Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 7:11:43 PM EDT
How come more military around the world didn't adopt bullpup?  Esp. 3rd world since they don't have as much dough as developed countries?  

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy licensing right instead of designing/building their own?  E.g., Brazil (Imbel), Mexico (FX-05), India(Insas), etc.

I realize that US/USSR/China used to give away M16/AK for free and/or help with factory blueprints/development.

I realized that Singapore, China, France, Belgium, Israel, UK, etc. did so but you would expect more countries to do so.

PS
[edit] I was referring to emerging market countries that decided to develop their own arms (design+build).  Yes, I realize that Cold War US/USSR policy was M16/AK discount bazaar.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Because you don't have to buy licensing rights for AR or AK platforms in 3rd world countries?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Why buy or build, when you can get for free?

We hate America.  Get free AKs from Soviet bloc countries.
We hate commies.  Get free M16s from America.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Why buy new when the U.S. and the U.S.S.R (and other coms) give stuff away at rock bottom prices or for free.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Beat me to it by 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe Sudan is adopting the STANAG variety of the Chinese bullpup for their elite units (such as they are).

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Too poor to develope or purchase them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]
The Steyr AUG is in use by Austria, Australia, Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador, Ireland, Luxembourg, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Pakistan, and I believe that ICE still has a pile of them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#8]
+1

To me, whether the countries are emerging or developed, it would make more sense to adopt a platform that is reliable and meet the present/future needs, beside being more cost effective.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Steyr AUG is in use by Austria, Australia, Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador, Ireland, Luxembourg, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Pakistan, and I believe that ICE still has a pile of them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've seen AUG's in Venezuela and Brasil.
Can't say how many they actually have, but they are there.

The US military has some AUG's also...

I assume there are A LOT of countries with the AUG, but nothing available on it publicly.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Scroll down to "Users". You'll be surprised what countries use them. That's just the AUG, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_AUG
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#11]
just curious but how come most of Commonwealth spec ops use M4?  Off thread but why?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
just curious but how come most of Commonwealth spec ops use M4?  Off thread but why?
View Quote

Because they can blame it on the US?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#13]

When you are absolutely on a budget with a new country and no cash flow....

AK47 ~

Cheap and about a days worth of training cost...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#14]
actually lot of guys like M4, even non-Commonwealth countries like Japan.  I believe Australian spec ops also like M4.

I think in terms of controls, M4 is fantastic but AUG points/mounts/maneuvers faster.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When you are absolutely on a budget with a new country and no cash flow....

AK47 ~

Cheap and about a days worth of training cost...
View Quote

+1 that is why Russian Federation stayed with AK74 with lot of AK47 still in use.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Since the end of the cold war, militaries have had their forces reduced and their budgets slashed. Also the economic situation today forces militaries to be frugal with what they have.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#17]
They spent all of the money on hookers and crack.....not to mention the pudding incident of Dar fur.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I assume there are A LOT of countries with the AUG, but nothing available on it publicly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Augs are probably the most common bullpup in the world. Among others, Malaysia and Algeria uses the Aug as their service rifle.

The Tavor has also been gaining alot of contracts these days. The Thai bought 100,000 to replace the m16a2 as their main service rifle. Colombia, Brazil, Ukraine, and India also bought licenses to produce Tavors. I've been seeing alot of them in Colombia, El Salvador, and other central American countries these days.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

AR's surpress well and between us Mil and civilians lots of various goodies to customize ars more than most things. As for the brits from everything I've read their service rifle is junk compared to the Tavor, AUG, or AR hence why no one else bought it. The freaking safety is on the butt stock if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

AR's suppress well and between us Mil and civilians lots of various goodies to customize ars more than most things. As for the brits from everything I've read their service rifle is junk compared to the Tavor, AUG, or AR hence why no one else bought it. The freaking safety is on the butt stock if I recall correctly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR's suppress well and between us Mil and civilians lots of various goodies to customize ars more than most things. As for the brits from everything I've read their service rifle is junk compared to the Tavor, AUG, or AR hence why no one else bought it. The freaking safety is on the butt stock if I recall correctly.

