Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 3:59:28 PM EDT
I've posted several times about this, and am about to bite on one or the other.
Which has the better build quality?
Customer service and parts?
Accuracy?
The most fun to shoot?
Last, since I am always buying, selling, trading guns, which would be the easyest to sell on the used market without taking a hit?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
This has been done countless times, really...you're not going to get any info that isn't all over the place. Some prefer the AUG, some prefer the Tavor. They're both great rifles, and you can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I spent 3 months trying to decide between the two and went with an A3 Aug for my first bullpup.  I've only had it for 3 weeks.  Why the Aug, cause I think the lines of the gun are beautiful. The Tavor is a block, in comparison, sort of like a Glock, a  chunk of black functionality, it works like it should, but the Aug is a thing of beauty.  I like the quick barrel change ability, some reviewers said the trigger was better than the Tavor, I don't know. I have 400 rounds thru it, no problems, the trigger is a little heavy but usable. I put a leupold CQT 1x3 on it and it's a good fit.  It handles well, comes right up to your shoulder and the CQT is right there. I'm going to shoot it in 3 gun, it is very fast handling cause it's so short.  Been very happy with my purchase. I will probably buy a Tavor some time next year, cause suddenly I am into bullpups, just for something different. I thihk bullspups are the way of the future.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the AUG, but love the Tavor so much more. I shoot it better, can transition alot better.  I am biased against cross bolt safeties.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the aug , but I havnt shot a tavor
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Both are excellent infantry weapons produced by a military arms manufacturer....

I own/shoot both.

That said I prefer my Tavor.... It just works better for me...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot and played with both. I like the AUG. But I prefer the Tavor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I've owned both, still own the AUG A1 and A3.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Kept the AUG.....

main reason is having a buddy with a registered SEAR so I can play with it
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Accuracy?
The most fun to shoot?
Last, since I am always buying, selling, trading guns, which would be the easyest to sell on the used market without taking a hit?
View Quote

I owned both at the same time.
When I sold the Tavor, I added another AUG.

Build quality is probably equal.
Customer service, by far Steyr. I can get a hold of anyone at Steyr including the CEO - you can too. They are extremely fast to deal with as well.
Parts... AUG 1, Tavor 0. IWI's webstore where you can order parts supposedly will always be in the "next few days" ie who knows when.
Accuracy - pretty close to equal, but the Steyr has better barrels IMHO.
Fun to shoot? Anything is fun to shoot if you like to shoot.
The AUG has always held value well, there are more Tavors than AUG's which may play a role in valuation of one vs the other.

Buy whatever you want, Tavor is nice - but the AUG is nicer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
My Tavor fit me better, and the controls were easier for me than the AUG.

Just seemed to balance better, too.  Plus, AR mags.

But really, it's whichever one you like.  Just because I have a TAVOR doesn't mean I don't want an AUG NATO.....
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I've long wondered which one I would go with, I'm leaning towards the Tavor but just barely. I've never shot either.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Accuracy?
The most fun to shoot?
View Quote

Build quality is a draw IMHO.
Service and parts / I have not heard of anyone with a Tavor that needed service and parts are scarce at the present time.
Accuracy is likely a draw but the Tavor has a better aftermarket trigger available ( Shooting Sight ) that is a huge plus.
Both fun to shoot and even more fun if its someones (else) gun and ammo.

As for residual value its a crap shoot. ANYTHING imported is subject to the latest tragedy on the horizon or supply & demand as well as exchange rate on currency. I have never seen any HK loose value because they are not cheap to start with and neither is the Tavor or AUG.
The Tavor is new and popular so it may be in greater demand and could be an easier sell.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:14:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Many of you have heard my experience with the tavor, short stroking with all steel case ammo. (Response from IWI CEO was that sometimes there are 500 failures in every case of steel ammo in the tavor).

I sold it, and enjoy my AUG now.

