Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2014 8:55:10 AM EDT
Had a great day at the range today with my Tavor and AAC SDN. Had the breakout put on a couple weeks ago and was just waiting to have a day to take it out to the range and try it out.
The Tavor is a 16 inch barell with the breakout muzzle device and the 7.62 SDN Suppressor. I did my initial zeroing without the suppressor just to see how the muzzle device functioned. It did a nice job of taking up some of the recoil. I didn't expect the amount of blast it produced and it knocked over a bottle of CLP I had on the bench next to me.
I was using and EOtech 512 while I'm saving up for a different optic to put on the Tavor. It only took about 15-20 rounds to get it dialed in and hitting the bullseye consistently at the 50 yd range. Afterwards I did some off hand and really the liked the six points of contact style that the Israelis use. I've shot some high power and Garand matches so the tight ergonomics felt good and I was able to keep decent groups.
Moved over to the 100 yd range and put another 40 rounds down range.  Had to make some small adjustments to the elevation but I was punching the center out and keeping consistent groups.
I did learn something valuable today. Suppressors get very hot very quick. I accidentally melted part of the bag I was using as a rest. I didn't realize the can was as close to the bag as it was. Now I have a little bit of the bag melted to the can, oops.
I also learned first hand just how dirty a suppressor is. I had a nice bit of carbon on the side of my face.  
I did have a PMAG fail to feed, I believe because of the amount of fouling being pushed through the mag well into the magazine. I attempted to pull he trigger and click no boom.  Opened the bolt and I couldn't see any rounds or the follower...bad news.  Ejected the mag and cleared the rifle.  Checked the magazine and saw that I still had about five rounds left but they were not advancing up the magazine. The follower was stuck and very dirty. This was the first use of that mag with that rifle during the day so it had only had about 25 rounds put through it before it failed to feed.
The PMAGS had been stored fully loaded for a few months and I on,y had issues with that one mag for failure to feed.
I did have another PMAG fail to lock open the bolt on the last round. It also happened with a 20 round GI Colt magazine towards the end of the day.
Total round count for the day was 200 rounds. The first 30 were not suppressed.
I was using Federal 5.56 ball ammo. I'll grab a pic of the box to get the bullet type and lot.
Climate for the day was seasonably cool at 71 degrees F. Winds were 10-15 knots north to south so they were going left to right across the range. Not sure about the humidity but didn't feel to bad. It had rained earlier in the morning and a weather front had moved through.
Had a lot of curious folks on the range that asked me what I was shooting and were impressed with how quiet the suppressor made the rifle when I put it on. The guys next to me were thankful because the person at the bench before me was shooting something that very loud. Not sure what it was though.
I'll post up some target and rifle pics shortly.
Any questions or comments are always welcome.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#2]
PIc? I'd really like to see that setup having shot a 16" Tavor.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
AAC M4-2000 can on my Tavor and no issues with gas in the face.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you like the Elcan with the Tavor?  That's what I'm saving up for now.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Deleted double pic.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Upper left is the first five shot group at 100 yds.

Middle has two five shot groups in it.

Fourth group in the nine ring was my off hand had a few flyers in it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I will add a better pic of the whole rifle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Uninformed question: on this rifle, you just replaced the flash hider with a muzzle device that will accept a can, right? Did you shorten the barrel at all?
Looking into possibly doing this as well.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:00:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uninformed question: on this rifle, you just replaced the flash hider with a muzzle device that will accept a can, right? Did you shorten the barrel at all?
Thanks
View Quote

If you shorten the barrel at all, you've made an SBR. The barrel is slightly longer than 16", but that is to meet the overall length requirement.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How do you like the Elcan with the Tavor?  That's what I'm saving up for now.
View Quote

Love it.
After having one and using it I cant imagine NOT having it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks
View Quote

I added an extended keymod handguard on 16" TAVOR. As you can see, just the FH sticks out just a little bit passed the flashlight. It kind of gives it that SBR look.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Correct. I just changed out the OEM flash hider for an AAC breakout that is the quick attach mount for the can.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#17]
jrs93accord,

Have you tried any other muzzle devices with that hand guard?  I really like the look of that but not sure if I could still fit my suppressor on with that installed. I like the idea of having the light mounted into the hand guard.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
jrs93accord,

Have you tried any other muzzle devices with that hand guard?  I really like the look of that but not sure if I could still fit my suppressor on with that installed. I like the idea of having the light mounted into the hand guard.
View Quote

I have not tried any other muzzle devices. I am more than likely going to stay with the A2 because the lower part of it shields the light from the blast. If I did not have the light, I would have looked at replacing the FH with something different. As far as fitting a suppressor with this handguard, it would be a snug fit, if it was able to fit at all. Midwest Ind. does make a handguard that is not extended that would allow for your suppressor.

TAVOR Keymod Handguard
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I added an extended keymod handguard on 16" TAVOR. As you can see, just the FH sticks out just a little bit passed the flashlight. It kind of gives it that SBR look.

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/003_zpsb3fb77b0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/003_zpsb3fb77b0.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/003_zpsb3fb77b0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/003_zpsb3fb77b0.jpg</a>

I am not a fan of the Tavor but that looks very nice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:23:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you shorten the barrel at all, you've made an SBR. The barrel is slightly longer than 16", but that is to meet the overall length requirement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

Thanks ShadowAngel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top