Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 3:32:19 AM EDT
Ok guys, here it is, and getting both is not an option.   I've decided that I am getting one of the new AUGs, I've shot a couple of them and really like them, and I'm selling off some of my under appreciated firearms to make it happen, the question is this, is there any reason I should consider the Tavor in it's place?  I see a couple of points I like better on the Tavor, IE 1/2-28 threads on the barrel, and a 1-7 twist, but other than that, I find it slightly unattractive, anyone own/shot both?  What are your thoughts?
JKJ
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:45:04 AM EDT
[#1]
AUG
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:08:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I own both. I prefer the ergonomics of the Tavor and think the stock trigger is slightly better. I think the AUG is easier to disassemble and clean, and looks better. I like them both and think it really comes down more to which one you like the feel of better. I shoot the Tavor more than the AUG and also feel it suppresses better, for what its worth.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#3]
This is one of those "9mm vs 45" arguments that has been played out about a thousand times here. Some prefer the Aug, some prefer the Tavor. Both are great gun and will do you well.

Personally, I've shot both and prefer the Tavor, but still want to get an AUG at some point.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:47:44 AM EDT
[#4]
AUG

Then again Tavor is damn good choice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#5]
If u have already decided on an AUG, then go that route.  Don't second guess yourself.  It's a really nice rifle.
I got my AUG first, then the Tavor. I like both equally, but for different reasons.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't see how a stock Tavor trigger could be better than an AUG's.

I've had them both almost completely apart, and the Tavor is more difficult to work on, like a gun puzzle. AUG is simpler and has better production QC I think. I unwrapped a NIB Tavor that IWI had used blue loctite in lieu of a nut on the ejection port guard. The worst I've seen on an AUG is how the latest A3's sometimes don't have as smooth a radius in the plastic stock where the curve of the receiver's back-end meets it, but that's just aesthetics and is barely noticeable.

Tavor has better rail options and its mag release can be considered an improvement vs euro-style or mucho AUG speedload training. I want to hear from someone who's snagged their Tavor release on something.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

How about something relevant to this site?

rehashed 1.000.000 times

AUG > tavor,  but buy what you want.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I have shot the AUG and really like it, as far as accessories, I just need an optic, trigger, light, and I will probably form 1 a suppressor for it.    

Next question, AUG mags, or Nato?   I have a pile of AR mags, but the AUG mags look better built, and since I doubt a beta mag/bullpup combo works well, I'm on the fence with this part.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Aug.

Because Karl.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I own both and would buy another AUG before I bought another Tavor.  Nothing against the Tavor, the AUG is just an amazingly put together gun.  And the 9mm kit is one of the best in the biz as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

It's in the AUG forum. If the same thread was in the Tavor forum, it'd be the opposite results. That's pretty much the point I was making earlier.

Aftermarket support for the Tavor is already better than the AUG, and skyrocketing because the Tavor's sold more units in the year and a half it's been around than the AUG did in decades.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got both. You aren't going wrong with either.

Personally, I think the Tavor is clearly the better gun once you've fixed the trigger. But fixing the Tavor trigger is also super-expensive compared to fixing the AUG trigger. *shrugs*
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#15]
AUG.

Check w/Pete - he may have a 1:7 barrel to swap out for ya, if you really have a need/strong desire for one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Tavor, greater aftermarket support with top notch American made triggers, rails etc.  the Tavor has more support in one year than the AUG has mustered in 30 years.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#17]
It's been asked and answered many times and always comes down to "get what you like more", because you can't go wrong with either one. Having shot both, I like the AUG more.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty obvious that there is no comparison
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tavor, greater aftermarket support with top notch American made triggers, rails etc.  the Tavor has more support in one year than the AUG has mustered in 30 years.
View Quote

If you are talking strictly bolt on aftermarket rails etc, then yes. But if you take into account the parts more necessary for gun function that people actually need and want, then no, not even close. The AUG has the factory parts market saturated, anything and everything you need or could ever want has been available for decades... With the Tavor, you can order a spare firing pin.

I don't want an aftermarket this or that. I want factory replacement parts, ejectors, extractors, bolts, hammerpacks, barrels, receivers, stocks, springs, etc.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you are talking strictly bolt on aftermarket rails etc, then yes. But if you take into account the parts more necessary for gun function that people actually need and want, then no, not even close. The AUG has the factory parts market saturated, anything and everything you need or could ever want has been available for decades... With the Tavor, you can order a spare firing pin.

