Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2014 7:31:02 PM EDT
Looking to add something new to the collection other than another ar.  The tavor bullpup caught my eye.  The price tag is a little high around 1800.  Are they worth the money? If you were going to spend that kind of money would you buy something other than the tavor?  Looking to stay with 5.56, 308, or 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Tavor is a fine rifle and a nice change of pace from an AR.  You will find it a bit heavier than a comparably barreled AR, with a trigger that is atrocious by AR standards.  Aftermarket triggers are on the way to "fix" this.  Some people gripe about the low rail height on the Tavor making it difficult for them to get an acceptable cheek weld, however I don't find this to be an issue at all.  Driving it will seem a bit wonky at first coming from an AR, as the manual of arms is radically different.

We seem to spend most of our time in this sub-forum debating the relative merits of the Tavor versus the Steyr AUG, so you might take a look at the Steyr offering, as well.  It has its own set of plusses and minuses.  

If I could shave a pound or pound and a half off of either the Tavor or Steyr, that would probably be all I would ever shoot.  As it is, you can get to 11 or 12 pounds pretty easily with a light, optic and laser on either bullpup.  People will be along to tell you that it doesn't matter because they "balance so well".  This is true, but to me, 11 pounds is still 11 pounds if I am walking to a hunting blind with it, or shouldering it all day in a training class.  I weighed my AUG with 20" barrel today with a 1-4 optic, surefire millennium light BUIS and a 42 round mag and it came in at about 11.5.  Ugh.  Still love the thing though for the various other virtues it offers.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Like the aug (nato) beta
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Love my Tavor. The trigger's pretty heavy, but that's a common denominator for all bullpups. Other than being heavy though, the pull is crisp with little overtravel and has a very positive reset. Has built in back up iron sights with tritium posts. Not lightweight, but most of the weight is right in against your shoulder so when you're actually shouldering it the gun is pretty light. Good QD sockets built in. The mag release and bolt release work fantastic and make for faster reloads than I can get on my AR's. Accepts all AR mags. Ambidextrous. Could keep going for while.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both and I prefer the AUG.  Tavor is a very good rifle but the AUG is just excellent.  AUG mags are excellent, you can use AR mags, it pulls apart in major components in seconds.

I do love the Tavor mag release and bolt drop.  They are both fast once you get it down.

You can't go wrong either way, but if your looking at a Tavor, you should take a look at the AUG as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm on the other side of the fence, I LOVE the Tavor.  For nearly every aspect.  By the way, Atlantic has them new for $1,699 and used ones are floating around cheaper. The mag changes are lightning fast, I like the grip, angle, placement, and LOP better than the AUG.

Only downside to the tavor is the trigger leaves something to be desired.  I removed the second spring and that helped a ton, but it's no AR trigger. When the giesselle triggers come out I will jump on one. The tavor is quickly becoming my favorite rifle and perhaps my go to. Still need to take it thru a carbine class or two before I really decide.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Ditto. I tried an Aug and while I thought it was a cool gun, the ergonomics bothered me and I never really was completely thrilled by it. The Tavor, in the few weeks i've owned it, has become my favorite gun to shoot. As Reaper said, I wouldn't choose it as my go to quite yet because i've been shooting AR's for a decade... but after a few courses and I really get the hang of it? Maybe.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I was looking at an AUG but I came across an FDE 16" Tavor first so I went with it.  The Aug will come later but for right now, I am really liking the Tavor, especially how short the thing is.  The weight is a little heavy but I put on a Vickers sling on mine so the weight really isn't that noticeable.  It's just heavier than it look like it ought to be.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Is it worth the price? One short word: Yes!

My longer bit of advice: It's worth it to me. Only you can decide if it is worth that much to you. If you haven't had the chance to fondle one, yet, do that first. Even better if you can actually go out and shoot one. I was previously infatuated with the Steyr AUG and FN F2000. However, leaving the range with each of them left me less impressed. Those experiences left me with reservations about the Tavor, which is why I didn't rush out and buy it without getting to put one through the paces, first.

