Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 2:14:26 AM EDT
I pick up my 16" Tavor next week, and already have an Aimpoint T1 Micro (4 MOA) on a Bobro 1/3 cowitness QD mount, which I bought for it a little while back.

I wanted to run a magnifier with the Aimpoint, but have read that the dot gets distorted a lot with a magnifier......especially the 4 MOA T1......the consensus seems to be that its because of the short tube length of the T1.

With that said, I am about to Fo on an EOTech 3-4 and the G33 magnifier for it......I figure I can always sell the T1 and mount to recoup the money spent on the T1/mount later on.

Just wondering if any one is running an EOTech and magnifier on their Tavor, and how they like it.....?!?

I'm not open to an ACOG, or a 1-4x scope, as that isn't the route I'm wanting to go with my Tavor.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I really like the aimpoint on mine, but it does require a tight cheek weld to get the reticle near the center.
Fortunately I haven't noticed any shift in point of impact even when the dot is crowding the top of the window.

Haven't tried it with a magnifier tho.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you thought about an Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x?

I'm currently saving up for another one.  It weighs about the same (i think a tad less) than an eotech and mag set up, and in a shorter package.  I love the ability to switch instantly between 1-4x and you can even mount a RDS on top if you like (not that you need to with 1x lol)

....only downside is cost I picked up my last used one for $1,350
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm currently saving up for another one.  It weighs about the same (i think a tad less) than an eotech and mag set up, and in a shorter package.  I love the ability to switch instantly between 1-4x and you can even mount a RDS on top if you like (not that you need to with 1x lol)

View Quote

Yea.....I'm not spending more on the optic than I did on the gun.

...and ARMS mounts aren't my cup of tea, either....

Cool optics though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
EoTech  models with the 7mm riser put the reticle in perfect placement for cheek weld.
I was running a magnifier on mine and it did not distort the red dot iin anyway.
The center 1moa dot in the Eo is crisp and clear....
but in the end, I opted away from it as it just igot n the way more often than I was using it

The Elcan DR is a beautiful optic but just too much $$ for me.
(If I were getting deloyed I could see the need)
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I did test an Aimpoint T-1 Micro(2MOA)  looking through a  Trijcon TA33 x3 "Magnifier"....
Even the smaller 2MOA dot looks just slightly distorted.  Hm, I didn't know Micro's were allergic to magnifiers... Either that or its magnifying my astigmatism.

Over the past year Ive had the chance to try out several popular optics with the Tavor....
Considering reliability, weight, and ease of operation the Micro and that TA33 are the two I'm going with for now... Just usually not simultaneously.

As for mounts? I prefer them all higher (lower1/3) height and QD that will hold zero.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I'm running and the price is well worth it to me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

got a pic? I'm saving up for another one since I stupidly sold my last one.  I may sell my PS90 to fund one, but haven't brought myself to do it...and my girlfriend would likely kill me since she called dibs on PS90
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Hmmm......sell the P90 your girlfriend calls hers.....to fund a Elcan

(...mistake)
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hmmm......sell the P90 your girlfriend calls hers.....to fund a Elcan

(...mistake)
View Quote

Sounded better in my head .... lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I've run both an Eotech  w/ mag and a T1 w/mag.... And a Mepro m21 w/ mag on my Tavor. The Eotech reticle is so much more clean and sharp looking with a mag... With my vision it's a night and day difference. I highly recommend it. I had no issues w/ the T1 either... Once again w/ my vision the red dot is way cleaner than it is w/o a mag. I've used boh Eotech and Aimpoint mags. However the Primary Arms Long Eye Relief 3x mag is pretty darn close to their specs and quality at a much much much smaller price range. Just some food for thought. Heck, you can order an Eotech from PA and they throw in a free mag and mount for free, pay $50 dollars and you get the long eye relief mag (I recommend that one).
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've run both an Eotech  w/ mag and a T1 w/mag.... And a Mepro m21 w/ mag on my Tavor. The Eotech reticle is so much more clean and sharp looking with a mag... With my vision it's a night and day difference. I highly recommend it. I had no issues w/ the T1 either... Once again w/ my vision the red dot is way cleaner than it is w/o a mag. I've used boh Eotech and Aimpoint mags. However the Primary Arms Long Eye Relief 3x mag is pretty darn close to their specs and quality at a much much much smaller price range. Just some food for thought. Heck, you can order an Eotech from PA and they throw in a free mag and mount for free, pay $50 dollars and you get the long eye relief mag (I recommend that one).
View Quote

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to order a magnifier for the T1, and if it doesn't work, I'll just sell the T1, and get an EOTech.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm also an Eotech 516 with the 7mm riser and a G23 magnifier.  I havent had any issues :)
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:10:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm about to Fo on an EOTech HHS 1.....that's the EOTech 3-4 and the G33 Magnifier. Price is $925.

