Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2014 5:12:45 PM EDT
Howdy.

I stopped by my local LGS yesterday and looked around and saw an OD green Tavor 16 inch on the wall.  My opinion of them being made out of plastic and metal is changing ever since I got a G19 gen 4, but I digress.  I am thinking about selling my 16 mid-length Ar and buying an 18 inch Tavor.  My only experience with bullpup rifles was with a MSAR Styer Aug Clone, which I wanted to get but didn't due to the propriety magazines not being STANAG friendly.  What have your experiences been from those people who have switched from Ar to Tavors?  What did you like? What did you miss?

Thanks,

B62stew
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I kept my AR's, but I will say that since buying a Tavor i've barely shot my AR's. Not quite sure yet i'd say it's my goto but it's quickly becoming my favorite rifle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not keep your ARs and get the tavor as well? This is not a great time to sell an AR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I kept my AR's, but I will say that since buying a Tavor i've barely shot my AR's. Not quite sure yet i'd say it's my goto but it's quickly becoming my favorite rifle.
View Quote
This is basically my input, as well.

I kept an M16A1 clone for giggles, but I sold my "tactical" carbine to buy a Tavor.  Not disappointed in the least.  YMMV

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
and you can convert to 9mm and practice a lot.  Just put my 9mm kit in last night. broke it in with 300 rounds this morning flawless.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I kept an M16A1 clone for giggles, but I sold my "tactical" carbine to buy a Tavor.  Not disappointed in the least.  YMMV

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the reasons I am considering selling the thing is because I never use it because of the weight.  I Built it it too heavy and don't use it anymore.  The Tavor seems balanced and it looks sexy to boot.  Plus I would be gaining barrel length over the 16 inch ar barrel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The ergonomics of the Tavor are very nice. It is my new go to rifle. I am keeping my AR's as I am into the whole armory tools and building your own thing. Adult Legos. I already have a lot invested into spare parts etc. for repairs. It's very versatile in its own right. If need be I can fall back on my AR's with no problem. I just like my Tavor better.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One of the reasons I am considering selling the thing is because I never use it because of the weight.  I Built it it too heavy and don't use it anymore.  The Tavor seems balanced and it looks sexy to boot.  Plus I would be gaining barrel length over the 16 inch ar barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This was exactly my dilemma.  My "tactical" AR was too heavy and expensive and complicated, so I never used it.  

The Tavor's balance is different, and some people gripe about the trigger.  I don't shoot off a bench, so the trigger doesn't bother me.  I went with a 16.5" Tavor in FDE, because it was there, and I was tired of waiting for an 18"....but longer barrel bullpups appeal to me in a bad way .

Also, I see Tavors holding value better than ARs, so there was an economic/investment aspect to the trade, too.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm also on the Tavor bandwagon, but I would recommend keeping at least one AR-15 rifle, or at least one lower receiver.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I recently picked up a Tavor recently. It is not going to replace my ARs, but I do like it a lot. The trigger does suck compared to an AR but it is workable. I got a Geissele trigger for mine last Monday which is a huge improvement. I haven't shot it much with it but so far it ia good to go both suppressed and unsupressed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I recently picked up a Tavor recently. It is not going to replace my ARs, but I do like it a lot. The trigger does suck compared to an AR but it is workable. I got a Geissele trigger for mine last Monday which is a huge improvement. I haven't shot it much with it but so far it ia good to go both suppressed and unsupressed.
View Quote

How does it compare to an AR with geissele trigger?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Similar to an SSA. There is slightly more take up which I believe is due to a drop safety type mechanism in there, but it is definitely a nice two stage with a crisp break on the second stage.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I will take my new OD Tavor to the range today for the first time.  Will zero with the new Aimpoint PRO.  I ordered a Surefire light for it.
I will keep my AR-15 and AR-10, however.  

I will probably shoot the Tavor more if for no other reason that it is so quick and easy to break down and clean.  Minutes instead of an hour for the AR.

I also have a sweet AK with a red dot optic.  Also a keeper.

