Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 10:03:32 AM EDT
Ok guys I need youalls opinions and suggestions on this. After having multiple woman and girls shoot a bunch of different weapons platforms every single one choose the Styer Aug  A3. So needless to say I am 27 and had to nut up and save some coins but finally was able to buy three NATO Augs for my daughters to have later in life (just never know what the next ten years will bring) and also one for my wife.

I love the platform and run mine pretty much stock with a t1, Troys, and a scout light and advanced armament can. But watching the girls over the past few months shoot mine and listing to them discuss the rife seems the only thing that is hard for any of them is the small charge handle. I see there are multiple ones on the market and would like if anyone on here has used them and can provide me with wisdom on which to purchase.

Gear Heads

OneSource Tactical

The Raptor

These are the ones I am looking at any advice or pictures would be a huge help. There is not much on the web as far as information on these.. Thanks Guys...
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Gearhead Works one a lot.  I tried the first manticore one (not the switchback) and it was terrible.  I dont have any experience with the others.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I like Gearhead Works one a lot; easy to install and is meta instead of plastic.  I tried the first manticore one (not the switchback) and it was terrible.  I dont have any experience with the others.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I've owned Steyr Augs from the A1 to the A3 and now have an A3. I put the Gear Head Works charging handle on my A3. It's outstanding. It's out of the way of my Elcan DR Specter scope, is large enough to quickly operate the bolt, and locks back like an MP5, allowing you to slap the handle down to recharge the weapon (again, like an MP5). I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
WAITING WAITING WAITING ON THE SWITCHBACK!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been through all of them.  Raptor, GHW and finally the Switchback.  The Switchback is the best charging handle.

The Raptor was OK, but it stuck out too far and the the receiver wore the plastic enough that it did not want to lock back.

The GHW was better, but it started to wear the finish on the auminum receiver.  I have a silver spot on my MSAR where the charging handle locks back.

The Raptor has two features that I like;  First, It has a polymer wear pad that does not wear on the receiver, and the wear pad is replaceable.
Second, it has a large handle that folds out of the way automatically when not needed.

I have an MSAR and an AUG A3.  Both of these rifles now wear a Switchback.  They have been through several range sessions with reloads and malfunction drills.  The Switchback performs very well.  The folding feature is nice to have when firing aroung a left side barricade.  The charging handle on a short bullpup tends to snag on a barricade.  This was a problem with the Raptor (The Tavor charging handle has the same problem).  A few times it pulled the bolt back and caused the bolt to unlock.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input guys. The switch block is interesting. Does it add a lot of weight or not to bad? Also since these are nato augs every mag change will require a cycle of the charge how have these held up? And are they pretty easy to fold out and charge quickly?

Also if anyone can post some pics of there charge handles maybe from the top, side, and front I would be so grateful I keep looking for pics and videos on YouTube to be able to see the angle and size of each only the raptor really has decent pics on the web. When I am done with all the set up I will have to do a full write up on the last year. I searched trying to get girls reviews and ideas on different weapon systems and can’t find much for info... Told my wife we need to do some YouTube videos for woman in discussing weapons and accessories that work for smaller framed female shooters..

Thanks guys for the help...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys. The switch block is interesting. Does it add a lot of weight or not to bad? Also since these are nato augs every mag change will require a cycle of the charge how have these held up? And are they pretty easy to fold out and charge quickly?

Thanks guys for the help...
View Quote

I have the GHW.  The plastic beaked thing (aka Raptor) didn't do it for me.  I like the GHW quite a bit, with the ply downside is the lack of folding means I have to lay the rifle on the right hand side for some 3 gun stages when they require a starting point of unloaded/bolt locked back.  I like the idea of the Switchback, but am waiting to see if Manticore releases a somewhat shorter version in the future.

Note that the A1s and A2s out there all required cycling the charging handle...we have a former customs agent who ran his (I believe A1?) AUG for 10+ years, and 70k+ rounds w/out issue, before finally losing the roll pin holding the CH in place.  
In short, I wouldn't really worry about it as a concern.

GHW:

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Switchback will provide the most finger hold, yet be low pro when not using it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the pic.. I watched a video on the Switch back and It seems like a really cool design. I noticed they are outta stock and I assume get sold out quickly.. I will keep a pirate eye on your web page.. Thanks again guys for the help.

Anyone else that can post any pics for me of charge handles or forward rail front grip combos with lights and such would be much appreciated.. Thanks again everyone..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top