Should I do it?

I have my T1 Micro w/ Bobro mount listed in the EE, but if it doesn't sell in a reasonable amount of time, I'm gonna throw the T1 Micro on the PTR 91 A3R I'm about to buy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm about to Fo on an EOTech HHS 1.....that's the EOTech 3-4 and the G33 Magnifier. Price is $925.  Should I do it?  I have my T1 Micro w/ Bobro mount listed in the EE, but if it doesn't sell in a reasonable amount of time, I'm gonna throw the T1 Micro on the PTR 91 A3R I'm about to buy.
View Quote

I recommend going with the HHS II with the EXPS2-2 instead of the 3-4.  I have had both and the 3-4 has the dots too close together to really be useful.  Look at the photo below and see how the four dots seem to run together.  Without the magnifier they almost seem like a line down the center of the reticle.  With the 2-2 you actually have four aiming points anyways.  You have the center dot(100ysd), the second dot(25yds), the top of the 6 o'clock post(10yds), and the bottom of the 6 o'clock post(7yds).  These are rough figures and yours will vary depending on height over bore, projectile weight, and velocity but you get the idea.  I have five HHS II EXPS2-2/G33 combos that I use.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you like the Mepro with the magnifier. I have two Mepro 21s, but have never tried one with a magnifier...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I recommend going with the HHS II with the EXPS2-2 instead of the 3-4.  I have had both and the 3-4 has the dots too close together to really be useful.  Look at the photo below and see how the four dots seem to run together.  Without the magnifier they almost seem like a line down the center of the reticle.  With the 2-2 you actually have four aiming points anyways.  You have the center dot(100ysd), the second dot(25yds), the top of the 6 o'clock post(10yds), and the bottom of the 6 o'clock post(7yds).  These are rough figures and yours will vary depending on height over bore, projectile weight, and velocity but you get the idea.  I have five HHS II EXPS2-2/G33 combos that I use.

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/o/eotechreticles_13.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm about to Fo on an EOTech HHS 1.....that's the EOTech 3-4 and the G33 Magnifier. Price is $925.  Should I do it?  I have my T1 Micro w/ Bobro mount listed in the EE, but if it doesn't sell in a reasonable amount of time, I'm gonna throw the T1 Micro on the PTR 91 A3R I'm about to buy.

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/o/eotechreticles_13.png

Thank you very much for this - I did a little more research, and found that the 3-4 does seem very cluttered. I kinda wanted the NV capability, but if I ever get NVGs, I'll be using an IR laser, so the NV capability is kinda moot on the 3-4/HHS 1.

I just checked out DSG Arms, and they have the HHS 2 w/ 2-2 and G33 for $900, so that is the route I shall go.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How do you like the Mepro with the magnifier. I have two Mepro 21s, but have never tried one with a magnifier...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works well, just like any other RDS I suppose. Looks kind of funky and fugly if you care about that. I have the triangle and with my vision it cleans the sight up for me, esp. when inside. If you want to use your Tavor for longer range I would recommend it. But for 31 my eyes suck now and take comfort with magnification now, lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#18]
What magnifier do you use with the Mepro? Their own, or a different brand?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#19]
On the Mepro, how is the cheek weld on the Tavor?
I'm thinking about the model with the rail, and then adding a Mepro.
Reason I ask is because some say certain sights sit too low on the Tavor.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#20]
If you buy the Meprolight M-21 with the quick release mount it will co -witness with the Tavor rail and factory BUIS.   I've seen photo's of the M-21 where there have been numerous brands  3X magnifiers (PA, EO Tech, Mako, Vortex.) used without issue.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#21]
The Mepro M-21 was basically designed hand in hand with the Tavor, so yes, it pretty much matches up perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Mepro M-21 was basically designed hand in hand with the Tavor, so yes, it pretty much matches up perfectly.
View Quote

So, the height for the detachable Mepro on a railed Tavor should be the same as the height of the IDF model?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So, the height for the detachable Mepro on a railed Tavor should be the same as the height of the IDF model?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have one for comparison, but i'd think so yes. When I mounted my M21 to my railed Tavor...the sight was the closest to perfect ive ever had a freshly installed optic be. It was dead on the iron sights, only needing a click or two of windage to be perfect. If definitely doesn't sit too low.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Elcan for sure.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Ended up ordering the EOTech HHS2 for $899 at DSG Arms.