I plan to use the Tavor as my primary home defense long gun...if you can call it long.  I think it is funny that so many are wanting a SBR.  Just get a Tavor.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Bought an 18" Tavor, and have been shooting it a lot. Having said that, I have an AR next to the bed, due principally to familiarity during any 3:am groggy-headed emergency that might arise.
The Tavor seems heavier than an AR, and seems strangely clumsy during initial shouldering. While I trust it mechanically, I do not trust it (yet) instinctively, but I've been gunning the AR platform since jarhead boot camp back in '82, so, that's a lot to unlearn, so it's practice, practice, practice.
I would buy the Tavor, but definitely keep your AR until you are convinced the bullpup gig is for you. After two months and about 1200 rounds, I am still not quite sure myself.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an 18" Tavor and a 6920 M4 clone and would never sell either.  Same mags and ammo, what's not to like.  If forced to choose id keep the Tavor.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wait until Saturday Sept. 27th.  I will then be able to show (i.e. post pics) on you how you can set up your 18" OD green tavor in a way that will blow your mind.

Sven
Manticore Arms

Here are some teaser pics with just  our current products:

<a href="http://s131.photobucket.com/user/Dawg180/media/XTLod18inchsideweb1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p296/Dawg180/XTLod18inchsideweb1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s131.photobucket.com/user/Dawg180/media/XTLOD18inchangledweb1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p296/Dawg180/XTLOD18inchangledweb1.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Howdy.

I stopped by my local LGS yesterday and looked around and saw an OD green Tavor 16 inch on the wall.  My opinion of them being made out of plastic and metal is changing ever since I got a G19 gen 4, but I digress.  I am thinking about selling my 16 mid-length Ar and buying an 18 inch Tavor.  My only experience with bullpup rifles was with a MSAR Styer Aug Clone, which I wanted to get but didn't due to the propriety magazines not being STANAG friendly.  What have your experiences been from those people who have switched from Ar to Tavors?  What did you like? What did you miss?

Thanks,

B62stew

Wait until Saturday Sept. 27th.  I will then be able to show (i.e. post pics) on you how you can set up your 18" OD green tavor in a way that will blow your mind.

Sven
Manticore Arms

<a href="http://s131.photobucket.com/user/Dawg180/media/XTLod18inchsideweb1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p296/Dawg180/XTLod18inchsideweb1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s131.photobucket.com/user/Dawg180/media/XTLOD18inchangledweb1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p296/Dawg180/XTLOD18inchangledweb1.jpg</a>

Would you also be able to show if Troy BUIS sights work on the Tavor?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why not keep your ARs and get the tavor as well? This is not a great time to sell an AR.
View Quote

This..get (keep) both.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Howdy.

Thanks,

B62stew

Sven

Manticore Arms

Tavor has built in BUIS; why would you want to add more $$$ to it unnecessarily?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tavor has built in BUIS; why would you want to add more $$$ to it unnecessarily?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Howdy.

Thanks,

B62stew

Sven
Manticore Arms

This. And they work great. People strangely hate on them because they look flimsy... but they're not. And the same people that slam the Tavor's BUIS generally praise the Desert Tech MDR, which has nearly identical buis.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This. And they work great. People strangely hate on them because they look flimsy... but they're not. And the same people that slam the Tavor's BUIS generally praise the Desert Tech MDR, which has nearly identical buis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Howdy.

Thanks,

B62stew

Sven
Manticore Arms

I have looked at the BUIS in the LGS.....MY question about TROY BUIS was just a question.  If in the off chance that the stock BUIS don't work for me, I would want to have something in mind so I can switch.  On all the 'Get Both' crowd,  I know this is ARFCOM and that saying is the official/ unofficial slogan, but I am about to finish up college (Meaning I don't have unlimited funds and can't feed two 5.56 rifles) and want to have one good 5.56 rifle.  Ever since I got into firearms, I have always wanted a bullpup rifle on 5.56mm that takes standard Ar magazines.  My only Issue, Nobody in my area of Texas has a TAVOR that is readily available for me to try out before I make a final decision.  I wish I was close enough to go to the Bullpup Shoot.  The optic will be an Eotech 556.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh..how I want the week to flow by...manticore...how you tease us with your bullpup goodness...come on Saturday!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tavor values have plummeted.  Recall they were being sold for MSRP-plus prices 18 months ago.  

Primary or "go to" weapon will be the one you have the most confidence and skill with.  

