Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2014 12:40:20 PM EDT
I have an ar pistol in 5.56 with sig brace, it's a 7.5" plus a kak flash can.  While it's not bad, as far as blast and concussion to shooter, it's still noticeably louder then a 14.5-16" ar.  Are bullpups with a 16" similar to the blast and concussion of a sbr/pistol ar15?  Is the more blast/concussion due to the short distance of shooter to barrel end, or is it due more to the fact that powder is being burned outside of the short 7.5-10" barrel.  Only been around one msar and it was 20" and several years ago.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The gas pressure at the muzzle of a 16 inch barrel will be much lower (and thus, quieter) than a 7.5 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok I never thought I would be a bullpup guy and have owned many pistols ars and aks  and have multiple sbrs in both.. With that said this is a level opinion and will need conformation from others.. But from my experiences all the ar/ak style pistols I have owned have all been miserable to shoot.. With the pig can or without like a standard flash hider.. All of them are great with a suppressor and if you run one, this is the only way I would recommend especially indoors for home defense or a shoot house.. The muzzle blast and concussion of the short barrels is just horrible.. Now When I bought my first bullpup outta curiosity I went to the range expecting the same due to the barrels end being so close to ones face... happily you will be excited to know that after shooting Tavors, Augs, and Fn2000s all are very easy on the blow back and Noise. They to me feel no worse than any 16 or 14 inch ar that I have shot... The harsh blow back seems to be from the unburned powder escaping the barrel in the huge fireball you get on most shorter barrels... when running the full 16in barrel on the bullpups this issue is not present.. Now like I said before this is only my experience and hopefully someone else more knowledgeable on the science behind it all can confirm this, but that is the best I can do.. hope it helps. Also after shooting that first Styer Aug a3 I then proceeded to sell all my ars minus the sbrs and a few aks to fund 5 Tavors and 4 Styers.. just showing you that you will be very happy if you decide to get a Bullpup.. They are great weapons..
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I find myself wanting a Tavor really bad, but I was worried about blast, thanks for asking and explaining guys. I'm even more excited now, just need money!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, i kinda thought it was mostly incomplete powder burn in short barrel resulting in more concussion and general blast", but just wanted to be sure.  Looking hard at a tavor flat top and didn't want to get surprised by a flashbang inthe face when /if i got one.  Would a bullpup benefit from a noveske or kak flash can?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top