Don't get me wrong, different strokes for different folks has never been more true than in the realm of firearms. I knew I wanted a bullpup from the first time I saw the AUG. The Tavor isn't the perfect one for everybody, just like the AUG wasn't for me. All I'm saying is that if you've been driving pickups your whole life, you should test drive both the Mustang and the Corvette before deciding between them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]
It is not worth it to me; there are things about it I don't like.

To others, absolutely.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 2:59:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:16:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I have read that gen 2 Pmags have issues with these?  Have they fixed those problems yet?  I have a bunch of gen 2's that would need to work with this.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have read that gen 2 Pmags have issues with these?  Have they fixed those problems yet?  I have a bunch of gen 2's that would need to work with this.
View Quote

Yeah mine work fine, I've had zero issues. Also, im pretty forceful in my "swinging reload" so even if they were to stick a bit, they fly out. I'm more of a lancer guy tho anyway

ETA: I also like the weight balance far more than the AUG.  I'm a smaller guy, 5'9 and 145lbs and swinging the Tavor from target to target is child's play. Even my GF who is 5'2 has no real trouble at all, and she's tiny lol

(Still deciding what optic to run so a PA is currently sitting on top.  I'm seriously thinking an Elcan Specter 1-4x would be the perfect optic)

I also feel like it's even more point-able than my light weight AR, which is a full 1.5lbs lighter

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looking to add something new to the collection other than another ar.  The tavor bullpup caught my eye.  The price tag is a little high around 1800.  Are they worth the money? If you were going to spend that kind of money would you buy something other than the tavor?  Looking to stay with 5.56, 308, or 7.62x39.
View Quote

Only you can decide that one.  
Coming from my AUG, there were things I liked and things I didn't like about the Tavor I got to shoot, but if the AUG didn't exist, I'd very likely own a Tavor.
It's worth checking both the AUG and Tavor out in person, if possible.
In the worst case, if you buy one at a decent price, you can easily run around and sell it at minimal or no loss locally.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was worried about that too, but it's not an issue. That was with the Canadian models. The US models don't have bolt catch issues with Gen 2 pmags. They DON'T drop free from my rifle however, but because of how you do mag changes on the Tavor that doesn't really matter anyway. It's basically designed to have you strip out the mags as you push the release, and is just as fast if not faster than an AR mag change.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been an AR15 & Steyr AUG owner/shooter since the late 80's
Love to shoot both...

About 8 months ago a friend of mine who owns a gunshop called me and told me they had on Tavor in
and I stopped by after work. We broke it down and it showed the typical quality that
I was expecting from IWI - a respected military arms manufacturer.

Prior to it's import into the US I had read for a long time about the design/development of the Tavor and it's use by the IDF and
had dreamed of owning one - and I was not disappointed when I had the chance.
Was it hard to plunk down the (friend deal) $1800.00 plus tax I paid for her -...yes.
Am I disappointed in any way since doing so ? - Not at all.
(...and with IWI-US selling an unprecedented 20,000 rifles, just short of 12 months - neither are alot of other people)

It handles faster than my 16 inch LMT AR and I always have to keep in mind to slow down when shooting at multiple targets on a timed event
since there is ALOT less weight up from as compared to my AR's...or even my AUG  ( you can easily over-travel on targets )
I love the long stroke piston of the Tavor (Less parts than short stroke piston) and it actually has less of a recoil impulse than my AR - even with the standard A2 flash hider

Weight: For some odd reason many people are under the impression that bullpups are supposed to be lighter than a standard carbine.
My Tavor (without EoTech ) is right about 8lbs -. No big deal. The bullpup design DOES allow for better weight distribution and balance.
but I don't feel it was ever intended to be "lightweight" (A gallon of milk weighs 8.6 pounds by comparison)
The Steyr AUG is comparable in weight and length of pull on the trigger.

