Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2014 1:12:59 PM EDT
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 16.5" Tavor, but can't decide on the color to get. I've already got a Black AR15 SBR, so I thought the FDE model would be cool, but keep thinking how impractical that color is for someone not living in/near the desert, and not working over in the sand box. I've seen a number of the FDE on line, but havn't been able to find a shop that has one in stock so I could see it in person. For those of you that bought the FDE model, do you have any regrets that you didn't get Black?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 16.5" Tavor, but can't decide on the color to get. I've already got a Black AR15 SBR, so I thought the FDE model would be cool, but keep thinking how impractical that color is for someone not living in/near the desert, and not working over in the sand box. I've seen a number of the FDE on line, but havn't been able to find a shop that has one in stock so I could see it in person. For those of you that bought the FDE model, do you have any regrets that you didn't get Black?
View Quote

Nope. Interestingly enough, black doesn't blend into nature pretty much anywhere you are. I could go outside and dump a black rifle and an FDE rifle on a grassy hill, back up a couple dozen feet, and the black will stick out WAY more. Pure, jet black is a color that doesn't really occur often in nature, and it draws attention. On a snow capped mountain... what's going to stick out more? A light earth tone, or black? Even at night... black shows up brighter under night vision than FDE. In bright and sunny conditions, FDE even stays cooler to the touch. I've got a ton of black rifles.. love them, love the look. I bought a FDE to be different, and I haven't regretted it a second.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Or....buy a black one and break out the Krylon fusion paint in flat green and gray
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Good points guys. I could definately go for a OD Green or Foliage Green. I'm sure they'll offer one shortly after I buy one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good points guys. I could definately go for a OD Green or Foliage Green. I'm sure they'll offer one shortly after I buy one.
View Quote

IWI are releasing OD green, and Sniper Grey but not until the end of this year if i remember correctly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Black is fine.....

Besides - when the post apocalyptic flesh eating zombies come - you can always buy a can of Krylon...
....and even then I don't plan on being out during the daytime .....

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
FDE

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

IWI are releasing OD green, and Sniper Grey but not until the end of this year if i remember correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See....I knew it.
But I kinda want one now and don't wanna wait until December for the OD.
I don't have a lot of patience.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Flip a coin if you cant decide.
( Black here )

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked FDE because all my other "tactical" guns are black.  I wanted to have something different in my collection and an FDE Tavor fit the bill nicely.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally I think the Tavor looks better in black.

Other gus, like a scar for example, I think look better in FDE.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I picked FDE because all my other "tactical" guns are black.  I wanted to have something different in my collection and an FDE Tavor fit the bill nicely.  

http://i.imgur.com/K7oYoW7l.jpg
View Quote
Word for word, this.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:05:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Personally I think the Tavor looks better in black.

Other gus, like a scar for example, I think look better in FDE.
View Quote

+1 This.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I went with black......most IDF guns I have seen are black, and everything else I have is black, so black it is............
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I live in southern Az   and got mine in FDE.     However, I got it that way more for function than looks.   Black guns get NOTICABLY hotter in the sun out here than  the tan ones do.    Personally I think the black one "look" better.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:03:46 AM EDT
[#15]
FDE is excellent camouflage. Here on the plains there is a lot of prairie grass. Dirt is FDE in color. Local code is a nuetral brown color for most buildings. I wear earth tones in all of my clothing as suburban city camo to match the background without standing out in a crowd. If I'm wearing earth tones and I'm holding a FDE rifle from 50 yards you probably won't be able to tell. With a black rifle it will be easily picked out.

My philosophy anyways. Can you tell I put some thought into it?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I went with whatever was the best deal I could find and that happened to be black, with an 18" barrel.  Get what you want, I would have been happy either way.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I went with black, it's kinda traditional.  I figure if we're ever overrun by the chicoms I'll have time to hit it with Krylon Camo before I have to bug out ...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I watched about a dozen You Tube videos on the Tavor, and literally went back-and-forth about 20 times on which color to get, and decided to go with a Black Tavor in 16.5" barrel length. I found a new one for $1650 shipped, which appears to be a fairly good price in today's market, and a much better price than when they were initially released. If I really like the rifle, I will probably end up getting an FDE model in 18" barrel length in true ARFCOM....."get both".....fashion. I'm thinking it would make a nice tax return present to myself in 6 months.

I agree with those who made comments about a rifle blending in with the land, and that Black is not the best at doing so. But I already have some ideas about how to add some OD Green accents to it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I want to buy a second myself, just to keep it set up as a 9mm if nothing else.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I want to buy a second myself, just to keep it set up as a 9mm if nothing else.
View Quote

I've got a butterfly in my stomach for an X95 SMG in 9mm with correct 11" barrel. I really hope IWI releases a 16" barrel SBR-ready version of it.
Since its already a production gun in Israel, I'm thinking we will see that before we see a .308 Tavor.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm waiting patiently for mine to get here..............
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#22]
No OD green love?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No OD green love?
View Quote

None on the market yet, I don't think.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#24]
My FDE should be at my FFL's Mon. or Tues. I will definitely want an OD when they come out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I think the OD green ones are starting to ship.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top