Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 7:19:34 PM EDT
The Electronic Arms .22LR bullpup!

Because OAL is measured with a telescoping or folding stock in the fully extended / unfolded state for federal OAL measurement, a bullpup can be shorter than 26" when the stock is telescoped, and yet still not be considered an SBR, provided the barrel is long enough (provided you aren't in Michigan or similar states with different legal short-barrel definitions).

The EA bullpup also has adjustable trigger travel to 0.1 millimeter and pull weight adjustable down to 10 grams. This is made possible due to the fire-by-wire electronic trigger system.

The rifle can be taken down for cleaning or storage with a single bolt. The receiver separates from the barrel-block and picatinny rail, so that the alignment from scope to bore isn't disturbed during takedown.

The rifle accepts .920" diameter bull barrels for Ruger 10-22, as well as 10-22 magazines. It uses standard Ruger bolts and action parts, so replacements will always be available if you lose a spring.
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/BulZiPhoto/bullpup_18_rra-PDRcopy.jpg

Even with an 18" barrel, it is shorter than a folded 16" rock river PDR.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/BulZiPhoto/bullpup_18_28_barrelcopy.jpg

With the stock extended and an 18" barrel, it is longer than 28" OAL (28" bbl shown for comparison).
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Price?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link to photos?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Judging by the name, does it have an electronic trigger?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
The ATF doesn't like those.  Watch yer corn hole.

Outside of that, an adjustable LOP bullpup is interesting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
http://m.imgur.com/a/vt2Qz
The link above is a fairly recent atf tech branch letter. Question 21 and answer 21 make it pretty clear that atf considers 1 shot per pull electronic triggers on semiauto rifles legal, even in the context of ar-15 rifles.
http://m.imgur.com/a/vt2Qz

The pardini sp1-e and matchguns MG2E are examples of legal electronic semiautomatic pistols sold for over a decade. The blanket administrative ban on electronic triggers is an internet myth arising from a letter dealing with a motor on a Gatling or crank trigger, which is a mg since more than one shot per pull.

Certain Electronic semi auto pistols are even specifically legal in CA by statute.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#8]
So is the electronic part just hitting the factory trigger or is there some kind of solenoid firing pin or something?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Tagged, I thought it was a blanket ban due to the ease of conversion ~ considered a MG conversion part.        

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, there perhaps may have been someone at one point who spoke to a field agent and got some bad info about readily restorable = blanket ban. However, electronic triggers on semiautos are perfectly, firmly legal. ATF Tech Branch has always consistently maintained this and there are many examples that have been for sale for years, used at Olympics, etc. Now, in the past, prices have been in the $2500-$25000 range, but there is no reason that the technology needs to be that expensive.

Another trap people fall into is "paintball" triggers. You can't have anything that stores signal information up, and then releases a burst later. It has to be strictly one-pull-one-shot, no storage of signal, no "paintball ramping" etc. Easiest way to assure legality is to have an all analog system with no microcontroller, no software in the firing system at all, which the Electronic Arms bullpup has. Now, that isn't to say the gun itself can't have a microcontroller on it, just easiest to keep out of the firing system.

The Tracking Point AR-15 has an embedded Linux computer that is wired to the trigger, so it is even possible to add software to the mix if done very carefully, but that is not the typical "rubber-stamp, it's legal" electronic trigger situation. The Tracking Point isn't so much an electronic trigger as an electronic safety release on a manual trigger. I don't know that the trigger pull is outstanding, like on the Olympic guns.