Adding another opinion - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock trigger on the Tavor - yes, it's heavy but crisp and the reset is short.
In the US Navy I qualified with an Hk Mp5  - THAT trigger was horrible by comparison - especially in a select fire weapon. There are some fixes for those who need to have a lighter AR type pull on the Tavor ranging from the secondary sear spring removal to aftermarket hammer pack.
I also appreciated other things on my model Tavor such as the BUIS and the Tritium front post.The two QD sling swivels and the really nice cleaning kit  - at no extra cost.
Even the instruction manual was first rate and from feedback here and on other forums customer service with IWI-US has been top notch.

Would I buy another one given the chance - yes.

Ppo
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 on the comment about the instruction manual on the tavor.  I think it is the most comprehensive owners manual I have ever gotten with a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a retired LEO/Mil friend look at my Tavor and compare it to his 16" AR-15.  We then proceeded to shoot the Tavor and evaluate the Bullpup.  He has served a couple of tours in Iraq, been an LE instructor overseas and a police Officer for 30 years including tactical team.  To put it bluntly he was impressed and could definitely understand why I wanted one.  We even evaluated the Tavor with the stock trigger with about 800 rounds through it.

I have found the Tavor  to be easily maneuvered and shot with one hand.  Opening doors while carrying a long gun can be a challenge but is easily accomplished with the Tavor.   The short length of the Tavor comes in handy if your in and out of police cars.  I wish I had one when I worked patrol.  The Tavor really shines in CQB and off hand shooting.   The ergo's seem to just fit me and I'm 5'9" with small hands and short arms.

The Tavor does not shoot off the bench as easily as my AR-15 or other rifles but it doesn't matter to me.  For the intended use the Tavor is a keeper.  I never liked the ergo's of the AUG or FS2000 but the Tavor suits me.  With SBR'S being illegal where I live the Tavor is a viable option.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
+1 on the comment about the instruction manual on the tavor.  I think it is the most comprehensive owners manual I have ever gotten with a firearm.
View Quote

Another +1 on that. Detailed descriptions. Part lists. Full color, bit by bit diagrams of everything down to taking the thing completely apart. Great manual.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had a retired LEO/Mil friend look at my Tavor and compare it to his 16" AR-15.  We then proceeded to shoot the Tavor and evaluate the Bullpup.  He has served a couple of tours in Iraq, been an LE instructor overseas and a police Officer for 30 years including tactical team.  To put it bluntly he was impressed and could definitely understand why I wanted one.  We even evaluated the Tavor with the stock trigger with about 800 rounds through it.

I have found the Tavor  to be easily maneuvered and shot with one hand.  Opening doors while carrying a long gun can be a challenge but is easily accomplished with the Tavor.   The short length of the Tavor comes in handy if your in and out of police cars.  I wish I had one when I worked patrol.  The Tavor really shines in CQB and off hand shooting.   The ergo's seem to just fit me and I'm 5'9" with small hands and short arms.

The Tavor does not shoot off the bench as easily as my AR-15 or other rifles but it doesn't matter to me.  For the intended use the Tavor is a keeper.  I never liked the ergo's of the AUG or FS2000 but the Tavor suits me.  With SBR'S being illegal where I live the Tavor is a viable option.
View Quote

(....another friend of mine went through all the hoops to get a 10.5 inch SBR AR15. ....and myTavor even with a 16.5  inch bbl is STILL shorter. he was pissed)
It is said that since 2010- 75% of the worlds population lives in urban centers.....and this is where a bullpup pattern rifle gives a distinct advantage..