Before discarding the tried and true AR15 platform take a good 3-day carbine course with the Tavor.  As a "spoiler" be prepared to have more difficulty with small things like head shots at various ranges.  Clearances are different as are magazine changes.  With enough practice you may get back up to your AR15 skills, but the college girls with AR15s will be out-shooting most Tavor shooters all weekend long.

If you've not taken a good "carbine course" with your AR15 and have been depending on YouTube videos you may have an assortment of marginal AR15 skills to start with. Try shooting "C-Clamp" for more than a dozen rounds without kitchen mitts to protect your hand from burns from the barrel!  

Finally unless you replaced the trigger pack you'll find the Tavor deficient in accurate shots -- or even zeroing.  Finally finding a decent trigger (Tav-D) is all that kept my Tavor in the rack.  

-- Chuck
View Quote

I agree with a lot of your points Chuck. After considering moving my Tavor into a more "go-to" role a fixed front sight was on the agenda. I've struggled when I had the wrong brightness setting on my aimpoint and turn on the light. So I installed a daniel defense fixed that I had lying around, and it works okay but it is a bit low compared to on an AR pattern rifle...then comes the matter of raising it with a new top rail, which further raises the flashlight to a near uncomfortable position.
I'm a simple person, and I like my light activation to be ambidextrous, which is why I like the x300 at noon type setups, with a riser to get the sights into the right plane, this further complicated the distance needed to activate the light.
Then the height over bore was launched into overdrive, and now, after just getting a geissele trigger for it, I'm on the fence of having the tavor as a go-to at all.

This is depressing me a bit as I really, really like the tavor. It balances well, and with a nice trigger shoots very sweetly. Suppressed weight is well balanced too, and having the 16" package in the same equivalent overall length as an 11.5 AR package, well, thats great too. The whole malfunction bit takes a while to learn, and I'm not even close to mastering it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#25]

If you want to shoot 3-Gun you are probably better off with a varmint style AR that dominates the sport. Get a Nascar sponsor shirt to complete the look.

If you want something for inside-the-home defense and close quarters, everything else is obsolete when compared to the Tavor. In reality, the AR has been obsolete since 1977 when the Steyr AUG appeared, but we were too slow to notice.

The Tavor takes a bit of practice to learn the support arm hold so it will be just as accurate, or better, than an M4 on far targets. If you need more than that it's Scar 17 time. I don't like the varmint rifle after-market triggers. Disconnecting the extra trigger return spring and using it for a year of rifle matches has made mine feel about perfect for general shooting.

In comparison, my AR's now feel like carrying and shooting a station wagon of a rifle. They kinda look like one too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=JvEhXEWc5gc&u=/watch%3Fv%3DoDTqQmCN17s%26feature%3Dem-uploademail

interesting
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=JvEhXEWc5gc&u=/watch%3Fv%3DoDTqQmCN17s%26feature%3Dem-uploademail

interesting
View Quote
Yeah, that looks pretty damn nice.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Took top shooter of the day in my class in a recent trip to Sig university for a CQB class. I was using my Tavor against a sea of AR's. It works for me! I'd go with a 16" all day long though.

DWC
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Wonder if they'll do the integral suppressor/rail setup for the 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
I would think it gets too hot. A 30 rd mag through a supressor gets so hot it will ruin your day to touch it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would think it gets too hot. A 30 rd mag through a supressor gets so hot it will ruin your day to touch it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. I had mine melt one of my shooting gloves.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#32]

There looks to be enough room in there to add water cooling, like on a computer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Howdy.

Thanks,

B62stew
View Quote

what is this switch you speak of?  I don't ever sell guns. Just buy new ones
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Took top shooter of the day in my class in a recent trip to Sig university for a CQB class. I was using my Tavor against a sea of AR's. It works for me! I'd go with a 16" all day long though.

DWC
View Quote

Haven't taken top shooter, but have run numerous classes and 3 guns with my AUG, usually similar results - zero failures of the gun, ever, vs inevitably at least a few AR mis-feeds, etc.  
I see no reason to believe a Tavor is any less reliable than the typical AR, so as long as it's proven reliable enough 'for you'/per your 'new gun testing criteria,' why not make it your primary/go to?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Howdy.