That having been said, my tavor was a preorder and could have just been defective. I wouldn't mind trying another one some day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many of you have heard my experience with the tavor, short stroking with all steel case ammo. (Response from IWI CEO was that sometimes there are 500 failures in every case of steel ammo in the tavor).

That having been said, my tavor was a preorder and could have just been defective. I wouldn't mind trying another one some day.
View Quote

I've put around 3k steel case rounds through mine and never had any issues at all.

And to be clear, IWI's CEO didn't say that 500 failures in every case with the tavor was common. He said it had been known to happen, and pointed out that it isn't the tavor..it's the russians having extremely poor consistency in how the rounds are loaded. A lot of the steel case stuff is known to be very lightly loaded and causes a lot of issues in other rifles as well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:04:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah I have friends that have had no issues.

One mainly shoots his suppressed and has no issues either.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:06:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is why steel-cased ammo is not recommended. Think about it, Israel does not produce steel-cased ammo, not does the United States. Personally, I would never run that crap in my TAVOR nor any of my U.S.-made weapons, especially my ARs.

Now back to the subject at hand. I have own my TAVOR for a few months now. I have been a big AR guy for a few decades. I have always had the AUG on my list of weapons to own because of its significance in the world of firearms. When I saw the episode on Futureweapons several years ago where they featured the TAVOR and its development, I knew that I HAD to have one. It is a very impressive weapon. I thoroughly enjoy mine. I had to choose between the TAVOR and the AUG, the TAVOR would win hands down. I still would like to have an AUG to complete my Top 10 list, but it is on the back-burner for now. I have a TAVOR.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:16:03 AM EDT
[#17]
That's cool Jrs, but some of us still use steel case ammo in our AR's due to cost, availability, and convenience so it would be nice if my $1700 new gun would cycle it too.

AUG does (and has adjustable gas), tavor didn't.

I will still try another tavor. Ergonomics weren't bad. Price is dropping, accessories are becoming available.

If it still doesn't cycle steel it will go byebye again.

I buy guns to use, and use hard.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Now ,if you want a real world comparison ,I will have my Shooting sight trigger pack for the Tavor Friday or Monday .I already have the 2020 HTM pack for the Aug A3  . When I get a chance im going to mount the same scope ( Vortex Viper 1-4 ) on both and then the same Aimpoint Pro on both and see what they do side by side using 55 grain,62 grain , and 77 grain ammo . And just for fun im going to throw a M4 into the mix . All will have 16 inch barrels and be 1-7 twist. I will have a crono set up and shoot at 100 and 200 yards . And then shoot at 25 to 50 yards rapid fire . I have no doubt that all will preform well ,but I suspect in the end the BCM upper on a forged lower will be the winner when the smoke clears and the ammo is gone.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Now ,if you want a real world comparison ,I will have my Shooting sight trigger pack for the Tavor Friday or Monday .I already have the 2020 HTM pack for the Aug A3  . When I get a chance im going to mount the same scope ( Vortex Viper 1-4 ) on both and then the same Aimpoint Pro on both and see what they do side by side using 55 grain,62 grain , and 77 grain ammo . And just for fun im going to throw a M4 into the mix . All will have 16 inch barrels and be 1-7 twist. I will have a crono set up and shoot at 100 and 200 yards . And then shoot at 25 to 50 yards rapid fire . I have no doubt that all will preform well ,but I suspect in the end the BCM upper on a forged lower will be the winner when the smoke clears and the ammo is gone.
View Quote

Pics or it didnt happen
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#20]

These Tavor V AUG threads are really getting tiresome....
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

These Tavor V AUG threads are really getting tiresome....
View Quote

It would be nice if someone reputable could do a thorough review of the AUG and Tavor - and do it in a manner that includes all pertinent info that every "gun reviewer" thus far has been unfamiliar with.

I have yet to see a thorough comparison between the two, nor a thorough review of either or (which includes their strengths and weaknesses).

If that were to happen, sticky the damn article to the top and let people decide for themselves. Till then... AUG > Tavor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top