If you go to the Electronic Arms facebook page, you can see a video of the guts firing with the side-plate removed from the receiver. The guy just sneaks up on it with the edge of his finger sideways.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I will be all over one of these.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#12]
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/BulZiPhoto/takedown_cropped_lowres.jpg
If 25" OAL (stock stowed) with an 18" barrel isn't compact enough for you, it is a takedown - 1 allen bolt, and the allen wrench is stowed near the battery compartment. The scope/red dot stays mated to the barrel the whole time, so the point of impact won't get messed up. Plus, you can clean from chamber to crown easy. Also note that instead of the little stubby barrel tenon that most Ruger 10-22s use to support the whole weight of the barrel, this thing mates using the tenon plus an inch and a half of bull barrel. It is built like a brick house. The takedown hook pulls the cylinder of the barrel down and inward into the machined mating surfaces in the front of the receiver. Feels like one solid block of metal.

The electrical connection from front-to-back is two blind-mate terminals, so you don't have to mess with any wires (that's kinda jazzy ).

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/BulZiPhoto/left_lowres.jpg
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting will be watching progress

What is the weight?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/BulZiPhoto/takedown_cropped_lowres.jpg

If 25" OAL (stock stowed) with an 18" barrel isn't compact enough for you, it is a takedown - 1 allen bolt, and the allen wrench is stowed near the battery compartment. The scope/red dot stays mated to the barrel the whole time, so the point of impact won't get messed up. Plus, you can clean from chamber to crown easy. Also note that instead of the little stubby barrel tenon that most Ruger 10-22s use to support the whole weight of the barrel, this thing mates using the tenon plus an inch and a half of bull barrel. It is built like a brick house. The takedown hook pulls the cylinder of the barrel down and inward into the machined mating surfaces in the front of the receiver. Feels like one solid block of metal.

The electrical connection from front-to-back is two blind-mate terminals, so you don't have to mess with any wires (that's kinda jazzy ).

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/BulZiPhoto/left_lowres.jpg
View Quote
You have my attention.

Tell us more.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#15]
This is interesting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll just put this here.... pictures and details make ALL the difference in the world!

I'm in
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Weight of aluminum barrel block, receiver, action, and bolt group is 4.5 lbs but this can be reduced 15% by milling some additional pockets. A 16.5" aluminum shrouded .920" dia barrel weighs another lb, for a total 5.5lbs. A steel 18" bull weighs 3.1 lbs. So far it has been shot with 18" and 28" barrels.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#18]
The plan for the .22LR bullpup is to get into initial production and be ready to ship in time for pre-Christmas delivery. We are still making some decisions on weight, ergonomics, etc.

Everyone in the shop has a different comb-to-scope preference. As shown, the initial prototype is a true flat top. The top surface of the Picatinny rail is the same as the top surface of the stock comb, so I use a 1-inch riser mount under a red dot, as shown. I figure, it is easier to add height (and quick detachability) with a riser mount than it is to take away height built into the gun, as is the strategy of many bullpups with integral rise in the comb-to-rail. Does anyone here have an opinion on optimal comb-to-rail?

Another question - how much heel-to-toe on the stock? What is shown is 125mm (just under 5") - This is about a quarter inch shorter than Magpul CTR. Any strong opinions on this? Should there be multiple options for the stock buttplate, such that people can choose how much comb-to-toe height they want?

Length-of-Pull is currently adjustable from 12.5 to 15.7 inches at the stock and you can add 0.5" with a trigger shoe. Is that a good range for typical shooters? We have a lot of tall people, as well as people who like to shoot with a compact posture.

Weight - Right now, everything but the barrel weighs in at 4.5lbs, but the receiver is extremely overbuilt, and no real effort has been made to trim weight from the back half. An aluminum shrouded 16.5" 0.920" bull barrel weighs one pound, but an 18" steel bull barrel weighs 3.1 lbs, nearly the weight of the rest of the rifle. What is a good goal for weight reduction? Center of mass is right at the thumbweb of the pistol grip with a steel 18" barrel and rear-mounted compact red dot.

If these sell well enough, a centerfire version will follow...  "Like" the Electronic Arms facebook page for updates, and to give us an idea how much interest there is.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#19]
This looks awesome.

Keep it simple, keep it as cheap as possible.

Please let us know your projected price point.  

Please make the 9mm model use Glock magazines.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top