I took both my Steyr AUG (16 inch bbl) and Tavor out to a friends range  where he trains LE & private security corp. types. The Tavor had a better balance all around and my guess the reason for that is the fact that the AUG's receiver is a pretty large mass of machined aluminum which sits primarily over the dominant hand as well as a heavier barrel profile and piston assembly -alot more weight on top and out front.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

For me Yes.  We all value money differently, but it was money well spent.  Truthfully, I haven't touched one of my AR15's since I got mine.  Considering I've never cared for bullpups I was rather surprised at how I took to it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:20:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I love all things bullpup, and the Tavor's trigger isn't the worst out there. I haven't bought one yet but I've put it at the toip of my rifle wishlist, and after fondling one at the LGS I think the reloads are absolutely brilliant. The entire unload/reload/charge process is as simple as gripping the mag and pulling it out, putting a new one in and letting go. Whomever designed those controls gets a beer on me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Are they worth the money?  YES.  It has replaced all my ARs as THE go to gun!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I want one but I'm still not sure myself. i get the piston is better argument that ak users use on me by locals. I have an Ar-15 that weighs 6lb 4oz with a t1. So its making it a hard decision because usually i tend to go lighter for a goto, and i'm not a collector. I think i still may buy a Tavor come summer but its a big purchase, if it were a lb lighter I'd probably have one already. i've also been keeping an eye on the one desert tech is making.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:07:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I want one but I'm still not sure myself. i get the piston is better argument that ak users use on me by locals. I have an Ar-15 that weighs 6lb 4oz with a t1. So its making it a hard decision because usually i tend to go lighter for a goto, and i'm not a collector. I think i still may buy a Tavor come summer but its a big purchase, if it were a lb lighter I'd probably have one already. i've also been keeping an eye on the one desert tech is making.
View Quote

Tavor is NOT lighter.  It IS more compact and easier to employ since the weight is different - ie - center of gravity is closer to your body, making it remarkably fast in CQB.   Everything is a compromise in the gun world.  nothing is perfect at everything.  You have to decide what is most important to you in a carbine.  To me speed at close quarters (house and car) was most important.  The TAVOR fits the bill perfectly.   I use only 40 round mags in mine and don't notice it a bit in my single point vest sling setup.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#25]
The Tavor really seems to be the platform if you want to use 40 round mags, you don't notice the length at all.
Maybe if you are built like Heavy Six it might hit you in the gut..

ETA - Got a insert with my Tavor good for a 20% discount on Meprolight optics thru the Mako Group, so $111 and change off my M21 if you are thinking of getting one. Be sure to get a copy of your 4473 as they want it as POP.
Sight is due today according to USPS tracking

ETA - Took it to the range and really liked the set up, I would say the trigger is like going from a nice 1911 trigger to a Glock trigger, pretty different but not bad, the AR I took that day also had a SSA-E trigger in it and the Tavor was not bad once you put a few rounds through it. Two other shooters came up to me and asked about it so I let them run some rounds through it and they both liked it.
Advantage over the AUG is the ejection is out the side with the Tavor and not the top like the AUG. Shooting lefty is fine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I didn't know that they made 40-round mags for the Tavor. So they cut two mags and spot weld them together?

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I didn't know that they made 40-round mags for the Tavor. So they cut two mags and spot weld them together?

View Quote

Any 40 round AR mag... like the Pmag 40, ect.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:45:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Tavor is not lightweight but the weight is aft and the rifle can be held against the shoulder with just the firing hand while I reach for another magazine, scratch my butt, or anything else.

-- Chuck
View Quote

This! The Tavor is well balanced and it feels lighter than an AR too me.

I may come from a different world since I was an infantryman. I don't want to come off as a jerk. But really? People complain about the weight of a Tavor?  I find it funny people complain about the extra weight of a piston AR or the heavier weight of an AR10. If someone can't handle the weight they just need to train with the weapon more or go to the gym, lol.

The Tavor has completely made my AR obsolete. Ya, the trigger sucks but it's not the end of the world.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I've never been a huge assault rife type of guy.  More into shotguns/long rifles.

I recently got a 6920 to get into the market.  Couldn't bring myself to really buying into the platform too much.  I didn't need a rifle that big to shoot a tiny .223.  Hell, I have smaller rifles that shoot .30-06.

