Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2014 9:39:31 AM EDT
I have been saving up to buy a bullpup rifle for a little while now, and I happened to find the kel-tec RFB 308.  Does anyone have any experience with these???
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess I'll have more interest when I move back to the USA from PRNY.  Seems like a nice design, though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh, i thought that was a joke rifle that Kel-Tec "made" and told everyone they made and released pictures of the "product" but really did no such thing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#3]
The fact that you can get the .308  is attractive.  Any other info on this?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
7.62x51, takes FAL mags, nice and short. Has the usual K-T incremental improvements, so a new gun is a better gun. Most complaints are either about bad mags or gas system fussiness.

I want one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Is that a typo on the website where they will offer barrels in 24",26" and 32" lengths?
I would love a 24" or possibly 26" but a 32" barrel in .308 seems a bit much.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#7]
32" barrel variant does exist. Pictures of it online, too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine runs well, accurate, and reliable.  Very happy with it.  Can send it in for updates if anything major comes along.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one also.  Great rifle.  I like it because when set the gas system correctly, recoil is no more than a .223.   Easy on your shoulder.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that a typo on the website where they will offer barrels in 24",26" and 32" lengths?
I would love a 24" or possibly 26" but a 32" barrel in .308 seems a bit much.
View Quote

I see the 24" come up for sale fairly frequently, they don't seem to be as popular as the 18" model (not surprising, given that one of the RFB's main selling points is how compact it is).  I've seen photos of the 32" model but have never seen one actually offered for sale.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an RFB and it is a fun range gun. The adjustable gas system was designed so that the user could dial in different ammo.

At first that sounded neat and useful, but it turned out to be un-needed and kind of a pain in the ass.

I purchased it before the Tavor was released and was happy with it until I got my hands on the Tavor.  Yes the TAVOR is 556 and the RFB is 308, but the TAVOR is what a Bullpup should be.  Simple and reliable

I also have a KSG and it has taken me from "KelTec makes some unique kewl stuff, I am sorta becoming a fan"  To "I am finished with KelTec now that I have been duped twice by them and their sub par bullpups"...

KelTec already has two new bullpups scheduled for production, and IMO they haven't even figured out all the bugs on the ones they have already released.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a late gen1 and haven't had any problems other than having to readjust the gas system when using different ammo.
I really don't understand the longer barrels. To me it defeats the purpose of having a bullpup, plus it makes the rifle front heavy.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:I have been saving up to buy a bullpup rifle for a little while now, and I happened to find the kel-tec RFB 308.  Does anyone have any experience with these???
View Quote

Really depends on the price you can get it for and whether or not it is a GEN-I or GEN-II. I would not waste any money on a GEN-I. My GEN-II is awesome and I got it for a really good price.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f91/

Semper Fidelis
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#14]
What is your intended purpose?

My Gen1 has run like a sewing machine, other than one crappy surplus mag that would double feed.
4+ years, few thousand rounds, no issues.
Even shot a recent 2-gun match with it, just because, did fairly well.

You need the Kydex cheek rest if you have any facial hair at all, and a Hogue slip on grip makes the thin grip much more comfortable for big hands.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I had one of the earlier ones. When I first shot it, after about 30 rds am empty casing got stuck in the chute. I'm guessing the heat caused the casing to expand and it got stuck in the chute. I contacted KelTec and they sent me a new chute, no charge. They have great customer service. The new chute was a little wider than the original chute and solved that issue. I found that mine worked great with FN FAL magazines. But, it would not function reliably with any DSA 25 rd magazines or the DSA 30rd Bren Gun conversion magazines. Also, I bought an X Products 50 rd drum magazine for the FN FAL and the drum neck was not long enough to fit into the magwell.

As long as I used the FN FAL 20 rd magazines I had, it worked well. Just not with any others. Also, the external frame is made of plastic (not anywhere near as durable plastic as in the Steyr Aug) and has an internal steel frame that supports the barrel and other groups. It is a little complicated to dissasemble and re-assemble for cleaning. Because of the magazine limitations and the not so heavy duty plastic, I ended up selling it. I really want a bullpup in 7.62 Nato that will fit and feed drum and regular magazines over 20 rds. I am waiting for the Desert Tech MDR to come out next year. It accepts the Magpul 25 rd magazines and should be able to accept the X Products 50 rd drum. That, and Desert Tech has a good reputation already established.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top