Thanks again for all the info. Decided that the 2-dot reticle would be better for me; especially since if I get night vision, I'll be running an IR laser anyway, instead of putting it behind the optic.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

So was the MOR, if you can swing the coin.... Fantastic optic BTW.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Elcan for sure.
http://hobbyhorse.com/guns/tavor.jpg
View Quote

So hot.  
I wish their patent would expire so other manufacturers could offer some competition.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Elcan for sure.
View Quote

I have weighed that option on the Tavor.    
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Elcan for sure.

I see what you did there.

Although, it weighs basically the same as a red dot with a magnifier  Plus with the way the Tavor carries it's weight it's really not noticeable; at least to me YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:50:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Thai Army is issuing the Tovar with Mepro.

I added the TWS-13 thermal sight to it today for training (I'm instructing them on the sight).  Only had two Tovars without 1913 Picatinnay rail so improvised on the side rail (has flex).  Zeroed the guns but just about every round was a failure to eject with all 12 shooters!  Ammo was issued M193 and we tried every mag there.  Very frustrating day.

CD
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:59:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thai Army is issuing the Tovar with Mepro.

<a href="http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=1052&u=16485401" target="_blank">http://i56.servimg.com/u/f56/16/48/54/01/dscf2013.jpg</a>

I added the TWS-13 thermal sight to it today for training (I'm instructing them on the sight).  Only had two Tovars without 1913 Picatinnay rail so improvised on the side rail (has flex).  Zeroed the guns but just about every round was a failure to eject with all 12 shooters!  Ammo was issued M193 and we tried every mag there.  Very frustrating day.

<a href="http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=1050&u=16485401" target="_blank">http://i56.servimg.com/u/f56/16/48/54/01/dscf2012.jpg</a>

CD
View Quote

ALL of the rifles had FTF's?  What kinds exactly?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Only had two rifles as stated.  Both had Failures to Eject and Extract.

CD
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

CD
View Quote

Something wrong there. Of all the criticism on the Tavor, being unreliable is not one of them. I've not seen ANY reports of it having those issues.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Got everything set up today - very pleased thus far.

I will say though, that the Tavor is quite the little pig; you don't' quite realize how heavy it is until you hold one.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Something wrong there. Of all the criticism on the Tavor, being unreliable is not one of them. I've not seen ANY reports of it having those issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Mags loaded with 5 rds of M193 of Thai DoD ammo.  Watch for ejected brass, video is only 20 sec long.

CD
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I wonder if all the weight on that side rail might be throwing something off. I believe those are more meant for lights/lasers. Not large, 3-4 pound thermal optics.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Took the thermal sight off and attempted to shoot normally.  Same failures to extract and eject.  Had two different lots of ammo also.  Both failed to cycle the guns.  We ceased after about 30 malfunction drills thru each gun.

CD
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#38]
No idea then, but that's definitely not normal. The gun wouldn't have a worldwide reputation for reliability, and a nearly flawless record for it in US consumer sales if the guns were remotely that prone to failure. Something must either be wrong with that batch, an armorer fucked them up, or something.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I know the guns have a good rep. or they won't get issued.  I only had one day on the range, 2 guns, 4 IWI mags and 2 lots of ammo, several shooters including myself and these two just would not function.  They also issue G3s, M16A1s, M4s, M60s, MAG58s, M1911A1s and BHPs that I've seen.  This was my first exposure to the Tovar but I'm sure it won't be the last.

CD
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 3:13:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don't have one for comparison, but i'd think so yes. When I mounted my M21 to my railed Tavor...the sight was the closest to perfect ive ever had a freshly installed optic be. It was dead on the iron sights, only needing a click or two of windage to be perfect. If definitely doesn't sit too low.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a testament to the fact that everyone's cheek weld is different, I initially found my M21 to be a bit too low for me. When I would bring the weapon up, I found myself having to readjust and "scrunch down" my head to acquire a good sight picture. I added a Yankee Hill Machine rail riser (which elevates accessories 1/2") and now the Tavor/Meprolight M21 combo works perfectly for me.

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#41]
I took my Tavor 16", suppressed, to the range today. I put a Viper PST 1-4 MOA on it. AMAZING GUN!
  Easy to shoot good groups at 100y with 55 and 77G.then come right back and dead on at 25/50 yards with this reticle.
   I will test it at 300 soon.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#42]
The MSE sight that CAA is importing looks interesting to me. Especially the model with both the visible and IR laser. Looks similar to the Mars sight too - think it'd look awesome on a Tavor.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Nikki seems to like her Mepro sight and Tovar

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top