Thanks,

B62stew
View Quote

I kept the AR but the TAVOR and PWS MK114 are the go to guns,

Pros- an 18inch barrel more compact than my MK114, fits in a day pack so I am just another guy on snow shoes,
       -  The ergos allow better second shot aquisition, yes I know this is training and the operator, but it is easy in the BP platform
       -  Again the ergos, I can handle an M4 with one hand if I need a free hand to move objects, communicate etc, but with the TAVOR I can do it all dayThe first day at the range I put my other hand in my pocket and was able to make consistent center mass shots at 25 meters.

-   I find it is a bit lighter
          - will take a wide variety of mags, optics etc
          - Is surprisingly accurate for a battle rife
          - Works well with a CAN, I ran mine the first day, driving 100 rounds through it no gas in the face and no issues. There was some drift but that is to be expected.
          -  Comes apart in big fisher price pieces
           -   Bolt release close to mag well and easy to hit on reloading
             - drop in trigger upgrades

Cons  - The Ergos take some getting used to, the mag release is better than most BPs but with some work you can be just as fast as an AR

-   A bitch to fully clean, if you are OCD about your weapon, like an HK rifle with so many nooks and crannies
           -    The trigger is heavy and takes some getting used to
           -   If you go to a public range you will get celebrity status and may have to cut your way out of there
            -   Sling attachments are quick detach, personally I do not trust these and have none on any of my guns, but 550 cord was an easy fix
             - just too cool not to have

I like it because I wanted to learn about BPs but wanted something I could use as well. Like any AR you can add optics lighs etc with little trouble. I wish the OD ones were out when I got mine, but what ever. I am hoping for a 308 or 300 blk in the future. They really are fun and capable rifles, as for the end of the world they will feed all kinds of ammo and magazines, so in that respect it is comparable to an AR...

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

DWC
View Quote

The size and layout of the Tavor does takes "Running and Gunning" to a whole new level...
My times for reloads with the Tavor while running through a course are def. quicker than with my AR.

Getting the muzzle on target/multiple targets with the Tavor is also a lot faster, since you don't have "swing" the muzzle around like
I do with my M4...

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The size and layout of the Tavor does takes "Running and Gunning" to a whole new level...
My times for reloads with the Tavor while running through a course are def. quicker than with my AR.

Getting the muzzle on target/multiple targets with the Tavor is also a lot faster, since you don't have "swing" the muzzle around like
I do with my M4...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DWC

I do with my M4...

To what extreme/distance is a Tavor faster? My 6 pound AR is faster than a heavier rifle at close range to maybe 30 yards or so then it seems like the lightweight and none of it out front works to a disadvantage. It is harder to keep my lightweight AR as steady at 100 yards and its easy to swing right past the target if you move fast. Just a thought
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

To what extreme/distance is a Tavor faster? My 6 pound AR is faster than a heavier rifle at close range to maybe 30 yards or so then it seems like the lightweight and none of it out front works to a disadvantage. It is harder to keep my lightweight AR as steady at 100 yards and its easy to swing right past the target if you move fast. Just a thought
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DWC

I do with my M4...

The bullpup design pretty much solves the shortcomings you mention. You do have to use it a bit differently than an AR since there's not so much barrel out in front of you, but it's snappy and responsive, and works well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Jerry Miculek noted in one of his videos that the Tavor swung a lot easier than AR-15 which was throwing his timing off a little.  I think he said he couldn't drive the Tavor with a straight arm clamped grip which he uses to drive the AR-15.  Jerry said the Tavor swung very easy and was quick going target to target.  This is my observation and it is very easy to hold the Tavor shouldered on target for extended periods of time.  The Tavor is easier to use one handed compared to an AR-15.  

I used to take my 16" AR-15 when I travel, now my Tavor is my companion.  The Tavor is right at home around vehicles and CQB, kind of wish I'd had the Tavor when I worked the streets.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DWC

I do with my M4...

It's not solely about the overall weight but the functionality of the design that gives the Tavor a big edge over an AR/M4 in a CQ/Run & Gun role.
i had the opportunity to train a couple of weeks ago in building search/room clearing and a couple of active shooter scenarios - the Tavor shined over any AR.
Alot of guys with AR's were using the magwell for their support hand..takes more time & effort to swing up or move that front end.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top