L85A1:

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#21]
The SA80  is an absolute nightmare even after several overhauls
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I heard the same thing but also, that shooting scores went up after they switched to bullpup.  Ditto for Australians and other countries which went to bullpup.

IMHO, Brits should have just license produced the AUG.

FWIW, Brits after WWII was very forward thinking with bullpup EM-2/280 British but US wanted .30cal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#23]
FWIW the safety on the Sa80 is above the trigger the lever on the right side is the bolt lock basically.

I agree that the US dictated to all the NATO countries that 7,62 would be the round it would use....
Yup, the Brits should have grabbed up the AUG but they would not accept anything but a domestic design.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I believe Sudan is adopting the STANAG variety of the Chinese bullpup for their elite units (such as they are).

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/sudanese-future-soldier-1.jpg
View Quote

What a terrible photoshop.

Anyway, AKs are cheap and easy to manufacture. M16s are free.

Also, both of those weapons have long track records (not to say that some bullpups don't)
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Straight from the Australian Spec Ops guys that I have spoken to (SAS and Commando), the reason is two fold.
1) interoperability with US Spec Ops units, with whom they do a lot of work and joint ops.
2) Easier to hang stuff off an M4 due to the rail systems than an AUG

Mick

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Scores went up only because of the optic on the AUG and the SA80.
The SA80 was a disaster because it was a design by committee and a lot of infighting. The story is well described in the book, "The Last Enfield".
It is described as "an AR18 shoved up the arse of an EM2"

Mick

Quoted:
I heard the same thing but also, that shooting scores went up after they switched to bullpup.  Ditto for Australians and other countries which went to bullpup.

IMHO, Brits should have just license produced the AUG.

FWIW, Brits after WWII was very forward thinking with bullpup EM-2/280 British but US wanted .30cal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Never read the book but from snippets here and there I'veread it was a monumental disaster
when it came out. You can def see the AR18 reference on the rear area.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

L85A1:

https://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1337/10/1337104964909.gif

Heh, I love that .gif.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
FWIW the safety on the Sa80 is above the trigger the lever on the right side is the bolt lock basically.

I agree that the US dictated to all the NATO countries that 7,62 would be the round it would use....
Yup, the Brits should have grabbed up the AUG but they would not accept anything but a domestic design.
View Quote

Your right just looked it up. But the selector lever is aft of the magazine Which is still a bad design even if you do just flip it to semi and forget about it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#30]
and the SUSAT optic?
Friend has one on a FAL

Hideous - would be a kind word....

I understad the "theory" behind the pointer...but it blocks
ALOT of the FOV
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
and the SUSAT optic?
Friend has one on a FAL

ALOT of the FOV
View Quote

FAL uses the Trilux SUIT sight; but, the SUIT and SUSAT are pretty much the same, just meant for a different rifle. I saw a SUSAT scope at a gun shop here in town once, case and everything. I wanted to buy it sooo bad just because I had never ever seen one in the wild. I think he wanted $2,000 for it, though.

However, the Brits are starting to use ACOGs now.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#32]
My understanding is that the later versions of SA80 (L85A2) has being more reliable, also, optics slowly going to ACOG.

It's being a while since I read DOD report on M4 reliability in Middle East/Afghanistan but even M4, whether A1/A2 variants, had MRBF of under 10K.

My understanding is that shooting scores were going up, even w/o the optic.

On a bullpup, because the weight of the weapon is closer to shooter's center of gravity, a steadier hold is much easier to accomplish.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

FAL uses the Trilux SUIT sight; but, the SUIT and SUSAT are pretty much the same, just meant for a different rifle. I saw a SUSAT scope at a gun shop here in town once, case and everything. I wanted to buy it sooo bad just because I had never ever seen one in the wild. I think he wanted $2,000 for it, though.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100417211807/guns/images/f/fd/L85a2_ris_acog.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and the SUSAT optic?
Friend has one on a FAL

ALOT of the FOV

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100417211807/guns/images/f/fd/L85a2_ris_acog.jpg

Thanks for the clarification !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top