Bought a bullpup and fell in love with the design.  If you can look past the smaller things, the bigger picture of bullpups are undeniable.  Very much worth the money.

Can't speak for Tavor too much as I don't own one but I've shot one and its a great rifle.

In terms of the price for Tavor vs other AR's.  Yes, well worth the money if you value CQB and versatility out of your rifle.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've never been a huge assault rife type of guy.  More into shotguns/long rifles.

I recently got a 6920 to get into the market.  Couldn't bring myself to really buying into the platform too much.  I didn't need a rifle that big to shoot a tiny .223.  Hell, I have smaller rifles that shoot .30-06.

Bought a bullpup and fell in love with the design.  If you can look past the smaller things, the bigger picture of bullpups are undeniable.  Very much worth the money.

Can't speak for Tavor too much as I don't own one but I've shot one and its a great rifle.

In terms of the price for Tavor vs other AR's.  Yes, well worth the money if you value CQB and versatility out of your rifle.
View Quote

That's a bad word around here.

The Tavvy is good to go, OP. The one thing I like about them over the AUG is they take AR mags. Only because I already have a number of AR mags though. Buy Lancer L5 AWM translucent mags if you want the see-through mags like the AUG has. Wait until they go on sale for $16 / mag though. The trigger in the Tavor felt a little better than the AUG's as well.

That said, I still like my AUG better. She's never skipped a beat in the years I've owned it, and I'm getting tired of being in a sea of AR owners everywhere I go. I'll be stocking up on AUG mags.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd recommend holding one, my gun store actually had one and I was initially all geared up to get one but after handling one it just isn't for me. I still like them but just not my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#33]
They Suck , I own two.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:09:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They Suck , I own two.
View Quote

.....lol
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I'd recommend holding one, my gun store actually had one and I was initially all geared up to get one but after handling one it just isn't for me. I still like them but just not my cup of tea.
View Quote
I went the ore way around.  Very meh about another bullpup, then played with one hat got transferred through.  Wanted one ever since.

MSARs were one I had been interested in, then felt one and figured out they were POSs
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I think they are. I have 600 rds thru mine. No failures at all. I have an Eotech on mine and target acquisition is fast and follow up shots a breeze. Far easier to handle then my AR's.

As others have said, it's an SBR without the stamp. I shoot mine suppressed and with the can it is shorter then a 10.5" AR SBR. So far it's a great rifle for me. I'd but this before I bought another high end AR.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Love mine.... want another...
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#38]
+1 you can never have too many bullpups, LOL!

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Tavvy is good to go, OP. The one thing I like about them over the AUG is they take AR mags. Only because I already have a number of AR mags though. Buy Lancer L5 AWM translucent mags if you want the see-through mags like the AUG has. Wait until they go on sale for $16 / mag though. The trigger in the Tavor felt a little better than the AUG's as well.

That said, I still like my AUG better. She's never skipped a beat in the years I've owned it, and I'm getting tired of being in a sea of AR owners everywhere I go. I'll be stocking up on AUG mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you mean "assault weapon."

"Assault Rifle" is pretty widely accepted, hence the name of the website you are currently on.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I still say they suck , still own two and now will pick up a Aug , nato version tomorrow , I think i may have caught something.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#41]
The AR in AR-15 stands for Armalite Rifle, not assault rifle.
An assault rifle is a fully automatic cousin of the modern sporting rifles most of us posess.
The misuse of that term is the reason it is a bad word around here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think you mean "assault weapon."

"Assault Rifle" is pretty widely accepted, hence the name of the website you are currently on.
View Quote

Nope. Like dude said above me. Armalite Rifle model 15.

I don't give the anti's fuel. Assault is a verb or action, not a noun.

Even if you wanted to look up the definition of it in the dictionary, an "Assault Rifle" is described as a select fire, intermediate cartridge chambered rifle that accepts a detachable box magazine. Our rifles lack that first characteristic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top