Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:04:42 PM EDT
Anyone had any issues installing an AAC mount on the AUG? I seem to remember a picture where there was a massive gap between the barrel shoulder and muzzle device.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
In for a view and an answer.

OP, what was the procedure to get to this point with your aug; I have one and will be where you are in a week or two?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
No problems encountered with mine. No gap either.

Two 19mm wrenches are needed to get the flash hider and check nut off.
A 3/4" wrench is 19.05mm and will work without damaging the original parts.
Unfortunately not any wrench will work. The width of a standard wrench is too wide.
If you have a "tappet wrench", a grinder, or are just lucky, that is the only way for it to work.
Not all tappet wrenches are created equal though...

19mm MAC tappet wrench:

3/4" Craftsman tappet wrench:
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
maleante to the rescue. Again. For me anyway.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In for a view and an answer.

OP, what was the procedure to get to this point with your aug; I have one and will be where you are in a week or two?
View Quote

Haven't gotten to this point yet. Wanted to figure out all the issues before I start taking wrenches to things.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You gotta use heat to get the originals off they are a bitch if you don't.. After that they are no problem.. Done 11 so far all operations went well
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 to all above info. I use the AAC tool on Blackouts due to the flats being so small.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Getting the original check nut and flash hider off was the biggest PITA in the process for me. I got the "proper" sized wrenches from the home improvement store, only to find out they were too wide to engage with the check nut and flash hider separately. I managed to get a hold of one of the two and gave it a Karate Kit kick to get it off. I'd follow Maleante's advice above and get the exact wrenches he's mentioned. Sucks to have to go out and buy new wrenches, but it sucks more buying one only to find out it won't work!

You'll find that the threaded end of the naked barrel has a weird step-cut where there is no threading. The AAC FH takes this into account and it covers up this area nicely with no unsightly gaps.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep you have to grind the wrenches down so the can grab without binding on each other .. A few min on a grinding wheel and Wala
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone tried bicycle "cone wrenches"?  They're very thin and come in a 19mm size.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:03:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried bicycle "cone wrenches"?  They're very thin and come in a 19mm size.
View Quote

I suspect you'd be likely to damage the wrench and mar the devices.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#11]
My neighbor is  gearhead. He's got the ultimate set of tools!

I'm unsure whether heat is needed to break it loose; that's where the gearhead comes in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My neighbor is  gearhead. He's got the ultimate set of tools!

I'm unsure whether heat is needed to break it loose; that's where the gearhead comes in.
View Quote

The factory uses loctite 648 to install them. You need to heat to 250' C.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh, this means I can fire up a candle and hold the barrel over it? Just like I did when I needed to replace the grip bushings on my combat commander?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#14]
A candle? Did you try the MAP PRO candle?

much more efficient
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:55:14 AM EDT
[#15]
No. More like the dinner candles we used when my brother-in-law's brother-in-law kept knocking out the power in my house!

I will talk to my neighbor and give him the information regarding temp.

Thanks maleante.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top