Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2014 8:36:12 PM EDT
Getting ready to pick up a new Tavor but am wondering a few things.
First, I am wondering if I should spend the extra money and go the Tavor/Mepro reflix route and or just buy the standard version. Is the Mepro a good sight worth the extra coin or would I be better off just buying the flat top model and putting an Aimpoint on it later on?

And secondly are the triggers really as bad as people say they are? TIA.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
By the standard version and think about waiting next month for the release of the Mepro Tru-Dot RDS. As for the trigger, it may take some time to get used to, but aftermarket options are now starting to arrive like the TAV-D.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing wrong with the Mepro optic, but I say get the flat top version so you have the flexibility to use any optic you want.

The trigger from the factory is heavy but it's no worse than any of the other bullpups on the market. The good news is that the Tavor probably has the easiest trigger replacement of any firearm ever and aftermarket options are already available.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
How does Mepro quality stack up against brands like Aimpoint and EOTech? Are they on par? Until the Tavor came out I never heard of them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 flat top..also trigger is fine it also lightens up a bit with a few hundred rounds down the tube..and welcome to the Tavor club!
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How does Mepro quality stack up against brands like Aimpoint and EOTech? Are they on par? Until the Tavor came out I never heard of them.
View Quote

Like the Tavor, Israeli battle tested! "Mepro TRU-DOT RDS’s battery life is now 15,000-18,000 hours on maximum
brightness from a single lithium AA battery. That’s further extended by a
motion sensor activated power saving mode." Beats the heck out of my EOtech battery life by miles.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a rail Tavor and ended up with the Mepro 21 on top (the X reticle). I like it because it does not need batteries and it is always on, however it does have some washout issues.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Im using an eotech and the shooting sight trigger pack in mine...it's all a matter of personal preference but i've found that is what works best for me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy the standard. The Mepro M21 is a great sight though and I love mine. Bright tritium, works really well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy what you would feel the most comfortable owning.  For me, that was a flattop FDE, but I already had an EOTech waiting for it--so I had no need to spend the extra for the IDF version.  If I hadn't had the EOTech, I would've thought more about the other.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
get the flat top version so you have the flexibility to use any optic you want.
View Quote

This.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 to the flat top so you can use whatever.

I took the reset spring out of mine before I fired the first shot.  After zeroing/breaking it in with 180 rds, I ran it through a local 3 gun competition in slightly muddy conditions.  Ran perfectly, and I got 13th out of 30, which I was more than satisfied with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meprolight has been around longer than EOTech and just as long maybe a little longer than Aimpoint.  It is good quality military grade stuff.

I went back and forth over this question as well and finally decided to go with the FT version.  Even if you add the Mepro sight, you will have more options

I think the FT model is slightly sexier as well
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I am using an Aimpoint M4 on mine.

No, the triggers are not bad.  I even have a stock trigger pack as a backup.

I will take a stock Tavor trigger over the highly overrated HK trigger systems (MP5, G3, HK91, HK94, etc).

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a rail Tavor and ended up with the Mepro 21 on top (the X reticle). I like it because it does not need batteries and it is always on, however it does have some washout issues.

View Quote

Putting on the kill flash helped quite a bit on mine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where'd you get a killflash for it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I have fired the issue Tavor, I noticed no difference.  I fire my Tavor right next to friends with their ARs and aftermarket triggers, yet I routinely score higher than they do.

Also, I work in the gun industry.  I came to the conclusion long ago that the American mentality, in regards to trigger pull, can be summed up to this:  "They don't want anything heavier than 2-3 lbs and they don't want to move their finger more than a few millimeters".

Stock AR triggers are just fine, as are stock Glock triggers as well.  Yet, I sell and install several aftermarket triggers for both of these weapons on a regular basis.  The SIG P250 pretty much failed out of the gate based on its DAO trigger, and even though I hate the gun on general grounds, the trigger is just fine to me.

Of course, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#18]
The newest M21 sights come with killflash in the box now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#20]
If you compare the stock Tavor trigger to a single stage Timney AR-15 trigger then you will be of the opinion that the "trigger sucks."

If you compare the stock Tavor trigger to something that isn't irrelevant, like, say, other fucking bullpups, then the trigger is excellent.

If you compare the stock Tavor trigger to itself it is good.

It's kind of like a Honda Accord.   If you compare it to a Ferrari then it doesn't measure up and it "sucks."   If you compare it to a Model T or a horse then it is absolutely amazing.   If you judge it on it's own merits then it is a pretty good piece of machinery.

I will be getting a ShootingSight TAV-D aftermarket trigger eventually, but that isn't out of necessity to "fix" something that I irrationally perceive to be "wrong."   I simply prefer lighter trigger pulls than the standard trigger provides.  The stock 5.5lb  trigger on a Glock is great but some people prefer to replace it with a 2 lb trigger because of personal preference but it doesn't make the original trigger "bad" by any measure.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you compare the stock Tavor trigger to a single stage Timney AR-15 trigger then you will be of the opinion that the "trigger sucks."

If you compare the stock Tavor trigger to something that isn't irrelevant, like, say, other fucking bullpups, then the trigger is excellent.

If you compare the stock Tavor trigger to itself it is good.

It's kind of like a Honda Accord.   If you compare it to a Ferrari then it doesn't measure up and it "sucks."   If you compare it to a Model T or a horse then it is absolutely amazing.   If you judge it on it's own merits then it is a pretty good piece of machinery.

I will be getting a ShootingSight TAV-D aftermarket trigger eventually, but that isn't out of necessity to "fix" something that I irrationally perceive to be "wrong."   I simply prefer lighter trigger pulls than the standard trigger provides.  The stock 5.5lb  trigger on a Glock is great but some people prefer to replace it with a 2 lb trigger because of personal preference but it doesn't make the original trigger "bad" by any measure.
View Quote

I agree completely. Compared to an AUG or FS2000 trigger, the Tavor's feels amazing. It's a damn good trigger actually, it's just heavy. Most of the rest of the world doesn't get whiney about something like a 12lb trigger pull on a combat rifle. The much lauded FAL that is one of the best guns ever made has a shitty, heavy trigger that's much worse than the Tavor's.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I got my Tavor used, the original owner pulled out that one trigger spring everyone is talking about pulling that might cause light primer strikes. No light primer strikes and for a bullpup I thought the trigger was fantastic. I have an MSAR and it is loads better.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got my Tavor used, the original owner pulled out that one trigger spring everyone is talking about pulling that might cause light primer strikes. No light primer strikes and for a bullpup I thought the trigger was fantastic. I have an MSAR and it is loads better.
View Quote

MSAR is better, or TAVOR is better?
I shoot my msar fine, I don't notice anything but haven't shot my TAVOR yet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Standard Tavor with Aimpoint Pro.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am using an Aimpoint M4 on mine.

No, the triggers are not bad.  I even have a stock trigger pack as a backup.

I will take a stock Tavor trigger over the highly overrated HK trigger systems (MP5, G3, HK91, HK94, etc).

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/FDE_Tavor_4.JPG
View Quote

I have a VORTEX SPARC on mine. I really like the compactness. At some point, I may consider putting an Aimpoint PRO or a Mepro on it, but there is no need to right now. As far as the TAVOR trigger is concerned, I have no problem with it. I can even transition from an AR to the TAVOR with out any problem. You just adjust and get use to it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top