Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2014 3:14:20 PM EDT
So I recently picked up a new OD green AUG A3 from Pete and had some questions about the current A3 offerings from steyr.

So the first thing that I noticed was that my A3 has absolutely no markings under the receiver. The only markings on my receiver are Steyrs markings on the side. Is this something new for the line or has vltor stopped producing receivers?

Secondly it seems that my A3 has a different style rail from other A3s. I've noticed it with other A3s in picture threads but it seems Steyr is making two different sizes of the factory rail, one that extends out over the collar of the barrel and one that only goes over it about half way. Why did Steyr end up going with two different lengths for the factory rail? I knew about the Military high rail (which I'm looking for) but didn't know the factory rail has different versions.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
How about a pic?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Compared to

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:12:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Subtle but noticable now that you mention it.

My A3 looks the same as your OD. Less rail compared to the b&w pic you have.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:52:37 AM EDT
[#4]
There were 4 different upper rails + the military rail.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:31:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's strange, was there any reason for the different rails? And what are the other two? Is it just luck of the draw as to which one you get? And do you have any info on why my receiver isn't marked vltor maleante?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#6]
No idea on why the different rails. Some were leftovers from SDI, the rest who knows. I'll try to find out...
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Renesis, mine is like yours, except black. 1:7 twist, serial 6USA68x. No markings under the receiver. My top rail isn't numbered either, unlike the longer rail my Sabre A3 had. This newer A3 came from RSR Group in April.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow. I'm glad you posted this. I probably never would have noticed that I have one of each. The old one has 25 slots, and the new one has 23.

That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

With written permission from ATF the Steyr receivers that VLTOR machines no longer have to be marked VLTOR and their address. marked Steyr Arms and serial # now.

Rails, good question why they made a few different models? Testing the market.....

Thanks,
Pete Athens / Pja
704 668 7973
www.pjs-steyraug.com
www.steyrauga3cqc.com
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's strange, was there any reason for the different rails? And what are the other two? Is it just luck of the draw as to which one you get? And do you have any info on why my receiver isn't marked vltor maleante?

With written permission from ATF the Steyr receivers that VLTOR machines no longer have to be marked VLTOR and their address. marked Steyr Arms and serial # now.

Rails, good question why they made a few different models? Testing the market.....

Thanks,
Pete Athens / Pja
704 668 7973
www.pjs-steyraug.com
www.steyrauga3cqc.com

Wow, didn't know that. I thought it may have been a bit of a fluke coming out of the factory the way it did. Btw it shoots great Pete, and thanks again for all the help and awesome insight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought my Aug Nato 2 months ago and it has the same rail as your as well as no Vltor markings. i never noticed it before
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up another A3 receiver today.
I assume this is the last of the last of the A3's (or at least for now).
The top rail is the new 23 slot type that partially covers the gasblock. It IS numbered though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I picked up another A3 receiver today.
I assume this is the last of the last of the A3's (or at least for now).
The top rail is the new 23 slot type that partially covers the gasblock. It IS numbered though.
View Quote

Yup, guess we got some of the last as my od green a3 is numbered as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top