Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2014 11:56:11 AM EDT
I was thinking about building a lightweight AR for my fiancee, probably as a pistol w/ a Sig arm brace. She's complained that my ARs are "too heavy," but I suspect its a matter of balance rather than weight. This got me thinking about getting a bullpup rather than doing up an AR pistol then waiting ~9 months for a stamp.

Specifically I was thinking about an AUG A3, probably with the NATO stock. Anyone have experience with petite shooters' feelings on a bullpup?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
PS90 is very comfortable for smaller statured shooters
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Aug is surprisingly heavy. The tavor felt like it was lighter/had better balance. The PS90 is also light and VERY easy to shoot with little recoil.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
My female friends give the edge to the Aug over the Tavor (not by much). You really can't go wrong with either + PS90!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The AUG and Tavor weigh virtually the same.

I would classify the AUG as being balanced over the pistol grip, with the Tavor being tail-end heavy.

The lightest of the current bullpup options is the FS2000 at around 7.5/6 pounds, if my memory is correct.  

I will admit, though, that I have no idea what the new M17S weighs.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Specifically I was thinking about an AUG A3, probably with the NATO stock. Anyone have experience with petite shooters' feelings on a bullpup?
View Quote

AUG is the crowd-pleaser IME.  Several small-statured female shooters have been instantly enamored of it - over a Tavor and 16" AR-15s when side-by-sided.  I've not weighed them, but I feel like the AUG is lighter than the FS2000.  I'm in the minority here, but my #1 = AUG, #2 = FS2000, #3 = Tavor.  I've got one pissed off buddy whose wife now wants an AUG, and a pleased-as-punch buddy whose daughter is saving up for an AUG, plus a handful of teen boys who are also saving their pennies madly....  

AUG uber alles
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
PS90 is what I always let kids and petite women shoot. Lighter, less recoil and shorter length of pull.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote to check out the PS90.  You will love it too - it  is tiny & easy to tuck anywhere, completely ambi, no recoil, accurate & was born for 50rd mags.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my Tavor, but LOP is kinda long on it. Definitely something to think about for a smaller shooter if applicable.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't want to make this another "o hey AUG or Tavor??" thread but I was really only considering something in 5.56 right now. Nothing against the P/PS90
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Your post reminded me of this photo on Steyr's facebook page. She looks petite.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#11]
The new M17S, despite being all metal, is 7.4 pounds, which makes it the lightest bullpup chambered in 5.56x45 currently in production; It also has the best trigger of any bullpup ever (seriously, the trigger really is amazing).  You can even adjust LOP by changing out the Butt Pad.

Edited to make pedantic people happy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The new M17S, despite being all metal, is 7.4 pounds, which makes it the lightest bullpup currently in production; It also has the best trigger of any bullpup ever (seriously, the trigger really is amazing).  You can even adjust LOP by changing out the Butt Pad.
View Quote

PS90 is lighter by a pound.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#13]
The AUG works great for women, my daughter is 5'1:
http://i59.tinypic.com/157m8up.jpg
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
PS90 is very comfortable for smaller statured shooters
View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Not a bullpup but what about a beretta storm?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Even with an AUG or Tavor it sounds as though it's a situation where the rifle is
just too heavy overall and not a case of balance...

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Length of pull is the biggest issue--most bullpupa are 4-5" too long.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

What?  For a 10yo, maybe, but for anyone over 50-60lbs, I don't think so.

I do agree that the Tavor LOP is noticeably longer than the AUG and seems less suitable for small statured folks.  I've also heard some in the Tavor vs AUG threads claim the exact opposite, so take that for what it's worth.

Richard
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

that might be true for 'normal' layout carbines/rifles but not bullpups.  the super short LoP that the hs/ld kids are using now a days is specifically to make maneuvering in close quarters faster with weapons that are usually longer than a bullpup (a 14.5" M4 is about 4" longer than a 16" AUG).

way back in the day i was taught that one should go with the longest LoP that is comfortable for better accuracy

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]

While it doesn't exactly answer your question, have you considered a Kriss Vector?  They may not be the sexiest looking carbine, but I have yet to find a female shooter who doesn't shoot it and be very surprised when I tell them that they just shot 25 rds.

And to your OP, I lean towards the AUG in the Steyr vs IMI debate, but either will be sure to satisfy.  Get a 9mm kit for the AUG and put a smile on everyone's face.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I do agree that the Tavor LOP is noticeably longer than the AUG and seems less suitable for small statured folks.  I've also heard some in the Tavor vs AUG threads claim the exact opposite, so take that for what it's worth.

Richard
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Richard

I'm 6' tall and like about an 11" length of pull on a carbine. 14.25 on a sporting rifle and an inch more on a double.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Place holder for this exact question we just did a huge study on with over 10 female shooters..will post up my write up soon..
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

For comparison, here is my 14.5" AR (before the lpk) at the shortest stock position and my tavor with a 16.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Your trigger hand is too far out and your other hand too close to that one.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Your trigger hand is too far out and your other hand too close to that one.
View Quote

It's actually very comfortable and stable.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:15:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Richard
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Richard

Actually the LOP is about the same on the AUG and Tavor
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:49:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
She's complained that my ARs are "too heavy," but I suspect its a matter of balance rather than weight.
View Quote

You are probably correct.  My wife is very petite, and she used to say that a gun was "too heavy", when in actuality, it was just too long.  My field shotgun is lighter than my AR15, yet much longer - and she cannot shoot it well.  The AR15, however, she can shoot just fine.

If a bullpup is up your alley, give it a try.  The pistol AR15 might do her quite well, though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Yoyu make an ar15 pistol with 10.5 inch barrel that is shorter OAL and have a shorter LOP,...and ALOT lighter than a Tavor or an AUG... not only that .. it will have a better trigger. I love  the AUG but passing below a ceratin level of strength the AUG is a beast of a rifle, my wife did not like it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Can you take her to a gun store so she can handle the different options?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yoyu make an ar15 pistol with 10.5 inch barrel that is shorter OAL and have a shorter LOP,...and ALOT lighter than a Tavor or an AUG... not only that .. it will have a better trigger. I love  the AUG but passing below a ceratin level of strength the AUG is a beast of a rifle, my wife did not like it.
View Quote

Well, my SB15-equipped AR pistol is 7.5" barrel but I've yet to find anyone of any stature who prefers it to my AUG.  Shooters who appreciate the irony/interest factor of an AR pistol like shooting it a few times, but when given the choice between the two, ALL the shooters (big or small, male or female) go back and pick the AUG up.

YMMV, etc, but based on my experiences, I personally would NOT say that an AR pistol is likely to appeal to a small-statured shooter more than a bullpup - especially an AUG.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#31]
PS90 - light and compact.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#32]
The PS90 is what you seek.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife is 5' 3" and loves my AUG over my other non-bullpup rifles.  It's hard for her to keep her arms extended on all my other guns without "chick leaning".  AUG is perfect for her.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top