temperatures, and below zero freezing mountains.  Sunny beautiful days and nasty rainy jungle days, and just about everything in between.  And I even got in my fair share of two way range time during two tours of combat in Iraq.

I have fired some guns to the point that I became very comfortable with them and their operation became second nature.  And I have fired some so little that all I was able to accomplish was being able to say, "Hey, I have shot one of those before"

In this time, I have NEVER had the desire or felt the need to change the trigger pull of any gun I have fired or owned simply to deem it worthy for ownership. And I certainly have not been so put off by firing a particular gun due to its trigger pull that I deemed it undesirable by that characteristic alone.

Maybe its just me, but I think that you can LEARN to fire just about any gun accurately.  It just takes more time with some than others...

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You know, over my lifetime I have fired hundreds and hundreds of different types of guns. From semi auto, to full auto suppressed.  From belt fed to bolt action. From revolver to auto loader. From MBR to Sub-gun to crew served. I myself own over 100 rifles and handguns.  

I have experienced countless different conditions in which to fire a gun. From out at the gun range, to hunting small game.  From plinking in the dirt pit, to running a carbine or handgun course. I have experienced 100+ degree desert temperatures, and below zero freezing mountains.  Sunny beautiful days and nasty rainy jungle days, and just about everything in between.  And I even got in my fair share of two way range time during two tours of combat in Iraq.

I have fired some guns to the point that I became very comfortable with them and their operation became second nature.  And I have fired some so little that all I was able to accomplish was being able to say, "Hey, I have shot one of those before"

In this time, I have NEVER had the desire or felt the need to change the trigger pull of any gun I have fired or owned simply to deem it worthy for ownership. And I certainly have not been so put off by firing a particular gun due to its trigger pull that I deemed it undesirable by that characteristic alone.

Maybe its just me, but I think that you can LEARN to fire just about any gun accurately.  It just takes more time with some than others...

View Quote

Amen and thank you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#19]
A good shooter can shoot well with a crappy trigger and even better or more consistent with a good trigger.

A good trigger can hide a bad shooters fundamental problems and a bad trigger will expose those flaws.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Take any shooter, even the very best shooter you can find, put him on two bullseye targets at 200 yards or more, offhand, and have him shoot 10 round strings on each target.

Do this for several groups, alternating a good match grade trigger on one target, and a poor or current mil-grade trigger on the second target.

Would anyone debate that there wouldnt be any doubt looking at the targets which target was shot with which trigger?

I think it would be pretty neat to see someone like Jerry Miculek try this... He has world class trigger finger strength and control.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Take any shooter, even the very best shooter you can find, put him on two bullseye targets at 200 yards or more, offhand, and have him shoot 10 round strings on each target.

Do this for several groups, alternating a good match grade trigger on one target, and a poor or current mil-grade trigger on the second target.

Would anyone debate that there wouldnt be any doubt looking at the targets which target was shot with which trigger?

I think it would be pretty neat to see someone like Jerry Miculek try this... He has world class trigger finger strength and control.
View Quote

Funny you mention Jerry... there are several videos with Jerry and the Tavor.  He never mentions the Tavor having a horrific trigger. But what does he know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjx4KSKHIC4

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Bitch all you want; it is the IDF issue weapon.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Funny you mention Jerry... there are several videos with Jerry and the Tavor.  He never mentions the Tavor having a horrific trigger. But what does he know?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jerry is one of the best shooters in the world, and that is precisely why I said he would be an excellent candidate for such a test.  That video was one of the tipping points for me to order my first Tavor.

Hey I dig the Tavor, I am working on getting a second one right now.  As I have said in the past, with the extra trigger return spring removed, it is better than the average mil spec AR trigger.  However I am also a match shooter and in order to be more competive shooting paper that is far away, I have ordered a TAV-D trigger.... Should be here tomorrow.  I will probably leave the original trigger group in the second Tavor.  It is fine for shooting siloulettes, gongs, or self defense use.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Jerry is one of the best shooters in the world, and that is precisely why I said he would be an excellent candidate for such a test.  That video was one of the tipping points for me to order my first Tavor.

Hey I dig the Tavor, I am working on getting a second one right now.  As I have said in the past, with the extra trigger return spring removed, it is better than the average mil spec AR trigger.  However I am also a match shooter and in order to be more competive shooting paper that is far away, I have ordered a TAV-D trigger.... Should be here tomorrow.  I will probably leave the original trigger group in the second Tavor.  It is fine for shooting siloulettes, gongs, or self defense use.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Jerry thing goes two ways. You can say "Jerry did this so this is the way it is" but the next guy will say " It's Jerry, he's not even human so it don't count".
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I have owned my Tavor for about a month now,  and put about 1,300 rounds through it and honestly do not mind the stock trigger.  I am keeping my eye open for the TAV-D, but that is more out of wanting to futz with the gun,a s opposed to solving a pressing problem.

Not a single FTF, or extraction problem, and this is after having dropped it into the sand (Arizona) a few times.   Haven't cleaned it yet either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#26]
The trigger doesn't bother me, it's the smoke from the action right under my nose that gets me, anybody actually have one of those ejection port covers that is supposed to help with this?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The trigger doesn't bother me, it's the smoke from the action right under my nose that gets me, anybody actually have one of those ejection port covers that is supposed to help with this?
View Quote

100mph tape
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a Gearhead FLEX and it works great for this, even suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

100mph tape
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100mph tape

LOL, it probably would work but I'm not high speed low drag enough to put it on my rifle  
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LOL, it probably would work but I'm not high speed low drag enough to put it on my rifle  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100mph tape

Oh it works, trust me
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#31]
new timney trigger works on 556 and 9mm conversion just put it in
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I picked up a Tavor last fall and it's fast becoming my favorite rifle, even with 6 AR's.

Balance is (IMO) is it's best one of its best attributes. One handed operation is way better than any AR  I own. If I needed a rifle to clear a house it's my go to rifle.

I removed the reset spring and it lightened it up a bit. It groups as well as my AR carbines and realizing it is not a precision rifle and using it as such I think it's a great rifle.

My main criticism of it is left hand shooting. Shooting 223 will hit my face while 556 clears it. Might have to pick up a different shell deflector to see if that helps.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My main criticism of it is left hand shooting. Shooting 223 will hit my face while 556 clears it. Might have to pick up a different shell deflector to see if that helps.
View Quote

it is able to be ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the Midwest Industries port covers...works perfectly at sealing in the gas.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Get the Geiselle Tavor trigger and don't look back
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Best of my understanding IMI want's you to send it in for the conversion. It isn't something they want the user to convert on their own. Not worth it for occasional off hand shooting

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Best of my understanding IMI want's you to send it in for the conversion. It isn't something they want the user to convert on their own. Not worth it for occasional off hand shooting

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They ask you send it to them so they can headspace the LH bolt. They return it to you with both bolts, and from then on your can convert back and forth all you want.

But no, for offhand shooting now and then it wouldn't be worth it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Get the Geiselle Tavor trigger and don't look back
View Quote
THIS

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top