I don't want an aftermarket this or that. I want factory replacement parts, ejectors, extractors, bolts, hammerpacks, barrels, receivers, stocks, springs, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you're the resident AUG cheerleader, but you could at least try to get your facts straight. Available right now from IWI, you can get firing pins, extractors, ejectors, springs, hammerpacks, ect. If you mail them the rifle so they can headspace it, they'll sell you bolts (I think that's silly myself, but it's largely legal cover your ass at work.) They'll have barrels on the site in weeks per IWI. The AUG has had 30 years to get the market saturated with parts. The Tavor has had a year and a half, and has been concentrating on getting rifles out there.

And hey, hope you don't want a 9mm kit for that new AUG, because they're banned for import.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#21]

I owned an original all Austrian Steyr AUG for almost 2 decades - excellent rifle

Along comes the Tavor and I tried everything I could to hate it... But I couldn't.

Incredible  rifle.....

That said - Choose for yourself, based on your expectations
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#22]
If you can wait the X-95 may become available by spring.
The mag release is the same as an AR.
The mag release on current offerings from IWI and Steyr has been a deal killer for me.
The X-95 is more refined than the Tavor and very reliable.
X-95 and Tavor is quieter suppressed than the AUG.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess for me, it was a toss up between the Steyr Aug and Tavor with no real preference to which one I got.  It just so happened that the Tavor was spotted first and that's what I went with.  Had it been an AUG that I came across first, it's likely that I would have went with that instead.  Now of course, the proper answer here is to own both!  With my time in the engineer program coming to a close and I can say goodbye to training wages next month and start making better money again this fall, an AUG is on the very short list for me to get next and maybe an X95 in the spring when they are released.  In any case, I don't think you are going to make a bad choice whatever way you go, be it Tavor or AUG.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I tried the tavor, sold it and bought a couple AUG's.

I still want an FDE tavor.

I like that I can add the NEU trigger to the AUG for $38 shipped and make the trigger incredible.

The AUG has all the parts you need available from pjsteyraug, ratworx, and other vendors.

I would REALLY like a 9mm AUG or Tavor but can't afford either right now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have shot the AUG and really like it, as far as accessories, I just need an optic, trigger, light, and I will probably form 1 a suppressor for it.    

Next question, AUG mags, or Nato?   I have a pile of AR mags, but the AUG mags look better built, and since I doubt a beta mag/bullpup combo works well, I'm on the fence with this part.
View Quote

Tough call there.  I like the AUG mags, and have yet to have an issue with them, running thousands of rounds through 'em - range, 3 gun, carbine classes, matches in the rain, snow...
The NATO stock seems to work without issues from what I've read, anyways...although you do give up the stock mounted bolt release with the NATO stock, and have to cycle the charging handle after swapping out an empty mag...otherwise functionally identical.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#26]
AUG fits me better, the length of pull on the Tavor is too long or at least feels that way to me.  If somebody made a thinner buttpad I might consider the Tavor.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
AUG fits me better, the length of pull on the Tavor is too long or at least feels that way to me.  If somebody made a thinner buttpad I might consider the Tavor.
View Quote

Length of pull is almost identical.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj540/seainc/Forum/DSC_9006_zps8c17c5ff.jpg

I just measured both.  The AUG is 15" and the Tavor is 16".    I measured parallel to the barrel from the center of the trigger to the butt, that's the propper method.  The  extra length of the Tavor is due to the thick buttpad, so if somebody made a thin pad, then the length of pull would be nearly identical.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Stay tuned...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj540/seainc/Forum/DSC_9006_zps8c17c5ff.jpg

I just measured both.  The AUG is 15" and the Tavor is 16".    I measured parallel to the barrel from the center of the trigger to the butt, that's the propper method.  The  extra length of the Tavor is due to the thick buttpad, so if somebody made a thin pad, then the length of pull would be nearly identical.

Stay tuned...

Now you have my attention
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#31]
one thing i noticed about the shape of the Tavor buttpad is that it guides and holds the stock into the shoulder crease very nicely.  it probably also helps when wearing body armor
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I find it confusing that my Tavor with 16" LOP Feels so good.  With an AR I prefer an A1 buttstock to the A2's whopping LOP which is what, about 1 1/4" less than the Tavor?  Honesty if I had known it had a 16" LOP before I ordered it that might have scared me away from buying.  But I really like it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I find it confusing that my Tavor with 16" LOP Feels so good.  With an AR I prefer an A1 buttstock to the A2's whopping LOP which is what, about 1 1/4" less than the Tavor?  Honesty if I had known it had a 16" LOP before I ordered it that might have scared me away from buying.  But I really like it.
View Quote

its because the center of gravity on a bullpup is much closer to the body than with an AR

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top