Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2014 1:43:16 AM EDT
I found this video on the new Kel Tec bullpups. There's some interesting info that was brought up:

- Price, while not official, may be around $1,300-1,500 for the RDB, a few hundred more for the M43. A lot less than the Shot Show prices, if accurate.
- The RFB will eventually be discontinued, to be replaced by a .308 version of the RDB. It's cheaper and easier to make the RDB.
- All models will have a non-reciprocating charging handle. In the video, only the RDB has one.
- The M43 in the video was a hybrid, with a rail on top. Not sure if they'll be offered like this.
- Late 2014 or probably 2015 for availability.

The video host,, Hank Strange, didn't really give details of what it was like to shoot one, beyond "it's really nice" and such. I'd like to have heard his impressions of how it handled, the weight, recoil, ease of operation, etc. Something besides generic affirmations.

Otherwise, it's great to see these bullpups in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7TlHJKWQ7Q#t=970

eta - here's a better video, shot at the same location:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eon4abzfUyU

It looks like they'll eventually make these in 6.5 Grendel, maybe a 9mm conversion kit and then 7.62x39.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I could see myself buying one of the future M43 7.62x39 iron sight versions that takes AK mags,  If they ever produce it

Otherwise my RFB, KSG, and Tavor have all my Bullpup needs filled
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could see myself buying one of the future M43 7.62x39 iron sight versions that takes AK mags,  If they ever produce it
View Quote

The geometry on the pistol grip is completely wrong to have it work with AK magazines. I'm not saying it's unfixable, but I doubt we'll ever see it produced.

If they can knock the street price down to $1100-$1200, I'd be in for an RDB. The Tavor is extremely stiff competition at $1700 - yeah, more expensive, but you get BUIS and something you know is combat-ready. (And doesn't suffer from so-so QC.)
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The geometry on the pistol grip is completely wrong to have it work with AK magazines. I'm not saying it's unfixable, but I doubt we'll ever see it produced.

If they can knock the street price down to $1100-$1200, I'd be in for an RDB. The Tavor is extremely stiff competition at $1700 - yeah, more expensive, but you get BUIS and something you know is combat-ready. (And doesn't suffer from so-so QC.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't matter, even if they are good and people really want one they will only make about 5 a month citing production capacity until demand eventually dies off as people get tired of waiting and they discontinue the product .
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter, even if they are good and people really want one they will only make about 5 a month citing production capacity until demand eventually dies off as people get tired of waiting and they discontinue the product .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give them a little credit... the KSG is now available and affordable. It just took like three years.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#5]
More Bullpups = Good...

I think they should keep the reciprocating charging handle, especially if they
are going for the "Spirit" of some late WWII or apocalyptic WWIII assault weapon
(ie...German STG44, MP 40, Soviet PPSH41)

Lots of stamped metal/wood - ...
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#6]
The M43 is a nice looking rifle.  It would be better with a AK74 FSB on it instead of that awful folding front sight they have on the iron sight version.  The holes in the PG need to go as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting rifle, especially to someone like me stuck in a state where I cant ever buy one!  However, unless I am missing something, there doesn't appear to be any way to inspect the chamber or clear a stoppage.  Maybe the action cover pops off easily?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Interesting rifle, especially to someone like me stuck in a state where I cant ever buy one!  However, unless I am missing something, there doesn't appear to be any way to inspect the chamber or clear a stoppage.  Maybe the action cover pops off easily?
View Quote
I was wondering about this.  Seems like it might be a PITA to clear if the piston short strokes and carries your spent brass back into the chamber, along with a fresh round.

Awesome idea, but I'm curious how the execution will hold up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The M43 is a nice looking rifle.  It would be better with a AK74 FSB on it instead of that awful folding front sight they have on the iron sight version.  The holes in the PG need to go as well.
View Quote

So, I'm not the only one who did not like the holes in the pistol grip....

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I still can't make up my mind of these I like the idea of the m43 but I might just get the mdr when that comes as I'm set on older looking rifles unless someone wants to make a replica em2 then I'm all over it!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Give them a little credit... the KSG is now available and affordable. It just took like three years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KT has as much credit as a guy holding a cardboard 'will work for food' sign.

By this point they are guilty until proven innocent.

AJ
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I swore I'd never buy another KT.  I am a huge bullpup fan, but not so much KT.

I hoped that RFB would be my ultimate MBR.  It was alright.  

I do not feel that any KT product is worth MSRP, so when I see people paying above MSRP on a KT...I just laugh.  Kinda like the PMR...I paid $289 OTD for mine and it was a good value at that price, but when people were paying upwards of $800, that's just nuts.

KT gets A in my book for innovation, but they get a C- in execution and reliability.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I was in the KT corner after I got my RFB dialed in and it started to shoot properly, so much so I bought a KSG.  Well after I took the KSG out this weekend for the first time, I can safely say I am finished buying KelTec.

Couldn't fire 15 rnds without FTE
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my Sub2K, but I will not part with my AUG. Both are good in their own role.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the idea behind bullpups, but the stuff I read puts me off (but I admit I read it all years and years ago). Usually stuff about ejection issues. Downward ejection making them impossible to shoot prone in dusty conditions, side-ejection putting hot brass on you, etc.

Also, the aesthetics put me off. I'm not much on the hyper-modern plastic look, so I find the Tavor, FS2000, etc., unappealing.

But the M43 made me look twice. I actually like the stamped-metal, AK-47 kind of look to it (I saw a pic by Oleg Volk with the irons removed and a scope on it, looks a lot better without the flimsy-looking KT irons IMO). It reminds me of the FG42, one of the sexiest guns ever IMO.

As for prices, I really think Kel-Tec needs to raise them, a lot. They're the most innovative company, but their QC issues put people off, and they don't produce enough to come anywhere near meeting demand. Kellgren refuses to borrow money to finance expansion, and I can't argue with his logic in an extremely hostile regulatory environment like we have now. So, I think he should raise prices on his innovative products substantially, in the short term. He should have the accountants run the numbers on what their products are selling for at the retail level, and set their prices at 75% of that or whatever. It won't hurt consumers, because they're going to wind up paying that much, anyway. Might as well put that money into Kel-Tec's coffers so they can go ahead and pay cash for the expansions they need to do that much earlier, then they can cut prices after they've expanded to meet demand, improved QC, etc.

I think it's insane what Kel-Tec is doing right now, letting the middle man make so much money off of their products.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The holes are to hold the pins that hold the stock to the receiver when the gun is disassembled for cleaning, kind of like the holes in the stock on a G3. I agree, it does look silly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#17]
So, these two bullpups look nice.  I would imagine they would be available in about 2018?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, these two bullpups look nice.  I would imagine they would be available in about 2018?
View Quote

Kel Tec says late 2014.
So, yes, 2018.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Kel Tec says late 2014.
So, yes, 2018.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kel Tec says late 2014.
So, yes, 2018.

And maybe by 2020 they will produce a properly functioning model, shortly before that discontinue production in say 2021...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top